Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/28

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

We got back yesterday. A nice relaxing trip. John got in a lot of fishing, which apparently was very good. I relaxed with the dogs, read a lot.

Valerie, I was a little concerned about the traffic due to the holiday weekend, but it was fine. We don't get the traffic that they have in higher populated areas. That hike where you had to lay on the ground etc. sounds really scary! I remember that I did not mind ferris wheels when I was younger, but don't think I would go on one today. I'm sure I posted here about 5 years ago when Nick Wolenda walked across Niagara Falls on a tightrope? It was unbelievable.

Lori, glad you made it to the Cape safely. We went to Provincetown once, and the drive from Boston to there wasn't too bad, but this was the weekend after Labor Day. Everyone had gone home apparently. The town seemed very quiet. I really liked it there. Thanks for the review of the Live travel workout...I need to do that one. I saw the clip and it looked really tough. KCM has a 2nd lower body RAW workout? wow, I wonder why she is doing this?

Diane Sue, a nice ride and lunch sounds great! Have fun with the grandchildren and birthday dinner. We charged John's FitBit, I am going to start wearing it to see about my sleep patterns.

Carolyn, outdoor farmer's markets are so nice! Also the local grown food cannot be beat.

Judy, what are your plans for the weekend?

A workout, then maybe off to get some flowers for pots in the yard and porch. I wish I hadn't put this off until now....the nurseries will be packed with people today, I'm sure,

Have a great weekend!

Deb, just getting away from everyday stuff and totally relaxing sounds nice. I think that Kelly maybe is thinking of drawing in more customers by putting herself out there or maybe going to streaming like others are doing. I like her raw workouts that I have done. I think she says this lower one is missing the stretch and a tiny bit of the end because the camera battery ran out. Amy Bento Ross is doing the same thing. Things are changing and I like my dvds myself:(
I would like to get some flowers to fill my now empty pots and set them around our entry area. I almost got some at Walmart , but too crowded.
I only got 6 minutes of deep sleep night before last. I could tell, as I was dragging all day long. I looked up what is considered good and it is I believe 20% deep, 25% rem( I may have those turned around) 55% light) Most recovery, mental focus, mood etc. Comes from the deep and rem sleep. This answers why some people seem to be able to be fully fine with less sleep if they are getting plenty of removing and deep sleep. Unfortunately every night I get more remember sleep I have dreams and a some of those turn to nightmares. My husband says he fixes his when he is asleep. I am usually to sound asleep to do that. Once I wake I don't want to sleep anymore.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am finishing up my active rest week with a total rest day today, and possibly tomorrow. We have been working on things around the condo and are getting ready to make a trip to Lowes and Home Depot to pick up some supplies. We're replacing some bathroom fixtures and doing some decluttering.

Deb-We don't have any special plans, just doing things around home. Storms are in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, hopefully they won't be too bad.

Diane Sue-I really need to work on the deep sleep too. I need to analyze my fitbit data more, but I know it's been pretty low.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll post more later.

Judy

Good afternoon ladies!

This morning was BBS Signature DVD Full body. The arms and leg portion in this workout are really great. Love how I feel afterwards. I then followed up with the last SB workout I wanted to do to end her rotation. 67 mins/465 cal. SB has a bootcamp rotation starting up in a week. I am sure I will hop on that wagon! One more week of the BBS rotation. I may do this again when I start SB's rotation but mix up the dance workouts and sub in more tramp workouts. When I get home I would like to try out the KCM raw workouts while continuing with BBS.

Deb....sounds like a nice relxaxing trip. We miss our doggies and can't wait to see them tomorrow. The travel live was tough and had core throughout. If I am going to do core in a workout I like it throughout rather than all at once at the end. So this was good. I agree with what Diane Sue mentioned about fitness people doing more youtube and getting themselves out there. I love it so bring it on!

