HELP WITH EATING DISORDER

HI CATHE,

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU OR ANYONE OUT THERE CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. I HAVE BEEN IN THERAPY FOR A YEAR FOR AN EATING DISORDER. I RESTRICT AND PURGE. SOME DAYS ARE GOOD BUT THERE ARE STILL THE DAYS WHEN I TAKE A COUPLE OF STEPS BACKWARDS. I TRY TO EAT CLEAN BUT THEN WHEN I LET MYSELF GET HUNGRY I WILL EAT SOMETHING NOT GOOD LIKE JUNK AND THEN WANT TO PURGE OR I DO PURGE IT. WHEN I SEE WHAT PEOPLE WHO ARE SERIOUS ABOUT GOOD EATING EAT ON A DAILY BASIS IT SEEMS LIKE SO MUCH FOOD TO ME. OXYGEN MAGAZINE ALWAYS HAS MENUS FOR A WEEK OF HEALTHY EATING AND IT ALL LOOKS GOOD BUT IT ALSO LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH TO ME. IT IS 5-6 MEALS. I KNOW THE BODY NEEDS TO BE NOURISHED RIGHT FOR IT TO FUNCTION CORRECTLY. I KNOW MY WORKOUTS WOULD BE BETTER TOO. ANY SUGGESTIONS TO STAY ON A GOOD EATING PLAN OR ANY HINTS FROM ANYONE HOW TO STOP THE EATING DISORDER CYCLE? I AM ON LEXAPRO FOR THE ANXIETY WHICH WAS HELPING UNTIL I STARTED THE CYCLE AND I KNOW MY MEDICINE IS OFF NOW BECAUSE I PURGED IT TOO I AM SURE. THANKS FOR LISTENIN

Can your therapist refer you to a dietitian or a healthcare profressional who is experienced with eating disorders? They may be able to help you put together a nutrition/exercise plan, beyond what a magazine or the internet can provide.

Have you seen www.somethingfishy.org for additional resources?

I hope all goes well for you.

Roselyn, I also recommend a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. I started seeing one about a year and a half ago, and she has been right on track in terms of knowing how to deal with this. At the beginning she recommended NOT eating 5-6 meals because then it's almost like you are eating all the time and the focus in on food. My therapist has a nutritionist she works with who tailored a plan for me, with the eating disorder in mind.

Just because you purged doesn't mean your medicine isn't working ... it just means you have some more work to do. There is a timeline of therapy, and it is a graph that goes up and down, up and down, meaning that's how your eating will be while you are figuring this through. You'll have great days and then you'll have some that feel like you're back to square one, but that's just part of the process. Keep pushing through. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein.

This has been discussed a lot around here ... do a search for "eating disorders" and that may give you a little help. Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like! Hang in there - it's a tough road but one day you'll get through it and life won't feel like such a mess.

Just a thought
Along with your Therapist Look into Overeaters Anonymous
It is about handing your eating disorders over to your Higher Power as you understand Him/Her
You get wonderful support in a non threatening way and you are surrounded by people who understand that eating disorders are diseases

I read your post. I am on the pregnancy forums these days.
I saw your email and it caught my eye. All the emails are full of
great advice. I hope you know people are here for you. It is not
uncommon as you know what you are going through. You know it is
a problem and you are addressing which is positive. I have had
my own issues with restriting in the past. I am now pregnant and
do not restrict any longer although once I have the baby have to be
very mindful not to slip into eating too few calories. Society I know
does not help. My issues are more do to with what I can control which
is the food going into my mouth. I hope you find all the help and
support you need to overcome. I know you can beat this because you
want to.

Please take care,
Suzanne

Hi Roselyn, I too have an eating disorder,I have for several years.
Maybe we can help each other.
Starving will do you no good in the long run.
I have done alot of damage to my body etc.
Think of it as Feeding your brain.
And improving your eating & nutrition. etc.

Roselyn,
I too have the restricting the the binging and purging or just purging everything i eat problem. i have seen a therapict for the last 6 months and have also seen a nutritionist to help me learn how to eat healthy. I just want to tell you to hang in there. there are going to up ups and downs on the road to recovery. Good luck! we can also help each other get better. just stay positive
-Lauren

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.