Plantar Fasciitis, inserts, and knee pain

loneswaneast

Cathlete
Hi,
I was recently diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, given inserts which I wore when pounding on my feet which resulted in knee pain. I am reading on a variety of forums this can happen when using inserts.

What a mess. Now I can't do squats or put too much pressure on my knees. It is pretty hard to do much it seems, and I can't stand not being able to work up a sweat.

Any suggestions on cardio that won't hurt the knees and leg workouts that will keep legs and glutes toned but don't require bending the knee or kneeling?
Thanks ahead of time.
PS I'm out $480.00 for the inserts! That could buy how many years subscriptions to Cathe on Demand?

Would spin bike workouts work for you? They are tough but there is zero impact.

I had plantar fasciitis myself and the orthodics I had made for my feet were fantastic and allowed me to get back to working out once my body gradually got used to them. I wore them slightly longer each day. Good luck. I hope the pain subsides for you, Loneswaneast.

I had plantar fasciitis in both feet a few years ago. I tried everything my podiatrist suggested. Stretches, inserts, whatever. It would not go away. My inserts were expensive too, but fortunately the place that made them was very kind and refunded most of my money.

Anyhow, the thing that helped me was to keep all pressure off my arches - that means NO arch support. My feet could not tolerate it. I had to find shoes with low arches, and then I'd even take out those insoles and put my own - Dr. Scholl's, something about Work Insoles for women. Very nice and cushy. Then I also bought heel inserts, same brand. That raised my heel up a bit and gave it cushion, and took more pressure off the arch. The plantar fasciitis finally went away, but my left foot is still not completely right.

Please keep in mind as you read this that my solution goes totally against all the medical advice. I'm not a doctor and don't have any medical experience. I just did what worked for me. Good luck. Plantar Fasciitis is a real pain!!

Edited to add: I forgot one thing. In addition to low/no arch support, I had to find shoes with firm, thick soles. Hiking boots worked the best - which is fine, since I live out in the country. :) But for work, I had to buy some rather clunky "walking" shoes. The SAS brand has some good ones that look ok, as long as you wear pants. Which is fine, too, since I hate dresses! :)

Last edited:
Thank you everybody, all your replies really help. I wish I did have a place to swim, I will try to get a refund for the inserts I did get, and if I get another kind, I want to try the no arch support suggestion, and will use them gradually, not all in like I did before.
My instincts have been nagging me telling me what you said, SRP, so I may listen to you and my gut this time.

Thanks again everybody.

Loneswaneast, did you gradually break your inserts in or did you try jumping back in all your regular activity soon after you got them? Also, depending on your biomechanics and the shape of your feet, sometimes a lesser arch support, as SRP suggested, is more helpful than one with higher arch support. Also, like she suggested, a heel support instead might be beneficial. I'm assuming your podiatrist suggested what kind of inserts to get? Have you mentioned the knee pain to him/her? I'm only asking because I'm a physical therapist and see a lot of patients come in who assume that because they have plantarfasciitis, they need arch support because that's generally what most of the population requires, however it isn't appropriate for everyone with this same diagnosis.

I love the idea of getting in a pool! If you can tolerate it, you can do your squats, lunges, "running," lateral walks, side lunges, everything in the pool to get the muscles working again.

I have very flat feet and was told to put inserts in my shoes by a chiropractor- led to IT band troubles and very sore knees. My GP told me to find the most neutral cushioned shoes and go with those (he was a former ultra marathoner) - I have been with HOKAs the last 10 years and my knees feel great. Best of luck to you in finding a solution.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.