knee replacement?

garance

Cathlete
Has anyone here had a knee replacement? I am scheduled for one on October 3 (after several years of nursing it along with cortisone shots) and wonder if I will ever do Cathe again after rehab.

Hi
I had a knee replacement almost 18 months ago and yes I can still do Cathe! I had exercises that they had me do before and after surgery. The best ones were the ankle pumps and quads sets. I thought they were silly exercises at first but they actually really helped especially after surgery. The quad sets you lie on your back press your knees downward into the mat or floor and tighten your quads. hold for 5 seconds for many reps. you will do a lot of those after surgery too. also knee extensions. I had a physical therapist come to my house for 3 weeks about 2 to 3 X a week. Then I had PT for approximately 3 months. It will seem like a slow progression but I found every week I did make progress. The first week after surgery I used a walker and then the next week I could use a cane. Another example I could only go up my stairs with the same leg leading and then I could climb my stairs using alternating legs. It just seemed every week I was able to do more.
Do you have a exercise bike.? I used my lifecycle starting with no tension and later as weeks went on I would add a little bit more tension. I still find if my knee ever feels stiff I hop on my bike and get it moving it feels better. But always check with your DR and PT!
I do not do high impact cardio, but I can do Cathe's low impact cardio, spin, kickboxing (with some modifications) and her barre and weightwork. I do not go very heavy on the legs. Just work with your surgeon and physical therapist.
I have a friend who had her knee done and 3 to 4 months later she was back playing tennis!
Good luck to you! I am sure it will go very well and smoothly!!
Jenn

Thank you so much! I do a lot of modifying on Cathe as well and have no trouble with her low impact or kickboxing. It sounds like I will be enjoying my new knee by the spring.

Has anyone here had a knee replacement? I am scheduled for one on October 3 (after several years of nursing it along with cortisone shots) and wonder if I will ever do Cathe again after rehab.
I had a knee replacement one year ago. I am doing very well. The best, and only, comment I can say is that as far as recovery, it is not passive, but an active recovery.
I had a knee replacement 1 year ago, and will never look back. Recover is extremely important. The recovery is not passive like in most surgeries, but an active recovery. The key is to have an excellent physical therapist. My physical therapist gave me recovery exercises to do every day, they have be done every hour, bend, stretch, lift, every hour, and ice every 2 hours. That was a surprise to me, it was rough, but it is the most important factor, so I listened to the physical therapist and now I am doing great. If the exercises are not done, the knee will stiffen up and may require additional surgery. I just had my 1 year check up and he said I am doing excellent. I am back to Cathe, doing squats, lunges, jacks, and it feels so good. You will be fine, remember to take the physical therapy very seriously, the doctor does the operation, but the rest is up to you.

Thank you workouts! I am now actually looking forward to getting this taken care of and doing the physical therapy.

Linda... best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery.

my SIL had knee replacement a few years ago and has done poorly. (this is a "cautionary tale") Very few people share her bad attitude toward health professionals.

I am sure you will do the work. SIL never did what she was told, thought physical therapists were "out to get her money". so to save a few hundred dollars, she went thru the procedure and now has a failing knee.
My ACL surgery was a much smaller scale but required therapy. that knee is better than the non surgically altered one. I listened to my doc and my therapist and did my homework. You will do fine!

Last edited:
Thanks Valerie! My surgery is on Tuesday. I have been doing preoperative exercises already and the surgical team will be setting up PT for me the following week. I don't pay anything for PT.

I will echo what beemerjen1 said about the exercise bike. great low impact exercise and range of motion. I got on my bike in about 24 hours after ACL surgery. I checked with my doc first, he said, 'let pain and swelling be your guide". if unpleasant ... stop. it was scary to make the first revolution but it didn't hurt. It was an old beater exercise bike but had adjustable seat and tension and it worked fine. I did 5 or 10 minutes at first and increased quickly as it made things feel better. and kept me busy and feeling like I was doing something. I can sit and pedal a bike a lot longer than I can do floor exercises. I had a load of those to do too. at the time, formal PT didn't start until 2 weeks after ACL surgery. Best to listen to your surgeon and PT. Ideas and procedures change constantly.
I always have a copay for PT. last year for a knee issue it was $40 a visit. a bargain. I gave the old bike to my SIL after her knee replacement. I don't think she used it much. Her first replacement is only marginally working, and now her other knee has gone downhill.

Wish you the best! anyone who has worked out with Cathe for this long .... knows how to work smart.

Lynda, best wishes with your knee replacement surgery and recovery. I have known women that have had it and were out walking and riding on an exercise bike very soon after surgery. I am sure you will follow what your physical therapist has you do. You will be back into your workouts soon.

Lynda, I hope all went well with your knee replacement. Take care and let us know how you are doing.
Carolyn

Thank you for all the good wishes. I came home yesterday after surgery on Tuesday. Pain was a real issue for me because of my plummeting blood pressure the first two nights. No pain meds without a decent blood pressure, above 100. But I have already done a lot of pt sessions including stairs and walking with a walker and the pain is under control. I start outpatient pt next week, but I already can see that I am not knock kneed anymore. My outside thigh muscle must lengthen to accommodate my new straight leg and feels achy when I fire my quads. Glad I finally took the plunge.

Lynda thanks for the update. I knew they do not let you stay "down" for long. amazing you can already see and feel a difference in such a short time. be careful of your doggie and don't let Max knock you over. wish you the best... a speedy recovery and a well functioning knee.

Last edited:
One week out of the hospital and my second pt--1 hour of quite painful manual manipulation and tons of exercises including 45 assisted squats and ten minutes on a bike that amazed my therapist because at first it was like climbing a steep hill and then I just started pedaling like it was fun. He upped it from 5 minutes to 10. I am off the walker and on a cane. I suspect my therapist is making things harder next week, but I am really happy about my progress. Sutures out next week. Dh says my leg is so much straighter and my knee looks much smaller.

Thanks Lori! I should probably thank Cathe because I have done only her workouts since ICE and streaming--2 years straight and 6 days a week or whenever that series came out--lots of streaming, so many choices.

Lynda great that you are doing so well! Do you have second hand exercise equipment stores or craigs list or other classified ads... would you think about getting an exercise bike? I used the exercise bike daily for months after my ACL repair.
we looked at selling a home gym we seldom use. amazing at how cheap used machines are! our $2200 home gym, a few years old but in excellent condition, would get us $100 :( from a second hand sports place. and they would sell it for $300 is they can get that. Just a thought... home exercise is so much easier than driving somewhere especially if you are looking ( eventually) at doing the other knee. just a thought. I was shocked at how little used gear is worth.

I am now walking without a cane very slowly and carefully but it feels like a big achievement. PT is very rigorous and parts of it can only be described as so painful it brings tears to your eyes. Every session begins with manual pressure to straighten the leg in 10 second intervals. I am getting there, but wow, those first 15 minutes are mind bending. The next 45 minutes are busy and sweaty but not unbearable (the bike comes last and is easy). Then 15 minutes of ice, but keep that foot flexed! I leave very sore. I had no idea. I have PT twice a week and in addition I am doing exercises at home and some light weights to maintain my upper body definition I am so proud of. I will probably dig out my Leslie Sansones pretty soon to pick up my walking. Next Tuesday it will be four weeks since the surgery. No pain medication other than Tylenol. I am too afraid of oxycodone and turned the stuff in to the police.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.