Eating clean and bread...

mizlaur123

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
This is my first day of trying to eat clean. 'm just gonna run what i had for breakfast by you to see if i'm getting the hang of it. For breakfast I has oat bran, a small apple with 2 tbsp. peanut butter, and egg whites. Is that good?
My other question is about bread. All the book really mentions in this category is the Ezekiel Bread. I have no idea where to get this and it is a little high in calories then bread i'm used to eating. two pieces of the pepperidge farm light multigrain bread is 90 calories where one piece of this ezekiel stuff is like 80 calories. I also saw online that since its only really available in health store its kinda pricey. Is there any other bread i can have and still be eating clean? I like Thomas' Light muli-grain Engligh Muffins. Are they ok? Thanks

Lauren

and the peanut butter i had for breakfast was all natural and very good, surprisingly. I was that naturally more kind. I recommend!

>I have no idea where to
>get this and it is a little high in calories then bread i'm
>used to eating. two pieces of the pepperidge farm light
>multigrain bread is 90 calories where one piece of this
>ezekiel stuff is like 80 calories.

The calorie difference is by far made up for by the nutritional supperiority, IMO. Food for Life Ezekial bread is 100% real, healthy ingredients and whole grains and legumes. And you will probably find that a 1-slice, open-face sandwich is as filling as a regular sandwich with the other bread (which also brings the price down).

For true healthy, clean eating, I wouldn't recommend any other type of bread either.

> All the book really mentions
>in this category is the Ezekiel Bread. I have no idea where to
>get this ...

Even my local grocery store carries it (Food for Life brand), so it's not hard to find.

I don't eat much bread, so I can't help you there. But if you want to eat clean, steer clear of all Thomas brand products. They are full of high fructose corn syrup and other highly processed stuff.

Actually, they removed the HFCS from their products!! Not as *clean* as others but I love their Light Multi grain English muffins w/ 8g fiber! ;-)

I have found a great bread substitute. I have used the "Fat Flush" tortillas, they are made from sprouted something or other, lots of fiber and tasty too!
A good breakfast is scrambled egg whites, salsa and some arugula all wrapped up in a fat flush tortilla...yum.:9

Speaking of tortillas, La Tortilla factory makes a great low carb multi grain - 80 cals for a 10" (I think), a few gms fat and low carbs with about 8 or so gms of protein.

They make great wraps or I use for "burrito" style dinners.

I think the main thing about breads is checking the labels as others have mentioned. Look at the fiber content and especially the ingredient list.

> I have used the "Fat
>Flush" tortillas, they are made from sprouted something or
>other, lots of fiber and tasty too!

They sound good, ingredient-wise, but what a name!
What brand are they?

I like the La Tortilla factory small low-carb ones (garlic & herb are really good!) for 50 cals and 8g fiber. For a larger one, I buy the Santa Fe Whole grain tortillas at Sam's (20 pack for around $4.50). My dh likes these too.

I hardly ever eat bread anymore, I pretty much gave it up about 4 yrs ago w/ South Beach and just typically stick to the wraps for my sandwiches or breakfast burritos!

>Actually, they removed the HFCS from their products!! Not as
>*clean* as others but I love their Light Multi grain English
>muffins w/ 8g fiber! ;-)

Jess, they haven't removed the HFCS from their bagels, unless it was in the last two weeks. I have a package in the fridge right now that lists it as the 4th ingredient. :-(

I get those Fat Flush tortillas at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section...they have this picture of a lady's torso, she is wearing workout shorts.

:) I know for you "whole foods, sprouted folks" these are right up your alley!;) Oh, and the liquid eggs whites...I use 1/2 cup, spray a little PAM on the bottom of the pan, cook and heat the tortilla, add the eggs, salsa and fresh arugula-which adds a nutty, spicy kick...I love that stuff. Enjoy! I suppose you could add cheese if you like, but I try and stay away from dairy--well except on cheat days when I curl up with my Edy's Slow Churned.:9

Bread for eating clean is wholegrain, wholewheat. The word "whole" must proceed the grain listing on the ingredients list, make sure of this. This bread is good for you, will help fuel your Cathe workouts and it is wrong for people to cut bread out of their diets. Bread is clean eating and good for you. people have been eating it a an essential part of their diet for centuries. The point is not to demonize food but to eat in balance. Forget Ezequiel bread, whatever TH that is. Enjoy your regular, cheaper bread!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.