High Triglycerides

Jcrew3082

Cathlete
Well, I'm freaking out. I got a call from my doc's office saying my bloodwork showed high triglycerides. They recommend I eat a low fat diet and exercise more. Now, I'm really confused, because I am a vegetarian, nearly vegan, and already have a low fat diet. Most of the fat I consume is the good stuff, olive oil, etc., but I do eat junk now and then. As for exercise, ummm six days a week lol...and we know it doesn't get more intense than Cathe.

I haven't spoken to the doc personally, but I'm nervous. Could there be something wrong with me?

Edited to add...I just read that BCPs can raise triglycerides. I started the pill three months ago. I actually weighed more prior to taking it, exercised less and ate less healthy yet never had a prob with this. Could the pill be responsible?

Gina, it's important to let your internist know if your GYN put you on the pill. It's hard to direct care when more than one doc is involved and information hasn't been shared. Heredity can also play a role here so it's important to know your family history. Examine your diet very carefully, too. You may be eating more junk than you realize so a food journal might help. There can be multiple explanations for your results. Take care.

Michele

This is what I found out: If you have no other reason for your triglycerides to be high it may be a sign of diabetes.

Dh got his blood work back and he has high cholesterol (good is low and bad is high) AND his triglycerides was over 200!!!! He drinks a LOT of juice and lately has been on a pastry kick.

I also read that triglyceride levels can be lowered fairly quickly compared to cholesterol levels.

The advice to lower your fat intake seems off to me. Nuts actually help with triglyceride levels. High triglycerides are more related to high simple carbohydrate intake. I got my triglycerides down 100 points using fish oil supplements and reducing simple carbs.

Here's part of a great article on the subject, a little technical, but it explains the interaction of triglyceride with LDL and VLDL particles and how to improve your numbers. The rest of the article discusses LDL in detail as well as other major heart disease risk factors such as homocysteine, C Reactive Protein, and fibrinogen.
http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/M...glycerides&hiword=TRIGLYCERIDE triglycerides

Randi

Gina-

Talk with your internist in depth. Any of the above suggestions could be culprit and the link Randi posted is a good place to start for your info.

I am one of the skinny, good eaters who have exercised all her life but genetics blind-sighted me. Due to understanding the reason for MY high cholesterol and blood pressure and taking appropriate medications, I currently test at virtually no risk for heart disease or stroke (and that's how almost everyone in my family has died) and am way healthier than your "average Joe" who has no elevations or family history. My internist tests me every 6 months and checks any and all blood levels of whatever you can imagine.

Please make an appointment with your internist and be sure he/she knows all your meds, prescription, over the counter and any supplements, as well as specifics regarding your diet (even cheat eats). Everything can be relevant - the doc needs all the info to guide you further.

hi,
i will tell you the last time i had my triglycerides check it was 37 with a total cholestrol of 120. I am not sure is that is too low or what, but at that time i was eating a lot of fruits, vegetables and almost a vegan diet except for the fish which i love. (the amount of fish i eat was about 6oz a week. I was doing about 6 hours of exerices a week(taebo) and eating 90% of complex carb. simple carb(white flour) were a almost a no no.
i read somewhere that simple carb(white flour,candy and the likes) increase the triglcerides, I am not sure though if you eat some before they do the test it can make it to seem high. before i had my test done i didn't eat for about 13 hours. after the test i grab a muffin since i was not feeling too good for not eating for that long.
anyway my blood sugar for that day fasting was 73
enough about me.
can you retake the test again ?
hope you figure out what to do, can it be genetics?

My mother is a Type 2 Diabetic and was never one to consume pastries and juices. She always ate a diet laden with fruits and vegetables and this nifty little illness decided to attack anyway. The irony is that now, in her 70s, is that she can't eat half of the fruits and vegetables she loves thanks to recently being put on dialysis. Sometimes lifestyle is not the cause of diabetes or high cholesterol...unfortunately it appears be due to genetics.

>My mother is a Type 2 Diabetic and was never one to consume
>pastries and juices. She always ate a diet laden with fruits
>and vegetables and this nifty little illness decided to attack
>anyway. The irony is that now, in her 70s, is that she can't
>eat half of the fruits and vegetables she loves thanks to
>recently being put on dialysis. Sometimes lifestyle is not
>the cause of diabetes or high cholesterol...unfortunately it
>appears be due to genetics.

