Question for Runners . . . . Leg cramps

Travisli

Cathlete
Last week, the day after I ran my long run, I got some pretty brutal leg cramps -- what can I do about this?

I eat really healthy/clean and I believe leg cramps are generally the result of nutritional deficiencies -- but I don't know what I'm lacking . . . or how to figure it out.

Help?

When I was still running I would get severe calf cramps towards the end of a long race too so I know what you are talking about. NOT FUN! I would drink gatorade or some other sports drink as well as water during my run. I also tried eating Clif Blocks and the like. They both helped a bit in that I was able to last longer with out cramping but they did not keep them away for good. I hope you can get some good advice here cause that's no joke! It has almost put me in tears on more then one occassion!!!!:eek:

I have the same problem (cramping after running). It was usually during the night I would wake up with a cramping in my calf or feet. Potassium (bananas) and electrolyte drinks did not help me. What worked for me was a calcium/magnesium supplement. I need to take them every day for it to help but noticed an improvement within a few days.

I would start with potassium and salt and if that doesn't help, then try the calcium supplements.

Thanks ladies -

I can do bananas, I can't stomach gatorade but I may try again. . . and the supplements seems easy enough to try so I'm going to! I get the cramps at night -- last week I felt my legs starting to knott up while I was falling asleep, but I didn't react quick enough and I could barely get out of bed the cramps were so bad and incredibly painful!!!

Thanks again!!

Travisli,
I have problems with leg cramps as well- usually during the night and they are very painful. I talked to a pharmacist about it and he said it was a magnesium and/or potassium deficiency. I have been taking a calcium/magnesium supplement as well and it has helped me a lot!
Hope this helps!
Melissa

I used to get it differently then everyone else here. I would get them during the last part of the race or as soon as I stopped running. The first time it happened I had to keep walking around or the pain would get even worse. My husband suggested the gatorade that day and it helped so I've used it ever since but what horrific pain! :(

I will get an occassional calf cramp at night as well when my calves are tight but it never had anything to do with running.

I so could have wrote this post. I get them occasionally. Usually after a brutual leg workout or intense run. I get them in my sleep. Always in my sleep. Usually if I eat 2 bananas a day this helps me alot.

This may sound weird, but you can try an airborne. It helps me with tottm cramps, I wonder if it would help with leg cramps.

sounds like dehydration to me. I agree with the banannas - they can never hurt and gatorade - if you can't stomach it - me either - just make sure your are properly hydrated with water - especially a few days before your 10k - good luck with that!!!!

I did a 30 mile bike ride a few weeks back - in hot weather and high humidity - that night my legs were cramping like crazy - I know I did not drink enough during the ride and was probably slightly dehydrated before it.

Make sure you replenish electolytes. I do this with coconut water.

I just saw a magnesium lotion in the drug store that might be helpful (magnesium helps relax muscles). Or something like "Calm" (with or without the calcium) might help: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vital...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1279034533&sr=1-1

Make sure to stretch well after your run (I do quite a few 5ks as a walker, and I don't see many people stretch afterwards. I always do).

You might be able to help prevent the cramps by wearing a compression garment like CW-X (since I've started wearing the bike-short length ones during 5ks, I've eliminated a hamstring tightness that I'd often get). But if you have calf cramps, it's too hot now to wear the ankle-length tights.

I don't do Gatorade as it rips my stomach apart, but there are a TON of sports drinks on the market. Try something else and see what works for you. I personally use Gu2O for my electrolyte replacement drink (I've also used coconut water and LOVE that, but not for very intense training or racing), and add in calories using CarboPro. It took me a long time to figure this combo out - you have to find what works for you personally.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.