1 can Red kidney beans
1 can Haricot beans
1 can Canellini beans
1 large Onion
3 medium Tomatoes
1 small tin garden Peas
1 small tin Sweetcorn
3 oz cheddar cheese
(Smaller quantities can be used but will easily keep in the fridge and can be tubbed up for packed lunches etc – can be consumed either hot or cold).
1. Chop the onion and cut into small slices and put in a large microwavable dish
2. Chop tomatoes and add to dish
3. Open the tins of beans and rinse in sieve under cold running water – add to dish
4. Open the tin of peas and sweetcorn and add to dish
5. Cover dish with lid and place in microwave on high for around 7-8 minutes (depending on your microwave power you made need to adjust slightly)
6. After 5 mins take out, shake or stir ingredients and replace for remaining cooking time
7. Meanwhile grate 2-3 oz cheddar cheese (depending on how many people you wish to feed – add more if you like it extra cheesey or less if you want to keep calories lower).
8. When the bean mixture has finished cooking, drain off any excess juice and stir in the grated cheese until it starts to melt.
9. Add black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste and serve.
An Alternative would be to use a different combination of beans to add variety and texture – try Flageolet beans for example.
Enjoy your tasty and filling meal!