Workout Warriors Springing into April

Kim we've played out your scenario before, with the cats and the dog. I've rescued bunnies, mice, moles, birds.... Cats are worse than dogs, because 1) they tend to be more efficient and 2) their bite is pretty deadly. I used to do wildlife rehab and animals bitten by cats almost always die without antibiotics because cat mouths house so many nasty things. We try to take things from Sparty when we can, but usually by the time we get to him they are beyond savings. He is definitely not efficient and really doesn't want to kill them, he views them as tiny playmates. Their part of the play is to move around, so that he can chase them, and once they've been played with too much and stop moving fast enough on their own, he starts tossing them around and chasing them. Last time he actually played with the same dead mouse for at least four days! He's lay it down in the yard and when he wanted it, he would go back exactly where he left it. At least during that time, he wasn't trying to find anyone else to torment.

Friday I did Disk 27 Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps. Feeling all of them today! Oh, and in one of those truly brilliant maneuvers with my barbell, on my first set of barbell curls, which followed shoulder presses, I added a 10 lb plate to each end and FORGOT to remove the 5 lb plates. I picked it up and went WTH why is it making me lift so much. But, I gamely gave it a shot. Once I realized what I'd done, I discovered that I was trying to curl 46 lbs, which was one pound heavier than my 1 rep max!

My inner thighs are finally feeling almost normal today and I have plyo legs tomorrow. Someone remind me again, why I thought it was a good idea to do both leg workouts in Meso 3.

Was actually a beautiful day here today. Mid-60's. Kim, I'm not even going to try and figure out what your temp was, so feel free to do the same with mine. Let's just call it sweatshirt weather. ;)

Oh, and if you the poor creatures you are rescuing are mice or voles, then seeds and such are what they eat. Insects would be for moles or shrews.

Happy Monday Warriors!

I hope everyone had a lovely and blessed Easter and Passover.

Cathy – I am putting a box in the mail to you today, you should get it on Wednesday or possibly Thursday. :)

Regina – Wow – a lot of shoes! I just bought Asics Gel Intensity for cross-training/plyo workouts. Do you still like the Ryka Assists? I started looking at rebounders and then rebounder workouts and then the Urban Extreme workouts. Then I thought better of it and decided to pick up a used rebounder when I find one and see if it fits into my workout style first. Have used your rebounder for Insanity? I am thinking about buying Asylum, what do you think of Shaun T.’s new workouts?

Kim – I am jealous of all the gardening time you have had. Our weather has been too unpredictable. I’m going to wait one more week before I buy anything and definitely one more before I plant my tomatoes. Dudley and Mungo are cute names, adding them to the list. I enjoyed reading about your attempts at rescuing the kitty’s conquests. Did you figure out what they were? Glad you sorted out the download issues and were able to try new workouts, Low Impact Circuit is a fun one.

Kimberly – Thanks for your input about KCM, I will check her out too. I am pretty finicky about workout instructors/personalities. I take it you do mostly video workouts when the weather is bad, hence waiting to buy Asylum until next winter?

MJ – Are you out there? I miss you, dear.

You too, Tara, are you out there honey pie?:)

As for me – this week my rotation is splits. I will be doing Pyramid Upper/Lower twice (each) this week, filling in with running, rowing and a round of Core Cardio Circuit.
:D

Helloooo Warriors!

How do I miss so much time? I swear I blink and its another week or two gone by, its not just like this for the check-in its for everything at the moment. Anyway, apologies for being MIA yet again. *sigh* :(

So things are still crazy at work, surprise, surprise...but at least I have been working out regularly again. And, I have decided...well really forced...myself to take some time off at the end of May. So I am going to tennis camp in upstate new york for a week from May 27th until June 1st. I am going on my adventure all by myself and disappearing from my usual life. Oh by the way, if for some reason any of you want to come along, they have every level of player, including beginners that have never swung a racquet. ;) It could be fun. For those that do not know, I made a goal of going to tennis camp in 2009 and went during christmas time that year. This time I am going in spring, so it will be nice to see nature not buried under snow, and now that it is already in the high 80's-low 90's with high humidity here (we skipped spring apparently and went right to summer) it will be nice for some tennis in cooler temps.

