Suggestion for Cathe Live filming

cokonkel

Cathlete
I've been enjoying Cathe Live lately but I wanted to point out something that could be improved with the filming of the workouts. I was doing the Imax Live step workout this morning and found the cameraman was constantly panning away from Cathe and filming the other exercisers. This has been an ongoing problem for me with other workouts but it was especially aggravating when I was trying to learn a new step routine. I'm not particularly good at step as it is so when I'm trying to learn the routine I MUST have Cathe front and center the entire time. Every time the cameraman panned to the background exercisers they were messing up or struggling themselves. Often they weren't doing the right move or pausing themselves as they struggled to figure out the next move Cathe was introducing. It tripped me up multiple times during this workout and was really frustrating.

I'd really like the cameramen to stay on Cathe during the filming of all the Live workouts, but I can't stress how important it is when we're trying to learn choreography! :) Thanks!! <3

Hi cokonkel, We actually do very little panning in Cathe Live, but we do use three different cameras and we do switch cameras showing different views and people. However, this is not something we plan on changing as the purpose of Cathe Live is to show real people doing unrehearsed fitness routines. Their successes and struggles are an important part of what we're trying to show. We realize that showing only a single front shot of Cathe might be easier to follow, but you would lose a lot of what makes Cathe Live special. Plus, there would be no reason to have a class as we would only need to film Cathe. In Cathe Live we try to strike a balance between showing Cathe and showing the participants. Since we don't know what Cathe is going to do next and because of the technical limitations of a live performance, it's nearly impossible to switch cameras when we would like to. We have to save this kind of precision for our DVD videos where we can spend time in the editing room precisely selecting each shot. I hope this explains things?

I like having the exercisers in the background as that does make the workout fun. However, I can't tell you how frustrating it is trying to learn choreography when the camera pans away from Cathe and onto background exercisers that are struggling, stopping and doing the wrong move just as much as I am. I really need to see Cathe at all times. It's not necessary to just film Cathe alone to have that effect, just keep the camera on her and let us see all the other folks in the background. I almost tripped off my step a couple of times in the Imax Live workout today because the camera transitioned to the backgrounders as Cathe was transitioning to a new exercise. I am loving Cathe Live, but this does make it difficult and at times frustrating. JMHO. :)

When doing a step routine I agree with Cokonkel. I’ve done the same workout and had the same issues. If we know the move and we’re doing Reps, go ahead and pan out but when we’re learning the move....stay on Cathe. This is how
accidents happen. One of the benefits of Cathe Live is to get Cathes instruction. When Cathe is talking/showing proper form but the camera is on someone else....? It can be very frustrating.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.