Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/26

Deb, have you checked out this link from Dr Axe website? https://draxe.com/5-gut-types-quiz/ I got his book, Eat Dirt for Kindle yesterday for only 1.99 and found the link there. This book has a lot of good information and some recipes too. I didn't know I was probably causing some of my issues with eating cold foods and having cold drinks all of the time. According to my results I should be sipping warm herb teas or something instead of all of these bottles of ice cold water I drink constantly. That would be a big change for me because I make salads and use protein powder with kefir, yogurt, or almond butter for meals a lot. At least mine says a little honey. I think I use more than a little though. I thought if you hadn't checked this out you might find it interesting or something helpful there.

Lori, I tried again to watch those new bounce workouts sent to my email as free and it takes me the page, says I have to log in and then I cannot find them anywhere. I guess I just need to buy the one because I keep wasting workout time trying to get it to work. I would have loved to try them.

Edited to day I went ahead and ordered SB Bounce workout. I really have been wanting it. I liked the first free bounce workout that I got to do and I do enjoy her stretch and the two free days that I had.

Last edited:
Did a Costco run and bought the phone today. DH actually does worry about whether he will lose it! He has a habit of setting things in bad places. one time he set a pair of small binoculars on top of the truck tire while taking off his pack and boots. guess who forgot to pick them up. no idea what happened, we either drove over them or they fell off and maybe someone got a free pair. didn't realize until much later. another time he left his small bike pack sitting at a view point when on a road bike trip. He took off up the hill ahead of me and had gone several miles before he realized he didn't have it. I was too far behind to notice. we went back and the pack was still sitting there, luckily. he almost had a heart attack when he realized he'd left his wallet with ID, binoculars, and more sitting there. I have a habit of taking inventory before moving on but he doesn't although he is getting better about making sure all is in the car before driving off, or that the garage door did shut.
anyway, he hasn't done much with the phone and I don't even know the number yet. need to fit in some kind of workout today, probably a metabolic type one.

Valerie, that is good that his bike pack was still there when you went back. Hopefully there is no issues with losing the phone. Does the insurance cover loss?? I know even with extended warranty it costs for repairs. Just not as much.

Good evening ladies,

The meeting went well. Just very long. Did not end until 6:00pm then it was drinks and apps. I had a glass of wine, made sure everyone was in good hands and then said good bye. I still had an hour to drive home.

Heard from jumpsport and they are sending me a new matt and cords. The matt is designed for the 350f which is the same design as my 550 just smaller so I know this will be perfect. Makes complete sense for them to send the matt and cords. This should certainly solve my issue. They are also sending me SB Bounce DVD which I already have. I plan to give to my son's GF who recently bought a rebounder from target! She loves the dvd. I thought that was very nice of Jumpsport.

Diane Sue..I think you will like her bounce dvd. I follow Jesse as she does the advanced moves and I still use my 1.5# ankle weights. Boy do I feel the burn! I really enjoy her streaming bounces too. You can make them as easy or as hard as you want. Your workout was amazing today! Odd you can't get to her workouts. The newest bounce is an easy but enjoyable bounce. Love the music. So energetic.

Valerie...as organized as I am I can be an airhead. I have left stuff behind. Sometimes I recover sometimes not so much. Your husband was very fortunate that time.

Judy... I have never belonged to a gym. I have had visitor passes and gone in and done some cardio but never used the weight machines. My husband thought sure he would never use or want an apple watch. Now he doesn't leave the house without it. Too funny!

Deb...great workout plan! I did not click with To the Matt either. I should revisit though. Sometimes workouts that I did not care for I end up liking. The calorie burn with the Jumpsport is amazing!

Carolyn...hoping your shoulder is feeling good. I can see either of those moves causing the discomfort. I do not mind flying angels but do not go as high as Cathe does... I do detest mountain climbers and pretty much will sub in a different move every time.

Have a great night all!

I did the lower body workout from ICE .. I don't think it's LBB but I can't think of what it's called. also Icy core 2. I was thinking one of you mentioned doing it this week so I pulled it out and did it. I looked for a premix that excluded jacks, and surprise, there is one. I hate jacks. not a bad workout at all, and had time for the core 2 also.
DH has set up most of the phone but will finish tomorrow. It's funny how removing one move you don't want to do erases all the negatives and you can enjoy everything else.
Now Flying Angels..... I don't do those. mountain climbers are hard but I don't mind doing them. I don't LIKE them, but I can do them. jumping does not work for me at all. funny how we all get things sorted out differently.

