Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/17

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I did do an agility class with Kylee.

Valerie, glad your leg is almost back to normal. I will Google "bees" and see what all the differences are. The Panera near us ihas been there for years. I think they added the drive through recently. I found the "copycat" recipe for the Fuji Apple Chicken salad...I will be getting the ingredients and making that soon. What ever happened with the girl with the gate?

Carolyn, is it "Y is for Yesterday"? I have that one on request at the library.

Diane Sue, I also sometimes set up a workout plan, and find that I dread it....I usually change it or sub out the "dreaded" workouts with something I like. I have not done KCM YouTube's in a while...should go back to some of them.

Lori, hope your conference is going well.

I have tickets with my cousin today to see my niece in a local production of "9-5"....it should be fun....

Take care,

Off to do a mt bike before the weather deteriorates. Deb, if it's a good salad... I've had good luck with copycat recipes.. please post a link . yesterday was busy and so is today. haven't had a chance to look up bees & wasps.

No workout scheduled for today, this is a rest day. After my experience last week with the prolonged power outage, I have decided to order a French press coffee maker and a manual coffee grinder. My efforts to crush coffee beans with a hammer and boil and strain the coffee were really funny after the fact! I plan to be better prepared for the next time.

Deb, yes I am reading Y is for Yesterday. I don't remember reading any of her books after T is for Trespass. I plan to check the library for them.

Diane Sue, if you are dreading the workouts in your plan it's definitely time to switch up a bit.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Today is a rest day. Just mostly resting. I am tired today. I made dog treats for Gertie. I have baby food on my list to try something a bit different. I just made the usual, but I have recently lowered the fat and today instead of all coconut oil, I used 1 Tbs coconut oil and 1 Tbs of peanut butter with a Tablespoon of pumpkin. They turned out well and Gertie likes them. I needed some for upstairs. That is where I usually keep a bag of Blue Basics salmon treats. I don't want to go to the pet store and when I was ordering the add on item from Amazon when purchasing her dog food I discovered the add on was a smaller bag of treats than the one I purchased at the pet store. The price per ounce would be about the same in the long run. Not a savings.

Deb, it is the upper body weight work that I am not looking forward to from X Train. Right now I am experiencing discomfort in my neck and shoulder where I had the biopsy almost a year ago. The lymph nodes are swollen up and it feels like there is a knot where they had done the biopsy. I don't know if the workouts from RWH etc.. aggravated it or what. It feels somewhat better today. The therapy balls helped the knot. Anyway, I told my husband I am not going to the doctor about it because those tests were painful and I am not ready to go through all that again for nothing. I will go for my regular exams around December. I think I may just do what I feel is not going to aggravate the area for now.
I was watching some of Kelly's stuff on Instagram last night. She is in such great shape.

Carolyn, I love my French Press coffee maker. I buy the beans and use it every day. I have looked at the hand turning burr coffee grinders. I have read that you get a more even grind with a good burr grinder. I have a Kitchenaid electric grinder right now. I can't imagine trying to hammer out the beans. Generally I have some ground coffee in the cupboard for family that wants to make it in my regular coffee maker. I think that my daughter in law has all of those books. We used to join book clubs and share book series. Then she shared her Nook books with me later. She loves to read.

rode for an hour and a half this morning, until it started getting busy with horse people around 10;30. got out of there! good ride, very dry and dusty.

we have a French press but I've only used it a few times. we have a small espresso maker we like better. I buy beans & have them ground at starbucks every week. I hated grinding my own, especially getting it fine enough for espresso machine. flew everywhere and made a mess. when the power is out, we retreat to our camper and use propane stove to heat water and make do with Via instant. use it for camping too. I like my one cup caffeinated, sometimes a second one, but DH has to do mostly decaf due to caffeine being a migraine trigger. easiest for us to make one cup at a time of what we need. I cannot imagine hammering beans down to get a fine grain! that sounds impossible! I can buy espresso roast in caffeinated and decaffeinated every week. I love coffee black or with nonfat milk. I do not like sweet or fat in my coffee.

