Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/14

Hi,

The microwave install turned out well. It is about an inch wider than our older one, so we have to be careful when opening up cabinet doors on either side of it. Not a big deal, and we have to go with it since they don;t make them any less deep, unless you get one of those tiny ones that would not fill the space we have.

Valerie, those combo wall units were the rage at one time I guess. My MIL had one and hated it, but did not want to go through an almost kitchen remodel to replace it. I am also between 5'2 and 5'3. The microwave is ok height wise for me, but could not stir anything while it is still in there, like Diane Sue mentioned. I think the arch supports are finally molding to my foot. Sometimes I wonder if it is the sock things I am wearing that are bunching up. That's what it feels like, but I have no way to tell if that is it. Nice that your new helmets worked out so well. That is too bad about cousins moving. Do you like AZ? Maybe a nice place to visit. 5'10? I would be happy with 5'6...LOL...

Carolyn, it sounds like you all did a great job on the seminar. :)

Judy, sounds like you enjoyed that day off!

Diane Sue, I understood that when they were saying that the supplement may interfere with a prescription blood thinner, that it would make the thinner not do its thing, (help keep your blood thin)...or make it not able to prevent clots? Confusing to me. The blood condition I have makes me more prone to clots. My DR wants me to take a low dose aspirin every day, which I do. I guess aspirin thins your blood.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Our house was a spec house 30+ yrs ago. lots things in the pre made plans I didn't change. I changed from a grill top on the island to a regular cook top against the wall. those grill top things were popular too but I didn't want one. I don't cook like that at all, were ugly besides. I should have changed the oven/micro combo but I didn't realize what a problem it was. at least it wasn't too high. a microwave above a cook top is too high. I don't want to handle boiling hot things when I can't see and barely reach. I am not a fan of combining appliances. there is "will a new one fit into the hole" problem, and also if one half dies, you have to throw the whole thing out and buy another of what just failed?? We were able to redo the wall oven space ourselves, and ran a new circuit. would have hired someone to do it if we couldn't ourselves. appliances don't last 30 years like they used to. I am pleased we got 13 yrs from the micro. new one is fine. plug it in and away we go.

I had a cousin I idolized who was 5'10. I wanted to be just like her. Hello, didn't work. I am the shortest one in the whole family. oh well. I have not lost much height, which is good. my mothers side ended up all bent over, looking at the ground mostly, so I hope that is not my fate if I keep in shape, keep up nutrition etc.

Deb, that is my view of AZ. nice to visit, don't want to live there. It's hot there a lot of the year, and I know its a dry heat but still hot. we will visit them there but we feel they made an unwise, impulsive decision that will come back to bite them. we think they should have spent a few $$ and stayed there in AZ for a month or two, before taking the plunge. but they didn't ask and we had no idea they would do this.

Today is a rest day. Yesterday was the first time that our group has done a public service event. The Georgia Chapter of Better Investing helped us with the organizing and Money Smart provided many booklets and handouts for the participants. They all seemed happy with all the goodies that they received.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Foam roller. Today is my rest day, but I did work outside after church while my husband cleaned the garage.

Deb, yest, aspirin is a blood thinner. You could ask your doctor about curcumin. I wore my new Reebok cross trainers with the inserts yesterday for my workout and then the rest of the day. The were really comfortable as soon as I put them on with the SuperFeet. I did not like the removable padding they had in the shoe originally. It was soft, flat, and had little bumps all over it. I new I would not be able to stand those bumps.

Valerie, I don't think it gets that hot in the mountain areas of Arizona. Like Flagstaff and Tuscon. I remember going to camp there in the summers. Our family went to the mountains and camped out, as we lived in a suburb of Phoenix and it was definitely hot there. I will say that dry heat is a lot more tolerable than humid heat.
If I dropped something from the microwave I might break the glass stove top. That is one thing I did not care for when we bought this house. I like a gas cook top. I don't think there is even a gas hook up there. The same goes for the dryer. It has to be electric.

Carolyn, that is great that your group was able to do that. Maybe some more opportunities like that will come up.

Good morning,

No exercises yesterday. I bought some BioFreeze for my knee. It seems to help with the pain.