Diane Sue...I am finding I like the live streaming workouts better than dvds. To me I feel like I really am working out right there with them. I also think the instructor is more relaxed and not so formal. I like this. Looking forward to Amy Bento's YouTube workouts. I just signed on for a year with Bellicon Streaming. They are having a special that ends today. 50% off annual membership. Total price was $44.94 for the year so being a sucker for a bargain I signed on! Works out to $3.75 a month. Can't beat that. Should you be interested ... Link is http://be360.us11.list-manage1.com/...e1551c7b6263ccfdc1&id=1d5b061633&e=505598cedc, and the code is FIFTYBHOMEOFF pretty sure it ends today though.

Judy... I love decluttering! I cleaned and decluttered a bit before we left. I like coming home to a really clean house after vacation. However, now that my son is back home, thinking it will not be as clean as I like!

Hi to everyone!!!

Today is my rest day also. We don't have special plans but will grill some chicken this afternoon and I am making that broccoli and apple salad. It rained this morning and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow, but this afternoon should be okay for getting outside. I want to get some colorful plants for the deck and get some herbs planted this week. We have a lot of shade with no good spot for a garden so most of my herbs and seasonal flowers are in pots.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Today is normally a rest day, but since my workout time is questionable the first part of the week I decided to do something short this morning. I did the timesaver pre-mix Blizzard blast from Ice Low Impact Sweat, 20 minutes, 148 calories, heart rate avg. 134/ max 166. I need to get things ready for the grandchildren tomorrow. I pick them up in the morning. At least the little ones. My grandson will drive himself over. Family will be over for dinner tomorrow. I have made an oreo ice cream cake for my grandson's birthday and have the stuff for alfredo since that is his favorite. It won't be a healthy eating day other than the kale salad. We are also have lasagna. I believe I counted 14 for dinner. I am setting up a small pool for the little ones. We could go up the street to our neighborhood pool, but I worry about the 3 year old. He has a vest. I noticed at my daughter's he would either stand on the top step (ours only has a ladder) or hang over the side precariously to play and throw things in. I thought a small pool in our yard might be in order. It is just a little over a foot deep. I used to have a 2 foot for them, but left it behind when we moved.

Judy, I put my Fit Bit in the charger in the mornings while I am sitting having my coffee and reading before I workout, since I am not active then. That way it has a charge for the over nights and I am not worrying about it needing charged mid day. I bought a free standing charger off of Amazon so I don't have to plug it up to my computer and take it out of the frame every time. That was the one thing about the blaze I was worried about is snapping it in and out of the frame all the time. We had storms in other parts of the state yesterday. One area had grapefruit sized hail :O It missed us though, I just heard some thunder. It is always nice to have the clutter cleared out and fix some things. My husband replaced a dead bolt and door knob this morning. We still have to key it to match the other keypad lock and deadbolt. I realized I need to paint the walls of the Sun Room. For whatever reason someone was creative in there and it is cream with a rust red color and olive green trim. Not very pretty. You can see in there from the living room.

Lori, thanks for the link. I wish there were video clips. I guess there are different instructors? I should try one out first and check it out. I see they have a free trial. Relaxed and not so formal is sometimes more fun. Although I have dvds that feel very informal and relaxed. Like Urban Rebounding Extreme. Most looked like they just got up and threw on whatever clothes they hang in at home and made a workout. They joke around in some and one of them had another instructor pop in after they started. I think I would have liked a bit more formal stuff to it. I like the not so formal live Cathe workouts. I think music is not always wonderful in some, but that goes with both. I do not like the music on URX , but like the workouts enough to ignore it. For me there has to be good music and I prefer they speak English :) I know that doesn't bother you, but I would like to know the cues and what they are saying. I think if I had a choice of live streaming I would like to get Les Mills Pump for awhile to try. But, more rebounding options is good too.

Carolyn, my entire back yard is shade so I have to work even to have grass. There are two huge oaks on the outside of the fence that shade the yard. Then anything up against the house is covered by the eaves. I have my flowers all in pots so I can move them around a bit. It is too hot on the concrete so I am limited there to a small planter where I sit the pots on the rock.

