Would you have Plastic surg

acatalina

Cathlete
I was talking to my DH and told him i hated the lines i am getting and circles under my eyes. He told me go get it fixed.I am afraid it will hurt. I watch tv too much. Discovery Health.
He would pay for it.
It was retaining wall and driveway or my face and maybe boobs...
So, I am thinking about it .The driveway can wait. I can deal with gravel. The concrete work is going to run over 30 grand and I am worth it.
I can take a couple weeks off in Jan and i may just do it....
Would you do it?
I feel younger than the mirror shows aome days and it bothers me.
My mother didn't age well. She never took care of herself. I love her, but i don't want to look like her, and my profession calls for looks.
What do you think?
Should i do it?
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Hi Anne.

I had a procedure done and I am very happy with it.

I would suggest that you research it thoroughly though and consult with a few plastic surgeons before making a final decision. It's a wonderful option but not something to be taken lightly.

So yes, if I were you and unhappy, I would consider if it I had the money.

Let us know the outcome!:)

Honestly, no. I have had several non-elective surgeries, and I would never ever have surgery if I did not have to. And if I was, I would consider Lasiks, but at my age(45), the eyes are starting to do funny things anyway.

You asked, and this is me. I would never do surgery like this, and would spend the money on the house.

Hey Anne,
Its good that when you look in the mirror that you feel younger than you might "look" but theres always somethings about ourselves that we don't like. Do what you feel is best!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

I had a "boob job" (reconstruction after masectomy). Would I ever have cosmetic surgery again? NO WAY!!!!! I'll take the good ol' droopy originals anyday over the perky new ones. My right one could already be replaced but I just assume not fool with it again, at least not for quite awhile. It actually looked flatter than the left breaast from day one (it has now been 5 years). Keep what you got! I bet you look absolutely beautiful as you are!

This is a decision that you will have to make yourself. That being said, I would never have plastic surgery. At 45, I consider myself to be in the best shape of my life both physically and mentally. Although I partly workout to look good, my motivation is mostly to be healthy and stay active and fit so I can enjoy my retirement years. I respect the aging process and everything that comes with it. I don't want to go back to being or looking like a 20 year old. I don't think I look like I'm 45 and that's great because I'm aging in my own way. I have a couple of gray hairs, chin hairs and a few lines but that's it. Also, I would be scared to death to go under the knife. I have never had surgery or been in a hospital. I just wouldn't consider it, even botox.

Dml,

I am getting a breast reconstruction in November. My mastectomy was in January.

What kind of reconstruction did you get? Would you have gotten a different kind if you could do it again? How was the pain?

Thanks!

Susan L.G.

Anne, have you tried visiting a dermatologist? There seem to be lots of methods for dealing with dark circles under the eyes and such that don't involve surgery these days.

I've developed a few brown spots on my face that make me look older, and I'm going to ask the dermatologist what she can do when I get the time.

Since your face is what you present to the world, I think it is important to feel good about it. I meet with clients frequently, and I know I feel more confident and do a better job when I'm not distracted by feeling self-conscious about anything. It can make a big difference.
-Nancy

well, never say never so I guess my response would be "I hope not." Plastic surgery is a tremendous gift for those who deal with facial deformities etc., of course, but I loathe
the prevailing American idea that says that older women should "fix" their little age problem if they can. As I have said before on this topic, age is a circumstance. Being 25 is not inherently meritorious and being 45 is not inherently shameful. I like being almost 40! Who cares if I have a few more laugh lines or wrinkles? To me those tell the world that I showed up for life. Why erase your history? JMO.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Anne, We cannot answer this for you. If you are not 100% totally sure and on board, you are not ready. That is not to say you never will be ready...but maybe you won't! If you are unsure then WAIT! Don't do anything unless you feel certain.

If your interested, go for a few consults, talk to some doctors, get online and read up on the procedures and get on forums and talk to those who have had the procedures done. Understand it inside and out, weigh everything, consider all the alternatives and pick what feels totally right for you. You may learn that such surgery is the last thing you want to do.

