Question about Cardio Slam

I was trying to figure that out while I was doing the workout myself. I would say the cardio is hard like HIIT but did not seem as structured as the HIIT I did before. I did the step and mat premix. I found it a challenge and know that to do all three segments will take some time for me to work up to. I think I will try the floor only next. Let me know your thoughts.

I did it this morning and loved it! For me I would not consider it hiit compared to how I feel doing Tabatacise, X10, HIIT 30/30, etc.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I did it this morning and loved it! For me I would not consider it hiit compared to how I feel doing Tabatacise, X10, HIIT 30/30, etc.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I think I have been spoilt all these years with various Hiit listed above to expect another one from SANDS.

Post above sums up my answer. No it did not feel as a Hiit --- Hiting those 80-85% Vo2 max- Cardio vascular zone:)
That said, I have attempted it once. I felt the burn in my lower body big time:);) with the NO modification workout.
--/-- No need for any modification for me:) I will reach for it when I need a cardio segment without aiming for my
main goal;).

@dmerz I agree, it did not feel as Hiit to me.
Here is another opinion sharing mine.

https://2lazy4gym.com/2016/12/29/strong-sweaty-cardio-slam/

Last edited:
Again, I think perception is part of it and what you put into the workout. I agree it that it feels Hiit-like and if you really go all in effort wise, it could be Hiit or conversely if you are a little fatigued or not used to Hiit this could be Hiit for you. No matter how you slice it, it is an awesome workout and we all will get something out of it--especially satisfaction of another great workout.

Cardio Slam is advertised as a high intensity workout not a hiit workout.

"Looking to get a solid, sweaty, high-intensity cardio segment in less than an hour? Then this workout is for you! Prepare yourself for an intense mix of high impact and low impact blasts both on and off the step. In this workout you’ll transition from floor cardio to mat cardio to step cardio with a mix of lightly weighted exercises throughout. A mix of new exciting movements as well as some old favorites will keep you moving and breathing"

I thought this workout was a nice mix of high intensity and low intensity moves. There were times when I was sucking wind (darn you burpees!!) and there were times when my heart rate was up but not crazy elevated. I really enjoyed it!
I felt exactly che same way. By the third time I did it, I started to feel challenged but not as much as with Hiit. Had a lot of fun but no dread factor! To me , my hardest are Plyo Hiit two (second exercise... Those hops are too fast on 8 inches, I need to lower to 6 for this one and then go back to 8) and Hiit 40/20. I don't know why but to me are harder than Tabatacise eventi if shorter. Anyway...still glad to have goals to reach and workout to tackle :)

I agree that it is high intensity but not Hiit. Wearing my heart rate monitor helped me to find out that I was not hitting the very top end of my range with Cardio Slam (but still some variation up and down and all within my target zone). And that's all good. I agree with Dmerz (Doreen) above that we only want to do Hiit a couple of days per week (as Cathe recommends) and then select other types of cardio workouts for the other days. And Cardio Slam fits the bill perfectly for one of those other non-Hiit days in the rotation.

I went old school this week and did another HIGH INTENSITY, but not Hiit, workout that left me totally wiped, humbled and breathless - Maximum Intensity Cardio (on Cathe's Rhythmic Step DVD). Whoa! Instead of 60 second intervals, it was like one giant 60 MINUTE interval! Not a break, even to gasp or grab water, for an hour! So, I finally figured out what Nathalie said...."Hiit is not synonymous with high intensity". Nice that Cathe gives us different types of high intensity workouts!

I was wondering the same thing. Noticed that Cardio Slam isn't a dvd listed with Hiit or Interval in the shop section. I actually didn't see it in the shop section at all.

Agree with the toughest Hiit being the 40/20!!! Time really flies mostly due to the fact that my main concern is just surviving to the end of the w/o without dying [emoji15][emoji849]!! It is so fast-paced it flies by quickly. I can only do this one (as well as Hiit Pyramid) 1-2 times/week because it's a true Hiit and takes more out of you. I know this post is Cardio Slam but someone mentioned the 40/20, which is MUCH tougher than cardio slam. I do love C.S. though!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is so fast-paced it flies by quickly. I can only do this one (as well as Hiit Pyramid) 1-2 times/week because it's a true Hiit and takes more out of you. I know this post is Cardio Slam but someone mentioned the 40/20, which is MUCH tougher than cardio slam. I do love C.S. though!!!

2 times per week is the maximum recommended frequency. As to highlighted above, oh you may want to visit fast stuff such as
one which rarely get mentioned here CCC Cardio core circuit;):). To the max is also fast --- Well to name a few;);)
That said it is fine to cycle intensity and to have choices.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.