Would love to see New Cardio Moves

anderson

Cathlete
I have been doing Cathe's workouts for 12 years now. I enjoy Cathe's workout because they are very advanced and get the job done. I like her moves such as: bunny hops, tuck jumps and plyo jumps and etc, however it seems that these moves are done in almost every workout and can get a little boring sometimes. I still love Cathe but would like to see something different maybe a kettlebell workout or just some new moves. What does anyone else think?

Hi Anderson,

Unfortunately, Cathe is not certified in Kettlebells nor does she have any experience teaching it and she would never make a video unless she was. So this is not an option she could currently consider.

Cathe has made over 530 videos, (including Fit Tower, Indoor Cycling, Step, Low Impact, Hiit, Kickboxing, Yoga, Metabolic, Strength Training, Boot Camp, Interval Training, Hi/Lo, Circuit, and High Step), utilizing probably over 1000 different exercise variations and movements through the years and most new DVD workouts usually contain at least a few exercises she has never used before. Unfortunately, the human body only moves in so many ways and only certain exercises are truly effective and Cathe has used nearly all of these. I've heard it said that body builders today mainly use the same 10 exercises as body builders 50 years ago.- Why?...well because they are the most effective exercises and they have stood the test of time. Also, the exercise used in a routine is not the only variable that can be changed. You can also change tempo, sets, reps, volume, exercise order, weight, grip, and equipment used. Quite often it is better to change these variables than replacing an effective exercise with a less effective one.

The reason Cathe is known for being one of the best instructors is she has learned through teaching thousands of classes which exercise are best and more importantly which exercise movements get the heart rate up to where it should be or hit the muscle the best. Knowing which exercise or movement to use and where it should be placed in a routine is something few instructors ever master and what makes Cathe who she is.

I don't feel the need for a kettle bell workout at all. Cathe has already provided us with such an amazing array of workouts to choose from. Bored??!! Never! I think the variety is incredible (and if you notice there are times we swing a weight which I would think is very similar to swinging a kettle bell). I love Cathe's workouts and continue to feel they are the best around. I just wish I had the money to get a spin bike and then I would buy all of her spin dvds as well.

I don't feel the need for a kettle bell workout at all. Cathe has already provided us with such an amazing array of workouts to choose from. Bored??!! Never! I think the variety is incredible (and if you notice there are times we swing a weight which I would think is very similar to swinging a kettle bell). I love Cathe's workouts and continue to feel they are the best around. I just wish I had the money to get a spin bike and then I would buy all of her spin dvds as well.
Cathe's workouts are realy good and I still use her workouts at least once a week. She does offer a good amount of variety but it would just be nice to see a few different moves at times other then: plyo jumps, ski hops, lateral sides and tuck jumps in every workout. I still like to do these moves but just want something a little different at times.

Hi Anderson,

Unfortunately, Cathe is not certified in Kettlebells nor does she have any experience teaching it and she would never make a video unless she was. So this is not an option she could currently consider.

Cathe has made over 530 videos, (including Fit Tower, Indoor Cycling, Step, Low Impact, Hiit, Kickboxing, Yoga, Metabolic, Strength Training, Boot Camp, Interval Training, Hi/Lo, Circuit, and High Step), utilizing probably over 1000 different exercise variations and movements through the years and most new DVD workouts usually contain at least a few exercises she has never used before. Unfortunately, the human body only moves in so many ways and only certain exercises are truly effective and Cathe has used nearly all of these. I've heard it said that body builders today mainly use the same 10 exercises as body builders 50 years ago.- Why?...well because they are the most effective exercises and they have stood the test of time. Also, the exercise used in a routine is not the only variable that can be changed. You can also change tempo, sets, reps, volume, exercise order, weight, grip, and equipment used. Quite often it is better to change these variables than replacing an effective exercise with a less effective one.

The reason Cathe is known for being one of the best instructors is she has learned through teaching thousands of classes which exercise are best and more importantly which exercise movements get the heart rate up to where it should be or hit the muscle the best. Knowing which exercise or movement to use and where it should be placed in a routine is something few instructors ever master and what makes Cathe who she is.
In strength training you can't really use different moves. The standard moves are find and effective that's why bodybuilders tend to stick with those. Cathe's strength training workouts are fine. I find all of them challenging. I was just asking for different cardio moves like in the Ripped with Hitt series she used different moves in which I really enjoyed. I still like her old moves as well but i can always modify and throw in my own moves as well.

I have been doing Cathe's workouts for 12 years now. I enjoy Cathe's workout because they are very advanced and get the job done.
What does anyone else think?

