What was your first workout tape?

froggie

Hello. I am just wondering what everyone's first workout tape was. Mine was the first Firm tape and Jane Fonda. I also loved Callanestics. It is funny to see the hair, makeup and leotards with leg warmers look in the 80s videos. I also had the real early Buns of Steel tapes. I can't imagine using them now after doing Cathe. Froggie:)

My very first one had to be Jane Fonda, then Kathy Smith, Karen Voight, The Firm and finally Cathe....she is the best IMO!!!!...:)...Carole

Jane Fonda Challenge. I still do that tape from time to time when I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. Even though I modify many of the moves to make them a bit safer it still whips my butt!

I'm pretty sure my very first one was a Jane Fonda one. I also had early Kathy Smith and early Denise Austin, and I remember a Joannie Greggains tape in there somewhere. Actually, before I had a VCR and started buying tapes, I remember working out (if you can picture this!!) to a Joannie Greggains CASSETTE, with a book next to me demonstrating the moves!! LOL!! And before that, I was doing the latest aerobic craze - Jackie Sorensen - in clubs! Anyone remember that?? It was typical jumping around mid-80's aerobics! Before that, I ran. The first time I ever picked up "real" weights was when I discovered the Firm. Volume I with Susan Harris, which is now renamed something else. I didn't discover Cathe until last July!! It's amazing to think of the journey.

Carol
:)

We're certainly going to show our age with this topic. A Jane Fonda aerobic tape. You worked your triceps by pretending you were "pulling weeds". Sure Jane, I'm sure you're working in the yard every morning.

My second workout was also a Fonda cardio workout with Peggy Lipton. Workout Challenge? Finally Fonda came out with a weight training video. I still have that one as it's a pretty solid total body workout for a beginner, recovery or whenever you need a break. Or maybe I just like Fonda's unitards - neon pink in one, & leopard print in the second workout. It's not the Bruce Jenner look alike.

I think Firm Volume II is what finally hooked me on video workouts. It worked. I must have done that tape 3 times a week for months, & finally thought I should shake things up & buy Volume I. I alternated them for several years or until I bought Volume IV. It still was working too. I skipped Volume III for some reason (eventually bought it). FYI, those were all at $50 bucks a pop .:eek:

Debra

Debra, I remember that weed pulling thing!!! LOL!! And yes, I bought all the original Firms for $50 a pop as well!! But, they were SO worth it at the time!!

Carol
:)

Jane Fonda's Complete Workout and Crunch's Fatblaster got me started. And yes, I still have them both. Just to remember how far I've come and how far I still need to go!:7

If we're talking video, it was one of Cher's workouts (the low impact and toning one). But I actually started working out to records (remember those? vinyl...round...black..hole in the center:+ ). I think the first one I tried was Jane Fonda (lots of lying pelvic tilts), then I got a Joannie Griegans (sp) one and a Bess Motta one.

Jane Fonda step aerobics tape, buns of steel step and denise Austin, Cathe Smith. Whenever I watch these tapes now they just make me laugh!!

After doing (and taping) Charlene Prickett's "It Figures" show for about 3 years I ordered her "Bench Mark" step video and loved it (haven't dusted that one off in years!). I ended up with most of her collection and a real hodge podge of videos from where ever I could find them. Later I got a computer, found Video Fitness and which led me to this wonderful site and I have never looked back!:)

Take Care
Laurie

this time around.. i started with tamilee's abs of steel.. however way back when i used to workout i did have some jane fonda and i think even kathy smith....

I had Jane Fonda's New workout Tape. I actually started with, other than television,a Kathy Smith record and an aerobic record along with Kenneth Cooper's book which had me jumping rope. I love Dvd's:
Diane Sue

My first was a record, but I can't remember who it was. I do know now most of it was done quite wrong!

After that my first actual video was Joyce Vedral. Ditto.

Then Kathy Smith.

Then (thank heaven) Cathe.

I use a variety of instructors now to suit my mood/needs but Cathe is ALWAYS the core of my rotation, & usually most or all of it!

Oh my.....Carol.....I had those Joannies Greggains cassettes too.....all I can remember of her is on her TV show....the face exercises....cracks me up every time...:)...Carole

Cher's step workout with Keli Roberts. Before that, I was doing Margaret Richard and Charlene Prickett off the tv set for years.

My very first workout tape was:

The Teen Workout with Tamilee Webb - but it was too choreographed for me at the time - I bet I could breeze through that baby now!;-) Gee I miss my purple and white striped leg warmers with the pom pom at the top! ;(

The next two were:

Denise Austin Hit the Spot Abs
Cindy Crawford "Shape your Body"

Then............several others!

Kathryn-
I remember the Jane Fonda albums! Wow! What a memory jolt. That was before the invention of the VCR. I completely forgot about those. I watched my roommate doing Jane Fonda, but couldn't figure out how she knew what to do. Funny to think about that now in the age of Cathe's high-tech DVDs!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.