If you go into an operating room hesitant, then there is an increased chance that you will be unhappy with the results! That's a lot of $$$ for **unhappy**.

I say start researching. Knowledge is power.

This tends to be a controversial topic here, so I have intentionally not read any earlier responses. My answer is, do what makes you happy! Just make sure you do your research with surgeons and find someone really good.

Good luck!!
Marie

If it is something that you have become self conscious about, then do it! My gosh, the pain will be temporary, and if you'll feel better about yourself afterward and have more confidence, then why not? Yes, aging happens, and there will always be something you don't like about yourself. But if this sticks out for you, and it's constantly on your mind, then go for it!

I absolutely would. I have considered it for many years, as I have flabby arms that no amount of Cathe or diet has solved. The rest of me is small and they make me look disproportional. But, the $$ is what stops me, I just don't have it.

I agree with everyone else that this is a decision that you have to make for yourself. But I would say that if it's something that will make you feel better...you should do the research, meet with some doctors, find out everything you can about it, and if it still seems right for you.. then go for it! Just as you will find many people who will tell you that they would never do it and/or did it and regret it, you can find many people who will tell you they are so glad they did and feel much better about themselves for doing it.

Good luck in making your decision! :)

Jennifer

>Honestly, no. I have had several non-elective surgeries, and
>I would never ever have surgery if I did not have to. And if
>I was, I would consider Lasiks, but at my age(45), the eyes
>are starting to do funny things anyway.
>
>You asked, and this is me. I would never do surgery like
>this, and would spend the money on the house.

Personally, I agree with Dorothy (and Diane Keaton is my role model!) but no one can make the decision for you. You have to do what makes YOU feel best, and what is in line with your personal beliefs and values.

Ann, if I were you, and I'm not, but if I were, I would go research a few different options. Maybe go see a dermatologist first, they have a few procedures to lessen lines and dark circles that will first, be less expensive and second, less recovery time. If you do that, or have done that and don't like what they say, then go see a few dr.'s get as many referrals as you can.
I'm still pretty young so I can't say as to whether or not I will eventually want any plastic surgery done on my face to keep me looking younger. I think on one hand, yeah, what's wrong with our cluture that the young are worshipped and the older, more wise, people are shunned? Yet, being raised in this culture I find myself fighting aging every step of the way so far.
I say, you do whatever you want to do.

Kathy

>Anne, have you tried visiting a dermatologist? There seem to
>be lots of methods for dealing with dark circles under the
>eyes and such that don't involve surgery these days.

There is no surgery I know of that will deal with dark circles. What can dermatologists do for them?

There is this guy in Pittsburgh.Dennis J Hurwitz. He has been on TV. He does alot of reconstructive, mainly facial. He is supposed to be one of the best. I need to talk to my sister. She worked at Presby for 25 yrs. She knows who is good.
I just look in the mirror and say . I hate this...
And the DH is offering to pay.
I guess i need to make a consult appt. and decide.
I just don't like pain. I am awful.....
Thanks for the opinions.
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Personally, no, I would not. I am defining plastic surgery as a non essential type of procedure, which does not include breast reconstruction,etc.

God gave me this face, I am constantly trying to improve the rest of my body naturally, and life just goes on no matter what.

If the question is would I do it, the answer is yes, if I really wanted it. I had my nose fixed when I was 25 and I was so happy with the results. My nose was crooked and had a big bump on it. I was extremely self-conscious about anyone looking at my profile. Having my nose fixed made be feel better about myself and I gained self-confidence. I don't know if there is any correlation, but soon thereafter I went back to college and eventually went to law school. I think that feeling better about myself physically gave me confidence enough to go back to school, sometime I had been previously reluctant to do.

Whether you should do it? I agree with everyone else that it is a personal decision. But, after doing your homework and some sole searching, if you really want it, I say go for it.

Buffy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.