Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/21

good morning. deb congrats on your first qualifier! you have not mentioned Ike lately. how old does he have to be before he starts training for this?

we are off to mt bike before the horse people arrive. we debated doing a road ride but it's cloudy and misty so far (probably sunny later) and with holiday, more drivers will be out so will stick to mt biking. less driving, fewer people.

Back from our ride. it was very pleasant. we are doing our long road circuit around the tree farm until the trails open in another 2 weeks. it is about 7 miles, takes us 1 hr 45-50 min. we saw no one this morning until we got back to parking area a 2 people were just arriving.

Last edited:
Today was my second rest day. I did do Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped active stretch this morning. Tomorrow I will get back at it.

Deb, that is great that Kyle Q'd in one of the runs. :)

Carolyn, I hope you had a fun and enjoyable rest day :)

I bet you are looking forward to the longer rides.

Good morning,

Well yesterday was not as good as Saturday, no "Q's" but one was my fault. I mishandled the entrance, but once she did that, she had a perfect run. Live and learn. Here is a picture of my friend's granddaughter, the one I babysit for at the trial with me in the ring setting Kylee up to run.. She wanted to cheer for Kylee, but I asked her not to call her name out, etc, so she wasn;t distracted. She held her hands behind her back with her fingers crossed instead. 6437

Valerie, glad you had a nice ride. I bet it was like you said, lots of people busy with holiday stuff. Ike is starting puppy agility classes on 5/11. :)

Carolyn, hope you had a nice Easter.

Diane Sue, I hope all is ok. Not like you to take 2 rest days in a row.

Hi to Judy, & Lori,

Take care,

We have tulip fields not far away. it has become a nightmare "world event" with people coming from all over to view the flowers. flowers are lovely, no question, but it is hell for people living here. its the general area is where we do most of our road rides. it is north , and we have to drive that direction to do road rides and also a lot of mt bike destinations. a dry easter sunday will be awful traffic. even our tree farm ride is in direction of the problem area but we can get there using side roads. we try to avoid the traffic, which was piling up by 9 am yesterday. maybe there was a wreck somewhere but I didn't look. it is so terribly sad when something local and nice gets ruined by over promotion and hordes of frigging tourists. it happens to place after place. I looked at the traffic last night at about 9:30 and it was worse than on a regular commute time, with miles or black and red sections.

we did garden work much of the afternoon and will finish it today. as if a garden is ever 'finished"!! Ha! not a chance in the world. weeding is a huge job as is planting everything. then we have a while where it doesn't need much work.

Deb does puppy agility training take the place of general obedience training? your little guys are so cute.

Today I did LiTE Metabolic Blast + Calorie Crush for 55 minutes and 339 calories burned. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Deb, that’s a great picture. I’m glad that you had a good day.

Valerie, I understand what you mean about Metabolic Blast not being a favorite. There is a lot of upper and lower body coordination required. Today was just my third time doing it so there were some parts that I didn’t remember. I have read about the tulip fields and the visitors flocking to see them.

Diane Sue, two rest days in a row can feel good, especially during a busy holiday weekend. I think of it as another way to nurture the body.

Judy, I know you are enjoying your days off.

Hello to Lori.

Today I did two Coffey Fit Raw workouts. The first was Strong and Lean, 47 minutes, 319 calories, met 8.0, heart rate average 118, max 160, 2,152 steps. Then I followed this with Raw Weights Circuit #1 which is an all weigh circuit done in rounds, 28 minutes, heart rate average 116, max 158, met 6.0, 159 calories, 703 steps. Total time was 75 minutes, calories 478, 2,855 steps.
Today I did Caffey Fit Raw Strong and Lean 48 minutes