So needless to say, I have to get myself in a lot better shape to handle 5 days of tennis in a row 6+ hours a day. I have put together a very aggressive rotation for the next 5 weeks, with all different cathe cardio, tennis class, running and sts meso 1 plus plyo legs. Also have my 5k to run in the middle of May, plus I have signed up for the 10k midnight run for 4th of july. So now I have 10 weeks to double my running capability. I guess I need a few goals to focus on....lol...or I have finally fallen over the edge from partially insane, to full insanity. :p

Kim - loved your story on the cat adventures. I am not an pet person, allergic to most animals, growing up I only had experience with goldfish, my brothers hamsters and a week long adventure with a baby chick living in my room...(dont ask)...so I live vicariously through other peoples pet stories. I love the cardio only premix from LIC. Its one of the go to ones when I need a pick me up.

Cathy- You run a regular animal shelter at your house! :) Congrats on doing both leg workouts in meso 3. I would like to be able to remind you why it was a good idea, but I am sure in a week or two I will be asking the same thing about meso 1 legs with plyo legs. :p It always sounds great when we are thinking about the rotation, reality never creeps into fantasy until its too late. lol

Janis- I am glad to see you are doing full rotations now with running and everything! Yeah! We will have to discuss the racing possibilities soon. Up for a half marathon in late summer/early fall? ;) (See I have lost my marbles, I havent even made a 10k yet lol) I wear the gel intensity shoes as well. Everytime I try to switch I end up going back to them. I wear asics running shoes too. Will be trying their tennis shoes too, when my current adidas finally die. And like you, I have a ridiculous amount of gym shoes, time to clean out and donate. I even have some still in boxes that I need to find a home.

Anyone wear a 6-6.5 shoe? Seriously, I will send them to whomever would like them.

Also, any of you who have Asylum, lets hear the reviews. I am on the fence about buying it (ok, I will proably buy it, but trying not to right now) but still want to know if it is good. :)

Alright, must get back to work. Hello to everyone I missed. Hope everyone had a good holiday, if that is your sort of thing. ;)

Be back later, this week...really, I mean it this time....I am writing it into the rotation as part of my workout. :cool:

Yesterday morning was another round of plyo legs and again, I'm not much sore from them. As long as I only get killed by one of the leg workouts, I'll keep doing them both. This morning I did Disk 28 Chest & Back. As you'll recall, last week I talked myself into doing 26 lbs for flys all the while knowing that I'd still have two more weeks of increases. Could it jump 1 lb? NO, of course not. It wanted me to jump 2 lbs and I just couldn't convince myself to try it, so I opted to just go up 1 lb. Did it!!! Honestly if someone had told me when I got STS that I'd be doing 27 lbs for flys I would have totally bet money against myself. Of course, depending on how much I bet, I could have rigged the outcome. :p

Yesterday my bi's, tri's and shoulders will still sore from Friday and every time I had to use my arms I was reminded of it. My tri's are still pretty sore today. I took Derek to the zoo, and I think all the walking kept my legs from tightening up.

Weather....the weather gods hate us. Derek's practice was cancelled again tonight. They haven't played in over a week and the day they played, they played in rain. It hasn't rained much today, but the fields are too wet to use. They have their first tournament this weekend and they've managed one outdoor practice and two games. At least it's at home with local teams, and not one of the big tournaments where they would get their butts kicked. These teams will have had as little practice as they have. I know I'm being a whiny bitch, at first I was all for just being accepting of the rain, but truly it's been a couple weeks now and it's getting really old.

