Your opinions on unplanned STS break...

dcat

Cathlete
I'm in Meso 2 Week 3...or what should be. I came down with a cold Friday. It's wiped me out pretty much. I have to save what energy I have for my 2 kids and for teaching two fitness classes this coming up weekend.

I managed to do chest on Monday so my husband could spot me but I didn't have the energy to finish shoulders and triceps until the next day. I had planned to do legs today but I ended up napping with my son while my daughter was at preschool. I really listened to my body and that's what I needed to do (reluctantly!).

I want to at least finish the balance of upper body this week (tomorrow or Friday), with the possibility of not getting to legs this week and cardio just Sat and Sun. Then next week, we're out of town for a long weekend starting on Wednesday. I had planned to front load the week (Sun, Mon, Tue) with M2 W4 STS but...given how I'm feeling, I don't think that's going to happen. I just want to get over this cold and at least enjoy a planned mini-vacation. So no STS and probably light cardio (depending on how I feel) so I don't go crazy.

Then I thought I would just pick up with M2 week 3 again after I get back, then do week 4 after that...then instead of a solid week off of weight lifting before Meso 3, maybe do one or two days of total body weights (like MM) in that rest week, nothing crazy, but to stimulate the muscles and not give them another long rest. I may not finish Meso 3 consecutively, either, due to another vacation. A bad cold in March kept me from starting STS on time so now I'm bumping into all these vacations!

Sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to maintain the cadence and would like to know what others have done if breaks popped up unplanned or what others think of this. The mental part of STS is important to me, so I feel like I'm not losing ground and at least maintaining what I've done so far.

Thanks, Diana

I didn't take any breaks during STS, but I know of other people who had unplanned breaks and came back to STS just fine. Just listen to your body and don't do too much while you're sick. If I were you I would just rest, and pick up where you left off when you come back, or maybe repeat M2 week 3, like you were thinking.

Unplanned break in Meso 2 week 3

I'm being hit with an unplanned break myself. I had a major Lupus relapse that triggered an MS relapse. I've been pretty much bedridden now for five days. The inflammation in my joints and lungs makes it impossible to even consider doing a workout (but I am chomping at the bit!). My doctor advised me that I need to increase my weights a little slower than others, not just because of my age, but because of my other physical limitations (bilateral hip and knee replacements and a triple level spinal fusion).

I plan to go back and redo some of Meso 2. I'm not in a race. This is MY program, each is MY workout. I have to take full ownership of each and every part of it I do. I slow down the reps as needed, take longer breaks if when/if needed so that I can get the most out of each set I do, each exercise I do.

Besides...I don't know how long I'll be able to DO these workouts. I have to enjoy every single one of them while I can. One of these days, my doctors might get brave enough to tell me I have to stop training so heavy and hard, and I'll have to consider listening to him/her. :D Honestly though, I am trying to be realistic about it. I'm not sure my body can take it. I don't know if I'm doing more harm than good... but I hold onto the hope that I am doing the right thing. That I will come out better, stronger and more functional, when I have completed STS.

My body started breaking down long before my spirit did. For the most part, my spirit is intact. I just have bad days when I question myself and bemoan my laundry list of diseases and handicaps. But then, I bounce back to my normal level of gleeful insanity and GUSTO, and jump right back in with everything I've got. Looking at me right now, the only place you're going to find anything that remotely resembles an athlete, is in my mind. But I'm OK with that (at the moment).

You do what you feel is right for you. That's the best advice anyone can give you. A cold can drain you of energy for weeks. Take your time. Rushing things won't help you recover any faster, it will make things worse. Take care of YOU.

Hi and Thank you Jbliff and SassyLady. I've put in calls to both my ortho (right hip so inflamed my groin feels swollen and I can barely limp around) and my Rheumie. I might call my Neuro too, but not just yet. I'll be seeing my Rheumie early tomorrow morning about the Lupus flare.

I broke down and took Aleve and pain pills today. I'm still limping, but at least I was able to do a bit of laundry, and get dinner on the table.

How are the two of YOU doing?

