Like/review/verify/don't buy check in for 2016- 2024

bayerngirl

Cathlete
This thread is for everyone that wants to slow down your workout dvd purchases for 2016 and use what you already have. I have to admit my workout dvd purchases for 2015 was out of control :) I don't use half of what I bought. Heck, I still haven't used the ones I bought when College Video closed last year :p I am not saying I will never buy another workout dvd, I just need to pump the brakes a little and not jump on every band wagon :) My goal for 2016 is to use the dvd's I already own and purchase only those that do not meet components of this thread!

like = like what I see?
review = review the content
veryify = do I already have something similar?
don't buy = if I have something similar, stop purchasing on impulse:p

If you don't like the title to this thread, let me know what you want to name it :) Everyone is welcome to join, no judgement if you slip, it is just to encourage us to buy only what we need in our collection.

I too am pledging to use what I already have. Getting ICE and got Cathe Live as a Christmas present already. I may receive a few others as gifts from Santa, but starting in 2016, I am going on the no buy list.

Although to be honest, once Cathe has her next pre-sale I know I will get that, but no others! Need some accountability here.

Thanks for starting.

I definitely need to join this!!! I have one more purchase to make (I want to get the "extra" DVDs of Chalene Extreme). I love her and at the time I bought the set I had no idea they existed. So I will get those and be DONE! Although I told my husband a long time ago that I have to buy Cathe's preorders. I end up getting them anyway and it's cheaper if I do the preorder. I have so many different programs that I should be set for a VERY long time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto on the pump the brakes, DH is not helpful, occasionally giving me the green light, when I should know better.

Mini-review P90 Sculpt B - burned a boatload of calories after a short dance cardio warm up (T.A. is a go-to and gets me going). Moderate weights, and solid effort gave me a good total body workout. Note: Gold's Gym door attachment & bands are both more durable & easier to work with. Overall score. A. and a little star for me for getting it out.

I'm always allowed to buy Cathe, too, ha! Thanks for starting!

I'm in too! I always think mid-video when doing one I haven't done in a while "I bet if I did this on a regular basis my (legs, butt, arms, xxx) would get really (strong, shaped, etc). So I'm going to work on doing rotations I haven't done, re-doing rotations I thought were great and mastering all the DVDs I already have as well as some of the books and paper programs I bought and started or did half of!

Here's what I have that I'd like to do another run-through or do to completion/mastery:
Paper/book programs:
New Rules of Lifing: Supercharged and Strong. (I think those might be 20 weeks of programming alone!)
#Torch your dumbells (8 weeks)
Lift Weights Faster 2

Video Programs:
Ripped with Hiit
XTrain
STS
P.I.N.K

Videos (not part of a program)
Amy Bento's advanced step challenges 1, 2,3,4, 5 (that could take me a while to master all of them)
Athletica 2 & 3
X10
LIFT (Kelly Coffey)
Plateau Buster (Kelly Coffey)
Butts and Guts
IMax 3

I'm allowing myself to purchase one month of On Demand to do a rotation of ICE and maybe some Cathe Live but then that's it!!

I am in too. I really have cut down some this last year. This is the first year I did not pre-order Cathe but know I will get them eventually. The only thing of hers I do not have is the ab compilation that is on her other workouts. Right now I have Kelly Coffey's new workouts coming and Hammer and Chisel. Now if I ask for workouts for mothers day or my birthday or Christmas that really doesn't count :D I have so many workouts that I had to get binders to hold them because my book shelves wouldn't hold them all. I have found that jumping on a bandwagon with new workouts sometimes means I get something that I don't care for. I have learned to research and sometimes wait to see if the excitement dies down over a new workout series. I am still on the fence on 21 Day Fix Extreme. I have heard good and I have heard bad. I have put it in my shopping cart and taken it back out many times. I am buying Hammer and Chisel because I loved Body Beast. There are certain instructors that I always purchase there workouts without worrying and Cathe is one of them. Funny here we are talking about purchases and right now I have all of these workouts and I am doing online workouts from fitnessblender.com which are free unless you purchase a program they put together for you. I purchased an 8 week fat loss program and a 4 week core program for a little over 11 dollars when they had their discount day. I just wanted something different for awhile and they have some interesting ways of putting together all kinds of workouts.
Today was lower body for me and a cardio workout.