We did a road ride this morning, 25 miles 2 hrs 9 minutes. time included a bathroom and snack stop so we are riding faster than ever. this is on roads, and sometimes it is faster than the trail. no stroller moms to avoid. traffic was very light.

I'm going to stick in a link to the hike that I talked about last week, where I was scared to death when I finally got up to the lookout. I do NOT want you to think I am grandstanding here! pictures can be deceiving. Yes, it was definitely hard, a lot of work to get up there, but it is not as difficult as the pictures make it look. pics, especially with snow, flatten out the terrain. the 3 ladders going up the last bit to the lookout were really scary. the lookout itself is on a slanted rock surface with horizontal ropes to give places to grip.
we did this a few years ago as a day hike. up and back in a day. the road has since washed out, so to get there now you need to ride a mt bike for about 8 miles, do the hike both directions, then ride 8 miles back to your car. would be hard to do in a day. people also can take overnight gear and spend the night making it a 2 day trip. I hated!! being in the lookout, we only did it once. it is a lovely spot though. I can see the mountain from my home. Three Fingers. https://www.google.com/search?q=thr...AhUH52MKHausAsoQsAQISQ&biw=1920&bih=923&dpr=1 we have hiked a lot, this is probably the hardest technically that I have ever done. once.

Judy I was thinking about you and your kitties. In about the last month, my kitty has decided he likes chicken. he never would eat canned soft cat food, so I tried giving little pieces of chicken off my plate.. he was hesitant at first, but now he is sitting in my chair, WAITING for me to bring my plate to the table, RUNS over, gets underfoot, and dives in, chows down every particle. it's just plain chicken but it such a kick to see him so excited about a food. he will eat little bits of plain white fish too, but chicken really gets him revved up!

Last edited:
Valerie-our kitties love plain chicken! That is so cute that your kitty sits in your chair and waits for you :)

Good morning,

No workout yesterday...just not feeling it. Maybe I will try something today. It's starting to rain right now so no yard work for a while anyway.

Diane Sue, I like Kelly, hope she keeps the RAW workouts going, Not sure if I would pay for her streaming though. I guess it depends on the cost. I tried to set up John's FitBit with my data, but it would not synch to my phone. :(. Not sure why. Do you know how to shut the thing off completely? It never turns off. Part of the set up process is assuming that it is new out of the box and has not been turned on yet. That sleep information is very interesting...What is "removing sleep"? An oreo ice cream cake sounds delicious. :) I am really surprised on how often the FitBit has to be charged....not a good feature...something you think they would improve on. How can you measure steps etc if it has to be in the charger at least once a day?

Judy, it always feels good afterward when you spend some time doing things around the house, especially de-cluttering. We are supposed to get some rain/storms today too.

Lori, great workouts as usual!~ :). I hope your trip home is not very congested with everyone trying to get home. I think I will try to find more workouts with the core throughout...maybe not so much dread factor when you only have to do one or two, then move on to something else.

Carolyn, putting herbs in pots is a great thing! This way they are contained, and not getting weeds etc.

Valerie, great pictures! That ladder is not something I would/could ever climb up!

Not sure what we will do today, especially if it continues to rain. Good thing we didn't put off the Home Depot trip for today...

Have a great day!

Hi Everyone,

Chris's aunt passed away yesterday. :( We found out late last night. She had been having health issues the past few years and recently had heart surgery. We will be going to Indiana later this week for a few days for the visitation and funeral. My SIL & BIL will be driving out from Colorado to be there too.

Valerie-Three Fingers is beautiful! It looks like a wonderful and challenging place to hike.

Deb-it's sunny here today. You must be getting the weather we had yesterday. I haven't tried the RAW workouts yet, maybe I will try one today. I'm not sure I would pay for her streaming either. I do love her workouts but I have all of her dvds, and I don't do her workouts as often as I do Cathe's. Like you said, it depends on the cost. If it was <$10 a month I would probably do it.

