Pyramid II (sort of)

7badkitties

I'd like an upper and lower body workout split which uses the following sets/reps:

Chest (for example): Chest Press 12 reps (lightest weight), 10 reps (a little heavier), 8 reps (a little heavier still), 6 reps (heaviest), back to 12 reps (lighter weight) and 12 reps of another Chest Exercise (incline press or something).

Each muscle group (Back, Biceps, etc.) would go thru that type of set/rep pattern but with just that one full round and then you're done with that muscle group. Lower Body - same thing, Squat, 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12. The last set of 12 is a different exercise for that same muscle group.

I did this type of weight training, which I learned from the Body for Life book, about 13-14 years ago or so and got great results. The speed wasn't as fast as Cathe's Pyramid nor as slow as her Slow and Heavy, somewhere in between. You took maybe a 30 second or 1 minute (can't remember now) rest in between sets. Weights were 3 days per week, so some weeks you did legs twice, the next week was upper body twice. The speed of the workout was nice because I could go really heavy. There was no video, it was just what I read in a book. Cardio was a type of HiiT for 20 minutes 3 times a week (I did that on a stationary bike). Core was 1 round of 12, 10, etc. when I did the lower body weights.

Of course I could do this again on my own, but I have a Cathe addiction so must do a Cathe workout everyday :D Also, I think Cathe could improve on this and add her special Cathe magic to make it super fun and motivating.:D

I did the Body for Life routine a few years back and I shed weight so quickly on it. It's effective. I didn't shift anything in my diet. I would love a Body for Life routine (pyramid sort of) workout for both upper and lower.

I just finished doing PUB twice this week - despite having hundreds of workouts to choose from. Why oh why does Cathe not make more pyramid type workouts? Why? They are sooooo well loved, used and talked about, here and on VF!!!! Still - after all these years. She even makes reference on the DVD that "this is an upper body tape"!!! It's an old one but an amazing one. Why Cathe? Why????????????????????? not????????????????

Let's not forget Pyramid LOWER Body, as well. I have to agree w/all here, Cathe's pyramid DVDs are very effective.

I have to admit to enjoying the more traditional gym-style strength tapes (S&H, PUB/PLB, Gym Style, STS Strength, Burns Sets, etc) more than the ones that use more "functional" types that require a stability ball or being in a plank position. I find it more difficult to focus on working the target muscles, particularly now that I'm a geezer.

I love this idea. Traditional exercises, too (please, nothing on the stability ball). For LB, offer both a regular heavy weight workout and a plyo workout. She could incorporate this into a STS program... (am I greedy or what?)

Cathe could compliment this with cardio workouts using the same concept. Something like a combo of X10 & HiiT/Double Pyramid---low impact versions, mixed impact, boot camp, metabolic low impact, metabolic high impact, kickbox w/gloves, heavy bag, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.