STS mixed with newer DVDs

Diver782

Hi all,
Has anyone seen a 3- month STS rotation that incorporates some of Cathe's newer, fabulous workouts (i.e., S&S, ICE, RWH, X-train...). I love these workouts but am not confident in my ability to properly mix them in with STS and still ensure I give my muscles the rest needed to get the most out of the STS program.

Yes, I have all of those guides. They're terrific, and the workouts are great, but I'm looking for the original STS rotation but with workouts from those newer DVDs mixed in, rather than the DVDs that were available at the time.

Great question, Diver782. I too am thinking of doing STS again - all 36 disks in order for a 3 month rotation and would need to chose workouts for the other days of the week I'm not doing STS. Cathe has not published (as far as I know) a rotation that specifically does this with recent DVDs - the last time she did so was in Jan. 2010, I believe. But I think we could easily design our own rotations using the same sure-fire format Cathe has advocated. Cathe scheduled STS on Mon., Wed. and Fri. and cardio on Tues., Thurs. and Sat. with Sunday set aside for walks, yoga, etc. For the 3 cardio days per week she scheduled in 1 high impact hiit workout, 1 low impact hiit workout and 1 steady state cardio. With the series that you mentioned, I would select from the following workouts for your Tues., Thurs. and Sat. workouts:

Low Impact Hiit days:
Ripped with Hiit - Low Impact Hiit
XTrain - All Out Low Impact Hiit

Steady State days:
ICE - Rock'm Sock'm Kickbox
XTrain - Hardstrikes

High Impact Hiit days:
Strong and Sweaty - Cardio Slam
XTrain - Tabatacise
Ripped with Hiit - Plyo Hiit

So, in other words, you don't need or want to do any other weight training for the 3 months except your STS workouts. Just plan your cardio workouts to do on the days in between STS, and ensure you mix up the cardio. I am planning to do low impact hiit every Tues., steady state every Thursday and high impact hiit every Sat. I am also planning on tagging on a core/ab training bonus after each of the hiit workouts (Tuesdays and Saturdays in my case). All 4 series you mentioned have bonus ab routines to rotate through, doing 2 of these workouts per week.

But, if you want a one month STS sampler mixed with a newer series, there is a Ripped with Hiit rotation on page 13 of the User Guide, as Firelight mentioned:
https://cathe.com/Ripped-with-HiiT-Users-Guide.pdf

Good luck and hope you have fun. STS is sure to bring you great results!

This is great - very kind of you to provide such a thorough response! Can't wait to get started... it's been just under a year since I last did the STS rotation, but it should be perfect to keep me on track as we enter the holidays. Thanks again!!

Great question, Diver782. I too am thinking of doing STS again - all 36 disks in order for a 3 month rotation and would need to chose workouts for the other days of the week I'm not doing STS. Cathe has not published (as far as I know) a rotation that specifically does this with recent DVDs - the last time she did so was in Jan. 2010, I believe. But I think we could easily design our own rotations using the same sure-fire format Cathe has advocated. Cathe scheduled STS on Mon., Wed. and Fri. and cardio on Tues., Thurs. and Sat. with Sunday set aside for walks, yoga, etc. For the 3 cardio days per week she scheduled in 1 high impact hiit workout, 1 low impact hiit workout and 1 steady state cardio. With the series that you mentioned, I would select from the following workouts for your Tues., Thurs. and Sat. workouts:

Low Impact Hiit days:

Steady State days:
XTrain - Hardstrikes

High Impact Hiit days:
XTrain - Tabatacise

So, in other words, you don't need or want to do any other weight training for the 3 months except your STS workouts. Just plan your cardio workouts to do on the days in between STS, and ensure you mix up the cardio. I am planning to do low impact hiit every Tues., steady state every Thursday and high impact hiit every Sat. I am also planning on tagging on a core/ab training bonus after each of the hiit workouts (Tuesdays and Saturdays in my case). All 4 series you mentioned have bonus ab routines to rotate through, doing 2 of these workouts per week.

But, if you want a one month STS sampler mixed with a newer series, there is a Ripped with Hiit rotation on page 13 of the User Guide, as Firelight mentioned:

Thanks for a great layout; I hope you post this rotation in workout manager; I'll download it and follow it.