I'm also organizing concession volunteers which is always fun, because even though everyone is supposed to take a shift, some people just really don't seem inclined to help. I'm supposed to be organizing the 10U teams stuff and this is a 10U/13U tournament, so I e-mailed the other coach asking who was organizing for him. He says no one, and could I do that for him. So, I'm playing control freak. :D

MJ has it really been that long since you went to that tennis camp? Fantastic that you are planning to go again. What you need to hope for is dry weather! And so true about the fantasy rotations. I always seem to have very grandiose ideas of my abilities. :rolleyes: Passing on the shoes, I'm not even a very legitimate size 5.

Janis I'll be watching the mail. ;) I will be finished with my no sugar challenge on Sunday and hopefully will just continue on from there. Enjoy the pyramids. That ab work in PUB just kills me every time, because my arms get so tired.

Off to fold laundry....such an exciting day.

Cathy- when my kids were younger they created their own animal shelter. We had all kinds of God's creatures in our garage. They loved to try to nurse birds and other animals back to health. We had a bird feeder and they became rather good at identifying various bird species. At one time one of my sons son wanted to be a marine biololgist.

Kimberly- I am loving Asylum. It is tough but that gives me a goal to work toward.

Janis - I still like my Ryka Assist. I did much of Insanity on my rerbounder and some of the moves in Asylum I also do on the rerbounder.

MJ- If you like Insanity then you will also like Asylum. I loved Insanity but I actually like Asylum a bit more than Insanity. Asylum is a sports performance based series of workouts. I had the most difficult time with the Speed and Agility workout. I used to be able to do Insanity on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning but with Asylum, I have discovered that I need to eat something about 90 minutes prior to attempting them. All of the workouts are fun. 'Vertical Pylo' is tough but doable. I think that the 'Vertical Plyo' routine is so much more fun than any of Cathe's plyo routines. I have my own agility ladder that I like more than the one that came with Asylum. When I am trying to improve my jumping I just put tape markers in the form of a ladder on the floor. I find that it is safer that way. 'Game Day' is 60 minutes of various sports inspired drills. It is slightly similar to Max Interval Sports Training in Insanity but tougher and more varied. The Weight workout "Strength" is good, Shaun and the crew show alternatives for most of the exercises. I use my pullup bar and I had to dig deep to try to do one of the pullup bar exercises in which he has you tuck your knees and hold them there while doing a release and reverse hand grip.That is one exercise that I will definitely have to work on. Another of the pull up bar exercises that gave me major back DOMS was the one in which you grasp the pull up bar, engage your lats and jump. Funny, when I did this exercise I did not think that it was very effective for the back but I found out the next day that I was definityely wrong! I have not done the 'Back To Core' workout yet. Asylum comes with 3 suggested rotations-- one with just Asylum, one mixing P90x and Asylum and one mixing Insanity with Asylum.

I am going to do a full rotation of Asylum in May. In June I will do the P90X and Asylum rotation.

Oh, by the way, another plus for Asylum is that Shaun is an eye pleaser and has a great bod.

Have A Great Day.

Last edited:
Happy Wednesday Warriors!

My splits week is going well - this is the first time I have done Cathe's PUB/PLB, it has become an immediate favorite. Yesterday, after PLB, I wanted to try out my new Asics Gel Intensity cross training shoes, so I did LIC-cardio only. The right kind of shoes made all the difference; I am really happy with my selection. Today I'll run on the tm and later I plan on doing CCC -cardio core circuit or whatever it is called.

Regina - thank you (very much) for your review of Asylum. I almost bought it immediately! I'll be interested to hear about your results after a regular rotation combined with P90x. Yes, I agree Shaun T is nice to look at - AND he is not annoying. (I rather like Tony Horton too! although he does get tiresome after a little while.)

