suggestions for a reliable heart rate monitor?

ella

Cathlete
i've been looking around on amazon for one and reading all the reviews. it looks like most heart rate monitors are unstable/inaccurate-- sometimes not giving a reading at all.

i'm hoping to find one that gives accurate read outs of heart rate and maybe a distance reading. do you have one you trust?

I would trust pretty much anything made by Polar - they made the very first HRMs way back in the day. I have a Polar F11 that has always worked well for me. If you want distance/speed data, you'll want one of their running-specific HRMs with a footpod that attaches to your shoe. My Team In Training coach had one of these and he liked it a lot - but he does have to calibrate the footpod every time he runs in a different pair of shoes.

Garmin makes a GPS / HRM combo which is more accurate in terms of speed and distance, but their HRM is not as good as Polar's. My DH emailed Garmin to ask them for the specs on their HRM and the guy who emailed back said it was "pretty accurate". ummmm.... okay. That's helpful. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.