A "skinny" rant....

Renee McFar

Cathlete
Does any else get called "skinny" on a daily basis? It is starting to make me insane!! At 5'7" and 118-120lbs, I am not skinny!!!

Yet almost every day, except days I do not leave home, someone will call me "skinny" or some name like "string bean". It's really starting to pi** me off! Some people have a lot of nerve. Would I say "Oh,your so plump!" Heck no I would not!

I think one more comment will push me over the edge! }( I will take my nice Cathe leg and give them a round house kick right up side the head. Just because I can kick that high!!

Ok. Rants done. Feel better! Thank you! :) Renee

RE: A

I don't get accused of being "skinny" on a regular basis like you, but maybe that's because my co-workers and friends know that I don't get into body-typing. But I do remember one time a few years ago, my one male co-worker erupted with, "Oh . . . don't be such a . . . a . . . SKINNY!" when I politely declined a piece of cheesecake. I'm still trying to figure out if I should've been insulted.

And yes, isn't it amazing that you can't reply "Fatty"?

Rant away, Renee. We hear ya here.

A-Jock

Many times I have been asked if I am pregnant when I am not.

I would love to feel your pain.

But, keep up the good work - you must be doing something right to inspire such envy!

Susan L.G.

I don't think they actually mean you look like skin and bones. I think "skinny" is just a short-hand way for people to say that you look slim and they think it's a compliment. They probably use the perjorative in order to express a level of envy, and it may come out sounding hostile, but they basically think they are saying something complimentary.

I guess I'm stating the obvious, but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated. ;)

Yes A-jock! Another good point! Gosh forbid I decline when they want to order pizza for lunch or have some one make a fast food run! I really catch torment then! There is one girl who eats like mad at work and then makes comments about my weight. If I ate like her, I would weigh twice what I do now. Hope I don't offend any one. Just feeling a little cranky today because some one had the nerve to call me "Scottie's skinny wife" the other day instead of using my name! Whew!
:) Renee

Hi Renee,

I hope you are feeling better. It sounds like they are a little jealous and I bet you look great.

I always have people telling me I am soo little (which I am not)I am average. I even have people say, what size are those pants? or how big around is your waist? I would never ask someone that...

Have a great day!

Beverly

I hear you! Whenever I turn down cheese cake, pizza or other sweets that people bring into the office - my colleagues make skinny comments - bulemia jokes. they think that I'm doing something unhealthy to stay fit. But I'm not - I workout, eat lots (but good stuff), it bugs me a lot too! Maybe envy is the word?

Look - body-size comments are intrusive no matter how they're uttered and no matter what the size of the recipient of the comment. And there is indeed a double standard at play in American culture now: it's just fine to call someone "skinny", even hurl that word at the "Skinny" as if it were an epithet, and then hide behind the "well, it's a COMPLIMENT!" facade denying the hostility and envy with which it was uttered. But the obverse is certainly no true: in some venues you could probably be sued if you called someone "Fatty" - especially in the workplace.

Those who feel that the targets of "Skinny" comments are whining when they make mention of it, and their own offended reactions, need to look at themselves and ask why it's okay to consider one set of comments a compliment and another set of comments an insult.

A-Jock

If someone asks "how big is your waist?" or "what size are your pants?" and you feel like being a little smart-alecky in reply, you can say:

In response to "how big is your waist?"...

"Gee, I don't know. How big is your mouth?"
"How big does it look?"
"As big as my pants will fit."
"Which one?" (this should make them get a funny look on their face)
"Big enough."

In response to "what size are your pants?"

"Size perfect."
"Does it matter?"
"What size will get me a raise?"
"I don't know. What size are yours?"
...and the classic,
"None of your business." (say it with a polite smile. This works for the other question, as well, and I think it gets the point across quite clearly that the question was in poor taste).

RE: Arrgghhhhh!!!

Renee,

I know EXACTLY what you mean! This is NOT a compliment (although I think that some people honestly think that it IS) and I hear it too often too! My favorite is "skinny b&%ch!" Or how about "oh, for god's sake, eat it! You work out ten hours a day!" I think the most insulting thing is when people that don't know me very well say something like "you wouldn't know these problems b/c you are so skinny" or "god blessed you with that body so you don't understand."

Hello....I lost 80 pounds and I swear that I was born with out a metabolism (which Cathe helps me create daily!). God blessed me with an overactive appetite and too much food in my hand. :)

Skinny...just ain't a compliment. It gets on my nerves too ;)

Christine

When people at work comment that I don't participate in their gorging on all the stuff that is bad for them, I just ignore it. I don't feel it's my responsibility to change society or change the way they view what I do. I guess I prefer the "Sticks and Stones" approach. I just look at them in wonderment, most of them overweight, out of shape and complaining about their ill health. How do they not know or care what they are doing to themselves? I don't choose to make it my problem.