Valerie, yes, sometimes its hard to see into the future on appliances when you have to make a decision.. I made a huge mistake when we got a new range a couple years ago. All of our appliances were white, so I got a new white range. Not thinking that everything was almost 20 years old, and I would not want white again, wanted stainless. So now I have new stainless refrigerator, microwave, and a white stove. ugh...dumb on my part. If it was up to me, I would just get rid of the stove and get a new one, stainless, and not a one with a "steam cleaning" oven that does not work. The biggest boondoggle they have ever tried to put over on us. I think your idea of the cousins spending a couple of months in AZ first before deciding to move was a good one. I liked it there, ( had gone to Tucson 3 times over the years for business) but not sure I would want to live there. I would definitely try somewhere else besides Tucson though. I was only in AZ Tucson in February all 3 times, so not sure how hot it got during the summer.

Diane Sue, the shoe store people said to remove the existing insole ( arch support) in any athletic shoes before putting in the Superfeet insoles. They did that with mine, gave them back to me though. I don;t think I like the new shoes though. They seem stiff and heavier than any others I have had. I guess that could be because they are categorized as "stability" shoes. Same here, like gas cooking, I;ve never had an electric stove, although I was tempted when they came out with those all smooth electric cooktops, for cleaning purposes.

Hi to Lori, Carolyn, and Judy

Take care,

I didn’t get in a workout this morning. I had an early medical appointment and some things that had to be done before I left. Of course, it wasn’t happening after I got back home :).

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Diane sue dropping something onto a cooktop was another reason I didn’t want microwave up there. Also a hot cooktop element or pot seems risky. Worse as a person gets shorter. I have cabinet space above my cooktop now. I don’t put things that get used very much up there.

Deb we had a mix of white and stainless for years but all stainless now. It looks better all one finish. Stainless is pretty standard but keeping down fingerprints is a chore. White was less fussy. Styles could have trended back toward white too. It was a hard call but stainless won the war for the moment. Deb is that a Whirlpool oven with steam? I have that feature but also has regular cleaning. have not used either. ovens don't get very dirty if you don't eat meat. I have never in my life had access to gas. all houses have been electric.

I have one pair of "stability" shoes. I can't walk in them. I use them for road biking. I've had them forever. they work fine for biking but nothing else.

Cousin thinks AZ is too hot 4 months a year, so they will travel then, whereas here, he says we have 8 months of “bad” weather. Winter is sometimes gloomy here but mostly ok for us. They'll be in Scottsdale. IMO too hot at least 8 months of the year. I hate “too hot” . Other places in AZ are cooler. I think they should have rented for at least a month, in different seasons before buying. We will miss them and will visit, but it won’t be like living thirty miles apart. I have enjoyed visits to AZ a lot but never wanted to live there year round.

we tried to ski this morning, but tried 3 places with no luck. one had too little snow left, the second had some snowmobilers arriving at the same time, third spot had a big tree down on the road. then we got a flat tire so I just got back from getting it fixed. not a stellar day.

