Wasp sting and joint pain?

Melclear

Cathlete
Has anyone else ever heard of joint pain as a reaction to being stung by a wasp?

I was laying flagstones this morning, and while raking gravel/sand, hit a nest with my rake. I got stung a few times on the calf (can't tell if it was 2 or 3 stings). It turned red and swelled up a bit, but with some ammonia and cortisone cream, a few minutes later, I couldn't even find where I had been stung. But right away, my hands started aching, deep inside the bones. I called my walk-in clinic, and the nurse I spoke with said that joint pain is a fairly common allergic reaction, and the swelling of the joints can happen anywhere in the body, not necessarily near the sting.

I'm doing everything she said to do (antihistamine and ibuprofen) but my hands are so achy, I can't use them, not even to open a door (let alone finishing my patio). I have never experienced anything like this, so I was wondering if anyone else had.

Mel

Ouch!:( Hope it gets better for you soon.

I didn't have this reaction to a wasp sting, but rather as a side effect of taking Augmentin (antibiotic). The doc said that my body metabolized it differently and that it left crystalized by-products in my joints (especially in the hands) but that my body would eventually excrete it. It hurt like heck for a few days!!:eek: I couldn't even put my shoes on b/c I couldn't bend my fingers without extreme pain. So, I know what you are going thru, but if it's the same type of thing I had, it should pass in a few days. It sure makes you appreciate the pain-free limberness of the body when you are back to normal.

Angie

No, but I've heard of beestings used as a relief for arthritis pain (beekeepers who had arthritis found this out accidentally).

Angie, a few days to get better? Yikes! I was hoping I would be back to myself by morning. At least this is my rest week between mesocycles, so I don't have to worry about not being able to hold my STS weights (I could barely pick up a gallon of milk!). On the other hand, finishing my patio during my rest week may not happen. But thanks for the support.

Kathryn, do you know any more about how bee stings help with arthritis? When I spoke with the nurse, she suggested that the joint pain is akin to arthritis, so I can't figure out how the venom would soothe the symptoms (rather than bring them on). But leaving my own case aside, I think it's really cool that natural bee venom can help ease joint pain! I always appreciate natural remedies.

Mel

I get that way from Mosquito Bites. In fact right now my right knee is very swollen and killing me from bites I got today. Take some benedryl and use compresses on the sting, that will help take down th e swelling which is what is causing the pain and or stiffness in the joint. At least this is what works for me. You may want to try some heat on your hands, either soaking them in a wam epsom salt bath or a heating pad.

If I get stung, I generally get very stiff and achy in my ankles and hands as well. I seem to be highly reactive to things. The good thing is I very rarely get sick with colds as my body takes care of the bugs super fast.

I take natural remedies like Bromelein and Quercetin to keep the swelling at bay. Usually within 48 the pain and swelling is gone. To be honest with you exercise does help get rid of the toxins,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.