Recommended Flooring for a Home Gym

Nancy Rossman

Hello!

What is your recommendation for flooring for use in a bonus room that is used as a second family room and a home gym? Currently, the room has a low-pile berber carpet that will be replaced. I use Cathe's exercise DVDs that require plyo moves, as well as strength training and other cardio exercises. We may also be purchasing an eliptical in the future. We would like something that is both functional for exercising and comfortable for recreation. Thanks!

I have some experience, so thought I would share. In my exercise room, I have a sisal area rug laid over a low pile carpet/carpet pad. The sisal rug provides a degree of slickness needed so when you move side to side during Cathe's step/ cardio routines, you don't tear your knees up. The sisal rug also eliminates sweat puddles, so you don't slip. Finally, this flooring combination is also good for free-weight workouts and calisthenics. Our elliptical and treadmill machines are on a solid surface with those thin rubber pads that protect the flooring the machine is on. I would not put them on a carpeted surface, as that allows the machine excessive flex, which is not good for the equipment.

I have been searching flooring for about a month. I have cement floors in my basement that I workout on and I use a very thin yoga mat. Have searched high and low and so far the best option I have found is made by Great Mats...it's 4×10 I believe and is 8mm thick, has good reviews for $130. Last week I bought a $15 mat from walmart that is 10mm which is great, but it is too small to try to workout on.

Hi msperkey,

It really depends on the amount of money you want to spend and how good of a floor you want. For higher end shock absorbent floors you might want to take a look at https://www.stagestep.com/ for some options. This is a system like we use in our Gym and studio.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.