Last edited:
Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Ripped and Ride April workout. I liked this one a lot. The ride portions were around 4 minutes or a bit longer followed by weights at 10# and each weight segment ends with a boxing segment to give the legs a break. This was 53 minutes, heart rate average 120, max 169, 1,013 steps, 328 calories, met 7.0. I had a hard time with accuracy as I tried the Fit Bit on my ankle and I swear it was worse than just using the spin bike. I need to do this on the Tread Climber. I went by met value, perceived exertion, Map My Fitness using the spin setting, and allowing for weight breaks alon with checking out the calories burned calculator. If anything, I think the calorie burn would be higher. I then did the new Coffey Fit Raw Real Raw #3 weight workout, 39 minutes. This was fun, heart rate average 113, max 156, (I put the Fit Bit back on my wrist) 1,629 steps, 202 calories, met 6.0. 92 minutes, 530 calories .
The Raw Real Raw 3 workout went like this:
38 minutes
each muscle group worked one side at a time to elicit more core work and focus. Simple cardio interspersed. I think about 3 times in place of rests to keep energy up.
Kelly uses 10,12,15# dbs and for the finishers at the end 8# dbs
The music on this one is fun. Songs like Living on a Prayer, Old time rock and Roll :)
2:41 minute warm up exercises are done 30 sec each She uses a weight bench
back
1 arm rows 15# dbs 30 sec right 30 sec. lft
1 arm row slight change in positions 15# 30 sec rt. 30 sec lft
1 arm row with opposite leg lift behind 30 sec rt 30 sec lft
cardio
chest
12.5 # dbs 1 arm bench press 30 sec rt 30 sec lft
1 arm bench press with opposing leg lift 30 sec each side
1 arm bench press double leg raise up and down 30 sec each side
cardio
12.5 # 1 arm biceps curl 30 sec each side
15# db (12.5 was a bit too light) balance on 1 leg bicep curl 30 sec repeat on other side
Shoulders
10# dbs lateral raise both arms
10# dbs 1 leg balance lateral raise both arms 30 sec then switch legs 30 sec
Squats
no weight single leg squat 30 sec each side
15# dbs squats single leg 30 sec each side
15# dbs side to side tap squat
Triceps
10# dbs double arm kickbacks
10# 1 leg dbl arm kickbacks right
10# 1 leg dbl arm kickbacks left
Cardio
Bench butt kick hops
bench butt kick hops landing 1 leg
bench hops on and off (like in Melt down where you are holding onto the step)
Finisher done twice with slight change in a couple of moves 8# dbs
run rows
chest standing lift out and front by clavicle second time she does a pec deck
running biceps curls switching to hammer curls the second time through
front raise alternating right and left -- Kelly does the shoulders last second rnd holding the dumbbells together in front and moving elbows up and down(like chicken wings)
overhead triceps extension both weights held together

Deb, I hope your knee gets better. I always take out the existing inserts and save them just in case I want to use the others for a different shoe. Or give the shoe away. The smooth cook tops do stay clean. No taking things apart. You have to make sure that you don't have something boil over though as it is messy. I do not usually have that happen though as I keep watch over what I am cooking.

Valerie, we have a cabinet over the microwave and I can barely reach anything in there. I was trying to get a plastic sheet cake keeper out of there the other day with tongs and my husband rescued me and got it for me. I am prone to climbing on the counter tops to reach the top shelves. They are all too high. My aunt in Washington goes to Az every winter with her RV and stays in a
campground near her granddaughter.

Carolyn, I have my ladies game day in the morning and am hoping to get a workout in, but if I don't no big deal.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, That's too bad about the weather and your skiing....its so unpredictable this time of year no matter where you are, and on top of that a flat tire! Tt is a KitchenAid ( which is owned by Whirlpool), gas range with "steam cleaning" instead of the ones ( like my last one) where there is a clean cycle that you use. The oven gets to about 750 degrees with that one and all the stuff inside just turns to gray dust. For this new one, there is a water container that you put in, and set it to clean. It gets to about 250 degrees and shuts off when supposedly done. It doesn't get much of the stuff off at all. My cousin has the exact same one in the electric cooktop version and it doesn't work either. If you Google it, there are so many negative reviews, and blogs with complaints, I am surprised that they can keep selling them. They tell you to scrub anything left off with a steel wool pad. Hello? If I wanted to do that I would not have a self cleaning oven.

Diane Sue, those KCM workouts sound like fun. Have fun at your ladies game day. I have a cabinet over the microwave too, and need a step stool to get most things out of it. I can get the food processor, or crock pot, as they are on the edge in front, but any small thing tucked behind, I need the step stool.

Hi to Carolyn, Lori & Judy,

Take care,

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Real Raw #2 Cardio Hiit, 36 minutes, 265 calories, heart rate average 140. max 168, met 7.0, 3,366 steps. I have ladies game day at 9 so need to run and get ready. I will check back later.

This morning I did Circuit Blast from the Shock Cardio series. It was 45 minutes and 304 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 163. I modified the high impact moves such as box jumps to low impact. I usually avoid this workout when it shows up in a rotation, but decided to give it a try today. I really enjoyed it and it was easy to modify the cardio when I needed to do so.

