Strong & Sensible

HA! I'm back again! So, neck got a little stiff last night, that''s ok, what's a bit more irritating, my shoulder blade pain spot (massage and I call it my special spot) was on the verge of being a not good pain and irritating. It's the spot I first felt pain when my neck went out, so I think there is some nerve damage there that causes it to flare easily. What this means, my 2 lb weights were just enough and I think it best to have at least 3 days I don't work that area again (I think back and shoulder work is the worst for my neck). I'm going to try to do cathe, just less weights and less often....doing it SENSIBLY!! Ah, the thread title! My legs were ok, but I do have more glute and calf soreness on left side.....I must use my right side more when I cycle, hence why, my right QL is always tight. So rest days for me the next 2 days, good thing because it's cool, windy and I have a hair cut appt tomorrow. Today will be quilting the totoro quilt. Jody, I'll make sure to take a pic once done and post here (can't post on FB because it's a surprise for the kids).

Hi everyone

Oh dear, everything's on the previous page apart from Lisa's last post. I'll see if I can remember ...

Lisa - that sounds like a warning! Did you enjoy doing HR after all that time? It's good you're being sensible though. I guess you could do other Cathes like Turbobarre and that ICE floor lower body one if you've got it. I know you're not a yoga person, but you could look out for ones that specifically are for people with neck problems or ones that help stretch out your tight areas. Enjoy your rest anyway.

Jody - well done on the workouts and weight loss! Keep up the good work. I'm not a Downton person, never seen an episode, not really my cup of tea! We went to see a really good Chinese film called The Farewell the other night, about a Chinese woman going back to China from the states to visit her dying grandma. It sounds really serious but it was very funny as well.

So, I've been taking it a bit easier this week, doing a few different DVDs I've not done for a while including KCM and Michelle Dozois. It's lovely having DD back. We're having a day shopping tomorrow as I really need some new clothes.

Ronne, have fun this week! I've got a few other movies I'd like to see, but they often come and go before I get around to it. I did enjoy Downton but that was really a mom opportunity, if you know what I mean.
Lisa, yes take care of your neck!!
Mary and Tracy, how goes??
I did upper body from FS today, very loosely, DVD was on and I was just rushing through hitting body parts, but at least Cathe and I were in the same room. I don't think I said, but colonoscopy was fine yesterday, so most of my body parts are checking out OK and Project Jody Improvement is coming along. Very weird being a patient though. I'm watching the nurse push the propofol and I'm thinking, I wonder how much...zzzzzzz. Tomorrow I go with mom very early for her upper and lower scopes. woop woop

Lisa, how is the quilt going? How long does it take anyway?
Ronne, my friend just asked me to join her in England for Guy Fawkes but I will pass, flights are a little high last minute, but I was tempted!
Mary, do you do any step?
I pulled out LIC and did most of it. But imagine "Tap the step" = gestures vaguely to the side.

I decided to start my low weights version of sts, so did ch, sh, bi. I skipped most of the push-ups, subbed some bench press. I also remembered that some shoulder exercises is easier if I do 1 arm at a time so I basically only did half of those. Better than nothing! I also did core max #1. I might not get to all the leg workouts, will do those if it's too cold to cycle which it is now since we got snow last night, hopefully a ride on Saturday before more cold weather.

Jody it took me 2 weeks working in it a lot each day, here's the pic, hope this attaching pics works!

Hi everyone! My reprieve went too fast!

Lisa, that quilt is adorable! I’m sure they will love it!
Glad to hear you are being sensible about the weights, you certainly don’t want to go back to where you were.

Jody, you and Cathe in the same room! Lol! You make me laugh!
Head to toe you have been checked, kudos to you! It’s hard to make time for all of that and you did it!

Ronne, is DD on fall break? I was getting excited I would get to come and spend some time in your area. DS was up for a Rhodes Scholarship, he didn’t get it tho, he was a bit disappointed, I’m was torn, now he will be within a 6 hour drive instead of 6 hour flight.

Hi Tracey!

Have been working, niece is in her apartment, move went well, family is coming to town this weekend. Not much else! Hope everyone is well! Mary

We did a 16 mile ride today and planning a ride tomorrow, after that snow, cold, snow!

