Please Rank These Programs

Stacy

Cathlete
I am working on collecting a few non-Cathe programs that are more 30 minute in length. Something more in the intermediate to high intermediate category, but maybe one program to have for when I'm recovering from an illness or want to take an intensity break. (I just finished Jessica's Walk Strong 3). Can you help me rank these in order of intensity. I don't mind intensity if they can easily be modified, but if I'm having to modify everything I'd probably pass. For instance I'm not looking for workouts with tons of tuck jump type of intensity or tons of burpees. I have bad wrists and also my vertigo starts acting up with non-stop up and down off the floor.

The workouts are...

-Jillian's Body Shred
-Jillian's Body Revolution
-P90X3
-JNL Fusion
-Chalean Extreme
-PiYo
-21 Day Fix

Thanks.

Stacy:

I don't know any of these workouts I am afraid, but why don't you check out jengolf's blog as she has many of these reviewed in a lot of detail and that will help you decide for yourself which might appeal and which not.

https://2lazy4gym.com/

Clare

After reading the reviews, I think I have eliminated both Body Revolution and Body Shred. Body Revolution seems as if the first half of the program may be too easy and Body Shred seems like alot may be too hard so I don't want to waste money on workouts I may not do again. PiYo I checked off the list too, I don't see me coming back to that. I actually own P90X3 already just haven't done it yet. She did not have reviews for 21 Day Fix, JNL Fusion or Chalean Extreme so I'll look at some other sites for those. It's hard to find a "system" where I feel that the first month doesn't seem too easy to spend the money on.

Stacy:

you know, thinking about this, the perfect instructor for you is probably Kelly Coffey Meyer: she is pitched solidly at the intermediate level, with the possibility of going harder or easier. Her workouts are, for the most part, 30 mins long, though she has some releases where you can add sections on to make the workout as long as you want it to be.

In particular check out her Body Design and Build & Burn for this "pick your own sections and make up your own workout" accessibility.

She has also opened up a vimeo channel where she is posting new footage each week in what she calls her "Raw" workouts: just you working out with Kelly in her basement gym.

Clare

I actually have a handful of KCM that I haven't done in awhile. At the time I just didn't click with them. But, fast forward a few years, I now have different goals. I may have to dust them off, see what I have and see what kind of rotation I can piece together. Thanks for suggesting her.

Just to chime in here. I notice you have Chalean Extreme on the list. I know people that give this program rave reviews. It was a great muscle builder for them. Personally, I have tried it twice, and both times given up on it. I was just so bored. The workouts are not long, but I just couldn't bribe myself to get through them. I found it boring, and uninspiring. I love lifting, especially lifting heavy. Just didn't work for me.

In case you are still thinking about getting some more workouts:

I have tried Jillian's Shred, but found I didn't like her as a trainer (I loved her as a trainer on The Biggest Loser, but don't respond to her military type "encouragement" during workouts.)

I also tried Chalene Extreme (I loved Turbo Jam). I found CE to be extremely boring and not effective. I'd take any of Cathe's strength workouts over CE any day.

I have a few PiYo workouts but they weren't for me. I do enjoy an intermediate cardio workout (HIIT kills me, but I'm getting better!) and a intermediate/advanced strength workout (shoot, just add weight to make a strength workout tough, right?) Are you looking for cardio, strength or a mix? Turbo Jam has a few 30 minute workouts that I feel are intermediate (no plyo).

I am working on collecting a few non-Cathe programs that are more 30 minute in length. Something more in the intermediate to high intermediate category, but maybe one program to have for when I'm recovering from an illness or want to take an intensity break. (I just finished Jessica's Walk Strong 3). Can you help me rank these in order of intensity. I don't mind intensity if they can easily be modified, but if I'm having to modify everything I'd probably pass. For instance I'm not looking for workouts with tons of tuck jump type of intensity or tons of burpees. I have bad wrists and also my vertigo starts acting up with non-stop up and down off the floor.

The workouts are...

-Jillian's Body Shred
-Jillian's Body Revolution
-P90X3
-JNL Fusion
-Chalean Extreme
-PiYo
-21 Day Fix

Thanks.
From my past experiences with some of these programs, my thoughts about Jillian's BRevolution and 21 Day Fix..they start off easier but IMO, never get very challenging. And...Autumn's incessant countdown before each set...ugh! Chalean Extreme is great for a heavy weight program...lots of innovative weight work that could be iffy for one's back if your form isn't spot on. The cardio isn't real challenging (IMO) but Chalene makes it fun with her crazy outfits! I guess it would depend upon if you wanted a good strength program or a good cardio-oriented program. My opinion about PiYo would be stay away if you have wonky wrists, as you are in Down Dog quite a lot and I found it difficult to view the screen. JNL Fusion rocks!!!! A great program to get your cardio and weights in the 30 min. workouts, but be mindful of form and keep the volume on the TV down so Jennifer doesn't irritate you, LOL. You have to go heavy on the weighted workouts since you don't do many reps. But it is great if you give it your all for each set since the workouts are 30 min....also remember to count your reps. I'm not familiar with Jillian's Body Shred. I just started P90X3 and have only done a couple workouts so far. I like one...didn't like the other...some workouts are just too sport-oriented for my tastes, so we'll see if I stick with it! These workouts are mostly bodyweight that concentrates on flexibility & strength but there are a few Chin ups/Pull ups and weighted workouts as well. Tony is super funny so hope I can, but I may end up subbing some other workouts in the process.

Also, an aside, Kelly's Build & Burn isn't her best program, IMO. The workouts are hardly 30 min. in length and are definitely low intermediate at best which would be great if that's what you want. ;) I did notice some uneven reps also. Her Raw workouts on Youtube are good which I've enjoyed. She can be hit/miss with me.

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.