Diane Sue-I usually charge my fitbit in the mornings while I'm having my coffee too. I'll have to look at that free standing charger. We ended up missing the worst storms yesterday. We had mostly rain.

Lori-Great job with the workouts!

Carolyn-I will be grilling some chicken today too, and a couple of strip steaks. The broccoli and apple salad sounds good!

Hope everyone has a good Memorial Day!

Judy

Judy so sorry to about the death of chris's aunt.

3 fingers was a lovely place but it has gotten too complicated now. we wont go back. It was a long day getting was a "long grind" during conditions we went. we needed ice axes but no crampons. usually need to carry them with you anyway, because when you need them, you need them! I was just too spooked up in the lookout to think it was fun. there are vertical 3 ladders tied to the rocks. they are scary but not really dangerous. there are many f forest service lookouts where people spend the night on a first come basis. so if another party shows up, you have to share a tiny one room cabin because there is no other place. risky if you want any privacy and sleep.

we are having a stretch of lovely weather, just sunny and warm. DH went for a ride this morning, but we are having people over this afternoon so I'm doing the prep. might get in a weight workout later.
I will be sticking with dvd's. our workout room & old TV will not stream. if we get a new set we might try but there is a lot of 'structure' in between. I'm fine with dvd's anyway so not very motivated.

I like herbs in pots too. I always grow basil and slugs love it. if I do a pot on my deck, it's accessible and warmer and slugs can't get to it. . mint doesn't spread all over! easy access from the kitchen to run out and snip a few springs. I had a big rosemary but it died over winter so have a new one going in a pot. my cilantro always bolts so I gave up and buy it.

Last edited:
Today I did ICE Boot Camp Circuit with the Blizzard Blast. Workout time was 65 minutes. I had to enter my workout manually and the calorie burn seemed too high in my opinion. When I set up my new Fitbit I didn't enable the feature that would track it automatically. I think I have it fixed now.

Deb, the Fitbit doesn't need to be charged every day. Mine usually needs charging every 5-6 days. If I don't charge it at night I will charge it in the morning while I have coffee and read the newspaper.

Valerie the pictures from that park are amazing. It made me dizzy just looking at them! I always grow basil and thyme because I use a lot of those two herbs. I like to have mint and rosemary also.

Judy, sorry to hear about Chris' aunt.

Lori, I'm sure that you enjoyed the Brazilian restaurant. Is it one with that wonderful sampling salad bar? There is one here that everyone loves called Fogo de Chao.

Diane Sue, I hope you are enjoying your family today.

Waving hello to Caitlin.

Good afternoon ladies,

This morning I did Cathe Live Low Impact Cardio Hiit. Was 35 mins (actually less becuase I skiped the cool down to move on) and uses light weights alternating with low impact hiit. Nice little workout. I followed up with SB's Feel Good Cardio and Arms. Has light cardio (which I did on the jumpsport with weights) and the arm portion is a favorite of mine. My arms really felt it from doing the Dance Full Body workout the day before. Will be resting the ams tomorrow. I then did SB's Hip Hop Bounce. 58 mins/ 411 cal. Right now I am at 8,840 steps. Not sure if I will make 10,000 today.

We are home. Arrived at about 2:30pm. We left at 10AM. I guess because of the rainy weather everyone left the Cape at the same time. Took us 2 hours longer than it should have. :( oh well. We plan to go next year at this time but will leave on Tuesday morning to avoid all that traffic.

Diane Sue...I am the same way...if I know I will be busy and workout time is questionable I try and either not have my scheduled rest day or double up my workouts. I am due for a rest day...been 10 days since I have had one. Tomorrow may be one since I know I will want to sleep in. Been up late and sleeping in the past few days. I am completely off my routine. Bellicon has a few instructors and some have nice relaxing bounces others harder. I use 2# ankle weights and 2 to 3# hand weights for the bellicon jumps and feel it really works my legs, arms and core while getting my cardio in. I enjoy what I have done. I need to check out the Urban Extreme workouts. I had the Addition workouts and I never clicked with them. I may have sold them not sure though. Please let me lnow when you hear that Amy Bento has posted her rebounding workouts in case I miss it!

