Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/18

Good evening ladies,

This morning was SB Upper and Lower Compound Target. This is a 17 minute workout and wow my legs were shaking at the end. I then did a Lekfit bounce...no weights. Total time was 46m / 380 cal.

We are going to love our extra countertop space. I went to Lowes at lunch and bought some nice decorative butcher block table legs and will install this weekend. Will take pictures once it is complete. We are undecided whether we should paint the legs or not. We are thinking we may leave the natural look. So many decisions!

Diane Sue...I am the same way. The only time I am completely dressed down is when I workout. Lol! I wish I had the room for an island. That would be amazing. Today I added a power strip that has 3 plug ins and 2 usb plug in. Great workout today!

Deb...good that you were happy with the outcome of the runs. Right now the legs fold up. I installed them with simple hinges. But today after buying the butcher block legs they will screw in and will need to unscrew to fold the table top down. More work but we are ok with this as we love the legs. They are really thick and the table will not fold down flat with these underneath. Yup the storm is coming. Right now they are saying about 10inches. Ok with this compared to what we have had.

Valerie...My inlaws have an island that has a cooktop that pretty much takes up the entire space. It is nice but makes no sense to me. That has happened to me...decay in a old filling requiring a root canal. So sorry you have to go thru this.

Carolyn...That sounded like a fabulous yoga workout!

Judy...yes a fold down counter top may be perfect for you. It was a tough project due to the weight of the butcher block. But they come in all sizes and you can use whatever countertop you like. I promise to send pictures this weekend so you can get an idea.

Have a great night all!

skipped a workout, got some grocery shopping done. my mouth is not sore, but I will report back after Thursday I guess. this was a total blindside.
diane sue, I wear a night guard and a retainer sleeping. it took a lot of adjusting to get the night guard right because they have to fit just right and if you get any dental work done, that might throw the fit off. the roof of my mouth is very low and they have to carve out a big part of the mouth guard to get it to fit at all. I'm not sure now I could sleep without it!
my crowns are all old. this filling was "new" at least 15 years old and was the only questionable one I had. I've never had a root canal before but apparently it is partly done already but they didn't have time to finish it today. My first night guard had to be cleaned with a brush, but this one I can use denture cleanser on. I have a small retainer on my lower teeth from my braces experience, also about 15 years ago.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did S&S Ramped Up Upper Body, 47 minutes, 185 calories.

Judy, that was so nice that you could take a walk on Saturday. It was nice and sunny here too last weekend.

Valerie, that's awful about your tooth. Lucky that you did not have pain etc before. I hope all goes well when it is finished.

Diane Sue, thanks for the link on the coconut butter. I think I would look for it in a store before making it. That is too bad that you had to give up that large kitchen, especially since you like to cook so much.

Lori, that countertop will be so nice! Smart idea to add those USB ports too! Can't wait to see the pics.

Hi to Carolyn,

Dropping Keegan off for grooming on my way to class with Kylee....

Take care,

Reactions: WD
My grandson 7 is here this morning so I got my workout in early. I did Ripped with Hiit Plyo Hiit 1 and 2 combined, 45 minutes, 348 calories, met 7, heart rate average 141, max 167, 3,700 steps. I modified on some moves, used 1 riser on the step and used my rebounder for some moves. I also did the bonus abs 2, 13 minutes, 55 calories, met 3.8, 136 steps. Total time was 58 minutes, calories burned 406.

Lori, your counter sounds so nice and I love butcher block. It is so pretty.

Deb, it is easier just to purchase the coconut butter. It is getting easier to find. I noticed even Walmart is carrying more stuff like that. They have a ghee coconut butter blend in their store now. I have not seen coconut butter there yet though. Some day we will get this kitchen done. It will never be that big though. It is very small and the addition will run out into the dining area which in turn goes into the living room. It is all open.

Valerie, I have such a hard time with the mouth guard because of my allergies. I end up coughing and feeling like it is going to choke me or I am going to aspirate it. She mentioned something to help straighten my bottom teeth, but I got out of there before she mentioned it to the dentist when he came in after the cleaning. I am not sure I want the expense. Maybe later. I don't know how many times I have broken crowns. I have learned to not eat chewy candy, hard pretzels and hard candies. I rarely eat those things anymore though.

Good Morning,
Today I did Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp for 46 minutes and 255 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate 145.

We have installers here replacing our furnace. This is not something we were planning to do but we discovered a problem when they came to do the spring maintenance check. There is a crack in the heat exchanger and some wires were starting to melt which could possibly cause a fire. It was something that required immediate attention. Fortunately it has been fairly mild the last few days and we have not needed heat.

Deb, good job with Ramped Up Upper Body. I have that scheduled for later this week. I don’t use enough coconut butter to bother making it myself. It is fairly easy to find these days.

