Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/26

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, just agility class which was fun.

Carolyn, I first did pyramid weight lifting with Bill Phillips Body for Life book came out. I was so thrilled with the results. I sometimes think of going back and doing a rotation of that, but it is something you do on your own, no DVD etc. I wish we had weather that would allow the farmer's market's to open earlier, so great that you can get those fresh vegetables so soon.

Valerie, even with the weights and equipment all set and ready, Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body is so fast you can;t even get up and just pick up the weight you need! The Lower is not as fast. I keep forgetting to use that option on the DVD player to slow down the playback. That had to be frustrating with the DW....yes, why have error "codes" if there are no explanation for them anywhere?

Diane Sue, I hope you are not hurt by that fall! No good to have a fan in our attic! Way too much dust to blow around. I just have to make myself finish it in the window of time that I have. I will try Googling more on why my PC will not recognize my phone...this is the part of technology I hate, as I am sure everyone else does too. Yes, that total body Premix of the Pyramid workouts is a hidden gem.

A workout, and HouseMax for me today!

Take care,

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday I caught up with my SB workouts. Today I plan to do a Cathe Live...thinking Total Body Hiit. Trying to get in a Live over the weekends. Afterwards going to do a powerjump premix on my smaller rebounder. I know the clips will not work. They make no sense. I am going to be prepared to "hop" on the larger one to finish out before I get too fustrated.

Diane Sue...oh we love our pets but boy they can wreck havoc. One of these days we are going to trip and really hurt ourselves due to Nilla constantly at our feet. Amazing it has not happend. The larger jumpsport is 12 inches off the ground. I assume the smaller is the same. I have the Amy Bento workout..found it on youtube one day so I grabbed it. I remember thinking that it looked tough and no way would I be jumping off!

Deb...weird you phone will not sync. Hope you can get that worked out. We have a farmers market but it is open only one day a week and only for several hours. I never can make it due to my work hours. Never understood why it is not open over the weekend at some point.

Valerie...32g should be fine for you. I have 64g for my phone and it is more than enough. I do not load my phone up with a lot of music so never needed more memory. However, my ipad is 128g and there are times I almost max this out. My video editing really fills it up. I have purchased a usb adapter so I can easily transfer back and forth when I need too. I thought of purchasing the 240g but figured I would just fill that up too. There really is no need that I keep so much on my Ipad so the 128g forces me to transfer to my external hard drive.

Carolyn...thanks for the description of the Pyramid workout. It sounds like a workout I would like. When I finally get my workout room back I will try it out. For the past 2 months I have been working out upstairs. My son sort of took over again since he has been back and forth so much. I do not mind. I like having him here. I have slowly brought up most of my dumbbells up to 20#, bands, glides, matt and both trampolines, so I have had everything I need so far. My little sitting room looks very unorganized though!

Hi to Judy and Caitlyn!

Deb, nice that agility class was fun yesterday. Tomorrow will be my house max and go to the bank day. It seems this time of year would be best for working in the attic. I remember doing that and organizing where things were placed in our last home. The oversized garage was detached from the house and had a huge attic. I could stand up in it which was nice. That would be a big project. We are slowly going through totes in the garage and attic. So much stuff is there that we just look at when we move and shove back in the attic.

Lori, yes, I think 12 inch would be difficult for some of that leaping. I saw Amy's on you tube. Not all of them are there though. These workouts are what sparked my love for rebounding though. I have done them a lot and guess I kno learned ways to modify and make them work. Keli Roberts is a bit less intense. I still need to get the Polyperformance Plyometrics one polished out or maybe when I get the new dvd player it will work since I am still having issues playing Rock m Sock m as well. I think that I saw Kelis on you tube yesterday.

I did a spin a 40 min premix and core 1 yesterday. Sweat. I don't like the music in this series. I almost stopped it and turned off the sound track but I had to interrupt the spin twice because I was baking and needed to interrupt twice and the break helped. I don't think Cathe is saying anything ground breaking during the spin, but I hate the music drowning her out. there are several songs I didn't like to begin with, but hearing them over and over is not helping.
this disk lacks the countdown timer. the timer helps me work harder. I can see when the end will be. maybe this works differently for other people, but if I see 1 minute 20 seconds left and know there's a break, I will go much harder than when times are open ended.