I hope you post this rotation in workout manager

Done! I have designed a 3 1/2 month STS + Newer Cardio rotation and am trying to get it posted in the workout manager (this is my 1st time and am running into difficulties seeing it after I entered all the workouts). Hopefully it will be up soon and you can download it.
The rotation I put together gives you all 36 STS workouts in sequence so you cover all 3 mesocycles and build awesome muscular endurance, definition and strength. You will do the STS workouts on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I put in an active recovery week between each mesocycle. You will also build great cardio fitness, endurance and fat burning through 3 cardio workouts/week. Low impact hiit training is on Tuesdays, steady state cardio on Thursdays and high impact hiit training is scheduled each Saturday. Steady state cardio rotates between kickboxing, spin and step workouts. Core/ab training is fit in twice per week on your cardio days. Cardio workouts have been carefully selected so that they do not negatively impact building muscle. Sundays are for yoga/stretching or a day of well-earned rest.

Low Impact Hiit days:

Steady State days:
XTrain - Hardstrikes

High Impact Hiit days:
XTrain - Tabatacise

This is excellent information. I'm trying to find out if I have access to the STS user guide as a streaming member. I'm looking for a good workout rotation and everything is pointing me to STS (it looks scary! lol)

Wow this is great! I was just working on something similar, but yours is much better Jane! The version I was working on is an undulating rotation of STS that incorporates the newer DVDs. I'm incorporating what you put together into mine. So for example:

Week 1:
Mon - Meso 1 Disk 1 - Chest, shoulders, bi's
Tue - low impact HIIT
Wed - Meso 3, week 1, plyo legs or Meso 3, week 1, squat rack
Thursday - steady state cardio or cardio/core (like Horizontal conditioning or Bob Harper Ripped Core Workout)
Friday - Meso 1, week 1, back and tri's
Saturday - high impact HIIT
Sun - gentle yoga/stretching

Week 2:
Mon - Meso 2, week 1, Chest, shoulders, tri's
Tues - low impact HIIT
Wed - Meso 1, week 1, legs
Thur - steady state cardio or cardio/core (like Horizontal conditioning or Bob Harper Ripped Core Workout)
Fri - Meso 2, week 1, back and bi's
Sat - high impact HIIT
Sun - gentle yoga/stretch

And so on...

I was trying to figure out how to get a metabolic total body into the rotation but haven't found a solution to that one yet, lol.

Thank you, Ginny. Love your idea of doing STS in an undulating fashion.

I am planning on doing one or two metabolic total body workouts during active recovery week. Yes, I too hate to go too long without fitting one of those fun, calorie crushers in!

Done! I have designed a 3 1/2 month STS + Newer Cardio rotation and am trying to get it posted in the workout manager (this is my 1st time and am running into difficulties seeing it after I entered all the workouts). Hopefully it will be up soon and you can download it.
The rotation I put together gives you all 36 STS workouts in sequence so you cover all 3 mesocycles and build awesome muscular endurance, definition and strength. You will do the STS workouts on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I put in an active recovery week between each mesocycle. You will also build great cardio fitness, endurance and fat burning through 3 cardio workouts/week. Low impact hiit training is on Tuesdays, steady state cardio on Thursdays and high impact hiit training is scheduled each Saturday. Steady state cardio rotates between kickboxing, spin and step workouts. Core/ab training is fit in twice per week on your cardio days. Cardio workouts have been carefully selected so that they do not negatively impact building muscle. Sundays are for yoga/stretching or a day of well-earned rest.

Jane, thank you for posting newer cardio/STS rotation. Just finished week 1. Have lost 2 pounds and feel empowered!

Awww, thanks, Katie Lee. So glad to hear you are feeling great and getting results! Getting through those 100+ push ups in Week 1 will make anyone feel empowered! I am on Week 2 myself and having a blast - I love the great variety of effective workouts Cathe provides. Never a dull moment!

As of this week 2/26/18 I've started my 2nd round of STS using your rotation and love it.

I took a week off (recovery) then the 2nd week spent doing my 1RM testing along w/my 19yr old son. We are doing this program together, he's doing his own cardio but doing the weight lifting with me. He even started his own Workout Manager account.

I took a week off (recovery) then the 2nd week spent doing my 1RM testing along w/my 19yr old son. We are doing this program together, he's doing his own cardio but doing the weight lifting with me. He even started his own Workout Manager account.

What an amazingly wonderful example you have set for your son! I am sure you are an inspiring role model to him.Hopefully this will set him up for an active and healthy life for many years to come.

I think that setting a positive example to others is a great motivator for many Cathletes. Thanks for reminding me that this is one of the important reasons I need to keep at it!

Jane Power-Grimm.
I do not have access to the workout-blender to print the workout you created. Could you send a link to where I can get it to print it off? I loved STS, although, I have not done it since it came out; but thinking about looking at it again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.