Workout Warriors Springing into April

Janis congrats on all your endings! :D

Unfortunately, I have no issues with eating chocolate, it would be quite helpful if I did. ;) So what does your next rotation consist of?

No Daisy for us. I was checking the website last night and her pic is gone, which means so is she. The other dog just didn't fit with what we really want and even though she said he loves rough and tumble play, he's half the size of Sparty and Sparty is VERY over the top when he plays with other dogs. We're going to keep an eye on the website and see if another dog shows up that would fit better. Definitely no 3 dogs for us. Even the added expense of a second one wouldn't be easy. Which is the main reason to not get another dog.

MIC - Maximum Intensity Cardio. It's on the same disk as Rhythmic Step. I'm not fond of the hi-lo on that one, but I like the step, so I usually do the warm-up and then skip to the step section.

Sunny and 60 now. Actually have some windows open a bit and it might approach 80 tomorrow. Believe that when I really see it.

Cathy: You said you won't be getting Daisy. Do you have just one dog now? I have two. Two is much more fun than one!

Janis: Nice job on completing your rotation. So what will your next rotation be? Sounds like you don't have it completely mapped out yet. I am thinking about doing a month of STS meso 1 combined with some Insanity and STS cardio. Not sure yet if I am ready to commit to that 6 days a week.

Today I did high reps, and then 20 minutes on the elliptical.

Kimberly

Yes Kimberly just one dog right now. The main thing that's kept us from getting another one is that it doubles the cost of food, vets, boarding etc. We've been basically living on the same amount of money for the past 4-5 years (no raises), so fitting new expenses in is always a challenge.

Yesterday I decided to do Low Max. I used the premixes and did the Step Combos and then followed that with the blast only premix. I found a long time ago that I prefer to do it that way. Still the same length, but for some reason it feels like it goes faster. :p

This morning I did BM2 Timesaver Cardio and core.

Yesterday was gorgeous here! Actually made it to just over 80, but truthfully was a bit much given that our high temps had been in the 50's prior to that, definitely was a bit too much of a leap, but it was also super windy and low humidity which helped. Today we are back to highs in the 50's. It's funny because usually 50's have the boys in T-shirts and it's already at the high for the day and they are out playing wearing long sleeves. ;)

Crazy day today. Derek to the orthodontist this morning, Nick band in the afternoon and Derek practice tonight. School work around all that.

Hope you all get off to a great start to your week!

Happy Monday Warriors!

My new rotation, which I have mapped out until the end of August - and possibly September too - is one week of 3 circuit/boot camp workouts and running every other day (e.o.d), one week of 2 full body & 2 leg workouts, plus running e.o.d, and one week of 3 day split workouts, with an extra leg workout, and running e.o.d. On most Sundays, I will do yoga.

So - today I did High Step Challenge (thank you Morningstar:D). On Wednesday I will do Lalofit (thank you Morningstar :D) and Saturday (I have to leave bright and early in the morning on Friday for a trip to Sacramento) I will do LIC. Next week it will be Muscle Max, Legs&Glutes, Push/Pull, and Ilaria's Powerstrike. The week following it will be - Pyramids, doing the leg dvd twice. I have worked the rotation so that I do not repeat any dvd again in the rotation with the exception of pyamid legs. September is still up in the air because I don't know what/when Cathe will release her new series, I am also considering buying Patrick Goudeau and Michelle Dozois dvds and it also depends upon my mood by then, I just may be hankering for a round of STS! :eek:

I do have more circuit/boot camp workouts than split workouts, so I also could switch things up if I feel I am losing mass/strength.

It's partly cloudy today. :mad: I really really really want warmth and sunshine.

Off to take Rowan for a hike.

Regina - what kind of spin bike do you have? How do you prevent butt numbness? Did Rainbeau Mars yesterday, thanks. Just when I thought we were getting into the meat of the program, it was over. I said, "What!" Love my Rodney Yee. He really balances forward/backward moves quite well, and knows just what to say and when. His economy of words is much appreciated.:D

Cathy - I have BM2 coming up soon in my rotation, I have NEVER done the dvd and feel a little worried I will be super-klutz! Any tips?