Coffey Fit Raw Strong and Lean 45 minutes alternates between cardio, strength, and kettlebell rounds Not real hard cardio segments and not too much high impact.
Kelly uses a 33# barbell for most of it, 10# dumbbells, and a 20# kettlebell for kettlebells swings and figure 8's.
warm up about 6.5 minutes
cardio punches/squat hops, then just punches front, up, low and all 3
barbell squats 40# my weight 10 reps
kettlebell 20# 20 reps double hand swings
cardio skate hop side to side ending in just hop side to side
biceps curls 40# barbell my weight 10 reps
kettlebell single arm swings 10 and 10 reps 20#
cardio shuffle then mountain climbers hands on barbell
deadlift Kelly used barbell I used two 30# dumbbells 10 reps
kettlebell swings alternating 10 reps 25# I increased the weight of the kettlebell for the remainder of the workout
cardio cardio insole slaps/butt kicker jog then just butt kicker jog
clean from the hip bar 40# here 10 reps
figure 8 kettlebell swings 20 reps 25#
cardio wood chop center and side to side then just center with jumps
Thrusters 40# barbell 10 reps
double swing kettlebell 25# 20 reps
cardio punches with a tuck jump
barbell bentover rows 40# barbell
alternating kettlebell swings 20 reps 25#
cardio lateral step shoot ending with 8 reps of just shoot
dumbbell kickbacks I used 12# dbs 10 reps
kettlebell double hand swings 25# 20 reps/ alternating swings 25# 20 reps/ figure 8 25# 20 reps
cardio punch and skater , butt kicker jog, step side shoot
deadlift high pull 35# barbell 10 reps/clean from the hip push press 35# barbell 10 reps
abs and glutes :
feet on barbell bridge 20 reps and then 20 pulses
feet under the bar sit ups 20
bench press 20 reps wide, then 20 reps close grip 35# barbell

Raw Weights Circuit timed 30 sec each exercise
Rnd 1 and 2 the same except does lateral raise instead of ohead press
flys 15# dbs
pledge curls 15# dbs
overhead press alt. 15# dbs
alternating row from the floor in squat positions setting weight down and picking up 25# Db
kickbacks 112# dbs
deadlift 35# barbell
squat deadlift 35# barbell
Rnd 3
bench press 15# dbs
tate press 15# dbs
double hammer curls 15# dbs
underhand barbell row 35#
kickstand deadlift 35# barbell alternating standing leg
dead/squat 35# barbells
Rnd 4 starts same as 3 except alt. lateral raise after tate press10# dbs , repeats the alternating row from the floor 25# and ends with regular squats 35# barbell instead of the dead/squat
Rnd 5 is a short round
dumbbell flys 15# dbs
alterating rows from the floor 25#

Deb, that is such a cute picture. Sorry there was no "Q" this time. It was fun watching Gertie with my granddaughter's puppy. They named him Hopper because he hops and bounces all over. He is only 12 weeks old. They got along well. Gertie had some bouncing around herself LOL
I am fine. I just slept in a bit longer on Saturday and there was no time before the tea room gathering. The rest of the day was just full, till I went to bed. Then yesterday, I had to bathe so there would be hot water for my husband, so I just stretched after I got a bath. I did not want to do anything sweaty. The rest of the day was full with family activity. I sometimes have to sit back and remind myself that I do not "have" to workout. It is a habit to workout. Sometimes I get really tired, and if my body will let me sleep a little longer that is a plus. I will forego the workout.

Valerie, I remember you mentioning the tulip fields before. I bet they are beautiful, but commercializing it and drawing crowds would be upsetting when one lives there. Tulips do not last that long do they?? I don't remember many bulbs that last a long time. I have seen pictures of fields of tulips when I was looking for tulip pictures for ideas for a painting that a friend wanted me to do.

Carolyn, I guess I am the odd person, because I kind of like the moves in Metabolic Blast. I do not heavy up much in that one, but it is a bit quicker paced than the others. I also like the calorie crush on that one since it is not done on jumping on and off of a step. Passing weights under my legs and stuff is not hard for me. I have done a lot of that with kettlebell workouts at much heavier weight loads. There are times when I feel like I should take a rest day and don't. You are right, it is a good way to nurture the body and sometimes the body just needs some recovery time.

the flower show starts with daffodils and gradually transitions to tulips. it lasts almost 2 months altogether but daffs don't draw as many crowds. since bloom dates vary from year to year, you can't easily plan around it. this year is average. some types of tulips bloom earlier, some later, so there is a staggered bloom cycle , and it goes on for a month at least. if we get a warm stretch of weather it hurries them along, whereas if cool and damp they can last a long time. after the main bloom is over, workers behead the dwindling tulips. DH and I ride before the bloom and then wait until after they're cut off. it used to be lovely to ride around the fields, but now it's the worst traffic nightmare you can imagine. unsafe to ride with people looking at flowers and not watching where they are driving.