I can only control my life and how I take care of myself.

To me this falls under the heading of "Don't sweat the small stuff". IMHO, there is so much more to CHOOSE to get upset about than being called skinny.

I guess if it really bothered some of us we could just go ahead and get fat and fit into the mainstream, because that's the problem some of us are having....not choosing to fit into the mainstream but then wanting society to treat us like we are mainstream.

Reality check
:7

I need to chime back in here. I guess why it bothers me is some think that I naturally look like this without any hard work and the rest of them have to say "eat it!" you run 10 miles a day anyway.

Most the time I can blow it off or come back with a polite comment, but that time of month. Watch out!!! My patience is low!! :eek:

Have a great day ladies...

Beverly

I no longer have this problem, but when I was smaller and people made comments about me being skinny, it didn't bother me at all. I would just actually agree with them and smile. And I was more than proud to tell what size I wore or what size my waist was. On the other hand, I was one of the lucky people who could eat anything they wanted and stay slim, so maybe that is why it didn't bother me. I exercised for fun when I was younger and not for weight loss. Now the opposite is true. I have to watch almost everything I eat and I now exercise for my health and to keep my weight down. I doubt that I'll ever hear a skinny comment ever again.

My sister-in-law is 5'11 and I'm guessing 115 lbs. If we do not mention to her how "skinny" she is at a holiday gathering she will get pissed off because we didn't compliment her on her bod. And mind you, she will tell you at the end of the evening that she doesn't starve herself and work out 3 hours per day to NOT GET COMPLIMENTS. So you see, you can't make people happy. She LOVES being called skinny and lives for it. So I make sure every holiday to mention it to her and her face lights up which is fine for me because I love to see people happy. However, the fact remains that you simply can't please people. When I was skinny years ago, I damn sure loved being called skinny. To me, in our society, it means "you look good". I will be sure to NEVER tell anyone again that they look skinny or good either one since I will be afraid from now on that they will be pissed off. (except of course for me sister-in-law).

I completely agree with Candi.

I'm not sure why so many people think it is okay to comment on someone else's body. I don't believe it is appropriate in most cases. My family does it. I have friends that do it. People at work have done it too. Unfortunately, at least in my experience, women are typically the worst offenders. I used to get terribly upset about it (even when it wasn't aimed at me) -- but then I just decided to let it go. Don't sweat it. Their comments say more about them and their insecurities than anything.

I take care of myself by eating healthy and exercising. I won't let someone else's comments keep me from doing that regardless of who they are (ie, family, friends). If they don't like it, too bad. For the friends, family, and coworkers of mine who don't understand why I need to workout everday, I just tell them -- "Hey, if I don't workout every day then I will be a raging bitch and you don't want that, do you?"

Do your own thing. If comments bother you -- speak up and let it be known that you don't think its appropriate. If they laugh it off, just realize that THEY are showing their own insecurities and pity them for it :)

Shonie

>And yes, isn't it amazing that you can't reply "Fatty"?
>

I don't believe in being PC just for the heck of it. If someone calls you "skinny," why can't you call them fatty? Like when the coworker said "don't be such a...skinny," you could fire back: "it's better than being a fatty." (A comment not directed towards him necessarily, but to what the opposite of a "skinny"would be.)

I see "skinny" as a negative term, though some people don't. "Skinny" to me means "too thin," and not just "thin," "lean," or "svelte." "Skinny" is Lara Flynn Boyle or Calista Flockhart thin. And I think that many times the average American (who is overweight) sees people who are at a healthy lean weight as "skinny" rather than seeing themselves as "fat."

>I always have people telling me I am soo little (which I am
>not)I am average.

See my other post: you are probably what average should be, or used to be, but now "average" is overweight.

I think it's a matter of semantics. IMO, "skinny" has a negative connotation, whereas "thin," "slim," "svelte," etc are more positive terms. I can't think of any postitive words that mean "fat." Maybe "voluptuous" when it's used euphemistically or "full-figured" or, as a stretch, "pleasingly plump."

I get "skinny" comments all the time, and, although they don't consume me and I don't cry into my pillow at night about them, they do bother me a bit. Depending on the context, when someone calls me "skinny," I try to explain that the comment makes me self-conscious and that they wouldn't dare call someone "fatty." They're usually surprised and tell me they see my point.

I also don't like when people refer to certain body types (like Cedie's, for example) as "normal." I see those comments here all the time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.