MJ - Worried about you dear.

Kim - I slipped off the high step today and thought of you. I suppose I should wear more grippy shoes. Have you read "Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society"?

Kimberly - It is very nice to hear from you. I am considering purchasing either an elliptical or spin bike, which elliptical do you have? Do you like it, how often do you use it?

Ok - now I really am off to take Rowan for a hike. :D

Ok Janis, here's a few thoughts on BM2:

1) Would be best to preview the cardio sections. You might want to watch the step combos a couple times. This workout was one of the first Cathe's I got so the step combos had a definite learning curve for me. Much more than if I got them now after doing her other step workouts. I can't remember how many of her other step workouts you've tried. I'd say the choreography is harder than Athletic Step, but not her hardest.

2) The step segments of the power circuits are pretty basic and shouldn't give you much trouble. She uses 2 risers for this workout, but I stick to just one. There's a blast in the power circuits where you are standing sideways on the step and jumping off and on it and my legs are too short to comfortably do that on 8". And if you are used to only using 1 set of risers for step, I'd stick with that anyway until you are familiar with the moves.

3) This one is nice from the standpoint of far less equipment than a lot of her workouts. You don't need a whole range of dumbbells for it.

4) If you ever want a really good upper body workout, the Premix: Double Upper Body will do it for you. :p

5) The only thing I really dislike about this workout are the outfits. All that brown with the blue just doesn't do it for me. ;)

Janis it certainly looks like you'll have lots of variety for the next few months. I know you had mentioned doing Low Max. Do you have it already?

Hello Warriors!

I am back from the dead (ok, at least the time warp I was in the last few weeks with work lol)

So as not to bore all of you too much with the details of the last few weeks, I will give the abbreviated bullet point version (can you tell I have been doing powerpoint slides lately? blah!) of the highlights....

1...Open enrollment is now finished! Hooray, its been a brutal couple of months and the health insurance industry is a nightmare (regardless of your political leanings, something needs to be done...not sure the current plan will help much, but even if it did, doesnt help for another few years)
But I survived and now I can get onto the 5 million other things that I should have been doing and the current doings at work...it never ends...:p

2...Survived the board meeting and doing my presentation. I had no idea what to expect and had to answer a bunch of tough questions, but I held my own, disagreed professionally when I needed to do so and explained my reasons why...and in the end they told my boss, who is the Pres/COO of the company, that my presentation, although not the point of the presenation at all, was the best case they have seen for adding staff to my department if they really want the changes that I spoke about to happen in the company. My boss is a really good man and we have a good relationship work wise, but he has been reluctant to give me people, so now that the board said it all on their own, I may make some progress. I already tease him about it at every opportunity. ;)

Oh, I also survived the dress buying (tried on 40 or so dresses just to find one, it was pricier than I would like to have spent for one dinner and still had to have it emergency altered) but I actually felt good in it. Plus it actually can be altered pretty easily so as my sizes shrink so can it for future use. Heres the link...(oh and the model is not me just in case you were delusional for a second and thought so lol :eek:) http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...301&productId=502588404&rr=true&catalogId=301

3...Finally had a very emotional long discussion in my relationship that needed be done. No resolution yet on exactly what we will end up doing which is tough, but at least we talked and are talking instead of me waiting and waiting and having discussions over and over in my own head. So at least it is making me feel a bit less stressed and able to feel like I am standing stronger in myself to get ready for whatever comes, good or not so good. And I dont have the constant knot in my stomach from it all.

4...Despite the stress of the last few weeks, I have actually managed to workout. I talked myself into starting most days as I knew I had to do it, for stress and tension relief if nothing else. Now I am starting to do it without fighting again. Even managed a few weight workouts too. There is just enough time to get in a STS rotation, undulating, I think before summer starts proper at the 4th of july, so I am going to give it a whirl starting tomorrow.