Valerie...that lookout looks amazing but not for me!!! Good for you! Great timing on yesterdays ride! Seems like we have had a month of rain with a little sunshine here and there. So ready for a nice stretch of warm weather!

Carolyn...yes the salad bar is great too. We always love going. Thank goodness it is so far away otherwise we would be there every week! Nice workout today.

Deb...I like Kelly but not enough to stream her. I like her workouts when I do them but I hardly do them! Plus I think I am done with my streaming purchases. Right now I have 4..Cathe, SB, BBS and now Bellicon. If this is not enough variety for me I have issues! Going to try and not purchase anymore dvds for a while either. Key word here is TRY.

Have a great night all!

Today I did Shock Cardio Cardio Blast , 44 minutes, 303 calories, heart rate avg. 128/ max 176. I then did STS abs pilates inspired 22 minutes as Idid side planks twice because I accidentally hit the remote and it went back to menu. It wouldn't chapter forward to my spot. Calories 58 . Total time was 66 minutes, 361 calories.
I sat outside while the little ones played in the pool and ate lunch. It was nice and shady where I have my bench to sit. They had fun. I don't think Gertie was enjoying the squirting guns so much. I got wet too.

Deb, those were word corrections on the word REM. So it was REM not removing sleep. I do the shut down on my watch but it always has my information when I turn it back on. It just reboots it or something. Kind of like turning on the computer. I don't charge it daily. If I let it go it will go for about 3 days and nights. More if I don't use it all night. It does not take very long to get a full charge when I am having coffee. I would guess that you would have to log onto your husband's dashboard and go to the Fit Bit settings. I am not sure if you can change it or you just have to close out his account and set up a whole new dashboard and account for you. That is just a guess. I had looked at the Fit Bit bath scale and after reading that if someone else stands on it can mess up your Fit Bit data that is in your fit bit account because it will use the other person's data in your account. For this reason I changed my mind on getting one.
Added to say, it seems like it would give you the daily readings when you wear the Fit Bit at night if you wore it on consecutive days and nights and still get readings.

Judy, I am sorry to hear about Chris's aunt. My brother and his wife and family are all headed from different areas for his father in law's funeral and to be with her mother. I find that it does not take too long to charge up the Fit Bit in the morning. I bought a usb charging port and keep the free standing Fit Bit charger plugged into it so I just have to pop the watch onto it. I will post a link. I should grill sometime this week. I checked today and I have some steaks and briquettes.

Valerie, I don't think I would like climbing up in one of those lookout posts. Those ladders seem precarious to me. Streaming can be frustrating and that is why I am hesitant on paying for many of the services. I like the dvds. No issues there. Nice that you are having some nice weather.

Carolyn, I have I have a lot of dill and basil in the freezer from my daughter's garden. She was trying to kill of the basil because she it was like a weed. I love using it. Sometimes when the battery is getting low on my Fit Bit, I feel it is not reading the heart rate as well.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did KCM's RAW Lower Body workout. I liked this one a lot. My HRM battery died (or at least I think that is what happened) so I didn't get the real calorie burn and just estimated it for MFP.

Judy, sorry to hear about Chris's aunt. Like you mentioned, I don't do Kelly's workouts that frequently, and with having most of her DVD's, and the Cathe Live streaming, it would probably not be used that much. I think the YouTube ones are great.

Valerie, How was your company? I agree that I would not want to share a cabin at one of the lookout areas with strangers.

Carolyn, great having herbs so handy. Did you make the broccoli salad? I need to make another batch. I also added cooked chicken once in a while and it was a complete meal. :).