Ronne, I did enjoy doing Cathe...it was like putting on a pair of comfortable old shoes :) What did you find shopping?

Mary, I bet it's nice having the house back to normal :)

Scrolling through FB, Missing cathe road trip this weekend, kinda wish I was there! I guess I'll stay at work and earn a living. Lisa, love the quilt! Waves~~♡♡

Hi everyone

Jody - well done on being in the same room as Cathe!! That made me smile. Also good news on all the clear results for you. It would have been fun to have you here for Bonfire Night...

Lisa - good start on sts (lisa's version)! I did pretty well shopping actually, thanks for asking, trousers, skirt, two jumpers and a top. I can rely on DD to tell me the truth :p

Mary - that would have been so cool if DS had got the scholarship. I walk past the building on my way into town! Oh well, so now niece is gone, is the house feeling empty?

Not much in the way of workouts to report, a bit of yoga on Friday and I think that's been it. Yesterday was room clearing max; we're having some work done (shelves built in), so we cleared all the current shelves and are emptying the room for the carpenter. We managed to give a lot of the old stuff away which is great. When we lifted the bookcase off the carpet though, it was disgusting underneath!! :eek:
We've had torrential rain for a few days but the sun has come out today so we're off to visit an old house again. Clocks went back last night so got to make the most of the light!

Lisa, do you plan to go through all of STS? How much body weight stuff can you do? I like the non traditional theme for baby.

Ronne, good luck on construction project. Those bookshelves had probably been there for awhile. I wouldn't be shocked by any manky-ness around here behind and under stuff. I just had some repairs done to my exterior of my condo. Same job and I got price quotes for 700, 1200, 2700, 4000. I went with $1200 guy. He spent quite a bit of time berating his helper very very loudly- calling him stupid over and over again. The helper quit in the middle of the job. Point being, I guess I needed to pay extra for professionalism?

Mary, how is the child care working out? Are you done mowing for the year? If DS had made it to Oxford, you would have missed him but loved the travel opportunity for sure. It is so amazing that he is in the running for such opportunities. Super congrats to him on that front!!

I did 20 min yesterday at work- 5 flights of stairs up then recovery walk down. I lost count but I think it was 8 or 9 times. I'll do something this morning like push ups and planks before day of appointments and errands to include cat to vet, work meeting, hair appointment and food prep - I am considering that air fryer toaster oven thingy.

Hi all! How is everyone? I’ve been working, have been working out too.

Jody, I’m done babysitting, he got kicked out of his preschool, something about not focusing, lol he’s 4! Of course he’s not focused! School said he wasn’t a “good fit” so he had to go to an all day school. Did they finish your condo? That scenario would have made me so uncomfortable.

Lisa, can’t believe you are getting snow all ready! Cold here, snow on the other side of town, bypassed us thankfully. Are you still doing the weights? Any issues?

Ronne, how did the shelves turn out? I love re-vamping things!

Really, just working, not much else. I sound kind of boring! Kids will be home in a couple weeks! Getting excited! Hope everyone has a good weekend! Mary

Hello friends : )
Mary, oh my gosh to pre-school woes. I do think some kids fit in better in "schooly" situations. Boring is nice sometimes!

Lisa, your favorite trail is back open according to Strava, yes? Yea!

Ronne, I did a little clean max myself this week and also revamping in my workout area. Ideally I'd be doing some painting and other decor planning throughout the downstairs.

Tracy, are you stepping away at your work these days?

I'm not feeling very motivated today but yesterday I did ICE BC and day before was LIS something upper bodyish and a few short easy bike rides as well. It is drizzly off and on here, but maybe I'll slog out and do some garden prep, I think I can get some lettuces and Swiss chard going. Or maybe I'll stay in and finish Rules of Civility. Did I mention lack of motivation?
Weird things I've seen lately- a snail eating an almond and road kill including a large hog and a large gator, and live bird sightings including a crested caracara and roseate spoonbill.