I belonged to a gym several times but it always deteriorated after about 6 months. I always used the membership but started getting annoyed with people, noise, sticky icky equipment, and realizing how much I could get done at the same time if I were home to do it while working out.
Lori I agree. it pays to go back and re-look at things with fresh eyes once in a while. I enjoyed this workout today and hadn't liked it before, and it was really about jacks. everything else was fine. sometimes that isn't clear on the first run thru something.

diane sue you can buy phone insurance for $12 a month that covers loss, breakage etc. we thought about it but didn't do it. we'll see how it goes.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did the Blizzard Blast and Muscle Meltdown Biceps from the ICE Bootcamp DVD.

Judy, that's great that Chris is working out with you. I have not looked at that To The Mat premix, the Icy core moves must be good to give your legs a break!

Valerie, your husband sounds a little like John, who forgets something either at home when he goes to the office, or at the office when he comes home! He has never left anything on the car and driven off though. We did get the insurance on our phones, at $11 a month each, it sounds high...but since we already had one that crapped out by getting wet ( John's! ) we know that it is worth it. That is how I felt about The Wire, it was so complicated, and with missing half the dialog, it made it even harder. Good idea to read up on it before starting to watch, just to get the premise etc.

Diane Sue, thanks for that link...I took the test and also got the Kindle book. I ended up with "Gastric"...I had an email from Dr Axe all about dessert recipes, I saved it because they really looked good. Great that you ordered that SB workout!

Carolyn, good ideal on the chicken bone broth....nice to have the meat from the chicken to use for other things. I have the beef bones in the freezer, and have it on my "to do" list to make.

Lori, that sounds like an exhausting day, and then having to drive for an hour to get home. That solution from Jumpsport sound perfect. Great that they came through.

A workout, then working in the office this afternoon...

Take care,

Deb we have tried over the years to put in a system of checks and balances. DH is smart but sometimes an airhead.( yep lori, you're not the only one to admit to that) I always set things down together so in a visible pile of stuff. my packs, my hat, poles, gloves. DH on the other hand arrives and sets things on the roof of the car, on top of the tire in the wheelwell. excuse me, but stupid places. how many people drive off with their purse or laptop on the roof of their car? he is a little less prone to do that now. we do what we call a 'twisty check" before we leave a parking place. when we backpacked more we used to do a last check before we left a campsite and looked for little things that could have been missed, and those little green twist tie things are what 'twisties" meant. just a last minute look.
right now he is trying to get the data to transfer but it keeps saying my phone is corrupted. no idea what that means. I tried to show him my notes from the previous phone problems when the pc kept overriding the phone but he won't listen. I have my notes from the last session I had with apple saying how to prioritize. if he screws up the phone numbers again I will kill him. you will read about me in the paper, " Woman Kills Husband over I-phone Contact List".

Carolyn you mentioned that workout yesterday. if I take out jacks, I like it. if I do it enough, maybe I'll add jacks back in.

Deb every series doesn't work for everyone. right now we started the last season of "Homeland". DH sometimes wants to see one that I can't stand so I am sitting thru it. It's very popular apparently, but I can't stand it. only the last season , so not starting over with season 1. I generally don't like spy/ espionage things. I could not get into GOT for some reason.
We are also watching Rectify, one I'm enjoying, but DH is not so happy with. He keeps pushing to watch Dexter. we saw a few episodes before and it grossed me out. I know it was popular. there was a recent netflix original serieso, starting the big guy from Thrones, Jason Moama that was insultingly stupid. something about Hudson bay trading company in maybe 1600's but they did not get basic atmosphere people were fighting in England, and were on Hudson bay in what seemed like a couple days at best. HUH?? just very amateurish and inaccurate.
I like historical dramas if done well. Loved The Crown, only one season so far, about Queen Elizabeth. also John Adams. one on Henry VIII... can't remember the exact name. I liked The Wire a lot but it would have been better to read a little background before starting it again but don't feel bad if you can't get into it. I watched all of Mad Men and somehow didn't work well for me.

Last edited:
Today I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix both workouts for a total of 44 minutes. Calories burned 274, average heart rate 121, and maximum heart rate of 149. My shoulder feels fine today but I was cautious with over head arm movements.

Valerie, I almost always do a modified low impact jack. Sometimes I do a few regular then switch to modified. My husband and I have very different movie preferences. He likes action and constant activity and I prefer a good story that is more relaxing. When we watch television or movies together one of us is usually just there for companionship.

