How come so many make over movies?

janiejoey

Cathlete
Doesn't the movie business have imagination anymore? Do you realize how many make over movies there are this year? I'm very disappointed in the movie making industry. There's got to be people out there that can still use their imagination and bring us more never watched or done before wonderful new movies to enjoy. Where are our artists?

Just my opinion. What do you all think about that?

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Janie, do you mean remakes of old movies/TV shows? Yes this has been an annoying trend for a long time now. There are still some good original movies, but I agree that there are too many remakes. Why should we keep rehashing old stuff, ya know?

Actually I was just thinking the same. They are coming out with a new hulk movie which is strange since the other one was only made like 2 years ago! Its like they went "Whoops, that one was just a practice.. just kidding about that... NOW this is the movie we meant to make." Ya know? Its actually kinda funny!

>Actually I was just thinking the same. They are coming out
>with a new hulk movie which is strange since the other one was
>only made like 2 years ago! Its like they went "Whoops, that
>one was just a practice.. just kidding about that... NOW this
>is the movie we meant to make." Ya know? Its actually kinda
>funny!

I thought the same thing! I saw the ad for it on tv the other night and I was like "what's going on? Is this a joke?" I feel like I just saw that movie in the theater! It doesn't bother me or seem odd that Hollywood remakes movies but to remake a remake two years later? Weird.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

>It doesn't bother
>me or seem odd that Hollywood remakes movies but to remake a
>remake two years later? Weird.

I agree that it seems way too soon. I just assumed that it was a sequel but if it's a remake that's really odd.

I actually thought it was too soon (and unnecessary) for a Hairspray remake (the original John Waters movie came out in 1988).

There's definitely a whole lot of cheese out there. Off the top of my head, I really enjoyed There Will Be Blood & No Country For Old Men. I think the movie industry is more pressured these days to cater to a 2-minute attention span. If it doesn't involve sex or shoot 'em up action by the time the opening credits are over, it won't get made.

Some of my all time favorites- The Deer Hunter, The Right Stuff, I can't imagine being made now.

That's why I love the independent theater in my area. You can buy vegan cookies, popcorn with real butter, cheesecake, lattes....and you can see good movies...foreign films, Cannes festival films...It's nice to know that while Hollywood caters to the dumbed down masses there are real gems out there. You just have to know where to find them I guess.

Some of the remakes are real headscratchers. I agree with Amy: why would anyone want to redo Hairspray? To make it more family-friendly? Doesn't that defeat the whole John Waters experience? Maybe Disney can redo Blue Velvet in a couple of years.

Hollywood LOVES to redo foreign films--La Cage Aux Folles (The Birdcage), The Vanishing, Le Retour de Martin Guerre (Sommersby), Swept Away(thanks for nothing Madonna & Guy).

Movies they should have just left alone: The Manchurian Candidate, Psycho (yeah, Hitchcock was such a lame director, let's do it over!!!),The Pink Panther, Little Shop Around the Corner (You've Got Mail), The Wizard of Oz (The Wiz).

Okay, I do think that the remake of Sabrina was better. Bogart was just really miscast in the original, IMHO.

>That's why I love the independent theater in my area. You
>can buy vegan cookies, popcorn with real butter, cheesecake,
>lattes....and you can see good movies...foreign films, Cannes
>festival films...It's nice to know that while Hollywood caters
>to the dumbed down masses there are real gems out there. You
>just have to know where to find them I guess.

Beavs, that is so cool!!! I would LOVE to have a theater like that near me!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

> Maybe Disney can redo Blue Velvet in a couple of
>years.
>

LOL!!! Will Dennis Hopper do the voice??

Well, they wholesome-ized the "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".

movies?? I gave up on them a looong time ago. whenever something decent comes out I'll get it on DVD. That is becoming very rare anymore. Same goes for TV. I don't miss cable at all.

Teresa is right. I remember watching Mostly Martha and disappointed to see the sappy craptastic tripe American remake "No Reservations" I used to think Americans were just too lazy to ready subtitles but now I think most can't bothered to comprehend the subtleties of foreign films. Of course, I consider Fast Times at Ridgemont High a classic so I'm not necessarily a qualified film critic.

And Ms. Ali, anytime you want to sashay to the Albany area I would be deeee-lighted to treat you to good flick and an almond honey latte!

>Psycho (yeah, Hitchcock was such a lame director,
>let's do it over

That was a completely useless redo, especially since they redid it shot by shot, so it was exactly like the original (in color and with lame acting).

A lot of remakes are because typical moviegoers won't watch black-and-white films (or at least that's what producers think).

I'm with you on the remake (or is it 'second version'?) of the Hulk (first movie 'The Hulk' with unknown Eric Banna, new movie 'The Incredible Hulk' with high-caliber actor and Oscar nominee, whose name I can't remember off hand).

What I don't get is when two very similar movies come out at the same time (like somebody stole an idea from somebody else). Last year (?) "The Prestige" (a movie about vying magicians) came out the same year as that lame movie about magicians with Jesicca Biel in (can you tell which one I thought was better? LOL!)

>I actually thought it was too soon (and unnecessary) for a
>Hairspray remake (the original John Waters movie came out in
>1988).

I agree. The original is fabulous. Why remake it, except to give John Travolta the opportunity to dress in drag?

Hi All,

Beavs theater sounds similar to where I go occasionally.
Just wanted to give a heads up to those in Southwest CT the Bethel Cinema in Bethel CT has those hard to find Independent Movies and those smaller budget movies that are really good but the main stream don't want to see. They also have a cute cafe attached.
I saw Mrs. Pettigrew has her day a few months ago and it was terrific. Just saw the Helen Hunt directorial debut (just so so), I want to see The Visitor (looks interesting). If any one has seen that give me a review. They had a fun documentary about these older people singing Moderns songs. I can't think of the title at the moment my brain freezed up. Sorry to go on, but I do love movies and the movie industry seems like a joke now a days.
Jen

Beavs,

I'm at least 3 hours away from it now, but I still miss it big time - especially the brownies!!!!

I just discovered a neat little independent theater where I live now, but it can't compete with the Spectrum (although it WAS a cozy place to watch The Kite Runner a few months ago!).

Oooh...the brownies....I don't know if you have been to the adjoining Ultra Violet cafe but their almond honey latte is simply da bomb!

>I agree. The original is fabulous. Why remake it, except to
>give John Travolta the opportunity to dress in drag?

The John Travolta one isn't bad. But it doesn't hold a candle to the original. Tracy Turnblad will always be Ricky Lake to me, and Edna will always be Divine. Period! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.