STS & Horizontal Conditioning

ginny mahaney

Good afternoon everyone! I'm just finishing month 2 of STS and am looking for some great core and core/cardio workouts for my off days. I've read a lot about Horizontal Conditioning here, but am curious if it would work with STS? I'm concerned about overworking my shoulders/upper body. Which ones would you all recommend? It seems like the 101's are 30 minutes so would fit nicely with a 30 minute cardio workout, so I'm leaning towards those.

I'd also love any other other core or core/cardio recommendations! I find Cathe's Cardio Core Circuit to be a great cardio workout that incorporates some core, but doesn't really burn out my core the way I would like. Whereas Bob Harper's Totally Ripped Core is an awesome core workout that incorporates some cardio, but doesn't give me as much cardio as I would like. I would love to find something similar to TRC, even better something that is a cross between TRC and CCC - burn my core AND great cardio. Any recommendations?

Thanks ladies!

I have two HC's. Haven't done them in a while but they are very intense on the upper body. What about the ab circuits that came with STS? I just finished week 2, round 2. Started in May because due to life I'd gotten incredibly out of shape. So I went back to STS and this time did HiiT and Afterburn for my cardio (in the past I ran for cardio during STS). I got the BEST results I've ever gotten this time. So good I started another round.

Not sure if any of that really answers your question. Personally I wouldn't do HC along with STS. I've done the ab DVD that came with the program, some of her other ab workouts and occasionally the ab workout from Ultimate Yogi 108. And for cardio I did various Cathe's HiiT dvds.

Thanks, that is helpful! Interesting that you are doing Afterburn as your cardio. I love Afterburn but thought metabolic weight training would also be over working my body. I am doing STS M/W/F and doing HIIt Tue, yoga Thurs, and Barre on Saturday so I get a second leg workout in each week. I feel like that is making a big difference. I tried doing the no equipment and the medicine ball abs workouts on STS abs and wasn't very impressed with either of them, so haven't tried the others.I guess I should give them a whirl.

Last edited:
Do you like Paul Katami? Not near the intensity of HoCo, although his Ab Lab and Core portion of Build & Burn are very effective.
Lots of excellent instruction on youtube as well. I like standing abs routines from Melissa Bender, Fitness Blender & Qinetic LIve, just to name a few.
I see you have Yoga on Thursday. Would you consider the sun salutations plus boat pose etc. enough? Or is this yoga day more of a mobility and/or recovery kind of yoga?

Great suggestions, thanks! I do like Paul Katami and have had Burn and Build on my wish list for a while. I was going to wait until I'm done with STS but now that I know about the abs/core I will definitely pick that up! Will check out the other ones too!
I'm trying to keep my yoga day to flexibility/mobility. I've been sampling some yin yoga. I've had several tendinitis issues this year from tennis so am trying to work on flexibility. Really need to find time to do yoga a second day but it's tough with STS!
Thanks again!

Just a note on nutrition ... I started round 2 of STS in September and decided to throw Whole 30 in there during meso 1. Let me tell you ... game changer! It was so significant people I hardly knew noticed a difference. I was back to just my usual paleo food plan for meso 2, but for meso 3 I"m doing Whole 30 again. Excited to see what happens.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.