Hi ladies,

Well, I quit lifting, my neck just get too stiff and tight and bad feeling that night, then it’s been getting tight from little things by the end of the day. I need a massage! Was supposed to get one last tues , but oh the snow! Frigid temps here too. Good thing we got in a bike ride and the rake max, otherwise the leaves would be a mess, got a foot of snow! And the bitter cold temps keeps it around, was below freezing for 5 days, ugh! We had the hottest sept ever and now the coldest October! So, while I was perusing you tube, I stumbled onto some nutritional videos. I decided to give apple cider vinegar a try. It has cured my heartburn! Not sure if you all knew how bad I was getting it (thanks mom). So I binged watched this dr (Eric berg) and I decided to do some intermittent fasting and keto. I have lost some lbs, and hope this is what will work for me at this stage of life. I started recording my weight and stats and it’s funny this is the weight when I started cathe to lose weight.

Jody, yes, that trail has reopened! It was hard! Guess I’m not used to that route, it used to be so easy! Did you get the air fryer? I have not used them, I’m really tired of figuring out what to eat and then sit down and it’s meh. I did have some kettle organic bone broth with fish sauce, egg scrambled in with sesame oil on top on my new eating plan, aka egg drop soup. It was good, I think I like slurping and less chewing.

Mary, I bet you’re relieved in regards to babysitting! Boring is always good!

Ronne, hows the remodel going? We’ve accumulated so much stuff I feel sorry for the kids if it ends up being them that have to clear it all out. We plan to stay here forever

I’m getting massage Thursday, my neck can’t wait!

Lisa good luck and welcome to the world with your ACV, keto low carb and IF! I didnt get the fryer thing yet, there are two styles. One is like toaster over and one is like pressure cooker. I prefer to be able to do beans and rice but the toaster oven one might tick a lot of boxes for dd.
I may focus on ICE for a few weeks. Ill pull 30ish minute mash ups out. I originally thought of doing the series for a month but I'm already ready to change so I'll give this a try.
Ice CLBB TS and CUB standing only TS done.
Lisa, sensible on no weights and I'll look up your keto guy.

Last edited:
Jody, are you going to join me in this eating plan? I’m managing 18 to 19 hr fasts with just 2 meals, but when we cycle I’ll have to add a meal and a couple of hrs to the eating window. I had such great results with ACV I thought I’d give it a try, especially since I know I’m sensitive to carbs and one sis was getting close to pre-diabetes and the other is a full on diabetic with peripheral neuropathy (she’s done nothing to improve her eating or knowledge. I must admit though I’m doing a loose version of keto, ie. A bit of pasta every once in a while. His philosophy on not snacking between meals makes sense and isn’t what I always thought where you needed snacks to keep blood sugar balanced. So, I’m willing to try it!

Bike ride today, I had a green smoothie before, definitely need to eat more next time! I just have to figure out what.

Hi ladies

Been pretty busy so haven't been able to get here.

Jody - bad luck with the workman, that's horrible that the assistant had to quit during the job. We did pay a fortune for our work but it is excellent and the guy was really professional. We're really pleased with it. Love your wildlife spotting!

Lisa - so you're getting into the strange diets?!! ;) Great if it's working out for you. Sounds like a lot of work. Hope the snow has lifted a bit for you to get out on the bike.

Mary - quiet and boring is good! Sometimes I wish for that!

I was away last weekend with a friend. Had a great time, lots of walking, museums, food and drink. Then I met my mum in London on Weds for theatre and dinner. Haven't done much working out as I've injured myself a bit. I came back from my break with backache and thought I would get it out by exercising but it made it worse. So I haven't done anything at all for two days and today I did some very gentle yoga which did seem to help. I'm laying off the demanding workouts until this is better as I think I could end up really hurting myself.
I'm looking forward to a quiet few days now as it's been bit relentless!
Got to catch up on housework this weekend!

Quickie to post Ice MTB today and Ice BC on Wed. Lisa I've been a fan of keto low carb for a few years and have been really happy with results, but I'm like an alcoholic with sugar and carbs so when I'm off the wagon it's pretty ugly. So basically when I've reference doing well it's meant low net carb keto, ideally plant rich.. ACV is a staple in my pantry as well.

Hello everyone! Just working here!

Lisa and Jody, I commend you on your diet, I am going to root you on from the sidelines! I am not very disciplined, I admire you!

Ronne, sounds like a wonderful weekend!

Really not much here, work, working out, cleaning. Going to friends for dinner tonight. Also trying to stay warm, we were in the 50’s, now jumping to the 20’s. It was too rapid for my body to adjust! Hope all is well. Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.