Pentagenarians & Beyond: WB 11/29

Deb, the Pyramid cardio is timed rather than number of reps using the pyramid concept. The first cardio move is done for 20 seconds with a 20 second rest, then repeat. The second one is 25 seconds, 25 second rest, repeat. The third is 30 seconds and the fourth is 35 seconds. Then you go back down the pyramid. I like it and it’s only 12 minutes long.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw heavy bag Cardio. This was a lot of fun and the music was fun. I get a kick out of Kelly when she wants to dance to the music. I like that she has different heavy bag workouts. I almost did the Heavy Bag Arms one, but then when I checked out the start she does triceps, heavy bag, shoulders, heavy bag, then biceps and I think another heavy bag segment. I may have been okay, but thought since I did the heavy bag lower one Monday I decided to wait. I have have been doing pretty well this week with the neck and shoulders, but then I have not been on the computer for lengthy times. Too much to do. The heavy bag cardio was 48 minutes, 230 calories, heart rate 125/163, 3,775 steps. I finished with Perfect 30 mobility strength timesaver 10 minutes, 13 calories, 88/141 which was a crazy blip otherwise it was 105, 17 steps. Total time was 58 minutes, 247 calories, 3,792 steps. I changed my arthritis appointment to when school is out for the holidays and made one for my mammogram while school is out.

Judy, I think it has been over a year since I have pulled out Susan Chung's workouts. I really do like them a lot. There were not that many people out on the road here Thanksgiving. It was a pretty quick drive to my daughter's house. Of course once I was out of the city, traffic would not be much anyway. I will be so glad when all of this is over. I don't feel much like going anywhere lately. I had my groceries delivered and keep realizing how many things were missing this time. I went to get out grapes to munch and I had none today. That is usually my go to when I am hungry and want to just grab a few.

Carolyn, nice work with Walk Strong 3 Cardio Step Jam. I start posting or doing something and I get side tracked with school and other activities and forget where I left off. Plus Sunday we drove around and looked at some houses from the outside and a couple of open houses. I am trying to keep the house tidy and ready for viewers. They were supposed to put up a lock box today , but haven't.

Cathy, I can usually just do a workout and do the moves from habit because I had done it so many times, but there are those days where I find myself tripping around and on the wrong side of the bench. I get it though. That kind of happened to me with Body Max 2 the other day. Between that , me being tired and stressed, and my Fit bit I did not go back to that one. I switched workouts. Plus I helped my brain during the zoom and grocery delivery by eating a bulletproof collagen bar. I went back with more energy too.

Valerie, sorry going out with the snow shoes was not so scenic. You did get in a good workout though.

Deb, nice work on the live low impact and Perfect Pump upper body. Good work on the step count. I have been getting 10,000 steps quite a lot lately. I guess all the trips up and down stairs and picking up after children along with going outside with Gertie.
I have not heard much about guidelines for shut downs here. It seems most people do their part. My Vet is still not having people come inside with their dogs. He said there is a lot of traffic in the office and space is not big enough to keep distance. I ordered Gertie's dog food from Chewy.com today as I did not feel like driving to the vet anyway. Usually I drive up and call and they set it outside. I just have to wait for them to get verification from my vet. I did not want to buy from Amazon again. I did it one other time since covid took over and Gertie vomited. It was still Royal Canin , but the weight one. Other people said their dogs got sick too. We went back on the Vet diet. I probably should go out and put gas in my car and get errands in, but it is cold and my allergies have me coughing and sneezing.

Today I did Burn Sets Express Legs Heavy Weights and a 40 minute Jessica Smith walk. I'm loving the Live Burn Sets workouts!

Carolyn-Great job with WS3 Cardio Step Jam.

Deb-Nice job with Live Low Impact Cardio HIIT and Perfect Pump Upper Body. I hope you had a good rest day.

Valerie-Great job snowshoeing. That sounds like a challenging workout.

Diane Sue-Nice job with Coffey Fit Raw heavy bag Cardio! I've been looking at her heavy bag workouts. I want to try out the cardio one soon. It's probably been over a year since I did a Susan Chung workout too.

Cathy-Great job with Step Blast. I really should try to do more step workouts.

Hi to Lori!