Anderson,you know what I think....... I think Cathe knows what she is doing and has an inclusive niche on the market with her comprehensive, well balanced exercise videos and Cathe Live. You yourself say that she "gets the job done". I agree. When I jump started my road to a better, healthier me, I took a local boot camp class. I loved it but I came home feeling I needed more. So out came the Cathe DVDs and complimenting the local boot camp class of that day, trained to get the necessary elements whether is was cardio or strength training that I felt was lacking.
The class on certain days were rogue and high rep repetitive meaning numbers in the 100s, which doesn't feel good in the long run for the joints. Cathe's exercise choices are easy on the joints yet give you the maximum burn and optimum cardio volume/heart rate. There is no boredom factor for me of the same exercises and there is always a different sequence of the exercises that makes it feel distinct yet familiar and complimentary. I'll take a bunny hop, apple pickers, puddle jumpers, plyos or jacks anytime and there are many new moves in every DVD that Cathe releases.

Hi anderson,

When it comes to HiiT workouts they have the same limitations that strength training workouts have as far as new moves go. There are only so many moves that can be done to get a heart rate up to where it should be for a HiiT workout. This means an instructor either has to reuse moves that are effective or try to be creative by using less effective movements. This is especially true in an advanced Low Impact routine where there really are only a handful of exercises that will do the job of getting the heart rate up to where a HiiT workout should be.

In the past choreography based routines were what everyone wanted and these workouts focused more on creativity and less on intensity. HiiT is what is popular nowadays, so the emphasis is now more on the intensity and less on the choreography. Each HiiT series Cathe does always has at least some new cardio moves, but they are mixed with her main base moves to keep the heart rate where it should be. In a HiiT workout exercise selection and order take preference to creativity as a true HiiT workout needs to keep your heart rate in the upper range.

I'm sure Cathe will make some more choreography based workouts in the future as fitness trends always come and go. In the fitness world, you can always count on "what was old will become what is new" and "what is new will become old". However, if you're looking for something different now check out Cathe's Fit Tower workouts. By their nature they offer a completely different direction for Cathe to create workouts.

You might try doing some of the older workout like in the March rotation. After a new series comes out I kind of burn myself out on it, then I go back and do some oldie but goodies and I feel refreshed.
Yes, I have been doing her older step videos for some different variety. The dancey step videos have been a challenge and offer me something different

Hi Anderson! I'm just seeing your post now and have read all the comments (thanks everyone for offering your ideas and suggestions). I completely hear what you are saying with wanting more variety. It can seem as though a few moves get repeated from workout to workout and it has already been explained why in a couple of responses. I really don't have any new information to offer to what has been said or suggested for variety but I did want you to know that I personally saw your post and understand your point. Believe me, I wish there were many other ways to do exercises to keep that heart rate up in the high end of the training zone. Every time I create a workout I put down every idea possible and write it into the workout. Then when I put it to the test, if a move doesn't hold the heart rate up to the expected standards of that workout, I pull it. Sometimes a new move may look cool and different but the heart rate drops to the point where I have to do the move way too long to get the right effect. So before I pull it entirely I try to add weight to it or put a new twist on it to give it a little umph. Sometimes that works and it becomes a keeper and sometimes it still doesn't work and gets pulled. Basically the bottom line (for me) is every workout should be as seamless as possible in its quest to deliver the promised results in a timely efficient manner. Thanks for listening and thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I'm happy that you have enjoyed my workouts with me over the many years.

Hi Anderson! I'm just seeing your post now and have read all the comments (thanks everyone for offering your ideas and suggestions). I completely hear what you are saying with wanting more variety. It can seem as though a few moves get repeated from workout to workout and it has already been explained why in a couple of responses. I really don't have any new information to offer to what has been said or suggested for variety but I did want you to know that I personally saw your post and understand your point. Believe me, I wish there were many other ways to do exercises to keep that heart rate up in the high end of the training zone. Every time I create a workout I put down every idea possible and write it into the workout. Then when I put it to the test, if a move doesn't hold the heart rate up to the expected standards of that workout, I pull it. Sometimes a new move may look cool and different but the heart rate drops to the point where I have to do the move way too long to get the right effect. So before I pull it entirely I try to add weight to it or put a new twist on it to give it a little umph. Sometimes that works and it becomes a keeper and sometimes it still doesn't work and gets pulled. Basically the bottom line (for me) is every workout should be as seamless as possible in its quest to deliver the promised results in a timely efficient manner. Thanks for listening and thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I'm happy that you have enjoyed my workouts with me over the many years.
I understand...it must be kind of hard to try and come up with new moves in workouts. Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my post.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.