Travel & working out

hiho322

Cathlete
I wasn't sure where to post this on the forum, so chose this, hoping it's the right place.

Just got back from an 8 day Caribbean vacation, and I have to say that even though I knew I'd be swimming and snorkeling and doing a fair amount of walking, I always like to do at least some working out so I don't feel like a big fat slug! Considering all the great food and wine choices I knew I'd be facing, I decided to bring my laptop and a bunch of Cathe downloads, including: Travel Fit, Hiit Pyramid, a few of the add-on ab/core workouts, and Intensity (which I modified by only doing the warm-up and then the last 30 minutes).

Equipment I brought: stability ball and hand pump (great extra exercise for the arm!), Cathe mat, workout gloves, workout shoes, and stretch band. When I did the warm-up for Intensity, I used the mat to simulate where the step box would be, but that was really for the visual, and not actually necessary.

When packing my clothes, I used those space-saving bags that roll all the air out, and I can't tell you how much space that saves for other things! If you travel on Jet Blue, they don't even charge for the 1st checked bag, so that helps, too.

I felt so good throughout my vacation because I started almost each day with at least 1/2 hour of exercise. It really did make a difference. And when I came home, I simply picked up where I left off.

Hope this helps anyone who's wondering how to pull this off while on vacation.

- Annie

Helpful!!

Thanks Annie! We leave for the Carribean in 2 weeks and was wondering how to keep up a little!! Now I know!
Kristy.

So happy to help, Kristy! It was an experiment that paid off for us ;-) It's impossible for me to feel comfortable in my body on a beach, trying to suck in my stomach all the time. Much better to do a little working out here and there! Enjoy and post after your vacay and tell us how it went for you.

Annie

Thank you for posting this. I will probably be doing some traveling in the fall and winter, and have just recently started thinking about what I will do about keeping up my exercise routine. I'd already made a mental note about workouts that could be done without equipment, such as Travel Max, MMA Fusion, and HIIT Double Wave Pyramid, but had forgotten that Intensity has that low-impact HIIT segment that I could also use.

I also suggest u try bodyrock.tv for short intense workout routines using only body weight and minimal equipment (timer, jump rope).
Carmen

Hi Annie,

I am going on a quick, 3-day cruise in 5 weeks. I have a portable DVD player and would love to bring some of my Cathe/Turbo Fire workouts on the cruise, but it got me to thinking: how can you possibly do the workouts in the small cruise staterooms? Or did you do the workouts in the gym?

I wasn't sure where to post this on the forum, so chose this, hoping it's the right place.

Just got back from an 8 day Caribbean vacation, and I have to say that even though I knew I'd be swimming and snorkeling and doing a fair amount of walking, I always like to do at least some working out so I don't feel like a big fat slug! Considering all the great food and wine choices I knew I'd be facing, I decided to bring my laptop and a bunch of Cathe downloads, including: Travel Fit, Hiit Pyramid, a few of the add-on ab/core workouts, and Intensity (which I modified by only doing the warm-up and then the last 30 minutes).

Equipment I brought: stability ball and hand pump (great extra exercise for the arm!), Cathe mat, workout gloves, workout shoes, and stretch band. When I did the warm-up for Intensity, I used the mat to simulate where the step box would be, but that was really for the visual, and not actually necessary.

When packing my clothes, I used those space-saving bags that roll all the air out, and I can't tell you how much space that saves for other things! If you travel on Jet Blue, they don't even charge for the 1st checked bag, so that helps, too.

I felt so good throughout my vacation because I started almost each day with at least 1/2 hour of exercise. It really did make a difference. And when I came home, I simply picked up where I left off.

Hope this helps anyone who's wondering how to pull this off while on vacation.

- Annie

Oh, you're going on a cruise! Never having been on one, I can only imagine how small the staterooms are. I was staying at a hotel on my vacation, so my situation was quite different. And no, I didn't go to a gym. What I would suggest is that you either go to the gym on the cruiseship if they have one, or perhaps bring a stability ball and at least do crunches on it. There's obviously no space for you to be bouncing around in that room.

any ideas for when you can't bring dvds?

i can bring the firewalkers, but nothing else. what would be good to do? any routines i can write down would be great. :)

Jumpy, check out my post at the top of the page. I mentioned a few workouts you could bring along that use little or no equipment.

Annie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.