MJ - I know, I know - I caught running race fever, remember?! My first race, my only race, was a 10k! Then I ran ran ran myself right into an injury. This time around I am hanging out at 5k for a long while and will slowly build my running time, then later I'll work on distance. Let's find a fun race to run that won't kill either one of us! I am so happy happy happy that you signed up for tennis camp again. YAY! You will have a great time, and you really need the break from work. :D

Cathy - Congrats on your weight increase with flys. The heaviest I go is 25#. Although, at that point in the STS program I was aiming for simplicity and ditched the gloves and wrist weights. I really need to buy some plate weights, or make them. Did the box arrive? Any sunshine in your forecast? This is "last frost" week for us. Next week I can plant my tomatoes and cukes.

Have a splendid middle of the week everyone, looking forward to hearing from Kim and Kimberley and all the past, present and future warriors.

:D

Janis- Now I have to get Asics Gel Intensity sneakers to add to my collection. I really like Shaun in Asylum. At the begninng of one of the workouts ( I think that it is in Speed and Agility') he tells us " Look I am not playing with you today!" He made me laugh. He is really not that stern in the workout. He pushes you but also reminds to work at our own ability level and the only that over time your abilities and capabilities will improve. Most of the time, I like Tony Hrton too. He provides comic relief. Shaun is never annoying or over bearing! As you can tell, I really like Shaun and Asylum. Shaun says in one of the "relief" workout that he would come and rub our backs! Hey Shaun, I am still waiting (smile)! I use my plate mates alot. They were defihtely a good investment.

Anyway, alot is going on at work. I am taking a break from reading papers today. So much is going on that I have not done a workout since Sunday. I hope to get back on schedule next week.

Everyone- Have a Great DAY

Last edited:
Hola Warriors!

So far so good this week for workouts....yesterday I ran in the morning, then did hiit 30/30 and sts m1w1 legs and then this morning I did the kickbox cardio from 4DS. I am starting to feel the doms coming on from yesterday in my legs, so tennis class tonight should be interesting. :p

I am having a hard time at work this week just getting myself to actually do the work....i think its a combo of being too burnt out and the pile of work being way too high for reality even if I wasnt so dead. Anyway, just trying to push myself out of this work funk. Until then I thought I would come check-in. lol

Regina- Thanks for review of Asylum. I will definitely buy it, I like the sports drill workouts. I am going to try to make my pocketbook wait until I am ready to use some of the workouts. Insanity has been sitting for a very long time collecting dust. So maybe after tennis camp I will add some of those into the mix and then add in asylum workouts too.

Cathy-Way to go on the chest flys! I am impressed, I am not even close to that number yet. I hope the weather gods help you out a little. You are welcome to our 90 degree humidity if you would like. You would have to add alot more water and gatorade to your concessions. lol

Janis- Glad you like the new sneakers. The gel intensity are especially comfy for step. I like the pyramid workouts too. I especially like the pyramid up premix as you can go really heavy with the weights and it is an effective timesaver. As for the races, I hear you, I am trying to be sensible and not end up injured. But like everything else, once I start thinking about it, I have to look into everything, so now I spend too much time looking at all kinds of races wishing I could do them all, etc, etc. I know that I wont be ready for a long while to do them and no way even if I was ready that I could do that many, just cant seem to stop my touch of OCD and the need to look and wonder. lol I am such a geek! :D Definitely need to find a fun race to do with you and anyone else who wants to join in. :cool:

Alright, must go work (or at least attempt to anyway). Will check back later.

Apparently, I never made it here yesterday. So, I'll back up a bit. Yesterday morning I did 10-10-10 cardio and followed it up with CCC Core work. If you ever want a short and deadly cardio - that's the one. Only 7 minutes, but it's tough.

Today was squat rack legs. So far, I'm not sore, so we'll see what the morning brings. I'd rather not have another 3-4 days of my inner thighs killing me. I've pretty much maxed myself out on squats. Next week it's going to want me to jump up about 5 lbs and the only thing I can add to what I'm already using is my weighted gloves which will add another 2 lbs to the total. I really need another set of 5 lb plates and a 10 lb set, but I'm not going to get anywhere to get them before next week. Schedule is too crazy.