Off to do a mt bike this morning. we planned on going to a different spot but DH is tired of two days of long drives so we will do tree farm again. there are quite a few variations we can do so it doesn't seem like the same ride all the time.

judy, it wasn't that challenging really, but tedious. the trees grow like crazy here and old roads get covered with alders that get low intertwined branches. you need to keep eyes covered and all the branches get snagged on everything. its OK for a short distance but don't want to do it for hours. when the trees get taller its better, but when short they are terrible. the road was not very steep. we went until we could see further , and it wasn't getting better. its a different workout though, just like xc skiing is. muscles get used in a different way. I didn't want to get sore by overdoing one day.

I'm not very good on snowshoes, even the narrowest ones. I walk with feet close together, and step on the edges of the snowshoes. some snowshoe styles I can't walk on at all. slots in snowshoes get tangled in the brush also. DH is bowlegged and has no such issues. they are heavy so you don't take them along just for fun. they keep you from "post holing" something that needs no explanation or recommendation.

diane sue, I guess I haven't paid attention but you are putting your house up for sale?

in the cities here compliance on masks and distancing seems pretty good. its smaller towns and less populated areas that are doing worse right now, mostly because they've acted like rules to protect them didn't apply. my only exposure is shopping and right now health care appts. I'm doing all the things I canceled last spring. health care people are following protocol though so I feel Ok with it. weird in the dentists office though. no mask on me, while they are covered in PPE.

ETA we are watching The Queens Gambit right now. this is really excellent. we aren't done yet but fascinating! I highly recommend. I cant imagine anyone not enjoying this. knowing how to play chess is not important. Netflix. tried to watch season 4 of Fargo but I quit a couple episodes ago. not throwing away more time on something so annoying. didn't like season 3 either. DH finished it just because he started it, but didnt enjoy it. anyone else have any recommendations?

Last edited:
This morning I went grocery shopping early, so no workout today. I needed quite a few things, so it took a little longer. I am so excited because my youngest daughter is coming home for a month this weekend. She is working remotely and can do that from here. She was able to work out her scheduled in office treatments to be able to come for several weeks. My oncologist has also volunteered to work with her doctor if anything comes up while she is here. Being able to drive here is one reason that she decided to buy the new car. She will drive 5 hours to my middle daughter’s home and spend the night, then continue here the next day.

Diane Sue, I have the same question as Valerie, are you selling your house? Great job juggling your workouts, virtual school, and your many other activities.

Judy, nice work with Live Burn Sets Legs and JS walk.

Valerie, I hope that you enjoy your mountain biking today. We have good mask compliance here also for that few places that I go. I am currently watching the Undoing with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant on HBO. It’s based on the book You Should Have Known. I know that you don’t have HBO, but do you have HBO Max through one of your streaming services? Is season 1 of the new Perry Mason on Netflix yet? That was really good.

Hello to Deb, Cathy, and Lori.

Carolyn you are right. no HBO and no HBO max. we have netflix, prime, and hulu. I write down titles that are recommended and watch for them to come up later. we are watching The Good Fight too, spin off from The Good Wife, but only found it on dvd. its entertaining but has a political focus for many episodes. I'm fine with it and some things are hilarious. if you're sensitive or don't enjoy political themes, skip it. I have not seen Perry Mason yet, but sometimes you have to look for the new stuff, it doesnt always pop up by itself.
I like Nicole Kidman. that lady works a lot! Hope you have a good visit with your daughter. good idea to have local doctor back up since she's a long way from home for a good amount of time . its good to have someone lined up to access if needed.

we rode our usual area. sunny and mild, but now cloudy again. 93 minutes of good riding. I can do easily an hour and a half outdoors and can't imagine it doing it inside .

Today I did Cardio Leg Blast which was 57 minutes and 305 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 155. I really like this workout. I hadn’t done it since last December, so it was a nice addition.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

we finished the Queens Gambit last night. only about 7 episodes but is excellent! I had to drag DH to watch it, but after one episode he now insists he's the one who discovered it. outstanding acting and a smart believable script. we both had eye appts this morning so we were gone much of the morning since we were seen one after the other. my eyes are still dilated so not going grocery shopping until that settles down some. happens to be bright and sunny today and that makes it worse. might take the day off exercise today, will see when I get back from groceries.
multiple characters in here to like. not "unrealistically perfect" characters , but human with good and bad qualities. that may be what I found so dismal about Fargo. no one to like at all.

No workout yesterday as I was shopping. Today I did Pyramid Pump lower body. I really like that one and I can use the same weights as Cathe, which I sure can't say for everything. Only modification is I do one legged deadlifts with raised leg because of my lower back. I switched out the stretch for LITE Extended Stretch 2.