Lori, great workouts. I viewed the clip of the Live Low Impact HIIT, and added it to my "live cardio favorites" list. I could not have more than one streaming source...I would be too overwhelmed, trying to make sure I used it enough. LOL...

Diane Sue, the bench in the shade sounds lovely. LOL at the squirt guns though. What do you do to shut down the FitBit? John has never turned it off...He tried to charge it the other night and now it won't go on at all. I just wanted to try to use it for sleep tracking....it's more of a pain that it's worth. Agree on the scale purchase, if it is that rigid...maybe that is what happened to John;s....I tried to set it up with my phone and it probably got messed up. But it never really synched to my phone so not sure what happened.

I am taking John's car in for service this morning, hope to get a workout in afterwards...

Take care,

Today I did a blast from the past, a Leslie Sansone 3 mile walk from the Fast and Firm! 4 Really Big Miles dvd. I used my weighted gloves. Total time was 45 minutes and 244 calories. I decided to try a few of my older workouts this week.

Deb, yes I made the broccoli salad. We love it and the leftovers are good to have around. I toss the apples with some lemon juice to keep them from turning brown before I add them in.

Lori, I agree that streaming is the future for fitness workouts but I much prefer my dvds. I might feel differently if we had a newer television. I hate using the small screens on the iPad or laptop for workouts. I don't mind using them when we travel, but not on a regular basis.

Hello to Diane Sue, Valerie, Judy, and Caitlin.

Deb, we have never stayed over night in a lookout for this reason. you might be lucky and have it to yourself, but you also could end up with 5 people you don't know and don't WANT to know all in one room. usually the cabins have a bed or sleeping platforms and basic things like candles, reading materials, possible some kind of stove and some cooking supplies. they always have mice. we've used them during the day, a nice place to get out of the sun or wind. the 3 fingers one is so remote now that probably pretty safe to assume you would be alone. most of the other look outs are not as hard to get to.
company was cousin and wife. went fine. we had planned a bike ride but he wussed out. I did a Ramped up pre mix , triceps/biceps, and the core workout from the disk. one move I don't get but the rest was good. I was right in assuming I could go heavier on bi's and tris if I did them at the beginning rather than at the end of the workout. I only did about 40 min total. part is my fault. I keep pushing the wrong button on the remote. stops the disk instead of going down the menu. :rolleyes: stupid. I don't know how many times I've done that. same dumb mistake, repeat and repeat.
Carolyn I agree on small screen size. I would not like using a small screen. I will need a new TV to stream in the basement and it still might not work because of the house structural issues. so I don't want to buy a new TV just to see if it will work, since it might mean another apple TV, new charges for another device etc.

diane sue the ladders are secured to the rocks but they were scary and almost vertical. every step was very careful, especially where you changed from one ladder to the next. I'm proud that I did it.... but would not do it again. the hike to get to the ladder part was long already, around 7 miles with a lot of elevation gain, and it would have been hard to not try to finish the last few hundred yards.
so funny about REM... amazed at what auto correct does sometimes.... you think you typed something "clear" and it changes it to something totally different.

Today I did Ice To the Mat with my grandson and granddaughter. My workout was 50 minutes, 135 calories. I wonder why sometimes the Fit Bit App has the heart rate and calories a bit different than what the watch says?

Deb, you scroll across to settings on the watch, click settings and scroll down to shut down. I shut mine down whenever I put it in the charger and a few times when it wasn't reading the correct day or time after shut down. One day recently I had it start flickering and not responding. I finally got it to the shut down button and when I turned it back on it was fine. I have to go online on my computer dash board or on my tablet to make some of the changes on the device. I click on the Blaze icon in the right upper corner.

Carolyn, I made a kale salad with dried cranberries, pecans, sunflower seeds, carrots grated, and some apples. It was really good with the Fixate Cookbook honey mustard dressing. I use 1 less Tablespoon honey in the dressing when I make it. The family devours it when they are over. The apples usually keep, just in the dressing for a couple of days.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.