So I guess I've been musing as to "why" I feel so drawn to over-spend on DVDs and workout programs... Do I feel justified because working out is good for me? Am I just falling for the marketing hype and failing to see the real reason the programs I have don't change my body? (hint- can you say sweet tooth?) Do I really think there is something new or better? Do I feel I am missing out on something or not keeping up with "the Jonses"? Or I just have bright shiny object syndrome??
Tomorrow is New Rules of Lifting Supercharged - Basic I workout A (NROL SC B1A in my workout journal) for me. Full body workout - I'm looking to add a few pounds to last weeks squats, rows and step-ups. I'll then have one more week of Basic I before moving onto Basic II.

What I'm liking about this program so far:
1. I checked the book out from the library and downloaded the workout sheets online so it cost me a whopping $0.
2. It sets up a template for each workout "cycle" of about 4 weeks and I pick the exercises that fit into slots in the template. I'm planning to use it to work on some verify specific strength goals.... ie. unassisted chin up, squats, deadlifts, pistols and maybe even a handstand pushup (still thinking about that one)
3. Inside the templates the program calls for "metabolic" and "intervals" where I have been plugging in some of my favorite DVD premixes or other programs I have (In one metabolic section I use a 10 min from Lift Weights Faster, in one interval section I've done Ripped with Hitt Plyo or Low Impact Hitt) So I feel like its been a good usage of other stuff I already have.
4. Progression! Like STS it moves through phases, muscle endurance, hypertrophy, etc.

Today, Tonique CardioMat. I put this in the ones I don't want to collect dust column. Toughie. Actually looked at KBKB coed a couple times; BeSlam 2, like the paper workout thing; and of all things, Dream Body Sweat Lab. Caught hold of my senses & dialed back though, I do have some similar things I have yet to complete. Leaning towards singles lately & want to revisit Jillians again. There's more of her's that remain undone. they always work really good for me though, I don't know why I don't do them more often.

Reactions: WD
Today Fitness Blender 8 week Fat Loss was upper body cardio interval, it was in the 5 day challenge, 44 minutes 266 calories. I went on to the 4 week core but just did the extra credit since the main workout was a hiit cardio/core workout. The fat loss program which is my main focus has 63 minutes or hiit core work tomorrow. The extra credit was a total body weight cardio tabata that had a lot of upper body weight work in it. 12 minutes, 98 calories. I finished off with the Pilates workout that was the optional workout for Sunday which is my rest day. This was 15 minutes, 45 calories. Total workout time was 71 minutes and calories burned 409.

dmerz, I have some book workouts too. I actually bought The New Rules of lifting for abs and never did anything with it other than try some of the exercises. I also bought Rachel Cosgroves Female Body Breakthrough which I did but kind of used portions of different workouts that I put together because I have a hard time just following paper workouts. She has a tendency to not add much for arms. I have a rotation that I put together once from one of Rachel's programs I saw online but used portions of P90X, Cathe and Amy, and Tracey Staehle. It worked really well and I have since used it but switched up workouts a bit. I had one that I did that eliminated so many push ups from P90X. I hate push ups!!
I was getting bored awhile back and pulled out some oldies. There are some really great tough workouts that I forget I have.

112toguru I used to do Tonique. I am not sure if I still have any of those. They are really tough burners.

This week is my recovery week :) The only thing I am doing this week is taking care of my husband and walking. My husband had surgery last week, he tore his rotator caff in 4 places plus his bicep :)

Diane Sue, how are the Fitness Blender program workout different from the stuff they offer free on YT? I mean, can you find all the workouts on youtube or do they sent you different workouts? I was wondering about the Fitness Blender 8 Week Fat Loss program:)

dmerz, I have a lot of paperworkouts/books but never done any :( I have to follow a dvd or the workout never gets done :) I am glad you like the program, heard nothing but good things about it.