Deb, you have confirmed what I thought about steam cleaning ovens. I want self cleaning that actually works.

Diane Sue, great job with doing Raw Cardio HiiT before going out. Enjoy game day with your ladies group.

Hello to Valerie, Lori, and Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

what a dog of a day yesterday. I got in a trip to Costco while our tire was being fixed. it was a" punch" type event so whatever caused it to go flat was not stuck in it. luckily the tire was fixable. that is a drawback to AWD cars. if you have any amount of mileage on the tires, if one needs replacement, all need to be replaced or it affects the AWD performance. we took off the snow tires, and the mileage jumped up 5 mph.

Deb as I remember, not many choices in wall ovens. it was this one. I think it has steam clean. if you need to scrub the inside with steel wool, you might as well not have a "self cleaning" option at all. I only do a turkey roast once or twice a year so my oven seldom gets dirty. a spill over every now and then. this one has a regular self clean cycle if I need it. I think it has steam clean also. glad you mentioned this. I thought the ovens that do the very high temp self clean were much better insulated and were worth any added cost for that alone. I would not buy an oven without real self cleaning even tho I seldom use it. is this your only white appliance? maybe that is a good reason to replace it!

I usually save a few of the manufacturer shoe inserts and put an extra pair in each car. occasionally I have grabbed boots without a superfeet insert, and the factory insert is better than nothing. I swap the superfeet from boot to boot and sometimes haven't noticed no insole until I was at a trailhead.

I was doing a crossword puzzle this morning, trying to look up something on my phone. DH was heating water in the microwave. the phone barely works if the microwave is running! as soon as it finished heating, the phone immediately went to what I was looking for. I was about 10-12 feet away. same room but a good distance away. I never noticed before. usually if microwave is running I'm not using the phone too. Is this common? I don't know why I never noticed before, except usually I'm running the micro and not on the phone at the same time.

mountain biked this morning for 1 hr 45 min. we have a nice circuit worked out all on roads so we are "legal". chatted with one of the workers there. they get to drive the roads and clean up fallen trees etc. everyone we've met has been very nice, and we are doing our best to enhance the reputation of mt bikers. too many reckless punks give the sport a bad name. some significant hills.

Last edited:
Deb, I can reach things if they are right at the edge of the cabinet over the microwave. My problem is I have my glass bake ware and a sheet cake holder stacked up there and sometimes when I try to pull one thing out stuff falls to the back of the cabinet as I tilt up so nothing flies out at me. I just do not have enough cabinets to make things convenient. I don't like using the self cleaning on my Fridgidaire oven. It gets so hot that I worry about a fire. Also it is right next to the refrigerator. The few times I used it at first, I moved the refrigerator out so it wasn't getting heated up as well. Plus it is a long cycle. I worried about going to bed the first time I used it because it was still locked up and so hot. The wood cabinet around it was hot. I just use self cleaning oven safe oven cleaner and scrub it.

Carolyn, I used to like doing Cardio Blast from the Shock Cardio series. It does have some tough jumping segments. Isn't that the one where you leap over the bench and do a burpee or something? I enjoyed the parts with the med ball.

Valerie, it seems like lately the tire places want you to replace all of the tires when one needs replaced. They need to be all the same or something. Sometimes it is irritating. Things are so different from what the used to be with vehicles. They say any electronic device can cause interference. I have had them tell me the same thing with heart rate monitors. Particularly bluetooth items. I don't think my microwave runs enough to cause much interference. I used to use it for so many things, but not anymore.

Interesting article from Dr Axe on yoga moves that cause injuries. https://draxe.com/yoga-injuries-plus-overcome-avoid/ I would think that he would have some insight since he and his wife are physical therapists.

Valerie, that’s an interesting observation, the microwave interfering with your phone. I haven’t noticed that happening, but we are rarely in the area with the microwave when using our cell phones.

Diane Sue, thanks for the yoga article. Shoulder stands and head stands have always seemed dangerous to me. I’m happy to say that I already follow most of Dr Axe’s suggestions.