Yesterday afternoon and evening were very nice and then more rain over night and a LOT of rain today. Then about 3:00 it turned sunny again. More rain predicted tonight and tomorrow. :(

MJ one of my FL friends had her air go out yesterday. Not fun. And believe me on hot days we sell a ton of water and gatorade and freezer pops. At .25 they are a big hit with the kids. Last year we sold over a 100 in one day and could have sold another 100 if we'd had them, but they don't freeze fast enough.

You did 30/30 and then did a leg workout after running! Yikes :eek:

Janis no package yet. Getting curiouser and curiouser... Have you done the core work from PUB?

Regina my youngest is the little naturalist in the family. He's getting better as he gets older, but every year he turns the screened porch into his own personal creature habitat. Lots of containers and frogs, toads, insects. We're planning to have it rescreened and set up so that we can actually sit out there and eat meals again this year.

OK everyone can relax - I'll take it from here.

Obviously with the Royal Wedding tomorrow you'll all be looking to me for correct etiquette and a few form pointers for speech, to help you enjoy the commentary.

So here goes.........

You say “eether” and I say “either”

Lever is pronounced leeever
And route is root. So the route to the Abbey is actually the root – not to be confused with the florestry in Kate's bouquet.

Fries are chips and chips are crisps
Jello is jelly and jelly is jam
A muffin is a cake unless it's a muffin and an English muffin is an actual muffin - though most people prefer crumpets
Cookies are biscuits; unless they’re cookies in which case they’ll just be cookies - hope that clears up any confusion
An eraser is a rubber and a rubber is ………. (well I expect William and Kate have got that all straighten out already)
Trash is garbage and garbage is rubbish
A bit like this post………………………So let’s call the whole thing off

If you need any more help with stuff just give me a call at the asylum

Last edited:
Oh I beg your pardon

And a cupboard is a closet, which is where Prince William will find his uncle Andrew as he's not come out yet.

Happy to help

Cathy- great progress on the flies! I am so impressed.

MJ- Hope that things are better at work for you and that you get back into your groove. My work motto- never do today what you can put of until tomorrow (just kidding)!

Cathy- when I read about your youngest son being the naturalist, I started thinking about when my kids were younger and how fast times goes by. Where does the time go? We have pictures and videos and sometime DH and reminisce about all of the great times that we had with them. We continue to have great times with them but it is just different. It took us a while to adjust to “empty nest” syndrome but now I am so enjoying it!

Kim- thanks for the lesson on the Queen’s English (cute)! I still feel slighted that I was not invited to the royal wedding. I had my royal garb all ready (smile).

I was reading about the severe weather in the south. The tornado really created such a large path of destruction.

Have A Great Day Everyone- I have got to get back to reading papers.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone! I'm about to disappear into a hole for the next 3 days. Better known as a baseball tournament. ;) Since I'm organizing concessions, I'll be there tonight and at least 10 hours each Sat. & Sun. No rain in the forecast until late Saturday, so we'll see how that goes. Boys and I are off shopping early this morning, as I can't shop tomorrow. Hoping to fit in plyo legs Sunday morning, but Derek has to be at the field around 8:00, and I have to prepare 10 hours worth of food to take!

Yesterday I managed to get in CTX Step Intervals. Which I had done once before, but for some reason didn't remember doing at all. The intervals are like a mini Imax workout with 3 step/interval combinations. It was pre-Imax 1 from what I can tell.

Since we don't have TV, I have to skip the royal wedding myself, so I will live through everyone else vicariously. :p I just hope this one turns out better.

Regina mine are only 9 and 12 and it's been amazing how fast the time as flown. But, I'm trying to enjoy each age and right now we certainly has some strange and fascinating conversations.

JANIS! My package arrived. Thanks so much. Now I just have to find the time to try them out. The one I'm taking to the conference - maybe I'll do a drawing for it during my session.

Off to do STS for the day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.