Recommended Cathe Cardio after long hiatus

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

I broke my foot and toes awhile ago and am still healing. I haven't done any cardio (obviously), and am noticing day by day just how out of cardio shape I am. What Cathe Cardio would you recommend for me to start after being on such a hiatus? I am guessing it will be 12-16 weeks that I will be unable to workout.

I initially thought I would be able to do upper body work, but couldn't because I can't put any weight whatsoever on the foot (can't carry the weights to the bench). I also thought I would be able to do body weight exercises, but can't do anything that involves toes (planks, push-ups, pull-ups, tricep dips, etc.) Therefore, I am out of cardio shape and muscle shape!

I have just started to be able to do some highly modified barre work from Fit Tower and Turbo Barre and am getting discouraged because the simplest movements get me winded. I am thinking to stay away from HiiT in the beginning. Perhaps try step because I can easily modify to make it easier (stay grounded, don't use risers). Maybe even kickboxing?

Any cardios you have tried after a long hiatus?

Thank you!

Are you going to get physical therapy when you get out of whatever cast you are in?
I would think just walking will be challenging to start with, getting all those long immobilized parts working again without over straining. a stationary bike ? not hard on feet, no impact, but can get the juices flowing after a long layoff.

Last edited:
Hi Melanie:

I usually choose Cardio & Weights from Intensity series for a start back step workout. How about Low Impact Circuit from the Sash series? And the low intensity step workout from 4DS, then there's Party Rocking Step 1 (which I actually have never done so don't know it personally). Also, take Low Max and just do the step combos without the blasts, then gradually work the blasts in as the weeks go by ... I think also, you could look at many of the workouts in LIS series to help you get back: the slide and glide, the Cardio Supersets, Afterburn, Athletic Conditioning, the Low Impact challenge which is a step workout too. From there, consider ICE Low Impact Sweat, then XTrain All Out Low Impact Sweat, the new Low impact and Met Con workout from Fit Split too. From there, I reckon the Cathe world is your oyster!!

Wishing all the best and speedy recovery.

Clare

Try the cycling (as recommended by nckfitheart2009) you may be able to protect the toes at the same time and there won't be impact or standing or risk of losing your balance.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.