Portable Snack Ideas Please

aveggiegirl

Cathlete
Could you please suggest some easy, portable snack ideas that do not include nuts? Please include healthy items that do not need to be refrigerated and have some protein.

Thanks so much!

Could you please suggest some easy, portable snack ideas that do not include nuts? Please include healthy items that do not need to be refrigerated and have some protein.

Thanks so much!
Another idea would be jerky. There are a lot of varieties available to choose from these days.
I have found that an apple with sunflower butter or even sprinkled with cinnamon can be very satisfying.
I also like to pack the single-serving guacamole packs and used it like a dip for carrots and red/orange peppers. They need to be stored in the fridge long term, but for a day would be okay un-refrigerated. I feel the same way about cheese sticks, but other people might not.
I even take a small container of a variety of olives and grape tomatoes and find that to be satisfying because of the healthy fats.

Another idea would be jerky. There are a lot of varieties available to choose from these days.
I have found that an apple with sunflower butter or even sprinkled with cinnamon can be very satisfying.
I also like to pack the single-serving guacamole packs and used it like a dip for carrots and red/orange peppers. They need to be stored in the fridge long term, but for a day would be okay un-refrigerated. I feel the same way about cheese sticks, but other people might not.
I even take a small container of a variety of olives and grape tomatoes and find that to be satisfying because of the healthy fats.
Thanks so much for the ideas!

I love this thread, as I travel a lot. For a month at a time and take 99% of my own food. Needs to be tasty, satisfying and minimal care - and no leaking! I will list what I use and why (contains nuts & coconuts, which you don't want, but I will list them for others.) I hope others chime in, as I am always looking for even more ideas.

**Canned Ventresca Tuna (VitalChoice.com) - pop off lid, smaller sized, wild caught, in organic EVOO (I do need to drain this so kind of have to plan ahead where I am going to eat it.

**Canned crab meat (VitalChoice.com) - needs a can opener - I bought a military one (seriously the size of a nail file). Is a larger size than the Ventresca, so fills me up a bit too much, but works.

**Other canned/foiled meat (VitalChoice.com) - I only eat the Ventresca tuna listed above (and sometimes the crab), but they also have albacore, sardines, shrimp, etc. I just dislike fish...but can totally handle the ventresca (fattest portion of the underbelly in EVOO and is yummy and filling)

**Freeze Dried Organic Vegetables (Nuts.com) - I pre-portion this out into baggies

**Organic Nuts and Seeds galore (Nuts.com) - I pre-portion this out into baggies

**Freeze Dried Organic Fruit (Nuts.com) - I rarely take fruits because of the sugar, but when I *know* I will be tempted by sugar or certain times of the month, I take a few packets for "emergencies". I like freeze dried, rather than regular dried because there is NO ADDED SUGAR. (but read ingredients)

**Date rolls/energy bites (Nuts.com) - Again, I rarely take these because of the sugar, but do take a few for "emergencies". Read the ingredients as some have added sugar, while others do not.

**Artisana Organic Coconut Butter Packets (VitaCost.com or Amazon.com) - portable, single serving size, I use a spoon to eat it. VERY filling. Note that depending on the temperature, it is hard or soft and tastes different in each state - I like both states.

**Artisana Organic Nut Butter Packets (VitaCost.com or Amazon.com) - several flavors (cashew and walnut/cashew are my favorite). Portable, single serving size, I use a spoon to eat it. (note I tried to take a jar of my own homemade nut butter once and I won't do it again - these individual packets are just so much easier)

**Chia Seeds - I just make a chia water and drink it. Very filling. Add lemon or lime from hotel. Or add EO, if you are in to that.

**Coconut Flour (TropicalTraditions.com) - I just add coconut flour to water and drink it.

**Beef Sticks (PaleoValley.com) - the "cleanest" beef sticks I can find. I try not to eat these too often because they are still considered processed, but if that isn't an issue for you, they are yummy.

**Tea Bags - Organic tea leaves with therapeutic benefits (detox, dandelion, ginger, peppermint, etc). Just ask for hot water!

**ACV - a must for me! I put it in water, in my tea, sprinkle a bit on the tuna. Not a meal, per se, but helps with travel digestion.

**Filled Water Bottles - I always take about 6 plastic water bottles with me because for some unknown reason it seems the places I go do not have flat/still water readily available. Fizzy water, pop, wine....yes. Water....no.

**Portable Berkey Water Filter - again, not a meal, but cleans your water. Also a berkey water bottle.

**If I can come across a Farmer's Market when I travel, I hit it right away and get portable items I can clean in the hotel room (I am sure the workers wonder what the heck is going on) - tomatoes, kumquats, avocado, bananas, snap peas, sweet peppers.

Before I travel, I pre-portion out everything (I found I won't do it while traveling). Then I have a little zip bag that can hold my entire day's meals along with utensils, napkins, portable can opener, homemade purell and an extra baggie I use for trash (it is actually quite small overall). I put the zip bag in my back pack/purse and am set for the entire day. I then eat in the park (or somewhere scenic) or when I am with others, most restaurants are quite accommodating and don't mind.

I just got back from a long trip and my food weighed 30 lbs going out! I only had a couple light items left when I returned, so that gave me plenty of room for souvenirs. Note that TSA inspects my bag 99% of the time - probably because the tuna tins set off some kind of warning. I use "Pelican" cases to store all of my food and put them in my suitcase. Then I use the empty pelican cases for fragile souvenirs on the way home.