You're absolutely right about that. Lifestyle things like diet and exercise play a big part and I don't mean to minimize their importance, but they are just a couple of risk factors. Heredity plays a huge role and there isn't anything you can do about that one. (Also, while things like nuts and olives/olive oil are very good for you, they are still fats and need to be consumed with some restraint.. editing here because I'm really thinking more of someone with obesity issues). Look again at your intake of simple carbs.

Gina, someone made a good point about fasting before your lab work. How long had you fasted? I like to fast a good 10 to 12 hours before lab work to get the most accurate result. You can have water, but I would avoid even coffee, especially if your blood sugar is measured.

Michele

Hi, if you want a non prescription solution then I will highly recommend Flush Free Niacin. I take this and my triglycerides have dropped from over 700 to 170 or so in just a 3 months time. It does not have the flushing(think hot flash) effects that the prescription niacin does and alot of the other medication can cause other side effects like weight gain in my case. I get mine from Vitamin World but other places have similar products I take 6 a day which is equal to the highest recommended dose of 3 mg a day.

I have been on it for about 3 years now and while doing Atkins I did go off of them and my trig. remained low but as soon as I went off the diet they went up again, and I don't eat alot of the bad food. Basically in order for your diet to effect them you have to go NO CARB!! I can't do that so the flush free niacin is a godsend for me.

Hope that helps you some.

Hi there,
I'm a dietitian, so hopefully i can offer some insight.
High triglycerides are actually not often caused by fat, but by carbohydrate intakes, hence the link to diabetes. Diets high in refined sugars (pop, juice, low fibre etc), as well as alcohol are the biggest culprits!
What often happens with vegetarians (i'm one too!), is our diets are often majority carbs
Other meds can cause high TG's, i'm not sure what else you're taking.
Increase fibre, focus on high GI foods, and continue to exercise. There is a genetic component i havent mentioned yet. Does anyone in the family have either Diabetes or high triglycerides?
Cheers
Steph

Everyone, I just cannot thank you enough for your responses. You have made me feel so much better. Unfortunately, my doc isn't the best. She has never asked me about my lifestyle, so her recommendations are totally generic.

I didn't know I was going to be having bloodwork, so I did not fast. I feel somewhat releived because I think the results were skewed. However, my dad does have Type II Diabetes and has never been more than 10 pounds overweight, and his grandma had Type I. I suppose it is something I need to watch for.

Thank you, thank you, thank you again. I love the educated crowd!

Gina, I am stunned! Didn't they make you fill out a family history when first went to the doctor? That's pretty standard. Also, whenever I go for lab work the tech asks me on the spot if I fasted and for how long. If your doctor has been remiss and you are dissatisfied then I would switch to someone else. You need and deserve the best possible care.

Michele

You are totally right, Michele. I am usually adamant about searching for the best docs. My eye doc, gyn, and dentist are each about 45 minutes away but well worth the trip. I started going to this doc because she was in my mom's HMO plan. I feel like she isn't very thorough. I haven't been sick in many years, so I haven't given much attention to this. I realize that I should look for someone else who shows a little more concern.

Gina,
I totally agree with Michele. And I also think your results are pretty meaningless if you didn't fast. Forget about the test you took and take another one, preferably with a new doctor, after fasting.

-Nancy

Yeah Gina, some drugs can raise your triglycerides markedly. Plus you did not fast. I wouldn't be worried then. Get it done again, fasting and ask about the drugs you are taking.....

>hi,
>i will tell you the last time i had my triglycerides check it
>was 37 with a total cholestrol of 120. I am not sure is that
>is too low or what, but at that time i was eating a lot of
>fruits, vegetables and almost a vegan diet except for the fish
>which i love.

No, it's not too low. If you look at populations around the world, they often have cholesterol in this range, and according to the Framingham Heart Study, a cholesterol under 150 is highly protective against heart disease.

>I didn't know I was going to be having bloodwork, so I did not
>fast.

I think that's your answer right there!

Odd that the doc would do blood work in that situation.

When I go in for my yearly check-up, I have to come back another day to get the blood work done to make sure it's based on fasting rates.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.