Rubber plates

I'm thinking of replacing my plastic ones with some rubber ones. Any suggestions for good ones? And I believe bumper plates are essentially the same as "regular" plates.

I'm thinking of replacing my plastic ones with some rubber ones. Any suggestions for good ones? And I believe bumper plates are essentially the same as "regular" plates.
Hi LasVegasFitGirl,

There is a difference between bumper plates and rubber plates. Bumper plates are usually made for olympic bars and their purpose is to lessen and quiet the impact of dropping a loaded bar when doing exercises like a clean and jerk. Rubber plates are regular metal plates coated with a thin layer of rubber. The purpose of the rubber in these plates is to protect the plate from chipping as well as to protect damage to your gym equipment, but they are not made to dropped from above your head like bumper plates are.

Then, does anyone have rubber plates? I'm interested in the best quality brands, naturally. I've never had them, but I know sometimes the rubber can tear - thinking of the dumbbells I had. And, considering, nothing lasts forever, and knowing they can tear just from usage, eventually.

In January I purchased the Troy lite standard rubber plates. I have their barbell and even though there were cheaper plates I liked the quality. I got them from live well sports online and had no problems with them. I really like that these interlock and have hand hole because the plated can be difficult to remove in a hurry. Just make sure you read carefully most of the plates online are for Olympic bars even if not clearly stated.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.