Wow,@Gobias ! Great info, thanks for sharing. You sure are dedicated to your healthy eating during travel. Seriously inspiring, and lots of super ideas that I am going to *steal,* for when I am out running my kids around town and need something to eat.

I love this thread, as I travel a lot. For a month at a time and take 99% of my own food. Needs to be tasty, satisfying and minimal care - and no leaking! I will list what I use and why (contains nuts & coconuts, which you don't want, but I will list them for others.) I hope others chime in, as I am always looking for even more ideas.

**Canned Ventresca Tuna (VitalChoice.com) - pop off lid, smaller sized, wild caught, in organic EVOO (I do need to drain this so kind of have to plan ahead where I am going to eat it.

**Canned crab meat (VitalChoice.com) - needs a can opener - I bought a military one (seriously the size of a nail file). Is a larger size than the Ventresca, so fills me up a bit too much, but works.

**Other canned/foiled meat (VitalChoice.com) - I only eat the Ventresca tuna listed above (and sometimes the crab), but they also have albacore, sardines, shrimp, etc. I just dislike fish...but can totally handle the ventresca (fattest portion of the underbelly in EVOO and is yummy and filling)

**Freeze Dried Organic Vegetables (Nuts.com) - I pre-portion this out into baggies

**Organic Nuts and Seeds galore (Nuts.com) - I pre-portion this out into baggies

**Freeze Dried Organic Fruit (Nuts.com) - I rarely take fruits because of the sugar, but when I *know* I will be tempted by sugar or certain times of the month, I take a few packets for "emergencies". I like freeze dried, rather than regular dried because there is NO ADDED SUGAR. (but read ingredients)

**Date rolls/energy bites (Nuts.com) - Again, I rarely take these because of the sugar, but do take a few for "emergencies". Read the ingredients as some have added sugar, while others do not.

**Artisana Organic Coconut Butter Packets (VitaCost.com or Amazon.com) - portable, single serving size, I use a spoon to eat it. VERY filling. Note that depending on the temperature, it is hard or soft and tastes different in each state - I like both states.

**Artisana Organic Nut Butter Packets (VitaCost.com or Amazon.com) - several flavors (cashew and walnut/cashew are my favorite). Portable, single serving size, I use a spoon to eat it. (note I tried to take a jar of my own homemade nut butter once and I won't do it again - these individual packets are just so much easier)

**Chia Seeds - I just make a chia water and drink it. Very filling. Add lemon or lime from hotel. Or add EO, if you are in to that.

**Coconut Flour (TropicalTraditions.com) - I just add coconut flour to water and drink it.

**Beef Sticks (PaleoValley.com) - the "cleanest" beef sticks I can find. I try not to eat these too often because they are still considered processed, but if that isn't an issue for you, they are yummy.

**Tea Bags - Organic tea leaves with therapeutic benefits (detox, dandelion, ginger, peppermint, etc). Just ask for hot water!

**ACV - a must for me! I put it in water, in my tea, sprinkle a bit on the tuna. Not a meal, per se, but helps with travel digestion.

**Filled Water Bottles - I always take about 6 plastic water bottles with me because for some unknown reason it seems the places I go do not have flat/still water readily available. Fizzy water, pop, wine....yes. Water....no.

**Portable Berkey Water Filter - again, not a meal, but cleans your water. Also a berkey water bottle.

**If I can come across a Farmer's Market when I travel, I hit it right away and get portable items I can clean in the hotel room (I am sure the workers wonder what the heck is going on) - tomatoes, kumquats, avocado, bananas, snap peas, sweet peppers.

Before I travel, I pre-portion out everything (I found I won't do it while traveling). Then I have a little zip bag that can hold my entire day's meals along with utensils, napkins, portable can opener, homemade purell and an extra baggie I use for trash (it is actually quite small overall). I put the zip bag in my back pack/purse and am set for the entire day. I then eat in the park (or somewhere scenic) or when I am with others, most restaurants are quite accommodating and don't mind.

I just got back from a long trip and my food weighed 30 lbs going out! I only had a couple light items left when I returned, so that gave me plenty of room for souvenirs. Note that TSA inspects my bag 99% of the time - probably because the tuna tins set off some kind of warning. I use "Pelican" cases to store all of my food and put them in my suitcase. Then I use the empty pelican cases for fragile souvenirs on the way home.

I eat Safe Catch Tuna and Nick' s Sticks occasionally. Grass Fed beef and Turkey. I also like Moon Cheese. I am lower carb so I make lots of snacks and granola, etc at home. I enjoy Quest bars that are made with Allulose. The cereal and hero bars. Rarely but it's like a dessert for me :) they have protein.

There are lots of nuts and nut flours in my diet. Not what you're looking for. Do you like pumpkin, pepita or sunflower seeds? I also eat pork rinds. Plain or with dips. I make pepperoni or cheese chips in the microwave. I roast lots of veggies for the crunch and will eat as snack at room temp. Also love olives and dill pickles! Hoping some ideas work for you.

Just ordered tons of stuff from nuts.com. I limit my sugar and carbs. Can't wait to get my package! Thanks for the info!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.