5...Last but not least...despite my being able to workout the last few weeks, my running really fell by the wayside, so last week I had reconciled myself to the fact that I would not be running my 5k yesterday because I just wasnt prepared mentally or physically. However, the little voice inside kept at me with the idea that I just needed to go do it anyway. Something to push myself through, just for me that had nothing to do with work or relationships. What was the worst that could happen, I would have to walk? Saturday I talked myself into going to at least pick up the pre-race packet and then I could decide what I wanted to do. So at 5:45 Sunday morning I was on the trolley going over the beach where the starting line was and then at 7 the 2000+ plus women doing the half-marathon started and then at 7:15 me and the other 2500+ women doing the 5k started. Somehow, someway, I actually did it! I ran all the way straight to the 1.5 mile water stop/turn around point, then walked for 2 min then ran the rest of the race. My time was 35 min even. Given that it was my first race with inadequate prep, my short stint of walking and the fact that you spent the first mile dodging slower runners and trying not to run over the walkers on the course (they were mixed with the runners, instead of having their own start time) which slowed the first mile or so considerably, it is a pretty good time for me. The main point is that I actually did it, for me, despite everything else and didnt even tell anyone that I did it until I showed them the medal. :D Even now, there are only a handful of people IRL that know I did it and now all of you do. http://www.irongirl.com/Events/Clearwater.htm#axzz1JGQ4DbVn

Also, bought a few things for the house, like new bed linens, towels, etc.. some simple stuff just to make things a little different and add some newness to things for myself.

So, in short, I am finding my way and trying to pull myself back from the abyss I had allowed to be created one day at a time. Hopefully will get in some days off as well in the next couple of months. Anyway, thanks for the support and concern along the way, even if I have been silent. I appreciate it. :)

It is good to see everyone doing well with workouts, lack of sugar, crazy dogs, crazy weather, crazy kids....I am very impressed :D

Alright, need to eat something and get my workout rotation planned for the rest of the week. Oh by the way, I am going to run another 5k in 5 weeks, going to try to prepare fully this time and see how I do and if I can get this running thing to really stick. Plus it is a smaller one that actually starts 2 blocks from my house. :cool:

Catch up again tomorrow. Good night.

MJ - I am so proud of you for doing that 5K Saturday!!!!! I will be keeping you in mind the next time I'm not feeling like doing something. Huge HIGH FIVE to you! :D:D:D

So very glad to hear that you are through all that stuff at work - and the presentation! You go girl. ;) Sounds like you have been very busy getting your life in order and doing more for you. Buying new things for the house is always fun. Are you jumping on the wagon and getting Cathe's new series? Looking forward to hearing about your training and your next 5K.

I did CTX Kick Box this morning. Did everything but biceps. Still very eh about the ab workout in these, but this one had a good plank series in it.

Have to run for now. I'll be back later to answer your question about Low Max Janis.

Last edited:
Low Max - Have you ever done IMAX 3? To me there are definitely similarities between the two workouts, as far as the moves go. IMAX 3 is just far more intense.

The blasts in LM are pretty long - the blast premix is 23 minutes and that works out to a tad over 3 minutes per blast. Though some are shorter and some longer. And in the last blast, Cathe miscounts and does 4 extra on one side. 20 instead of 16. ;)

This was also one of my early Cathe step workouts and the only combo I had an issue with was #3, and I actually had the problem when she was breaking it down and not with the finished combo because the move is altered just enough once you've learned it all that it just clicked better with me. I've had that happen other times, too. Watching it first wouldn't hurt, but you know I'm really bad about previewing things and it's long, so I doubt I did that before I did it.

This is also another where she uses an 8" step instead of just 6". But, because it's all low impact, I do sometimes do it at 8" as my legs can deal with the blast moves.

Hi Warriors!