Deb remember when I was looking for a way to get strong coffee that was portable? you told me about those tiny tubs of concentrated black coffee? I forget what they are called. I now get a bottle of cold brew plain black coffee ... think it's Gevalia ... that I can mix with ice and some nonfat and take with me. I like it better than starbucks double shots, and I didn't need 180 calories with cream. .

I've read a little about bees wasps hornets, and not sure I can do any better than identify what stung me as a yellowjacket due to nest in the ground and aggression. insects are not simple.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Am not feeling well.

Valerie, will post the link when I try the salad. Did not get out to get the ingredients yesterday. I did Google about bees etc, and it gave some of the differences. Basically, bees, whether YJ or bumble bee, or honey, have a yellow furry body, while wasps and hornets do not. Those shots are called STOK....I used to get them on Ebay, but you can probably find them on Amazon. I could not find any in stores around here. They used to have them at the coffee bars in the convenience stores like 7-11. That is how I found them.

Carolyn, you need to catch up on the "alphabet"....LOL....The only thing I don't like about French press coffee makers is the clean up.

Diane Sue, can you swap the upper body workouts with a different series, one that you like better? I don't blame you for not wanting to do those tests again. I remember how it was for you the last time.

Take care,

thanks I was thinking it was SKOL. I found it at a 7/11. I decided I don't need them often, so the refrigerated cold brew works fine for me. I try not to overdo caffeine since it messes up my sleep by not wearing off as quickly as I expect. Hope you feel better today. I did not sleep well last night for no reason, and am dragging this morning.

I make an apple and chicken salad that is good. the dressing uses boiled down, concentrated apple cider. that is the only part that takes a while. I love fruit and chicken together in a salad so always on the lookout for new ideas. Making DH a peach crisp right now. He will eat the whole thing. I allow myself a teaspoon. I used to be able to eat a serving occasionally but my metabolism just doesn't burn it off anymore.
also making a pan of lasagna for travel next week. makes an easy dinner. I am trying to do serious cooking here so I can freeze and transport to our new house. my plan is to keep cooking there to less than here. not "no cooking" but easier faster things so we can enjoy activities there.

Today I just did X Train Supercuts, 47 minutes, 280 calories, 1,460 steps, heart rate 114 average, 148 max. I find it interesting that Fit Bit has changed my V02 max from just the > 128 excellent to now 44-48. It used to be around 38 with the Polar. If I change it from 28 to 44 on my calories burned app it gives me a significant increase in calorie burn which would have been net calories 253 at 28 v02 max to 326 at v02 max 44.
Just interesting to see what makes a difference in how calories are calculated. Map My Fitness had me at 329 calories. I am still unsure if I want to go on with the rotation I week I wrote up for this week. If I do tomorrow would be Burn sets bis and tris. I may switch it around with the tabatacise workout I had planned for Wednesday. I have lots of busy days ahead this week and we have to take my car in to get repaired Wednesday morning along with family dinner Wednesday evening. I need to go grocery shopping and am hoping my car will start after each stop I have to make. My husband had to take his car to work today instead of the bank because it has been raining.

Valerie, my favorite is Camelian Cold Brew. I often buy the mocha flavored. They are not sweetened. It makes excellent iced coffee and if you want hot you add some water and heat. No brewing. I believe they say it is lower acid for those with issues as well. I have made my own. It takes a lot of coffee to come up with the cold brew concentrate. Also it is not decaf which is what I use most of the time. I find the one draw back with french press is that if you do not have a mainly coarse grind you get a lot of powder residue at the bottom of the cup which makes me cough. I try not to grind to much, but still get an uneven grind. That is why a good burr grinder is supposed to be better. I have tried to grind fine enough for expresso. The cheaper grinders do not do as well. I used to keep instant in our fifth wheel on hand , but had a small Mr Coffee maker that I could use as well. The cold brew would be an excellent option to take along. We kept the fifth wheel pretty well stocked so it didn't take long to take off somewhere. I avoid caffeine because of sleep issues. I think I get some from Kombucha tea which I drink a bottle once in awhile. I like fruit with chicken in salads as well. I printed up the panera aisian salad and plan on picking up ingredients when I go to the grocery store. Lasagne is always easy to heat up. I am doing enchiladas for Wednesday because I can make ahead on Tuesday for the family. I would probably want to eat the whole peach crisp myself too :)