Diane Sue, great job with Plyo HiiT. I make similar modifications when I do it to lower the impact. Coconut butter is much easier to find these days.

Valerie, sorry about your dental problem. I had my first ever root canal two years ago. Not fun, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected.

Lori, the yoga cross training was a good total body workout. It was a nice change. Your kitchen project sounds wonderful. I bought a very nice cutting board in January and did some reading on care and maintenance for it and other butcher block items. I applied several coats of a butcher block conditioner and finished up with a butcher block cream before I used it.

Hello to Judy.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did an indoor ride and today I did the Pyramid Combo premix with a segment from Ab Circuits. I felt like doing total body again today, so I decided to do the premix rather than the upper or lower Pyramid workouts.

Deb-Great job with Ramped Up Upper Body! That is a really good one!

Valerie-I'm so sorry about your tooth. I had a root canal when I was younger and Chris had one about 5 years ago. I hope everything goes well and that you recover quickly.

Carolyn-It's good that you are getting your furnace replaced. Great job with S & S Bootcamp!

Lori-I hope the storm isn't too bad. I can't wait to see photos of your project! It would be very nice to have some extra counter space here.

Diane Sue-My dentist tried to get me to buy a mouth guard last year but I think I would have the same issue that you have, due to my allergies. I can't imagine it would work out well for me.

Judy

My grandson wasn't here real long today so I have been doing housecleaning catch up. Getting ready to give Gertie a bath. They brought him here instead of taking him to the dentist while his sister got all of her wisdom teeth taken out. She is doing this during spring break to avoid missing school. I hope it went well for her, I haven't heard anything negative. My first two was a nightmare when I had it done. I swelled up huge, the second two were easy, but a different dental office then. My anticipation at the time was not good. I was dragging my feet.

Carolyn, speaking of coconut butter, I made a mayonnaise recipe that called for coconut oil and olive oil. I made this to use for my Whole 30 ranch dressing. After I refrigerated the dressing it was thick like chilled butter :( I wonder if they intended it to be that clear coconut oil or something. Although it said melted, so maybe not. I set the dressing out to soften this morning and tried stirring some extra red wine vinegar and coconut almond milk into it to see if it would thin it a bit more. I had a hard time mixing it into my salad yesterday and I did not care for the coconut taste in the dressing. I will go back to the avocado, walnut, and olive oil mayonnaise recipes. I did make some recently with the chosen foods blend oil of avocado, safflower (high oleic) , coconut oil and it turned out nice without a strong taste. I had accidentally bought the blend oil when I thought that I picked up just avocado oil and decided to use it since I found it works decent for baked goods. I had to go look up reasons why using safflower oil was not good though. From what I read high oleic is better as far as the monounsaturated fats are concerned. It says on the bottle that it may solidify in low temps but I had no problem with it in a dressing. When I do not have much time and want dressing I use the Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayonnaise to make my whole 30 dressing. I found Plyo Hiit did not seem so bad this time. It is probably the modifications, some jumps on the rebounder and I used the edge of the rebounder to grab on to for the burpees. It got a decent calorie burn for a a quick cardio and ab workout this morning. I am kind of enjoying going through Ripped With Hiit again.

Judy, you always amaze me with your rides and how long you can stick with them. I have been eyeing the spin bike lately. I may do a ride soon. I really have to be in the mood for a piece of equipment like that. I am doing total body workout combos this week. Each with a different emphasis. At least that is the plan at the moment. I think I will do another day of RWH weights upper and lower and possibly Kelly's Build and Burn upper and lower or one of her lighter workouts. I set a tentative plan up again this week. I like switching from focused body parts to total body once in awhile. That mouth guard just sits in it's case on the nightstand most of the time. They said things were better and mentioned I must be making progress with the mouth guard. I told them I don't wear it much. I really have just tried to be conscientious about not tensing my jaw and tapping and grinding my teeth. I find I do that mostly when I am feeling some anxiety or stress. I am catching it a lot of the time. I just needed it brought to my attention. My daughter has the same thing and doesn't wear hers either. She told me she read about getting botox injections in the jaw or something to relax the muscle tension?? I don't think I am up for that one either.

Good evening ladies!

This morning was a SB advanced total body barre. I then did a bellicon bounce afterwards. Total time was 52 mins / 302 cal.

Valerie...I went thru the same thing...old fillings that needed replacing. Glad you have no pain.

Diane Sue...Great you received the zcut dvd. I immediately knew you would enjoy them. Way to much shoulder work for my liking!

Caroyln...tonight we seasoned with food grade mineral oil. It darkened the color a lot and we are happy with this. When it first came in it was lighter than what we anticipated but we still liked it. Once we applied the oil it completely changed the color. Hoping it stays as dark as it is right now. Our furnace is 23 years old. So far so good.