MJ - What a great post! You are an amazing woman. I admire your fortitude and your persistence in the face of challenges. Congratulations on your first 5k, and what an event for your first...THE Athleta half marathon. OH MY! So many women, so much inspiration! Were you in tears??? On another note, was the swag super excellent? Will you wear the shirt, for example? What a fantastic way to spend a Sunday. Did you experience a feeling of renewal?
Your dress from Dillard's, just gorgeous!! I love the asymmetrical tiering at the torso, so flattering. I bet you looked stunning...especially with your ivory skin and wavy red curls. Yowza girl! Glad you had THE TALK with your significant other. As you said - now you are ready for whatever comes - good or not so good. There is relief in that. Mighty (((hugs))) to you, dear, and ^^^high fives^^^ too.

Cathy - thanks for the tips on Low Max. Have not done Imax3, but it is in the rotation too. *Gulp* Hey, do you know anyone in your circle who might like and enjoy a Jillian Michaels dvd? CTX kickbox looks like fun despite the not so exciting ab section.

Regina - How is your work week going? What workouts did you do this weekend? Anything olympic?

Kim - I'm almost done with this book, the one mentioned above - I keep thinking you'd find it amusing. How is your week off from STS?

Kimberly - What are you up to this week?

As for me - Ran on the dreadmill this morning, 28 minutes, which was after a 5 minute warm up walk, for a total of 3 miles. I'm getting there, by golly. Then I came inside and did the dreaded (dread seems to be a theme for me today....hmmmm) level 3 of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Why is this dvd suppose to be tough? So bloody easy. Boring even. On the upside, I can now say I have done it. I've done it.

Tomorrow I am down in Napa with Rowan visiting one of his brothers. Fun stuff watching poodles play together. Babies are more adorable, but not much else compares. :D Anyway, I'll do Lalofit before I go.

Hasta!
:D

Last edited:
Janis I've just started putting together my session for the conference which is titled: Fitting Fitness Into Your Life. I'm sure I could give it away at that. Today I just made some notes, later this week, I need to start tracking down websites and more info.

Yes, Jillian's dumb DVD. :p The conference is May 6-7 and you know I'm not done with my challenge until the end of the month. ;) Though I'm not having any problems doing it.

I do wish I could have convince Nick to use a different "name".

Hello Warriors,

MJ- I am glad that you are hanging in there with all that is going in your life. Congrats on your fortitude to run and finish the 5K race.

Janis – I have a Tsunami Pro spin bike and a Proform spin bike. I also have my racing bike that I use on a trainer. I think that my butt is just use to it but (no pun intended) one of the first things that I do is buy another seat for my bikes. I buy one that I find most comfortable. Congratulations of all of your completions. What insights did you gain from your 12-week no sugar challenge?

Cathy- I use to do BM2 a lot but have not done it in quite a while. I like the step in BM2. Do you only do Cathe workouts? Glad you are looking forward to Meso three. It put me to sleep. Who are you giving the conference for- Fitting Fitness Into Your Life?

The month of April, I have been doing a Tracie Long rotation. I am doing every single workout that she did from the Anna Benson era, TLP, TLT, focus and longevity workouts.

So many changes are going on a work. I am gearing up for exams, reading papers and the end of the semester.

Tonight was 2 hours of yard work.

Janis: We bought a used elliptical from Play it Again Sports. I think it's a Trimline. It appears to have never been used. I really like it. I like BodyMax 2, Scramled Eggs premix is my favorite.

Littlefiretop: Love the dress!!

I'm planning on treadmilling and maybe another total body workout this week. Probably STS total body.

Is everyone excited about Cathe's new DVD's?

Kimberly

Hi Everyone,

I did Lalofit this morning, it was pretty easy. I certainly wasn't as sweaty and as winded as Lalo, not sure why that is. When I was done, I wondered if I should have done it as an 'add on' workout, instead of a stand-alone, like maybe after running.

Which reminds me, I think I may need to do vigorous cardio everyday to get my calorie burn up. The scale is just not budging.

