Pyramid Up or Down to increase muscle mass

I would think Pyramid Down. You are really challenging your muscles by lifting as heavy as you can first and then lowering the weights as you go down the pyramid.

Crystal

I was thinking that recently someone posted that you pyramid up for size, down for a 'ripped' look. I have finished 12 weeks of pyramid up (my longest rotation EVER - I am truly addicted to those workouts) and am now starting to pyramid down. I don't plan on doing this down for as long of a rotation, but we'll see - I just love the ball work and the results I've had with the lower body and upper body.

Hi,

Increasing muscle size is mostly determined by genetics and muscle fiber type, but the truth is, in order to increase both size and strength, one must apply the principle of overload. That is, doing more work than the body is normally accustomed to doing.

You must choose a weight that will allow for momentary muscle fatige within the desired repetition scheme, whether it be the high or low end of the rep range. This applies to all types of strength training be it pyramid, superset, or straight sets. Most women simply will not use heavy enough weights, and so us instructors must find other creative ways to trick them into achieving muscle failure, such as higher rep schemes and higher set schemes (which is really what pyrmaiding is about).

I often read on the forums that some people got better results with lighter weight and more reps, but no one seems to consider the fact that the reason this approach worked was because the muscle was brought to fatigue, or failure, by the end of the rep set with the lighter weight (overload), not necessarily because a lighter weight was chosen. Were these people really bringing the muscle to failure by the end of their shorter sets by choosing a heavy enough weight to accomplish the goal?

My advice is to not worry about which type of training is best to increase mass, but remembering to always apply the overload principle within your desired rep scheme, and change the approach every few weeks or so for optimum results.

-Roe

Ditto what Roe said.
As for pyramid up vs. pyramid down. I'd experiment with both, to find out which one works best for you psychologically. They both would be beneficial, but maybe you can psych yourself up to get a better workout with one than the other. Pick one and try it!

Rachel3

Hi Rachel I answered the same question on a different post and thought you'd be interested in some more suggestions;-)
Pyramid up or down???
As for my recommendations(and honest opinion) on building larger muscles! Pyramiding your weight up or down on each successive set is a "great" technique if you're trying to peak for a maximum lift or break a plateau, but probably isn't the best way to achieve steady improvements! If you pyramid all the time, you tend to see smaller gains, because you spend too much time peaking without building a sufficient base to peak with. I recommend to cycle your training, building a base with routines geared toward straight sets, then focusing on pyramiding near the end of a cycle as you strive for new levels of strength. Remember to continually use heavy enough weights that stress the muscles to failure or near-failure, whether pyramiding or using the straight-set approach, (using a weight that is heavier than you typically use is not considered "heavy" weight if you can still complete 10 to 12 reps with it). (Try for 6 - 8 reps if you are not doing that now with a rest between 45 secs no more than 2 mins)You should also have a full rest day in between and your protein intake should be adequate to your daily needs!

Once your reach your goal,(always set a goal for yourself so that you have a plan that keeps your organized and focused! Don't lock yourself into the same workout ! Try to vary your workouts ! You can stick with basic exercises, but vary the order, sets, rep range - even throw in techniques like forced reps, supersets ,push pull,partial reps or rest-pause for extra stimulus.

Hope you find this info useful in creating your own programs that suits your own personal needs!

This may be a really basic question, but I thought you were supposed to pyramid up and then back down. Do you only do one and not the other?

>This may be a really basic question, but I thought you were
>supposed to pyramid up and then back down. Do you only do one
>and not the other?
>
On the DVD, there are options to do "pyramid up" only or "pyramid down " (which is more like a "drop set," where you do as many reps as you can with the highest weight, then drop to a lower weight.

Personally, I do the entire pyramid. I just wouldn't feel that I got enough of a workout without it.

Another idea in response to the original question: I have read about a body builder who does a pyramid up with the same weights. That might be a technique to build more muscle. Just do the 8, 10, 12 reps, but don't change weight.

RE: Rachel3

Thanks so much for the fantastic responses. I admit I do not push myself to use heavier weight. These days I am just trying to get through the workout b/c I have so much to do afterwards. I will print out your responses for future reference, maybe one day I will be able to focus more.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.