Deb, I bought a stainless steel french press coffee pot at Amazon recently. I have went through 3 glass ones that got broken. This one had some handy clean up instructions for quick clean up. You empty your grounds. squirt a bit of dish soap in add some water and put the filter plunger lid back on and pump it up and down. Then rinse it all. It is quick and cleans it up nicely without taking it all apart. I hope you get some rest and feel better. I am still looking at this rotation , and may change. I just need some time to look it over.

Last edited:
Today was D 16 Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps. Total time was1 hour 25 minutes and 279 calories. Average heart rate was 101 and maximum heart rate was 132. I followed up with the Extended Stretch for 15 minutes. The stretch really feels good.

I like a good strong cup of black coffee with nothing added. I haven't tried cold brew because I don't care for cold coffee. I didn't realize there are so many options for a French press. I need to look a bit longer to decide on one. It's something I have thought about buying many times because people say that the coffee is so much better. I have a burr grinder that works very well. I use the other little grinder for grinding flax seeds and spices.

Greetings to everyone and have a great day.

Carolyn, you can heat cold brew coffee. It just has the name for the fact is it brewed in the refrigerator for a longer period of time and is more like a coffee concentrate that you add water or other liquid too.

Thanks Diane Sue. I wasn't thinking when I said that ;)! I ordered a stainless steel French press from Amazon this afternoon. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Reactions: WD
I never heated it but good to know that works. I mix some with milk/ice for a little caffeine boost on a hike. since it's strong, it doesn't get too dilute. I can put it in a screw top so I can make as much as I want and recap. once you open a double shot can... you drink it or dump it. Carolyn when I used our French press I had a lot of sediment at the bottom. maybe I ground it too fine?
My teaspoon of peach crisp was good! probably the last of the good peaches for the year. I use the same recipe for pear or apple crisp .

Carolyn, I really like my Stainless steel french press. The nice thing about french press is you always start with a clean pot and there is not yucky taste from the parts of the coffee maker or worry about molds in the tubing and parts that you cannot get to to scrub.

Valerie, Cameleon Cold Brew comes in a bottle with serving size markings on the outside. I open, pour out what I want and put it back in the refrigerator. I think they have started making some individual bottles that I saw at Homeland.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, The STOK add about 40 mg of caffeine to whatever you put it in. I did not use them that way. I used them to wake up when I was getting up at 4:30 to work out before work. It was easier than waiting for coffee to brew. I just chugged 2 of them from the little containers. You would like the Fuji Apple salad. Peach crisp sounds really good. I would eat a lot of it too. Could never just have a teaspoon!

Diane Sue, I have never researched the calorie burn info....I just go with whatever my Polar says. I bought a bottle of Kombucha tea recently....it is way too carbonated for me. I didn;t even think about the caffeine in it. I sure hope that was your computer inserting "laundry" soap and that is not what they told you to use to wash the French press...:). I also. didn't realize you could heat Cold Brew....interesting.

Carolyn, I am with you...when I drank coffee, it was with nothing in it. I used to use milk, but didn't like how it was never consistent...depending on where you were...eg...sometimes people had half and half, sometimes 2& milk etc. John always drank it black, and said I should try that, so I did, and never went back to adding anything.

Take care,

Deb, that is odd, I am sure I typed dish soap :) Not all Kombucha is carbonated like that. I almost always get a ginger one and I like the carbonation. There is one brand that is Raw Kombucha, I can't remember the exact name, that is all natural ingredients and does not have the carbonation. When I made my own it did not have the carbonation. It was still good though. I liked to put raspberries in it while it had the second setting period in the jars. I would strain them out later and organic tea works the best. I made decaf before. The thing is, if everything is not right it won't have enough of what it needs to make the bacteria that forms the new scoby from the mother. It is an interesting process. I will go fix the laundry soap so someone doesn't think I put laundry soap in my coffee pot LOL

