Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/7

Hello Ladies,
Today is a rest/recovery day for me. I did the relaxation practice from Tamal Dodge’s Yoga for Energy and Relaxation by Element Yoga. It was 39 minutes and 58 calories burned. It’s a yin yoga type practice, but you don’t hold the poses quite as long. I enjoyed it.

Deb, thanks for starting the thread this morning.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

good morning. we plan on heading home tomorrow. weather is not good here or in WA but we've done all we can here. need a few weeks of melting yet. tues and wed more snow is expected. we rode into the park this morning and got our fill of elk, bighorns, bison, pronghorns. and ( ta da!!) I spotted a moose. we looked at her for a while, bedded down in some willows and then moved on. unfortunately someone else spotted her and a bunch of cars were there when we went back. this time of year the road is an out-and-back. there are not as many moose in the park as there used to be. they seem to be suffering from problems related to global warming. I have not seen a moose here in several years. I was hoping for some bears but no luck, didn't see any. we looked at a few other potential places to hike but way too much snow yet. if only you could put on snow shoes and hike it would be great, but this snow wont be Ok for that. plus some areas are closed in spring for bear management issues.

did revd up again, since it doesn't need equipment. we had a small water leak issue that took up a few hours. think we have it resolved.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Things just got away from me yesterday and I never got back to the computer.
Carolyn, it sounds like a nice rest day, with an enjoyable yoga workout.

Valerie, have a safe trip back. Good that you got to see all the wildlife before heading back. Too bad the weather made you have to cut your trip short.

Hi to Diane Sue, Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

I started my active rest week on Friday, but I feel like I am getting so much exercise at work that I'm not really resting, just taking a break from my usual home gym workouts. My fitbit steps and active minutes have been pretty high on work days. Yesterday I worked in lumber, spotting for the forklift driver for 2 hours then spent 8+ hours in garden.(I stayed 2 hours over). I had over 27,000 steps and 127 active minutes for the day. Garden was crazy due to the weather and the big sale which lasts another week or so. I might end up working more hours this week too.

Carolyn-the relaxation practice sounds really nice!

Valerie-Hope you have a safe trip home. It's too bad that you didn't get to do all the things you wanted to.

Hi to Deb, Diane Sue & Lori!

Judy

It’s not a big deal. we thought it might be early to mt bike but now we have bikes here so we are ready next time. Skiing disappointed us because we knew it was a heavy year and didn’t expect snow to be so rotten. Nerve been here other years when it was bad in spring.
The hike was good in a place that will be too hot in summer I’m pleased I can do workouts here and will have more variety with a decent step. All in all a good trip just not what we planned!
Judy wow a lot of steps! Definitely not a desk job . More in a bit when we leave

This morning I did Slimdown Xtreme Upper Body for 42 minutes and 237 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 151. I then did the Recovery Upper Body, same series, for 27 minutes and 129 calories burned. Average heart rate was 111 and maximum heart rate was 138. The workout was actually 20 minutes but I paused to write down the exercises. The recovery workouts are the original 10 Pound Slimdown. They use lighter weights and are very metabolic.

Judy, you are definitely getting a workout with all of that walking. I think you should call it your cross training week instead of rest week.

Hello to Deb, Lori, Diane Sue, and Valerie.

My workout today was Raw Metabolic 6 & 6, 33 minutes, met 7.8, 242 calories, 912 steps, heart rate average 113, max 148. Raw cardio and floor finisher 2 (from Sculpting RX) 19 minutes, met 5.5, 100 calories, heart rate average 112, max 170? 758 steps, finishing with Ice to the mat time saver all ball , 21 minutes, met 4.0(workout manager has 6.0) 68 calories, heart rate average 86, max 120, 119 steps. Total time was 73 minutes, 410 calories, Steps 1,789.
Raw Metabolic 6 & 6 each of 5 moves done for 30 seconds in 6 rounds I used 1# weight gloves & 12# dbs
side lunge to overhead press alternating sides
renegade row with push ups between right and left
skater swings double arm from sides
alternating lunges
connected push ups
sit ups with dbs

Deb, I keep getting busy and not getting here till late or sporadically.