Anyway, I was suppose to go down to Napa for a littermate playdate with Rowan and his brother, but I received a late night email from the other dog owner canceling. Her dog was attacked yesterday by a pit bull at a local dog park. Simply horrible. Pit bulls do not belong at dog parks. Dog parks are for dog-dog play, not dog-dog aggression. The poodle had some punctures and lacerations, and swelling from soft tissue damage, but thankfully he didn't need surgery.

Regina - lessons learned from my no-sugar challenge: sugar is a poison to me. It tastes good on the tongue, but once it hits my blood stream, even sublingually, I feel it and I do not respond well. I get the moody blues, experience an energy crash, have fuzzy logic or "white noise" and generally feel crappy. Chocolate gives me a headache. I've known for what seems like ever that I have this response to sugar, yet I seem to need to learn the lesson over and over and over again. Thanks for the info about bikes. I'll check yours out. I wonder what Cathe will use for the dvd. Good luck with reading term papers, grading finals, etc..

Kimberly - Thank you for the info about your elliptical. I am seriously considering buying another piece of equipment, but it's funny -I have a treadmill, I have a rowing machine (which I don't really use), and also a cheap-o upright stationary bike, (which I don't use either), so maybe I should reconsider my plan altogether:D! Did you stick with Atkins? How is that going? I'm excited by Cathe's new dvds, although I still have not done Step Moves or Intensity! One title she mentioned today was "Athletic Training."I wonder what else she has in store for us! Is it beginning to warm up where you live?

Cathy - I'll send your reward dvd, and the one(s) you can give away, to you before your trip in May, but after your no-sugar challenge is up. :D:D

MJ - It's Wednesday. Hump Day. How is your week progressing?

Waving hello to everyone else. Feel free to chime in at anytime!

:D:D

Last edited:
Sure hope this works. I just got done reading stuff and got kicked out. Still acting slow.

This morning I did Hiit Pyramid and really thought I did quite well with it. Not sure what I'll do in the morning. I'm up more than 1/2 an hour past my bedtime of 9:00 and everyone else is already in bed. Except Sparty who is still out playing in the dark.

Janis that's terrible about the poodle being attacked. :( Aggressive dogs of any breed really don't belong in dog parks. I hope he heals quickly.

Regina the conference is La Leche League of Michigan. The last 4 years (I think that's right) I've done a nutrition session, so I'm really looking forward to a switch this year. A fair number of leaders have taken up running and have started doing 1/2 marathons and even a couple marathons, but a lot of leaders/members who have little ones have a hard time figuring out how to fit exercise into their lives. Most of the leaders who exercise regularly have kids school age and older.

Will see how much I sleep through Meso 3. Nick actually really liked that one, and would literally lay down during the rest periods. He really doesn't like the fact that Meso 1, which he's doing again now, has what he considers no rest at all. I am doing plyo legs and squat rack legs, so we'll see how that goes.

Need to get to bed, but I'm not feeling terribly tired yet. Not a good thing when DH will be up again early. I think I'll sleep on the couch, since he's not feeling good and he's already in bed. Still have to convince Sparty to come in. He's a party late, sleep in kind of guy. ;)

Cathy- when I did Meso three I too did both squat rack legs and plyo legs. I used the plyo leg routine as a cardio workout. MY DH also liked meso three.

Kimberly- I am not really excited about Cathe's new releases. I think that the new series will be good. It is just that I have so many workouts to keep me occupied that I feel 'when they come , they come.' You do Atkins? I too stick to a modified Atkins approach to my daily intake. I also make sure to vary my caloric intake throughout the week. Low Carbohydrate intake seems to work well for me.

Janis- wow - you have alot of fitness equipment. Do you need more? Good insights post about your no sugar challenge I am starting the no sugar challenge in May.

I am off today because the grad students have a study day. We are having some work done in one of the bathrooms so it is so noisy in here. Well I guess that is so much for a peaceful quiet day at home!

Have A Great Day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.