Texted the neighbor today that we will not be coming to their annual holiday party. Per the invite they have cut back on invitations this year, but since a normal year is a very packed house that probably over the evening comes close to 50 people, smaller isn't necessarily small. If were not getting together with our own families, parties with people with who, while we've lived next to them for 23 years we are not more than casual friends.

Valerie I keep hearing how good Queens Gambit is. I stopped my Netflix subscription last spring, with the original plan to start it again this month because I wanted to rewatch season 1-6 of Grace and Frankie and be ready to binge Season 7 in January. But of course, they haven't finished filming season 7 and who knows when they can start again. Sorry the snowshoeing didn't work out too well. Great that you were able to ride today.

Deb, I'm not really sure exactly what the current restriction are right now. Certainly not as restricted as in the spring. K-8 can do in person school, and health practitioners of all types have offices open. Since all I do it shopping and health care appointments, and the boys are home, I didn't pay as close attention as in the past. I can't remember if I did that Live cardio workout or not. You sure got an excellent calorie burn from it!

Diane Sue great job on the workout!

Judy nice workout! I hadn't done much step recently until I got Step Sync and it started me back on a step kick. I try to do one a week.

Carolyn that's great that your daughter will be able to do a lengthy visit. Wow that's a fantastic calorie burn that you got from Cardio Leg Blast!

Yesterday I did Perfect 30 High Impact Hiit+Pyramid cardio Hiit+extended stretch. 49 minutes, heart rate 121/164, 221 calories, 3,798 steps.

Today I was short on time so did Cathe Live Low Impact Cardio sweat and Core, 49 minutes, 254 calories, heart rate 133/165, 2,514 steps. My Fitbit did better today for some reason. I felt it was really loose, but sometimes even loose it does not pick up right. I never understand. I checked out yesterdays live, but when I saw Cathe up in the air I decided I had enough impact for a few days. Also was not ready to do boxing yet. Although this low impact has a few moves I had to be careful of. I really wanted to do some weights for upper, but a bit sore yet this morning, but better. Sleep was sound from around 1-5 then I woke and could not fall back asleep. I really wanted too. I used a vital proteins sleep shot along with New Chapter Magnesium with ashwagandha. You would think I would stay asleep.
I bought the Orgain Keto plant based protein powder yesterday. It is the one Kelly used in her protein bars. It tastes good, but has a lot of fat in it. Avocado oil, coconut oil, and cocoa butter. I only used 1 scoop as two scoops are a serving and that would make the container 10 servings along with 190 calories. If doing Keto I am sure that that is useful. 0 cholesterol though. It is the first plant based I don't hate.

Judy, nice work on Burn Sets Legs heavy weights and the Jessica Smith Walk. I have so many workouts and then with the streaming, a lot get ignored till I start getting bored and then go back to some of the older goodies.

Valerie, I hope that you had a good ride today. We just put our house up for sale. My husband wants to get away from having the upstairs. They took pictures last week and came yesterday and put up the lock box. We do not have a sign up. A lot of houses in this area have sold without signs and very fast. My husband also wants to move closer to his job. It is a good time to sell, but I am not really ready for it.

Carolyn, nice work on Cardio leg blast. That is another one that it has been so long since I have done it that I barely remember which one it is. Is it the one with some high step cardio in between weights? That is wonderful that your daughter will be able to come and visit for a month. I bet you are excited.

Cathy, I went to Sprouts and got some groceries and got a lot of my things like baggies, laundry soap etc delivered by Amazon. I am letting my grandson borrow my car till Monday as I need it Tuesday. He is trying to get his car fixed and had it towed somewhere. He needed a way to work this weekend. His two roomates have been able to help get him to and from work during the week. One was able to bring him over after work today. I could drive my husband's Taurus, but I don't like driving it. It seems so big when I am used to driving my little Chevy Spark. Maybe your neighbor was expecting not all of who she invites this year to come so the crowd might be even smaller. I get why you would not want to go to their party.

skipped exercise yesterday. got major grocery shopping done in the afternoon but it was too close to dinner for anything.
today is supposed to be wet but not so far this morning.