Judy, that sounds like a long day and a lot of walking. You are getting a workout anyway.

Valerie, nice that you are able to find the positive in the trip anyway. You still got to see a lot of nature and get away for a bit. And sounds like you are getting things settled for comfort when you visit.

Carolyn, nice work today.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I did get new running shoes, and the insoles ( Superfeet- green) and am trying them for a couple of weeks to see if they help. The good thing about the store I went to, is they have a 60 day return policy if you don't like what you have purchased.

Judy, wow, that is amazing. I don't blame you for not feeling like you are resting...but that defined "active rest week" for sure.

Valerie, hope your trip was uneventful. Good that you have more things there so you can do more workouts. Did you order a new step to take there next time?

Diane Sue, good workout, KCM has some great RAW ones in her streaming.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb, I hope that the running shoes and inserts are helpful. It is nice that you got them from a store that will allow you to return them if they do not work for you. Which shoes are you trying?

Valerie, I bet you are tired. I always felt music starting to annoy me instead of me enjoying it when I had it going too long.

Diane Sue, they are New Balance running shoes, with wide width. I have never done wide before. I'm not sure I like them yet. No matter how tight I tie them, the back seems to be slipping on my heel. Way too noticeable too. I'll keep them for about a week, see if I get used to it, if not I will exchange for the regular width.

I have really small heels, shoes slip up and down if the sole is stiff. good that you can exchange them. For me, if I don't notice the inserts , then they are right. If I'm aware of shoes every step, I need to change something.
DH buys wide boots so he can wear double socks more easily but that never worked for me. when I double socks, the inner one walks itself down. I used to buy glue- in heel inserts to take up room in the heel but my heels are so small it still didn't work. I buy a lot of backless shoes. my workout shoes are Brooks. they are a wide width but heels are not too big. they are a few years old.
got a good nights sleep and feel OK today. need to pick up mail and do groceries today. wed like to mt bike today if the rain lets up. in one week the seasons changed. everything is leafing out and loads of flowering trees just in a week. really obvious!

Today I did Slimdown Xtreme Cardio Kickboxing for 40 minutes and 308 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 160. After that I did STS Extended Stretch for 15 minutes and an additional 23 calories. This is one of my favorite stretches, something I know I have mentioned before :). I like it better than the stretches from LiTE.

Deb, I hope the new shoes help. It’s great that you can return them if necessary. I have never been able to wear New Balance shoes comfortably.

Diane Sue, great workout yesterday. I thought that you must have been very busy.

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it back safely.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

I started with P90X2 Warm up and foam roller from PAP lower, 15 minutes, met 4.0, 53 calories, 387 steps. I then did Yvette Bachman Low Impact Step workout. It was not really a just step workout!! It was circuits with a med ball? ( I question this as they did not seem like their balls were all that heavy and I used a 10#) The also used pretty heavy weights with emphasis on chest and triceps for 5-8 reps. I really did not want to do weights today. Anyway, I did the first half which for them ended at 26 minutes(31 for me trying to write and get equipment), heart rate average was 132, max 168, 1,570 steps, met 7.0, 186 calories. I stopped where they were getting ready to do bench press again which I gathered meant they were going to repeat it. I then decided to do the kickboxing cardio one that said it had no equipment and was around 45 minutes. This did not require anything. They looked like they were wearing weighted gloves and I wore my 1.5# gloves. I hate speed bags!! She does this a lot. I wanted lower impact and this had plyo jumps and lots of jacks built in. Workout was 47 minutes, met 10.0, 328 calories, 3,899 steps, heart rate average was 138, max 168. I finished off with Lite abs #2, 11 minutes, 31 calories, 77 steps, heart rate 97 average, 122 max. Total time was 1 hour 44 minutes, 598 calories, 5,933 steps.