112toGuru, I have Tonique CardioMat and it's still in shrink wrap :) I just can't get into anything Tonique? Not sure why? Maybe I need to give that one a try one of those day's. I only had it for a few years :(

Belinda, I am not sure if all of the workouts from fitness blender are on you tube. They might be, but it takes me forever to get exactly what I want. I have used it for some individual workouts. I use my laptop and hook it up via HDMI cable for a larger screen. I don't know how familiar you are with them but, you can put in what you are looking for under full workouts. The 8 week fat loss program is different workouts from the full workouts put together in a rotation for you. I paid for it and I can just click on my purchased programs and drop it into my calendar. Each day I go to the calendar and click on the day and all of the workouts that are scheduled for that day come up. I check them off as the workout complete when done. It does show alternative workouts for beginners and low impact stuff as well. You can also add the workouts individually yourself without purchasing. www.fitnessblender.com .

Also, on the pages where the workout is there is generally a complete write up on ways to do the workouts and suggestions as well as a breakdown of all of the moves which is extremely helpful when planning.

I'm still recovering from a knee injury. Today mixed up some Cathe Low Impact Circuit with Xtrain AOLIH. My plan is too go through my low impact workouts until the 23rd. Then I'm taking a full recovery week until Jan 2nd.

Hopefully I'll have ICE by then and will plan a rotation with that and Cathe Live.

Belinda, I am not sure if all of the workouts from fitness blender are on you tube. They might be, but it takes me forever to get exactly what I want. I have used it for some individual workouts. I use my laptop and hook it up via HDMI cable for a larger screen. I don't know how familiar you are with them but, you can put in what you are looking for under full workouts. The 8 week fat loss program is different workouts from the full workouts put together in a rotation for you. I paid for it and I can just click on my purchased programs and drop it into my calendar. Each day I go to the calendar and click on the day and all of the workouts that are scheduled for that day come up. I check them off as the workout complete when done. It does show alternative workouts for beginners and low impact stuff as well. You can also add the workouts individually yourself without purchasing. www.fitnessblender.com .

Also, on the pages where the workout is there is generally a complete write up on ways to do the workouts and suggestions as well as a breakdown of all of the moves which is extremely helpful when planning.

Thanks Diane Sue :) I done a few Fitness Blender workouts on youtube before and really like them. I was looking into the Fitness Blender program just the other day and was wondering? I do like the idea like a rotation instead of me looking through all the videos on YT :) Once you buy the program can you use it over and over again? Or does it expire?

I'm still recovering from a knee injury. Today mixed up some Cathe Low Impact Circuit with Xtrain AOLIH. My plan is too go through my low impact workouts until the 23rd. Then I'm taking a full recovery week until Jan 2nd.

Hopefully I'll have ICE by then and will plan a rotation with that and Cathe Live.

Wishing you a speedy recovery :) Like your plan.

Catgirl, I am sorry about the knee injury. I had surgery for a torn meniscus 2 years ago. I still have to be careful what I do. I mix in low impact workouts a lot and use my rebounder for some of the jacks and impact in workouts where it is possible. I think I would have been better off to have backed off more than I did when it started hurting. Good idea to be careful for awhile.

Bah- today was hard. After Jen Stinkler's email message about "voting with our dollars" about a program that promised strength and not "fat loss". However- I've held fast and resisted the Unapologically Powerful program and will let the sale expire unused!!

I totaled my fitness program purchases for 2015..... $292.20. Shesh -and that doesn't include shoes, clothes, or equipment!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: WD
Bah- today was hard. After Jen Stinkler's email message about "voting with our dollars" about a program that promised strength and not "fat loss". However- I've held fast and resisted the Unapologically Powerful program and will let the sale expire unused!!

I totaled my fitness program purchases for 2015..... $292.20. Shesh -and that doesn't include shoes, clothes, or equipment!

WOW, you did really good on your fitness program purchases for 2015 :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.