Anti-inflamatory nutrition

fox2star

Cathlete
Hi,

Anyone have a good source for an eating plan that focuses on eating to help with inflammatory symptoms? I know cutting out refined sugar etc, but would like to know if there are certain foods to avoid etc.

Thanks for any info..:)

Some have had good experience with the Whole 30 approach (It Starts With Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig);

the The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease, Heal Your Body by Sarah Ballantyne;

and the Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, A.D.D., Dyslexia, A.D.H.D., Depression, Schizophrenia, 2nd Edition Revised & enlarged Edition, Kindle Edition by Natasha Campbell-McBride M.D.

One of my sisters has several auto-immune disorders and is currently reading the The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness by Mickey Trescott and Angie Alt

I think this one is interesting: The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles by Terry Wahls M.D. and Eve Adamson

There are several other books, websites .... it appears no-one has the exact answers, but experimenting with various approaches seems to be helpful. I've found a modified Paleo approach works pretty well for me - I haven't eliminated dairy so it's more Primal than Paleo. But eliminating grains helped various symptoms I had tremendously. HTH, Deb

Thank you so much for all the information. I looked in my library and they currently have the "It Starts With Food...." book on the shelf. I think I will stop by and pick it up today and take a look at it.

@fox2star , I cannot give a personal testimonial on Whole 30, haven't done it, but that would have been my suggestion as a place to start. It is essentially an elimination diet, so it's a great way to test out if there are certain foods that are causing your body an inflammatory response. Then after the 30 days, assuming you feel a difference, you can systematically add in foods, one at a time, to really hone in on the culprit(s).

The best way to reduce inflammation is to follow an anti-inflammatory diet. This involves some foods and avoids others that cause chronic inflammatory diseases. In the anti-inflammatory diet, sugary, refined food replaced by the whole and nutrient-rich foods. Also, it contains increased antioxidants which help to reduce free radicals. Many diets follow anti-inflammatory principles such as the Mediterranean diet contains whole grains, fish, and fats that are good for health.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.