Judy... we are really hoping the storm does not impact us they are saying it could go either way. You never know in New England. Right now the drive home is going to be nasty if it does come this way. My son is planning to drive me in. :) Nice workouts. I was looking at the Pyramid workouts and they look great.

Deb...I wish I could take credit for the USB ports. I went to Home Depot to by a power strip and I wanted black. Pure luck it had USB ports! I did not notice until I was ready to attach. I was pleasantly surprised.

Have a great night all!

I guess it all depends on what kind of grinding they are talking about. I don't clench the TMJ area, but sleeping face down, my front teeth were getting wear and tear on the back side from my lower jaw sliding forward. I can't talk, eat, or drink much with guard in, but other than that it's not noticeable. I run it thru cleanser every day and put it bedside, in it goes. It feels totally "wrong" to sleep without it. if I had headaches from grinding or joint deterioration issues, I'd work on it.
I got very motivated after braces. no way did I want all my 3 + yrs of tooth realignment to be a wasted effort! they gave me two retainers to wear at night, and upper one got replaced by the night guard.

we did a ride today, 26 miles, our usual trail ride. a lovely sunny day, a little cool to start with but got warmer as we rode.

Lori, I previewed the strength workout #1 . She does most of her workouts in a similar format it seems. Several moves done and then repeated several times. I immediately thought the side to side 100 jumps would be good on the rebounder :) I remember watching a home improvement show where they used the mineral oil on the butcher block that they had made. I totally forgot about it. I am pretty sure that our furnaces are pretty old. The downstairs air and heat unit is probably newer than the one upstairs. I have paperwork that was left here from different tune ups and repairs.

Yes, Lori we used to use mineral oil on the butcher block. since we are using it like shelf/furniture now, we used something else. might have been linseed oil? wow, you don't deserve another snowstorm, but I guess that doesn't matter. apparently you didn't say the right things to the Weather Gods.

Tomorrow is the mammogram, then Thursday is the rest of the root canal. not my most upbeat week! Ugh.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Low Impact Cardio HIIT. 35 minutes, 206 calories. Did everyone see Cathe's post about doing an "ICE 2" series?

Diane Sue, good job on the Ripped Plyo workout. Nice that you can incorporate your rebounder in that one. John makes mouth guards for his patients when they ask for one. He also has one to help with snoring, ( which he never wears!). Getting all your wisdom teeth out at one time must have been scary for your granddaughter. As long as they weren't impacted, it isn't so bad. Botox kind of scares me...

Carolyn, that is too bad that you have to replace the furnace, but good that it was discovered before anything happened. Also that it is not too cold out for having to go without heat while the work is being done.

Lori, isn't it nice when the unexpected happens, like the color of your countertop coming out even better than it was at first?

Judy, that premix is addicting isn't it? I want to do it again too, but made myself go to the S&S workouts, which is what I had planned for this week.

Valerie, it sounds like this week cannot end fast enough for you! Good luck with the mammogram and rest of your dental work.

Take care,

Today I did Z Cut Power strength disc 1 workouts 1 and 2 with a 3 minute warm up bounce and the warm up and colldown, 46 minutes, 284 calories, met 5.6, heart rate 115 average, 145 max. I then did Kelly's Build and Burn Kickbox only mix, 16 minutes, 106 calories, met 6 using 1# dumbbells., heart rate average 125, max 154. Total time was 62 minutes, 390 calories.
Z cut 2 rnds
workout #1 10 manmakers 5# dbs, 8# dbs
4 point punches 5# dbs, 8# dbs
side to side hop 100 reps
50 squats 8# dbs, 10# dbs
workout # 2 4 rnds 12 minutes
forward back lunge switch 8# dbs 10 reps
Santana push ups 10 reps 8# dbs
competition burpee 10 reps

Today I did Strong and Sweaty PHA Training. That was 48 minutes and 228 calories burned. My average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 143.

The new furnace is installed and works very well. The difference between it and the old one is noticeable. We have separate hvac systems for upstairs and downstairs. Fortunately we only needed to replace the upstairs unit. We have had several problems with that one over the years. I think it was a lemon from the beginning.

Lori, I used a food grade mineral oil with vitamin E and beeswax on my cutting boards. In the past I would occasionally use mineral oil on my boards but I really didn’t take good care of them. Be safe in this current winter storm.

Deb, I saw Cathe’s post about a possible ICE 2. I would preorder that in a minute! Good job on the Live Low Impact HiiT.

Diane Sue, I’m not familiar with the Z Cut workouts.