Carolyn, this was unusual... husband heating a big jug of water, so micro ran for several minutes, and I happened to be looking up something on the phone at the kitchen table. it is 12 or so feet away. it happened twice. If it interferes with the wireless Wi fi signal, maybe this causes our trouble with the streaming TV sometimes and we were not aware.

sometimes houses are built without much forethought. why would anyone put the stove tight next to the refrigerator? hard to fix once its done too. I usually run the clean cycle less time than it suggests. my oven never gets that dirty. roasting meat spatters a lot and causes much of the grease build up even if you don't spill anything.

its a drawback to AWD. you cant tow AWD vehicles either.. I think they need to go on a trailer.

Carolyn, I do the plow and the shoulder stand move. I was thinking it may not be so good with the degeneration in my neck. I remember Tony Horton saying he puts a towel under his neck to protect it in plow. I need to rethink some moves.

Valerie, my oven does not have a way to set how long to clean it. It stays hot for hours. We have several things that were not thought out in our house. Our coat closet has the coat rack but houses the hot water heater. The closet that you would think would be the hot water heater in the kitchen area is the downstairs air/furnace unit. The door coming in from the garage cannot be opened when the door to the laundry cabinet is open, so I have to beware if someone might be coming in through the garage. no way to change that either. The cabinets by the dishwasher cannot be opened when the dishwasher is open, so I have to set dishes on the counter and then out them away after I close the dishwasher.
I have seen a couple of our neighbors have their cars on a pulley system being pulled up on the back of a trailer to be towed away.

Hi Everyone,

Sunday I did Yin Yoga from Ultimate Yogi and Monday I did Core Max 1 and LiTe PHA 2-Extreme #1 Premix. I went up with most of the weights. I have today and tomorrow off so I will be getting caught up with things at home and working out.

Deb-Nice that your microwave install went well. I'm 5'4 and I have to reach to put things in our microwave. I have to take things out to stir them.

Valerie-Most of the women on my mother's side were on the shorter side. My mother was 5'2. I would like to have been a little taller too. I've never noticed if the microwave interferes with my phone.

Diane Sue-That's an interesting article about yoga injuries. I only do Yin or gentle yoga practices now, although I do use the plow pose while stretching occasionally. I've done that one for years with no problems but I should probably be more cautious with it now that I am older. Nice job with the Raw workouts this week.

Carolyn-Great job with Circuit Blast! That's a good one! I've been reading more of Dr. Axe's articles recently and he does give good advice.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Reactions: WD
Good morning,

No exercises yesterday.

Diane Sue, your cabinet over the microwave sounds just like mine. Only can tilt and get big things on the edge, otherwise a I use a step stool. I never heard of an oven cleaner that was for self cleaning ovens. I know that they warn you about using something like Easy Off on them. Someone on a KitchenAid board said she accidently found out when she was making something that required that the temp be at 500 degrees for a while, she found that after the food was done, she could easily wipe up the stains etc from the walls of the oven, a lot easier than after using the steam cleaning function. I worried about my other oven because it went up to 700 degrees for the cleaning cycle. I called and they said it was insulated and not to worry about it. Also, it was a "slide in" not a built-in so although it was just like a built in, it had actual sides and could be used as a free standing if you wanted. I felt that with the sides, and extra insulation it was ok to do. Interesting yoga article.

Carolyn, great that you did that workout and enjoyed it. Isn't it funny how are tastes change in workouts and something you thought you like something that you remember not enjoying?

Valerie, I heard that about the tires too. I have not had to replace only one, so I guess I am lucky in that regard. I feel like you do about the range, and replacing, one because of the lack of self cleaning, and 2 because it is white. It is only 2 years old though and was not inexpensive. I really can't justify getting rid of it. It is like brand new. Although the sales person said I could swap the Superfeet insoles to other shoes, they really don't fit in any of the other ones I have. Our land line phone picked up something from our old microwave, not sure if it will do it with the new one. If on the phone, it created all kinds of static. You could still hear but it was really annoying. Funny, I'm pretty sure I have had one of our Subaru's towed in the past, the old fashioned way.

Judy, nice to have 2 days in a row off, to get caught up etc. :)

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.