Boomer,
You are indeed an ATHLETE in every sense of the word! Thank you for sharing your spirit! May you be up and working out with GUSTO soon! (As my sister's second husband once said, "Who's Gusto?" Just kidding!!!! LOL!!!)
Hang in there! You are an inspiration!

Hi and Thank you Jbliff and SassyLady. I've put in calls to both my ortho (right hip so inflamed my groin feels swollen and I can barely limp around) and my Rheumie. I might call my Neuro too, but not just yet. I'll be seeing my Rheumie early tomorrow morning about the Lupus flare.

I broke down and took Aleve and pain pills today. I'm still limping, but at least I was able to do a bit of laundry, and get dinner on the table.

How are the two of YOU doing?

I'm in my rest week after finishing STS. I'm in the military & had to take an unofficial fitness test on Tuesday--I did okay--run could have been faster, but I did more push-ups & sit-ups than I have ever done before! :) I was really tired on Wednesday--I did cardio, but probably should have rested that day. On Thursday, I was pooped & did rest. Today, I'm planning to do some cardio. Next week, I'm going to start doing 4DS for awhile.

I wish you the best--my thoughts are with you & I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Boomer, after reading about what you're going through, I feel that any aches and pains I have are nothing to complain about! I finished STS 3 weeks ago and am now on a new rotation of one body part per day. STS has made me so much stronger, it's been a great discovery.

My thoughts are with you also. I hope the doctors can help you feel better and you can get back to STS. Take care!

Thanks for the encouraging posts...and Boomer, wow! I agree with the others that you are an inspiration and a true athlete. And you are so right about treating STS as our own workouts, our own program with Cathe's guidance, of course.

I managed to to do back and biceps Thurs and Legs Fri. I did them out of order because I wasn't sure if I'd have enough energy for legs and at least wanted to get the balance of upper body in. This morning I taught my cardio class, the first cardio workout I've had in 8 days. I felt fine, a little draggy as my sniffles are still there but energy is definitely back up. And now so are the DOMS. My butt hurts from the one leg sit n stands yesterday!

While I would like to start M2 Wk 4 tomorrow after my cardio class, I think I'll just wait until I get back from vacation so that I can fully eliminate this cold from my body. I'll do just cardio tomorrow, MM on Monday and another cardio or circuit on Tues, then take the break through Sunday of next week. I'll pick up with M2 Wk 4 when I return and maybe jump right into M3 Wk1 without another break. Or maybe do M2 Wk 3 & 4 with a week's break before getting into M3. WHATEVER!! I have to figure it out later as another vacation break will interupt M3.

Best to you, Boomer, and SassyLady, high fives to you, too!

I'm a total newbie and started STS last Friday - just when I planned a weekend getaway! I'm not quite sure what to do. After the trip I have another one coming in less than a month and that is for a week... should I wait until I return in August? I'd like to do the program from start to finish but with all these breaks coming I feel like I'm skimping. All advice appreciated! :)

I'm a total newbie and started STS last Friday - just when I planned a weekend getaway! I'm not quite sure what to do. After the trip I have another one coming in less than a month and that is for a week... should I wait until I return in August? I'd like to do the program from start to finish but with all these breaks coming I feel like I'm skimping. All advice appreciated! :)

Hi,

Try to complete at least a meso 1 before your trip and do not start any before completing your trips.
In between, there are other programs you can do . STS Total is one of them.
STS is a full program based on gradual overload concept to gain strength. This require taking time to do it.
It will not work if the rotation is not fully completed successfully.

It does take time to gain a response/adaptation from the body going through training. 4-6 weeks.
Making a judgement on skimpy rotation lasting two-three weeks now and then would not be accurate
regardless of the goal pursued.ATB

Thank you nckfitheart2009! I was sort of guessing that I should wait until I could complete meso 1 in its entirety but I'm glad you confirmed it! I'll either try total body STS (per your recommendation) or keep doing the rotations I have until I have the time. Thanks again! :)

Oh - I asked this in another thread (pest alert!) but I'm not sure how much weight Cathe and crew are lifting? I just bought STS total body (thank you, nckfitheart2009, again!) but honestly don't know what I should start with as my new barbell is pretty heavy at 14 pounds. If I knew what Cathletes such as yourself use that would be extremely helpful! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.