I don't have good coordination between upper and lower body. upper will "over ride", so I have to keep lower simple. by the time I figure out how to get coordinated, it's on to the next move. ICE metabolic total body is my favorite, but this newer one, not so much. I would rather simplify the moves a little and go heavier or higher reps . nothing is stopping me from doing that, of course. diane sue, I don't remember if Ive looked at the calorie crush on that one. will make a point to look.

Diane Sue, it’s not that I dislike Metabolic Blast. I haven’t done it enough to be totally comfortable with it. It was the last in the series that I tried and I have done the other workouts more. I like the Calorie Crush too.

Good morning,

Busy day yesterday, John was off but I still had 2 classes to teach at the training hall. We brought both dogs with us, just so they could get some time out of the house and play together in a big open area. They had a ball.

Valerie, I remember you mentioning those fields in the past and all the people that come to see them. They must be beautiful. Good thing they don't last all summer though. IKE will be taking both obedience classes (2 per week) and 1 agility class. I know, I have to be crazy. With the addition of his puppy agility, I have to drop a class, way too much time at the hall, not to mention all the time I spend being the training class coordinator. I will probably drop Kylee's Saturday morning class...no way I am going there twice on a Saturday. I already do that on Tuesdays.

Carolyn, I think I did Metabolic a couple of times. I remember liking it, but don;t remember any of it specifically.

Diane Sue, it sounds like the rest was good. Sometimes it's just what your body needs.

Judy, thanks! I like it even more since it was not staged, and she was being so sweet to "secretly" cheer us on so she wouldn't disturb Kylee. :). I have a video that my niece took on her iPhone, but when I upload it to YouTube, it gets all blurry. I need our resident video expert ( that is you Lori!! ) to tell me how to get it clear when uploaded.

HI to Lori,

Take care,

I did stacked upper body later yesterday, again pre dinner hour. it works in nicely. we did garden work in am, and then a Costco run right after lunch so the 4-5pm hour works great.
Deb that is an ambitious doggie schedule. I finally got the cute picture you posted. sometimes I get a little square with an 'x" in it, and after a while it opens into a big pic. it finally opened.

The tulips are lovely to look at but the traffic is a nightmare. DOT sets up special tulip tour routes, but the traffic backs up, down the shoulder of the freeway at the exit because the little farm roads are not set up for the volume. it is usually about a month of awfulness. it used to be busy on weekends, but now it's all day -every day while blooming. there used to be more farms involved so it was more spread out, but now concentrated in mostly one or two locations. it makes it incredibly hard for locals to get to appointments or do normal shopping. what was once a half an hour trip becomes 4 hours. its a bit like the awfulness of the recent California poppy bloom that causes a million people to descend on one small area because they saw it on facebook.
we used to grow tulips ourselves but most are only pretty for one year. the second year many don't flower again, or if they do, they are so-so not like the first year. you also need to dig them up at end of the season. ended up being more trouble than it was worth for us. daffodils and other bulbs like hyacinths, crocus, will come back every year for a long time. I like my garden but stick with less fussy plants.

Today I did Rhythmic Step omitting the challenge at the end. My time was 53 minutes with 395 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 177.

Waving hello to everyone. Have a wonderful day.

Today I did Cathe's Crossfire Extreme mix, 78 minutes(74 actual as I had to run downstairs a couple of times to let my dog in and out) Met 8.0 (I lowered the met for myself) 495 calories, 5,267 steps heart rate average 132, max 170. I also did Kelly Coffey Muscle Up bonus abs, 15 minutes, 46 calories, met 3.5, heart rate average 101, max 128, 276 steps. I finished off with Lite extended stretch #2, 31 calories, 11 minutes. Total time 104 minutes, 572 calories, 5,551 steps. I got 8 steps doing the stretch :p
I had an odd experience with my Fit Bit and app for the second time. I am wondering if I could be picking up someone else' workout?? When I finished the Crossfire workout it popped up on my app and also another one which was labeled sport that was started part way into my crossfire workout. It was about 45 minutes.