Carolyn have you found lower point bars that taste OK? I bought a Quest bar last week. 4 points. DH and I took a tiny bite of it when skiing. Blech. inedible! spit-out bad. tasted like frozen glue held together wood particles so spit it out, tossed the rest. I don't make bars a big part of my diet, but 7 points for a Luna or Kind bar is a big hit. I've reduced times I allow myself to have one but outdoor winter sports need a snack. I'm sure he will lose weight even if he has one occasionally but I am stuck in a holding pattern for months now, and looking to trim corners. I'm going to pose the question on connect but I've never gotten much response. IMO "protein" bars in general are not edible so maybe I'm asking an unanswerable question. .

diane sue that's a surprise. we havent moved in a long time and it would be quite the undertaking. too much "stuff". funny how we get used to a car. I drive an old subaru forester. it fits me nicely, I can see out of windows without stretching. we have a newer forester DH drives that is bigger. it takes me 15 min to adjust everything if I want to drive it, and I still feel like a dwarf in it. just grabbing the seat belt is a struggle since I need to get the seat forward so I can reach pedals, and then seat belt attachment looks like its for the back seat.

This morning I did a timesaver from X Train Bis and Tris + Core 1. My time was 47 minutes with 213 calories burned. My average heart rate was 114 and maximum heart rate was 258.

Valerie, I gave up on protein or energy bars. I didn’t find any that I liked enough to use my points for them. WW sold some that people liked, but I rarely purchase their products. The Queen’s Gambit looks like something that I would enjoy, but I don’t subscribe to Netflix. Fargo didn’t appeal to me.

Diane Sue, nice job with P30 High Impact HiiT + Pyramid Cardio HiiT and Extended Stretch, and Live Low Impact Cardio Sweat and Core. Cardio Leg Blast has mostly floor cardio between the weight segments. There is some step cardio like step up and touch down on the regular step. I use New Chapter brand vitamins and fish oil. They are the only vitamins that don’t make me feel sick after taking them.

Cathy, great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body and LiTE Extended Stretch. I don’t blame you for passing on your neighbor’s holiday party. I’m glad that you mentioned Grace and Frankie. That’s something I wanted to see. I need to keep a list of shows to watch like Valerie does.

Lori, I have been wondering if you are becoming a Tampa Bay Buccaneers football fan. Do you have divided loyalties now that TB plays for them?

Hello to Judy and Deb.

carolyn I cant imagine anyone not liking Queens Gambit.
I liked the first two seasons of Fargo as well as the movie. third and fourth seasons were not similar. the first two seasons were violent but quirky and funny, clever. #3,4 did not hit me the same way at all.
not sure netflix will share queens gambit series soon. it was a big hit for them.
My movie list is on paper. gets added to/ entries crossed off as we see things. sometimes a series starts on one streaming service and shows up on another service a years later, so an ongoing list saves a lot of false starts. also keeps track of things you started and didn't finish., I hate wasting time going back over things that didn't work and usually you can tell in a few minutes if you’ve seen something begore

I got responses on my connect post. Built bars get more positives than any others. I've never come across them and I don't like to mail order a whole box of something untried. I like trail mix too but I can eat too much, while a bar is one and done.

did 30 min on mt bike this morning in the neighborhood. there was too much frost on the road to be safe so only one careful circuit around the neighborhood.

Cathy wise to give regrets to the party and skip. I have no need to attend a potential superspreader event. No party is worth the risk so wise to say no thank you .

Last edited:
Today I did Live Jingle all the Way 277, 53 minutes, 196 calories, 112/165 heart rate, 2,653 steps. I did the cardio twice which was 10 minutes so that other 10 minutes was 54 calories. I forgot to start my Fitbit back up after pausing at the end of the warm up. When I finished the cardio I realized what I had done so did it again and figured how many calories for the amount of time spent, if that makes since. So add 54 more calories. I then did Perfect 30 Flow mobility stretch timesaver, 20 minutes, 23 calories, heart rate 80/107. Total time 83 minutes, 273 calories, 2,711 steps + whatever I got for steps for the first 10 minutes which I bet was over 1000. At the end of workout I was at 4,819 steps.
Jingle all the Way 49 minutes #277 live
5,8,10,12,15 lb dumbbells and mat for floor
each segment it done for approx 10 minutes cardio, legs, upper and core
8 minute warm up
cardio 10 minutes
legs