Diane sue I'm stunned with what autocorrect comes up with when I saw I typed in the correct letters, and it decides it knows better. it can distort what you just said into nonsense. of course, sometimes it's terrific so I try to reread what I type so I am sure it makes sense. I haven't seen that brand of cold brew. I tried this one because it was a new item at a great price, and shelf stable until open.
they were sampling kombucha at Costco not long ago and I tasted some. Okay, but it wasn't anything I' d buy. it was mildly carbonated.

we got pretty weird about coffee when DH was tapering off caffeine due to it being a migraine trigger for him. we were making a pot of brewed coffee and I had to gradually change the ratio of caffeinated to decaf so it wasn't an abrupt change. I missed the caffeine. we dumped half the pot every day. switched to an espresso with some steamed nonfat so we each get our own cup. he still poaches some of mine. we both ended up drinking less coffee but get what we want. when we are camping we use Via instant, café and decaf, with powdered milk. no way to steam milk in the camper and cold milk cools it off too much.

I did all of high reps yesterday including abs. the transitions are too darn fast to make weight adjustments on a bar, so I get quite a few short pauses.

I am still itchy around the YJ bite area and a few inches around it. swelling is gone. DH looked at it with a magnifying glass and said there might be more than one sting mark but very close together so hard to be sure. I will try harder to avoid this in the future although this was so fast there was nothing to be done.

Last edited:
Today I did Hard Strikes with no conditioning exercises for 37 minutes. Total calories burned was 289, average heart rate 136, and maximum heart rate 163.

Hello to everyone.

Today I did what I had planned for today and tomorrow since I have to to take my car in and family dinner. I will do the abs tomorrow and if time a bit of cardio. I did X Train Tabatacise, 48 minutes, 348 calories, average heart rate 140, max 166, 4,117 steps. I then did X Train Burn Sets Bis and Tris, 42 minutes, 153 calories heart rate 102 average, max 144, 668 steps. Total time was 90 minutes, 501 calories.
weights
standing biceps curls 20, 17.5, 17.5, x 10,10,11 reps
simultaneous rotational curl 20, 20, 20 x 10,10,10 reps
concentration curl 20, 20, 20, x 10,10,10 reps
hammer curl crazy eights 15's x 24 reps
triceps push ups combo 4 times, 2 times 2 times
flat bench triceps extensions dumbbells, 17.5, 15,15 x 10, 10, 12 reps
one arm kickbacks, 15,15,15, x 10,10, 12 reps
tubing overhead double arm extension

Valerie, a while back I sent a text to my daughter and I said something about putting my grandson's cup in the refrigerator. She sent back a laugh because it said I put the rat in the refrigerator. What is weird is things don't always make since with what they come up with because it is not even similar. I need to look up the one I tried before that is non carbonated. The only thing was, I didn't care for it. It was not hardly sweet at al and some of their flavor combinations were odd. Usually Kombucha is somewhat sweet. I generally only get the Gingerade in GTS and Kevita I get the ginger. I have tried other flavors but some had too much juice added to them. The Gingerade is not too sweet with plenty of ginger. It does have carbonation though. I don't think Kevita is pure Kombucha because reading the ingredients they have added probiotics and the carbonation, it is a tad sweeter.. I find myself putting my coffee in the microwave after I add the cream or coconut milk. I should just heat the milk. I like it steaming hot.

Carolyn, good calorie burn on that one.

Good morning.

No workout....still not well....

Diane Sue, I will definitely look for a non-carbonated kumbucha next time. The Co-op near us actually has it in kegs, where you can get a growler, or other quantities. I just bought a bottle. It sounds like a lot of work to make.

Valerie, it sounds like your leg is getting back to normal....slowly. I don't think there was anything you could have done to prevent it.

Hello to Judy, Lori, Carolyn...

Take care,

Deb-I'm sorry you aren't feeling well :( Hope you feel better soon.

Valerie-Great job with High Reps! I need to do that one soon. I know I would like it.

Diane Sue-Awesome workouts as always!

Carolyn-Great job with Hard Strikes! That's a good one.

Hi to Lori!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.