Hello to Valerie and Judy. Enjoy your day everyone.

got thru the mamm process OK. I hate those more every year. then we did a mt bike at the tree farm. a liovely spring like tday that is supposed o change to rain tonight. whatever...it was lovely. we did about 7.75 miles in 2 hrs 11 min. it was a fun ride. I crashed once, got clothing caught on some sort of the bike and spilled as I came to a stop. I don't tense up and try to catch myself. I think it was the padded shorts catching on the seat.

Sorry that I posted and just disappeared :) My daughter and grandchildren came and spent the day :) It is always enjoyable to have the come over for the day.

Valerie, they told me things were looking better when I went to the appointment. I just know right now I have the teeth thing going on and am trying to stop it. I wish I could wear that device, but right now I am coughing like crazy and I suffer from dry mouth. It does not work out well.
I used to use linseed oil to thin some of my oil paints when painting. It does have a problem with darkening. I am guessing maybe that doesn't happen with wood?

Deb, I guess things went well for my granddaughter yesterday. My daughter sent me a picture of her with her boyfriend and she had a funny picture with teeth floating around and a white rag tied around her head and chin. Too funny :) When my daughter was here today I talked to her about the Botox and she says she gets it in her jaw area. She says she can tell when it wears off because she starts getting headaches from grinding her teeth. I am sure not ready for that myself. I missed the possible Ice 2 series.

Carolyn, Z Cut was usually only sold on Zuzka Light's web site or Amazon. She has workouts and youtube nutrition and blog posts on youtube.

Lori, do you know if the Z Cut workouts are meant to all be done from one dvd in a day or staggered? I am wondering how she meant these to be put together. I may just use them with other workouts. I didn't notice the warm up was separate at first so when I put in workout #1 I stopped it and did the 3 minutes on the rebounder and when I went back I saw the warm up. :) I started out very light because I wanted to get a feel for it first. A lot of cardio to the power strength. That is probably why she is so incredibly lean.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was an Advanced SB Lower body target. I then did a bounce or hers that targets the quads. One of my favorites. I then finished off with a BBS jumprope but did it on the rebounder. I used 1.5lb ankle weights and held 2lb hand weights instead of using a rope. Total time was 45mins / 263 cal. Busy day at work today. Between my workout this morning and running around the office I am at 14,173 steps!!

Valerie...your first ride sounds wonderful the second and crashing not so much. Glad all is ok. I am looking forward to the nicer weather. Can’t come soon enough. I was fortunate and did not need braces. However, I do have a crossbite and to correct it would require jaw surgery. Well that is not going to happen.

Diane Sue... amazing you did those Zcut workouts. She is not easy. I am sorry but I have no idea how they were meant to be used. I bought them a few years back. I do not recall there being any instructions. I am happy you will enjoy them. I love her personalty. Very down to earth and likeable. And unbelievably fit!!! I have heard that Botox helps with migranes too.

Deb...we are loving the color of the top and we are very happy. We decided to go with cream for the legs to match our cabinets. Plan to do this all over the weekend. Tonight I installed a 10 inch magnetic bar on the wall to hold our knives for easy access. Nothing fancy, but convenient. I put it up before my husband came home and he said “how do you come up with this stuff?’” He loved it. :) I saw the Ice 2 posting and looking forward to it. Very exciting.

Caroyln...glad it was only the upstairs that needed replacing. I have read that some use bees wax. My husband has been researching too. I will order Ice 2 the 1st day presales are available!!!

Hi to Judy and Janet!!

Lori, the oil that I used is John Taylor Butcher Block Conditioner. I followed that with Boos Block Board Cream. I bought both on Amazon after doing some research. I know yours will be beautiful.

Lori, I would avoid jaw surgery for sure. I did some searching an reviews and someone said the workouts were done 1 each day on the Cardio series with an option of doing more than one. I gather there was a 1 month program originally and she was supposed to have added some other options when she came out with the power strength series on her website. Her website now is all streaming, blogs, recipes, and her shop. No dvds. Her streaming seems like it would be better than the dvds. I am interested in her postural therapy workouts. She uses a method called Egoscue. Also I was reading over her write up on knees and postural therapy, and this month a video and some information on low back pain and what causes it and how to strengthen the areas and get rid of the pain. I did the side to side jumps on the rebounder. The burpees were competition burpees so all the way to the floor before coming up. I did some of these as just regular burpees holding the edge of the rebounder. Reading some reviews on Amazon from 2013 someone said she was 51? I thought she was younger than that.
I have been wanting to get one of those metal plates to mount on the end of my cupboard and put those metal spice containers on it with my main used spices handy instead of having to pull out tubs of spices out of my lower cabinets with the turn tables.

Valerie, I have been putting off my mammogram. I don't like doing them. They have been calling wanting to set up an appointment and I have not returned the call. I will call them eventually. That is too bad that you had the fall.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.