Protein shake breakfast?

jennifercareer

I'm trying to tweak my diet a little because my weight loss is going very slow even though I'm execising 4-5 days a week. I have a 7 month old baby, work full time and go to school part time so my time is very limited to spend extensive hours working out. I eat clean now, but I'm wondering if changing my diet might be the key.
Has anyone ever drank protein shakes for breakfast? Are they really a good meal replacement? I've got 15 more lbs to lose and I'm not exactly a body builder but I do strength train 3 days a week. I don't know if protein shakes are pointless for me. Could they be better then a real wholesome breakfast?

I'm betting a "real wholesome breakfast" will always be the best choice, but i often do a protein shake right after my workout (and thus, for breakfast, since i exercise in the am). I started by just using protein powder and water, but over time in order to become more well rounded nutritionally, i started adding several things. Now, i use 8 oz water, a scoop of chocolate protein powder (i use Tri-pact from gnc, high protein, low sugars, tastes great!), 1/6 cup powdered milk, 1/4 cup plain oatmeal, 2 tsp benefiber and ice. I grind it all really well in a blender and it tastes very very yummy and has a good balance of healthy carbs, fiber and protein.

Nutritionally it has a little over 300 calories, 30+ g protein, 5g fiber, around 30 carbs, and only 3g added sugar (i don't count the 8 or so g of sugar from the milk since it's a natural source). Since i try to do the "eat 5 - 6 times per day"...300 calories equals about one meal for me since i'm going for weight loss. It does keep me full for HOURS tho...i have to remind myself sometimes to eat 3 hours later, cause it keeps me going for that long. It's great if i'm on the run, which i often am.

I personally think that if you can get the actual natural food in with all the nutrients you need, do that. But if it's a choice between grabbing something insufficient and having a well rounded protein shake, i'll grab the shake every time.

Wow--you have a lot going on! Diet really is key to weightloss. Personally, I feel hungry soon after if I have just a protein shake for breakfast. I usually start out with one, before I work out. Then, I eat a whole grain fig newton and a danactive immediately after the workout. On my way out the door, I usually eat a hard-boiled egg and a banana. Then I'm sated until lunch.

I just posted a ? about suggestions for pre/post w/o meals. Your's is what I was thinking would work well for me. thanks.

As far as protien shakes go, most are made to be quick digesting, since the protein is usually processed and easy for the body to breakdown quickly and most are suggested for post workout consumption. I noticed chikaygo added benefiber which is probably what's helping hers digest slowly and stick with her, and while that is one option, a better quick wholesome option would be real food, that your body has to break down over time. My favorite "stick with me" breakfast is this:
Quickie omelet - 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg whisked and thrown into a nonstick pan, then add spinach and light cheese of choice or avocado slices and fold over and enjoy. Along side that have a 1/4 cup of oatmeal with some blueberries tossed in and also a side of microwave steamed spinach...yes extra spinach for breakfast isn't normal but it really provides loads antioxidants and vitamins to start your day with loads of energy. This whole breakfast takes no more than 7 minutes to make as long as you are good at multitasking (i.e. oatmeal in microwave while cooking omelet on stove)
Eggs are slower digesting and paired with a good fat like avocado they stick with you longer. Be sure to use one whole egg in the omelet and not just whites, as the yoke completes all the amino acids. Oatmeal and blueberries is a fiber packed combo that satisfies you and fills you up and regulates the digestion. Your body is looking for crucial nutrients to start the day with and this is a great way to get them all in one balanced meal. A breakfast that is real food and wholesome prevents hunger later in the day since your body has met all its nutrient quotas and won't be searching later and causing intense cravings.
Save your protein shake for a great post workout snack. Paired with a fast digesting carb like 1/2 a banana mixed in, it will be a great way to get the glycogen back into those glycogen depleted muscles and protein to help rebuild muscle!:)

I love Shakeology and have been drinking it everyday for over a year. I find it keeps me full and has helped me to add on muscle mass. Also, my cholesterol levels were awesome last time I had labs done. I rarely get sick and I even work in a doctors office. For me it's worth the cost. I don't eat clean all the time but do my best.
Amy

I'm trying to tweak my diet a little because my weight loss is going very slow even though I'm execising 4-5 days a week. I have a 7 month old baby, work full time and go to school part time so my time is very limited to spend extensive hours working out. I eat clean now, but I'm wondering if changing my diet might be the key.
Has anyone ever drank protein shakes for breakfast? Are they really a good meal replacement? I've got 15 more lbs to lose and I'm not exactly a body builder but I do strength train 3 days a week. I don't know if protein shakes are pointless for me. Could they be better then a real wholesome breakfast?

Hi,
Replacing certain meals with protein shakes may help you reduce your daily calories, which can help you lose weight. If you rely on protein shakes to replace regular meals, however, you'll miss out on the nutritional benefits of whole foods. And since protein contains calories, consuming too much protein can actually make losing weight more difficult especially if you drink protein shakes in addition to your usual diet.
-Rosetta

I would not recommend using protein shakes. It is best to use a natural products: eggs, fish, meat and others, which contain lots of protein. :)

Skipping the breakfast for to loss the weight is ok or not..im a newbie
I am not a dietition nor do I have a degree in biochem, so this is just my opinion based on reading, experience etc (and basic biology). I think skipping meals (any meals) is not a good idea as it tends for most people and moreso for people over 30, to mess with the metabolism long-term and with glucose levels short-term. If I have to skip (or eat very little) for breakfast, I tend to then overeat for supper or during the later hours. It doesn't seem a very sustainable path to weight loss and especially weight maintenance. Frequency of eating seems to be very individual (from three to six times per day), although many women seem to find for muscle building, 4+ meals works best for them. I, personally, haven't really noticed any difference as long as I eat enough and have something containing amino acids/protein & potassium before bed.
For weight loss, I think it is a good idea to include plentiful fiber in the breakfast to keep things moving along as a sluggish bowel = low energy for your exercise.

The studies show that a high-protein breakfast suppresses hunger hormone ghrelin, control appetite, and crushes cravings. Breakfast is often a low priority. A protein shake for a breakfast provides a fast, no-brainer meal to stay your stomach full, focused, and fabulous in the morning.

A protein shake is a good choice for those who don't get a protein from other food. So if you are looking for an alternative choice then I think you can have a protein shake.

I often take protein shake at a certain quantity. But i think taking it right after the workout isn't the good idea. I take carbs after doing workout, and the whole diet moves in its way.

Skipping the breakfast for to loss the weight is ok or not..im a newbie

Healthy breakfast is important for everyone, even for people trying to lose weight.

A new meta-analysis combined the data from seven controlled studies evaluating the effects of skipping breakfast on body composition and cardiometabolic risk factors. Some studies say that people who eat breakfast are less likely to overeat the rest of the day.

As for me, it's better to keep your calories on the right level and do not overeat.

Websites often write that breakfast is the most important meal. It has to be balanced. Still, coaches adhere to the idea that protein should be obtained from your daily meals. Protein cocktails are a good supplement if you haven't got enough protein.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.