What is everyone doing in terms of Disney passes?

Rookwood

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get any and, if so, what kind. I have not been to Disney since I was a toddler, and have been somewhat confused by the small amount of research I've done online so far.

I'll be traveling solo (no kids) so I'm hoping to hear what others in my situation are planning on doing. Would it be weird to just hang around the hotel during the "down" times and not go to any of the theme parks?

Oh - and does anyone know if we have to buy Epcot passes in order to be able to attend the fireworks/dessert party there on the last night? I really don't know how any of this works...

Would love for any Disney veterans to weigh-in here!

Passes

The passes can be confusing at best. Do you have a specific question about a certain type of pass you're considering?

The pool area at Coronado is certainly great to hang around if not going to a park. There is also the Downtown Disney shopping/dining area that is free to roam, as well as pay-per-activity options like mini-golf close by.

I don't know if this is the case with this event, but you usually have to have park admission to Epcot for in-park dining activities like the dessert party.

Hope this helps!

Hi! I am only planning on going to the park one day. I plan to hang at the pool and around the resort. It is HOT and HUMID in Florida in July, not the best time of year to enjoy Disney. There are (if I remember correctly) three pools at this resort. The only reason I am going to the park is my son who is 4 will be with me and there is no way we could be at Disney and not go the park ;-) but if I was going by myself I would definitely hang at the pool. Hope this helps
Tracy

Thank you both for your replies. LthePoet, if you see this post, could you tell me if this is the Downtown Disney area that has free admission? I hope so, because that certainly opens up some options in terms of dining!

So, assuming that we do need to buy Epcot park passes to go to the fireworks event, then one of those special "after 4pm" passes would presumably be my best bet (if I do in fact decide that I don't want to do much else at Epcot)?

THARTMAN, thank you for the reminder on the weather -- I hadn't really given much thought to what it would be like to be wandering around on concrete in the heat and humidity. Ugh. Pool-lounging is starting to sound better and better.

Downtown Disney is free. There are a lot of stores! I really like downtown disney. Epcot is my least favorite park. The different countries are cool and the Nemo ride is fun. But I prefer animal and magic kingdoms. I think the after 4 would be fine.
Tracy

I am blanking on the restaurants that are there. Rainforest cafe is the only one I can think of now:)

Last edited:
Passes etc.

Rookwood - Yes, that was the Downtown Disney I was referring to. I especially like the Wolfgang Puck restaurants. There is bus transportation from the hotel to Downtown Disney. You can also take another bus from Downtown Disney to any other Disney resort and eat at their restaurants. Going by bus can take awhile, but it opens up options if you don't have a car.

I personally have an annual pass because I go to WDW at least twice a year (I was last there in March and plan to go again in October), but if you're looking to go to Epcot (which is actually my favorite park) just for the dinner/dessert party/fireworks, then the after 4pm pass is definitely the best idea.

-Lisa

I would not recommend buying passes or planning to go to parks while the RT is going on....Cathe keeps you too busy! Save your money and park passes for before Friday afternoon or after Sunday noon.

Downtown disney and the Boardwalk area are FREE!! and have lots of shops, restaurants, and night life (and in the case of the Boardwalk, lots of street entertainers as well). All the Disney pools are fabulous. There is lots to do to keep little guys (and big guys!) happy for free.

Disney also has several (3?) wonderful golf courses and putt-putt, as well as horse-back riding (these will cost ya, but still less that a park ticket for the day)

Everything is accessible by (free) Disney transportation (usually busses-very nice ones) so you DO NOT NEED TO RENT A CAR! (again, save some money)

Hope this helps. Can't wait to meet everybody!

Laura

Passes

Laura - I agree - I have never been on a RT, but I can't imagine going back and forth to the parks those days. I'm planning on doing some park time on Sunday and Monday (although I shudder to think how crowded July 4th is going to be), but again, I already have a pass, so for me it is just getting more out of money already spent. ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.