Judy, we were members of a gym for many years and went 2 or 3 times a week. It was a locally owned gym with racquetball courts, tennis courts and a pool in addition to the equipment and classes. My husband loved racquetball and I loved the classes so it was perfect for us. The owners closed the gym and transferred our membership to a large national chain. I didn't care for that and went back to exercising at home.

Hi to Deb, Lori, Diane Sue, and Caitlin.

Today I did Body Max 2 Timesaver Cardio Only premix, 45 minutes, 345 calories, average heart rate 146/ max 174. I then did Ice Chiseled Upper Body 43 minutes, 196 calories. Total time 88 minutes, 541 calories. The cardio came out to a little more than Cathe, I think that it was because I forgot to turn my Fit Bit on when I did the warm up so I paused the MMF app and did it all over again. Plus I had some mix ups and confusion on the premix and redid a little of it. I didn't realize that they did the bonus cardio twice at the start so I went back to look, started over doing combo 1 then changed my mind and went back to the original timesaver. Anyway, I just stopped the Fit Bit at the stretch and did it without counting it so that I was only logging the time given for that workout. I guess I am a bit OCD on some things. I should have just let it keep going Map My Fitness had it at over 400 calories for the cardio.

Lori, that is good that jump sport is doing that. I could see not replacing the whole thing if the mat and cords fit better. I hope that it all works out well for you. That is nice that they are sending the Bounce dvd. That will be nice for your son's GF. I will have my Bounce dvd tomorrow but it won't be till later in the day. When I got that first free preview I followed the other woman too.

Valerie, I have done that premix and really liked it. It is nice when you do not want so much jumping. I think we have insurance on our phones because I remember seeing it on the paperwork. I don't remember asking for it though and when we were in the ATT store they repeatedly told me that if we go ahead with the process of getting another phone and mine has been wet or damaged that it will be sent back to me and I will be charged for the new phone. I kept telling them it happened with the update. Anyway, they finally have the old phone so hopefully that is it. They e mailed me that it had been received. We have never lost or broken a phone. My husband had one stolen in Kosovo when his apartment was ransacked. I did not know about it till I got an over 2000 dollar phone bill. ATT was good about working with me though and they tracked the usage to another country. My husband had to get the report that was filed with the police there and send it, ATT took the charges off. That was the only time something happened to a phone. Anyway he did not want to worry me so didn't tell me. I have never belonged to a gym. My husband worked for one when we first were married and I never went. It would not be for me. I would be more apt to get up and shower and fix my hair and make up before I went to the gym, not do much because people might be watching, and then go home do something and shower all over again. It is just not my idea of something I would like to do. My daughter goes with her daughter at the college gym now.

Deb, mine came out as Candida Gut. I think a lot has to do with medicines that I took for a very long time like Nexium, till I realized dietary changes was a much better alternative. I have developed reactions to certain antibiotics . I signed up for the last webinar Dr Axe had on leaky gut but only got to watch a little of it. It was our anniversary and I was having a hard time watching it and paying attention to the movie my husband had going so I finally dropped out of it.

we got the phone set up with the help of a call to apple. it was pretty complicated for reasons I don't understand but had to do with syncing everything, having the data entered on the phones stay in place and share with our pc, and the data on the pc NOT share with the phone. that is where I had the nightmare a year ago when the devices kept sharing back and forth and over riding every time I corrected something.
there were other issues but I let DH do it. a sysem update, not sure if connected to linking the new phone. I hid out in my office. the apple people are so good! they know what they're doing, call back when they say they will, and make sure all is working correctly. we never got that kind of help with an android phone or any Microsoft product. it's made us loyal to the apple brand. some other issue involving an old ipod that was syncing in there too. not sure we need it anymore. we had a bunch of podcasts and music on it but they apparently transferred to the phone. any ideas about what we could use it for? we used the ear bud connection on the iphone 6 to play thru the cars sound system. the 7 doesn't have the same plug. will need to look that up.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did ICE Low Impact Time Saver #3, "Blizzard Blast with Muscle Meltdown Back. Great back workout.

Valerie, I had to LOL about your being in the newspaper, but I know how frustrating that can be. Great that the Apple tech people were able to help. They have always been good when I called on any issue. We got our phones at the Verizon store, and they did everything regarding the set ups....contacts etc. I would not have enjoyed having to do them myself at all. I know you don't like listening to music on the treadmill etc, so not sure what else you can use the iPod for. Someone else mentioned The Crown...I think I will look into that one.

Carolyn, great workout! I don't think I have that KCM one, but may look into it. I also do 95% low impact jacks when Cathe does regular ones, and especially when she does those air jacks!