15# dbs static lunge right 8 reps 8 deadlifts static lunge left 8 deadlifts
10# dbs 28 reps alternating side lunge
15# db lunges pulsing 32 reps right 32 reps left 15 reps right 15 reps left lunges pulsing
no weight alternating side to side leg raise then single alternating
15# dbs cross back lunges alternating various reps
plie squat 15# dbss 8 singles 4 pulses 8 singles
Upper
overhead press 10# dbs (me 8's) 8 reps then 4 1 and 1/2 then 8 43ps
upright row 12# dbs 8 then 4 1 and 1/2
biceps curls12# dbs various half way and all the way
curls 10# dbs curls hold and turn right, turn left, just curls
triceps 12# dbs overhead extensions single then 1 and 1/2s
kickbacks 12# dbs 16 reps
Mat
triceps push ups on knees
close grip and flat bench 12# dbs
regular push ups 16 reps
cathe forgot lateral raise so front raise lateral raise 5# dbs
Core
8# dbs leg extension with flys
single crunch (I think)
pull over sit up leg raise
hold in what I would call a boat hold
I missed something here
bicycles
crunch with knee ins
side leg lift and knee in
ending with a plank hold
stretch

Valerie, I loved my Explorer that I had before the Spark. I felt I was up high enough and sat up high enough that I could see all around myself well and it was not so huge that it was difficult with parking. My husband sold it and gave me the Spark when he got the Lincoln which my grandson now has. The Spark has a lot more head room and space in it than one would think. We take it when we go pick up wood and things from Home Depot. The back seats lie down and the hatch opening makes it easy. My husband never liked the big front window, but I like it. I did not want him to tint it, which he always wants to do. I used to buy Quest bars. Some were good and some awful,. If you look there are variations in sweeteners and sugar alcohols. I always looked for ones without a lot of sugar alcohols. I am not a fan of a lot of those bars. I use RX bars which probably would not be great with weight watchers. They are chewy and depending on which one have nuts in them. limited to something like 4 ingredients. They are made with dates and almond butter. I usually only buy maple sea salt and if I can find them the chocolate raspberry. Otherwise they are not wonderful. The Bulletproof collagen bars are more like eating a sugar free shortbread cookie. I think they have stevia in them. Lots of fat. My husband and I both like the One chocolate coconut protein bars. I quit buying them because of the saturated fat. I doubt anything weight watchers approved would be hard to find. I like the kind bars dark chocolate with coffee. We are going on 7 years since we bought this house and it looks a whole lot better than what it looked like when we moved into it. A lot of updates have been done by us.

Carolyn, nice work with X Train bis, tris, and core. I like these magnesium ashwagandha capsules. I have bought New Chapter here and there. I try to stick with well known brands. The Bluebonnet brand products that are based in Texas seem to be growing in the industry. I can get them delivered from Whole Foods now and they are in Sprouts. I have been buying them for awhile through Amazon after reading reviews and someone had said their doctor had recommended that brand in particular for something they needed. They even have protein powder. I got Paradise multi plant based multi this last time. They have a lot of stuff in them and I felt comparable to some others that cost a lot more money like Ancient Nutrition womens that I take a lot of the time.

Speaking of protein bars, I just made some that Kelly posted on her streaming In the Kitchen with Kelly. I want to try them again with almond butter instead of peanut butter. I think I like the protein balls she made before better. Maybe because those she added agave to and I used honey in them. The bars do not have added sweetener and she added some water. Both have protein powder and oatmeal along with peanut butter. Although she suggests you can use almond butter in the protein balls. They are really good. I went to grab one of the bars this morning and my granddaughter had eaten lot of them yesterday. I put extra dark chocolate chips and some flax seed in. Kelly used a spoon of blackseed and said you can add cranberries or something. They have to be refrigerated though to keep them firm so not good for dragging around I don't think. Kelly says they are easy when she is headed out the door to the gym.

I did P30 Low Impact Hiit today and followed it up with Mobility. My hamstrings are really unhappy with me after yesterdays leg workout. We ditched the possessed car the boys had taken to college, and DH and Nick went and looked at potential replacements today. We'll see what happens. DH is paying for it, they are driving it and I don't have to be involved and I am totally good with that. I have my little blue Yaris and I'm quite happy with her.

Diane Sue great workout! It is actually a couple guys next door. They have 2 big parties a year. A pool party in the summer (both are very handy and they have created a set up that includes a covered area with a kitchen and they have seating for at least 50 people on the deck/under cover) and the Christmas party. Sam loves to feed people and makes a ton of food. We are not fond of the summer one as they have a live band that plays till after midnight.

Valerie sorry you only ended up with a short ride this morning, but a short ride is certainly better than none.

Carolyn nice job on the workout!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.