Your first EVER exercise video?

snowbee

Cathlete
Hi all,

I was thinking this morning about the history of my exercise habits and started chuckling over remembering the Jane Fonda workout video I used regularly in the early 80's, back in high school! She must've worn leg-warmers (or was that just the video cover?) and I also remember some weird kind of country/farmer music and "monkey" arms. I have to admit, though, I loved that workout!

Do any of you remember what your very first exercise video was?

The Firm Volume 1 (for $50!) in 1987. I alternated that tape and Callanetics every night for a year. I couldn't believe it when my scrawny muscles began showing definition! Those Firm tapes really gave me great results, then I found Cathe about 2 years ago and can't believe the even greater results I've gotten from her!

My first workout tape was the 20 Minute workout I loved the music & set. Bess Motta was my favorite instructor. I have come a long way since then.

Susan

Cher Fitness - a New Attitude -- that was the first exercise video I ever used, but before that I would record Charlene Prickett's It Figures show and use those tapes to work out.

Believe it or not, my first workout tape was a Jane Fonda AUDIO tape!:eek: I used to do it in my basement--cement, uneven floor--it's amazing I didn't kill myself!:7 When we finally got a VCR, I graduated to her videos (can't remember the names, but they were definitely her earliest ones). Then I tried Callanetics for a while, and then somehow I found The Firm (Volume 2 was actually the first one I tried, the one with Janet Jones-Gretzky) I think I saw it in a video store and recognized her, so I rented it. I loved it! I was so hooked! I then got Volume 1, and continued to get all of them as they came out. Then I found out about Cathe on videofitness.com, and the rest is history--I haven't looked back since!

-Marie:)

My first workout ever was Jacki Sorenson's Aerobic Dancing class when I was either 16 or 17. I loved it. My first non-class workout was a record album. I have no idea who it was, but I did it all the time. I then moved to videos with Jane Fonda.

Ya know I think I had a record album too as my first workout. It had a fold out paper that showed you the moves and you did it with the record telling you when to move and so forth. After that I did my own moves to different 45's I had at the time.

I had to really think about this one, but I believe it must have been Jane as well! I also remember some early Kathy Smith tapes, but all I remember about them is she would stop in the middle of the aerobic section to do weight work, but would first explain the move for about five minutes! I also remember the camera would do close-ups of her face more than anything else, so I never had a clue what we were supposed to be doing with our feet - LOL! Then I "progressed" to Denise Austin and Joannie Greggains, and finally I found the first Firm tape with Susan Harris. When I first previewed it I thought "OMG ... I don't think I can do this!" LOL! It was SO advanced compared to the fluff I was doing!! The Firm is all I did (except for a few brief forays into Tamilee Webb, Kari Anderson, and a few others, which I quickly abandoned), until I found Cathe!! I never knew what "advanced" exercise was until I found her!!!

Carol
:)

I have to Say it was Cher Fitness A New Attitude. I did it at firsst with no step, hadn't gotten one yet. I remember after doing the abs the next day I couldn't laugh, they hurt so bad! I also remember doing the lower body and being sore for days afterwards. Yup, I was I think 15 years old at that time. Ah, good times, good times...

Kathy

Well I think only Lisa & myself remember Joannie Greggins!!! Both of us used to do her albums. Ha! Also probably one Jane Fonda but after those I had a gym membership until I did Mega Step Blast. That was my very first step tape of Cathe. Some of those outfits we used to wear were hysterical!! Kathy:7

Buns of Steel Target Toning
Abs of Steel Target Toning
Abs & Arms of Steel (Tamilee)
Got 'em all at the same time :)

Kathy Smith's "Ultimate Workout". Sooooo totally early '80's, in dress, movements, music, everything. DH had suggested I try an exercise video when I got rid of my Nordic Track machine, and the first vid I bought was a Fonda; however, DH is a Vietnam combat veteran, so back to the store I was sent with the Fonda vid to exchange. Kathy Smith's voice was about an octave higher when she made that video!

A-Jock

Probably Buns of Steel. It just seems like another world ago!

I'm cracking myself up here. Don't know why this popped into my head, but does anyone remember Robert Preston (of Music Man fame-- at least I think it was him) singing the Chicken Fat song? I know I'm old but I'm just laughing out loud in my office thinking of him singing "Go, you chicken fat, go away! Go, you chicken fat, go!" This might have been in elementary school ca. 1969???? :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.