Deb, I had New Balance for awhile. I went to a New Balance store and was fitted there. Odd though, that they said one foot was a 1/2 size bigger than the other. I think this is because one has less of an arch and tends to be flatter. They gave me 1/2 size up and the shoes were a bit snug and they told me to loosen the laces a bit and I would be fine. I am not sure they did wonderful job as I never felt real comfortable in those shoes. I have bought New Balance since on my own and had them fit better. Sometimes I can wear wide width, but I have to be sure the heel is narrow enough not to slip.
Your shoes should not slip. As you wear them they will loosen up a bit more and you will just have more problems with slipping. I have been there with that problem.
I usually buy cross training shoes. Tony Horton on the PAP Lower dvd that I did the warm up said to not use running shoes for the workouts like he is doing.

Valerie, I have to buy low top shoes because I have had some that unless I stacked something inside to raise up my heel, my ankle bones would rub on the top and it would be so uncomfortable. I could never stand extra socks in my shoes. I like very thing socks with enough elastic or spandex or whatever is in them so that they do not move down in my shoes. I used to buy Nike compression sports socks. I still have some as those socks tend to last forever. I kind of feel uncomfortable with the tightness anymore though. My feet get numb when things are tight.

Carolyn, I like the Lite Stretch #2. It seems to stretch my hips out a bit more. I do like Extended stretch from STS. I have used it a lot. I Think all of the workouts should have an extended stretch option. I don't always have time for real long stretches, but need more than 5 minutes that is on most workouts. I really had planned on doing the one low impact workout thinking it was all low impact and is about an hour and then a longer stretch, but things did not workout like that for me today.

Diane Sue, I like to use cross training shoes for most workouts also. I want the lateral support for most of my workouts which I don’t get with running shoes. I have a pair of Brooks running shoes that I use for walking and for use on the treadmill. I think LiTE Stretch #2 is the one that I prefer too.

My feet also get numb if I tighten laces down hard. I need to get shoes that do not have too much space, mostly medium width. I got wide on the last Brooks running shoes but most of my shoes are not wide. I think you need to try each brand and style. judge only that shoe since dimensions vary so much.
I did stacked upper body and 60 knee push ups.

Good morning,

PT today, we'll see how that goes. I think I am ready to see someone for my knee, maybe an x-ray to see if there is anything really bad going on.

Valerie, glad you got a good night's sleep. That is exactly how I feel right now about these shoes....when I was in the store it felt like I had really soft slippers on, light feeling etc. After wearing with the insoles a couple of days, it like all my attention is going to my feet when I am walking. Not a screaming pain or anything like that, just annoyingly aware that they are there.

Carolyn, nice workout and its good that you have found a stretch that you enjoy. I need to do more of that, although for some reason, the PT guy told me stretching is not going to help my issue. I more need strength build up. I still think stretching all the other parts would be good. I have come to the conclusion that maybe running shoes ( which this store specializes in) are not the answer. I explained to them what I use them for mostly ( running agility courses), which has more lateral moves, turns etc, not straight running or walking), and they seemed to think these would be good. I am not so sure.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Diane Sue, I can imagine how frustrating that must have been, when you think you are doing a cardio workout, and it ends up being weights too. I like Cathe's DVD's for the chapters, where you can actually see each exercise on the DVD. I agree with you about the slipping. I never thought about how it will probably get worse as they break in and stretch. :(. Most likely I will be bringing these back. I need to have a wide width ( bunions) for the front, but like Valerie mentioned with her shoes, my heel is probably very small.

I am just getting to a workout here in a minute. I spent time looking and ordering a new pair of Reeboks and Superfeet. I ordered the yellow athletic shoe superfeet that have cushioning in the forefoot. My left foot has been hurting some in the center of the forefoot. I think both My Reebok Nanos and my shoe inserts are just worn down. I have been wearing the same ones for workouts for over 4 years now.

Deb, I have very skinny ankles and narrow heels. Finding the right shoes and room for my toes is always a bit of a problem.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.