Valerie, I bet fields of poppies are really pretty. I saw them a lot along the road in England. I also saw quite a few when my husband and I went and visited friends in Michigan. I don't know that I would drive to just go look at the fields of flowers though. I still have not purchased the Upper Stacked sets yet. I try to work on things that require balance and coordination since that is something that I am not real good at. You are right, it is not hard to change the moves to fit what you need. No need to push yourself and then end up with an injury or something. There is impact and jumping in the Metabolic Calorie Crush. I just find it a lot more doable than the straddle jumping and jumping on and off the step bench that is on the Cardio Party workout. I don't have the third workout with a Calorie crush on it, but I am thinking that that one will also have impact in it. I don't bother to dig the bulbs up. They never seem to return when I replant. I just would rather buy more bulbs. The ones in front come up every year and I do not do anything with them. There is more than one kind that come up around the electric meter at different times. One is the Naked Ladies. I love the scent of Hyacinths but the seem to last 3 or 4 weeks and are done, if they don't get hit with a freeze. Then they just fall over.

Carolyn, I think that Lite Metabolic is just different from the others. I think I have just done the Ice Metabolic so much that I do not really want to do it as much anymore. I don't know why I don't pull out Rhythmic Step more often. I always liked it. It used to be my Saturday morning fun to do workout.

Deb, I am sure Ike will love the classes and training too. That is a lot of work on your part. I am not great at getting pictures posted (like the small ones I sized the last time) and I sure would not be good with video. My husband is the one that does that.

diane sue, pretty clear I like Stacked upper. superset format. no dread factor. nothing awkward or complicated. easy to increase weight / #reps. a series of 6, 6, and 8 exercises you go thru twice without much resting. I can do it in <40 min. I've done this one more than any other from this series.. I use the time saver premixes too.
the music on this series is fine , not loud. the previous series S&S and some ICE I need to turn off the music and use vocals only. not that big a deal but an extra step I forget until I'm into the workout, and then have to stop, turn off music, and then get back to where I was. the music volume is much less intrusive in this series and I have not changed any equipment. makes me think more people complained about the volume because the sound mix was done differently.

Ha ha... hyacinths get top heavy and flop over from too much water on the flowers. tulip bulbs get eaten by rodents too, another reason they dont come back. I don't know what naked ladies are. we saw pics of fields of california poppies ( orange hillsides) and also miles of cars and people all over and some jerk with a helicopter who landed in the middle of it all. please save us from the assaults by social media!

Good morning,

Going to PT today.

Valerie, thanks on the pic. I can';t imagine DOT having to get involved in a traffic situation...it has to be pretty bad.

Carolyn, nice job on Rhythmic Step. I bought some Hemp Hearts yesterday...have not tried them yet. It was a small package, ( only 2.99) and the instructions say to pour it all over yogurt, oatmeal etc...all???. How much do you usually use in a normal 6 or 8 oz yogurt? I was thinking a tablespoon or something like that.

Diane Sue, that is really strange about your FitBit and getting someone else's workout stats. It could be a cross of data with someone close by? We had a poppy plant in a large barrel for years. It would come out one weekend in June and last about 4 days, then die. Pretty while it was there.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb, I use 2 teaspoons of hemp hearts in my yogurt. The package lists 3 TBSPs as a serving size, but I never use that much because of the cost in WW smart points. My yogurt serving size is 1/2 cup.

Last edited:
My workout today was Pyramid Pump Lower Body, the up only premix. My time was 38 minutes with 180 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 145.

Deb, I hope you had a good PT session today. Did you get a single serving pack of hemp hearts? I just noticed that you said “pour it all” from the directions.

Diane Sue, Crossfire Extreme, KCM Bonus Abs, and LiTE Extended Stretch is quite a workout! Great job.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.