Dr Phil and Weight Loss

icklemoley

Cathlete
This morning i watched Dr Phil's program, we show it here in England on Sky One, anyway, he was talking to a bunch of women about weight loss and they were all saying, im fat cause of this and this and this and he was telling them what to eat and do to stay fit and healthy and lean...and all this time i was thinking...have you looked at yourself Dr Phil. You ain't the lean example your telling these women to be! I found it completely hippocritical of him! I don't want to start a melt down here, but i do think that for someone in his position he should perhaps use some of his own "tough love" on himself before monking and belittling women on their weight and food choices.

Hi there,

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Dr. Phil used to be extremely overweight, and that even though he doesn't look like he is in super duper shape, he is compared to what he used to be like. I used to think the same thing you did until someone told me he used to be morbidly obese...you'r right though, he doesn't look they way you would expect someone to look who was spouting that kind of advice!

Jill

He isn't the one going on tv looking for advice. These women are unhappy and want to lose weight, so they came to his show for help. Dr. Phil doesn't seem to be unhappy with his weight.

Phil's a tall guy and a middle aged one at that. I think he looks fine. I truly believe Phil has the best interest of his viewers in mind. It's different for woman, anyway. We are under such pressure to conform to a certain look. Phil looks healthy to me and I think he tries to help woman who are unhappy with their weight realize that it there is so much more to it than weight. Sometimes, woman stay fat in spite of being unhappy about it for a number of reasons. He seems very much in tune with himself and US. Just my two cents....:)
Chicks's Rule! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Bobbi

Lets get real here, if you want weight loss advice would you go to Oprah? No, you'd go to someone who looks lean, healthy and fit. Walk the walk, talk the talk. Hense why i wouldn't follow The Zone or Dr Atkins, have you ever seen Dr B Sears or Dr Atkins, yuck. You can be fat and fit, you can be fat and happy and fat and strong, but you can't be fat and healhty, because too much body fat isn't healhty and thats the truth ladies. Tough love, AKA from Dr Phil.

I cant' believe you & I watched the same show! Dr. Phil is certainly not fat - he's 6'4", for gosh sake, and not fat! He did not belittle those women, he just wants to cut through the crap. They were making excuses for being fat, and he wanted them to take responsibility, as we all must do, right Donna, Miz Gettinfit@39?

I disagree completely. It's short-sighted and uninformed to imagine that a person cannot relay precise information because they don't meet a certain preconceived physical ideal. Didn't you ever hear the saying "them who can't, do"? That means people can give information without being perfect. Atkins may not be buff, but he certainly is more knowledgable about cholesterol, glucose levels and the like, than some gym moron who lifts a higher number than his IQ. No one with half a brain would go to someone for advice based on their physical appearace. Having said that, I think Phil looks fine, he plays tennis like a fiend, and is in pretty good shape. Once Cathe is old, and unable to step for an hour at a time (God Forbid) she will still have all that knowledge in her head. Muscles and gray matter are not directly proportional.

As an instructor, I TRY to walk the walk that I talk to my students, but I am by NO means perfect. I USED to get caught up in the mentality that I HAD to have a perfect body being up there in front of everyone. I actually used to fret over it but since finding Cathe's forum, I have grown to realize I am doing the best I can do. I am happy with how I feel health-wise now. Some may look at me and say, "Hey, she could lose 5-10 pounds", but we all fight our battles with certain things. (mine happens to be my thighs and ABS!) Cathe's tapes have kicked my fitness level up to a whole new dimension and just knowing I can do her tapes shows me I am fit WITHIN. I am not trying to start anything here but I don't think Dr. Phil looks bad at all. Like me, he could stand to lose a few inches here & there but he is supposed to give out advice on his show. That is WHY they come to him. JMO!:7
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Didn't you ever hear the saying "them who can't, do"? That means
>people can give information without being perfect.

Actually, I think you're refering to the saying "those that can't do, teach." Which, as a teacher, I'm not fond of, because it means that we deal soley in theory and can't do the practical stuff.

I didn't see that show, but I've certainly watched Dr. Phil on Oprah, so I can't comment directly on that particular episode but... it seems in general there definately is a double standard that men can be overweight and out-of-shape but they will be hyper-critical of woman who are in the same condition. I don't think Dr. Phil is overweight, it's just a general comment.

It's important to be happy with yourself no matter what shape you're in. If you're not happy do something about it, but don't rely on some talk show or magazine to tell you how you should look.

I train and eat right because I like to it's that simple. I won't judge anyone who is overweight or who doesn't want to workout -- that's their choice. Just my 2 cents:D

Thanks Kathryn, that's the quote I was referring to. I was typing too fast. You are right about what I meant, but I was not implying that teachers would have a lack of practical knowledge. I meant looks and how truly fit you are don't always go hand in hand. We all remember that episode with the poster who wanted to see fewer "mom looking women" in Cathe's videos.

FYI...I believe this same show is re-running this Monday here in the states. Well it may not be the same show but here's the discription of the one that is....

"My Big Fat Attitude"

It's a modern-day battle of the bulge when two overweight women attempt to set Dr. Phil straight about weight. They don't stop there: The two women then go face to face with a 95-pound woman who says she's disgusted by fat people.

I've seen this one. It's pretty good. I think Dr Phil says some really good things here (but I usually like what he has to say anyway). I also believe he mentions at some point that he could be in better shape. He looks fine to me.

>it seems in general there definately is a double standard that men can be overweight and out-of-shape but they will be hyper-critical of woman who are in the same condition.>

WOMEN are the ones who are hyper-critical of each other and themselves. Women are our own worst enemies.

Take Jennifer Lopez for example: Men LOVE JLo, large behind and all. DH loves my big hiney and doesn't want me to lose any more weight.

>>It's important to be happy with yourself no matter what shape
>you're in. If you're not happy do something about it, but
>don't rely on some talk show or magazine to tell you how you
>should look.
>

I certainly agree with this, but the point is, these women who came to Dr. Phil for advice were NOT happy, hence their appearance on the show.

The problem with the women on the show is that they make excuses. Most of my female friends do the same thing. Out of all the women I know, not even a handfull exercise.

Yet, they complain about getting fatter, yada yada.

When I tell them how I stay in shape all I get is "But, I have no time!!!" Funny how these same women talk about all the TV shows.

Hi everyone,

I think the most important thing to remember, as some of you have already mentioned, is that these women went TO Dr. Phil in order to get help. He did not just pick them out of a crowd and start "belittling" them because they were fat. I'm quite certain that they came onto the show knowing that they were overweight, and that Dr. Phil wasn't going to pretend that they weren't. They asked for help, and Dr. Phil tried to give it to them. He may not be perfect, or perfectly slender, but ANYBODY is capable of having the knowledge necessary to be fit and healthy and happy, even if they aren't prime examples of it themselves. Friends and family come to me for help when they want to know about food or medicine or exercise, not because I eat perfectly, look perfect, or act perfect, but because I often read and learn the information and am truly interested with the subjects. Anyway, just wanted to add my two-cents :) Most of you already beat me to it.

Sara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.