Diane Sue, great workout, although too bad you had some starts and stops. I always take the time from my HRM...no matter what the DVD etc says the workout time is supposed to be. If I am doing something, I want it to count! :). John and I met at a local gym, that was a national chain. We kept our memberships ( I had a lifetime one)...for years and he actually used to love going to the step classes. Somehow that went by the wayside, and once I started working out at home, I had no desire to go to a gym again. I like not having to get dressed and drive somewhere to work out.

A workout, then maybe a manicure, or hit the attic again..mmm....now that is a tough choice!

Take care,

Valerie, I have one of those little clip on ipods that I used to use a lot when working out on the treadmill or with the hoop. It sits in a cup and it has probably been 4 years or longer since I have used it. I am not even sure where the charging cable is or what it looks like. Apple is okay on the phone or if you have an appointment in the store. They are just always so busy you end up waiting on hold. T mobile was always really good when we went in and fixing problems. I rarely had much of a wait. They just do not cover rural areas well. I tend to handle a lot of the electronic stuff myself. I am the one that generally reads the manuals and researches. My husband just pushes buttons till he finds something that works.

Deb, you are doing good on the Blizzard Blasts and Muscle Meltdowns this week. The manicure sounds more pleasant to me, but then the gratification of accomplishment is nice when you do something like clean out the attic :)

Deb The Crown has only one season so far. but starts in WWII time period. I don't follow british royalty much, but so far this is excellent. serious and subtle, great characters. John Lithgow as Winston Churchill. highly recommend! we streamed it.

we 've had good luck going thru Costco for the phone itself, and then using apple phone support. the Verizon store here has been disappointing, and our choice is only Verizon. others don't have decent coverage where we need it. I don't think we are total dummies with electronics but best to start right. there was a conflict of some sort going on. between an ipod, ipad, and 2 phones something was wrong but its all sorted out. we've had outstanding service from apple phone support. the physical stores are too busy, a total zoo.

We were using the ipod in the car to listen to podcasts while driving. will maybe find a use for it in our new house where internet service will probably be less convenient. I keep thinking people used to hook them up to little speaker systems?

I did 20 on the treadmill for a warm up then muscle meltdown chest, and icy core 1. I have a better workout if I turn off the music. (are you all tired of me complaining about music?) I liked muscle meltdown chest and ripped right thru with 12 lbs. will add weighted gloves or try 15 next time. 12 felt light but I stayed with it and tacked on some extra reps instead.

home workouts avoid the whole commute business. I like cooking or running the washer/dryer at the same time. multitasking on things I don't like to have running if I'm not home. I never felt efficient at the gym. always waiting for someone to get done with equipment, or having people waiting while you're using something. the weights were aimed at men ( long time ago) and it was hard for women to use them. most were too heavy, a shortage lighter dumbbells.

Today I did ICE Chiseled Upper Body and Icy Core 1. Good workout. I prefer to avoid the gym experience these days. Valerie, I feel the same about wasting time commuting back and forth. I have considered joining again because of the Silver Sneakers program but I haven't found a gym that I like.

Deb, Cardio Quick Fix is a good workout. Workout one is less intense than workout two which makes it just enough to do both in one session.

My daughter, who is a historian, is participating in a PBS documentary on The American Experience which will air in April. The topic is World War I. She has been working with them for over a year. I am excited for her, but she has been very pragmatic about it--just another professional working group.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Today I did Ice Chiseled Lower body with the blizzard blast 65 minutes,395 calories. I used mostly 15# dumbbells, a few exercises with 12's, and a couple of cardio segments I stayed with Cathe's 8#. I then put in Z Cut Six Pack Power Abs and did 8 minutes of the 26 minute workout. I forgot why I hardly do that one. A lot of cardio in it like skates, push ups and plank moves, I did the first set of the exercises and when she started the second round I moved on to the next group of exercises. I ended up stopping at the planks where you jump up off the floor. That one really hurts the wrists and shoulders. Total workout was 73 minutes, 441 calories burned. My Suzanne Bowen workout came a little while ago. I will have to check some of it out in the morning. Hopefully I have time for a workout. We have an appointment in the morning so I have to get up early.

