Permanent makeup, do you tip?

tlc93

Cathlete
So my co worker is getting permanent eyeliner on her upper lid. The cost is $250-$300. Does she tip? Haircuts, yes. Dining out, yes. Nails, waxing, pedicure...yes. I'm not sure about this! I don't tip when I have my car serviced. This permanent make up is considered a service too.....so.....what do you think? Tip or no tip? I'm curious because I'm now thinking of getting my eyebrows done. So if anyone has an opinion on that too.....please chime in!!

Interesting question. I don't have an answer. My first instinct was that it would be like any salon treatment, 15-20%. But does one tip a tattoo artist? (Any Cathletes with tattoos want to chime in? And also tell us what you have tattoos of?)

ETA: I guess it probably matters if the artist owns her/his own business. (Salon employees generally get tips, whereas small business owners often don't.)

ETAx2: The 'edit' function on the forums is really spoiling me. I emailed my mother today and, upon reading over it, realized I wanted to change a few things, so I started looking for the 'edit' button. Oops. At least it was just my mom...

Last edited:
I definitely tip for services. Salon/spa and yeah, I tipped my tattoo artist (regular tattoo, not perm make-up).
As I look back, I can remember folks I feel I probably should have tipped, but just forgot. Now I feel bad. Sometimes, it just isn't clear how to do these things. lol. Now I just tip all services exclusive of clinical ones like massage for example as their regulatory colleges disallow it.
The one I am currently a bit iffy about is take away food. Everyone prompts at the till now for tips. In a way, I feel that the kitchen staff ought to be tipped, but it is take away food and therefore, bare bones service was provided. I dunno. Lately, I have been tipping for take away but just a measly 9-13%.
:confused:

I would say to tip the tattooist, I'm a hairstylist, I have 5 tattoos, and I've always tipped the tattoo artist. I would say though perhaps a 15-20% tip could be cost prohibitive, but I'm sure the tattooist would be thrilled if u tipped $20-$30.
The tattoos I have are: sunflower on my right ankle, butterfly wings on my upper back, a Japanese symbol meaning "inner strength" between my shoulder blades, a large lower back piece with 2 dragonflies, a plethora of flowers and a Japanese symbol meaning "beloved daughters" to honor my two daughters, plus a Japanese symbol meaning "protector" on my left oblique. My hubby's name is William, and his name means "protector", got that tattoo on my honeymoon .
Love my tattoos!!

That's it!!!! I'm doing it! I'm getting some eyebrows! I haven't had any in about 35 years since I was about 15 years old when I overplucked. They never came back so I'm going to get em!
You will be so pleased! I had mine done. I usually need to have a touch-up about every two years, but my brows look natural and I am so happy to have brows again. :) Let us know how it goes!

Complik8ted......of course I had to look at your avatar picture.....nice brows!!!! I'll check back in once it's done!!
ITA, her brows are just gorgeous and matches her colouring so nicely! I am also on the fence about having this done, lol, so I'll be looking forward to hearing about how yours go and how you like it. My brows are greying at a much faster rate than the hair on my head.

I would say absolutely yes. I think of it as a tattoo, and it is. The standard tattoo tip around here is 20-25%, especially if they did a good job and you ever plan on going back. I don't know about the permanent makeup people, but a regular tattoo person often pays for their slot in the shop and supplies, much like a hairdresser. Which is also why the tattoo guy gets to set his own prices.

I've tipped $100 on a $400 tattoo before. Why? Because I loved it, just spent 5 hours with the guy, and he was clean, fun, and friendly to talk to, and did it exactly like I wanted.

I just want to add that I have no tattoos besides the ink on my brows and eyes; therefore, I have no experience with today's tattoo artists. I had my brows done by my aesthetician. I don't usually tip her for my facial services, since I consider those to be "clinical," as Elsie mentioned. She charged me a LOT of money for the brows, so I suspect it was worth her while. She typically spends one hour with me, but if I need to have a brow touch-up, we schedule 1-1/2 hours. For Christmas, I always give her a generous cash gift.

image.jpeg As I promised, I'm checking in.... This is the result of permanent make up/eyebrow tattoos! I love it. This pic is less than 2 weeks after the procedure. Sorry if the pic looks funny, I'm tech challenged and I didn't want a FULL image. It will still lighten up a bit. I'm not sure if you can see it but there are actual lines that look like individual hairs. Its awesome!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.