Valerie, I think that where you live and the employees is what makes the store. AT&T was good in the smaller city we lived in before we moved back to Oklahoma City. They even took my cell pictures off my iPhone for me and gave me instructions on how to retrieve them through the cloud. There was a store here in Oklahoma City that we always went to and never had a problem, but they closed the small stores down and they are all larger. That is great that the Apple people were able to help you with it without going to a store. Verizon has good tutorials online. Much better for my Galaxy. AT&T was so hard trying to troubleshoot and set up. I got most of my information from Verizon. I remember having a little wire that plugged into my ipod and into my car. The vehicles do not have that feature anymore. Most have USB and that sort of thing. It would be nice in my car. I forgot one day that I do not even have a CD player in my car. Just a radio. I told my granddaughter she could finish listening to a CD and realized that she could not. I used to listen to Pod casts when I would make the 100 mile trip to Oklahoma City when I had my escape. I would need to figure something out if I ever had to do that again. I throw in laundry and will make a run downstairs to toss things in the dryer. It does get something done while I am working out. Yesterday I roasted chicken while I worked out for a Chicken Pot Pie recipe I made for family dinner. You are right, that would not get done if I went out to a gym.

Lori, does the SB bounce workouts all use the bar on the rebounder? I hope she doesn't lean too heavily on that bar with the dvd. I told my husband I want the Fit Tower. I guess I will see how it goes.

Good evening ladies,

Still plugging along with SB's Detox Challenge. We are on week 11 of 12 weeks. I will be sad when it is over as I have really enjoyed it. Today was Cardio Interval 2 nd then I followed with JS 20 min arms. Been a while since I have done this one. Total workout time was 80 mins and 497 cal.

I am really tired so going to be quick tonight. Looks like everyone is enjoying Ice in one way or another. You all are making me want to jump right in with you!

Valerie...Apple customer service has always been great when I have had to contact them.

Diane Sue..looking forward to your thoughts on the BarreAmped DVD. Again, with her work outs you can make them as hard as you want. The only time I think you really put weight on the bar is during the arm segment when you do pullups. Most of the time you are using it for balance. The Fit Tower worked great for me when I used it before getting the actual bar. Just make sure you have heavy weights to anchor.

Carolyn...that is really awesome your daughter is a historian. Please let us know when it will air.

Deb...a manicure sounds really nice!

Have a great night all!

Carolyn, we must have been posting around the same time since I missed your post earlier. I bet you are excited for your daughter. It sounds like it would be an interesting program. I have not heard of the Silver Sneakers program. It seems that we have so many gyms going up all over around here. Lots of Cross Fit gyms have gone up. We have Orange Therapy around the corner that just opened. I told my husband it was funny because on one end of the new shopping center is Orange Therapy and on the other end is a Physical Therapy place. Then there is the big gyms as well.

Lori, I can probably figure something out for the pull ups. My bar may work for that. I just had a hard time with the one free one pulling away from the bar with my full bodyweight. I felt it was bending toward me which can't be good. Which Model Jump sport is it that you are having the problems with? I didn't realize that there were that many models till I looked. So I am guessing a small one, mid size, and large are the basic sizes?

The smaller jumpsport with the issue is the 350i. Seems like this is a rare event as I have not seen any post about the cords popping. The new matt they are sending me is the same design as my 550 which makes me very happy.

Did a mt bike yesterday at the tree farm for my birthday. A good ride. 2 hrs 10 min for the whole road circuit including the big hill that doesn't seem big anymore. We have only had 7 days since feb 1 without rain .....long very wet spring.
DH got me a polar chest strap/wrist watch I tried it yesterday it. It works ok. Would not wear it all the time, this is not like a fitbit. fine for working out. it does time and heart rate. we rode to take advantage of a partly sunny afternoon. My resting heart rate is low 50's. most riding I was 120 to 130 with harder uphills 140. As soon as I stop my rate drops quickly... need to look fast . On the big hill the watch switched to time only, need to repeat that for a number. my heart rate is normally low and if it got to 150 it would be surprising.

My Medicare supplement plan has silver sneakers. I atill would not waste half the day going to a gym. took so much time! Diane sue you are so right.... I used to get dressed,do my face /hair drive to the gym, work out, drive home, shower, redo face and hair. Took half the day ! No time to do much else. Switched to running because I could do that from my front door then gradually added equipment to fill times when running didn't work. you would have to live 5 min from the gym for it to work.

we used a different Verizon store once and they were competent but the store near us is always long lines and no decent help.

lori hope you get the jumpsport thing worked out.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did the ICE premix with a Blast and muscle Meltdown Triceps. Today was the one that is on the To The Mat workout, Muscle Meltdown shoulders, There is no Blast with this one. My computer crashed again so it is at the tech guy's house right now....I have to leave to meet my friend....will come back to read all the posts from yesterday a little later.....

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.