Lori thanks for the confirmation on phone memory needed. I would probably been OK with 16 gigs on our current phone. this was the main issue people complained about ..... not buying extra memory. It can't be added later. so I bought the extra. we don't keep many pictures on it and don't put music on there either at least not so far. I'm confidant 32 will be plenty . plan on buying it tomorrow when it's less busy than weekends.
Yep, cats get underfoot too.. they come up quietly right next to or behind you. at least dogs are noisier. our cat always runs up and down stairs winding back and forth. it's common cat behavior but it's like they are trying to trip you!

Deb good luck on the attic clean out. we don't have one but we have the basement. I usually pause the workout manually between exercises if the exercises themselves are paced OK. if the exercises themselves are too fast, I use the 80% button. I don't have the pyramid workout.

every new appliance, I file the owners manual. if it came in 6 languages, I toss those extra pages. I thought I'd accidentally tossed a page with the error codes, but no.. I looked them up yesterday. they are available in lots of places but are not in the manual. no idea why that was eliminated. I printed 2 copies, one for here and one for new house. this problem had nothing to do with the DW itself. it would have been a huge waste of time and energy to have a service call for that. took us 2 minutes to fix once we knew where to look. don't understand why the line clogged. I wonder if debris got in the line at the install and it took months to work its way to the vent.

Today is my rest day. I didn't realize that the Pyramid DVD has a total body option. I will remember that in the future. That would have worked better for me on Friday to get upper and lower body done on the same day.

We are working on cleaning out the garage. It's so easy to accumulate a lot of junk in a storage space. My husband likes to save everything "just in case".

Enjoy your afternoon.

Today is my rest day. We are going out for our anniversary dinner this evening.

Deb, I did not hurt myself when I landed on the floor, but it made me wary of leaping off the rebounder with Gertie being persistent on getting my attention. Normally she gets excited when I am on the rebounder and will run and get a toy. She has finally quit trying to put the toys on the rebounder after me telling her no multiple times and tossing them off.

Carolyn, it was a long time before I discovered the total body premix on the Pyramid workouts. I had used the Pyramid up and Pyramid down mixes but never did they Total Body. After I discovered it, I used it a lot. Garages are a good place to drop off the items that you don't want lying around the house. I try to put them in a proper place, but sometimes I have no clue what would be the area to put the items. There was a couple of garbage disposer items left that my son in law did not use when he installed our garbage disposer and I just set them on a shelf in the garage. Where to put plumbing items ?? I have a paint, stain, wallpaper corner of the garage on shelving The thing is with saving things like the plumbing pieces, unless there is a simple place to look we would be more apt to go purchase new parts. But, we have containers of random stuff. I keep saving protein and greens containers and trying to get them labeled so we know what is in them. My daughter puts all of her things in clear containers and totes and labels them with a labeler. She is so much better at organizing that sort of stuff. I know where things are inside but not the garage.

Valerie, I am with you on the countdown timer. When I am ready to stop I see the segment is almost over. Then I see the next is only 4 minutes and I go on. It just seems to keep me going. I did like a lot of the music on the second two spin workouts the best. The Cycle Max one was just okay and this last one was nothing special to drive me to be able to hear a favorite tune.
I keep all of my receipts and manuals in a cabinet for appliances and home repair items added. I just went through them two days ago because I had a few that we did not need anymore. Also I was able to look at the costs and square footage of carpet that a previous owner had installed. Also the age of the appliances so I knew what was oldest. I need to get the switch fixed on my microwave convection oven hood. It was not a low cost item originally and is 6 years old so deciding whether to repair or replace as it works but the fan runs when you open the door. It is not as easy to repair yourself with it being the vent etc.. From what I read there are 3 switches to check out and it requires more disassembly.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a time saver premix of ICE Chiseled Lower Body.

Lori, let me know what you think of LIVE Total Body HIIT, It looked like a good one in the clip. Are you going to ask for a replacement rebounder? I think you would like the Pyramid workouts, they are tough! No cardio, just a great method of lifting.

Valerie, good luck with the new phone...since you are getting the same one, it should be pretty easy to do. Will they set it up for you in the store?

Carolyn, the total body workout on the Pyramid DVD is a really good one.

Diane Sue, Happy Anniversary! I hear you on not knowing where to put "stuff"....my whole basement is a mess of things without a place to be put! Same for the garage. John is a pack rat, and will not throw anything out. Drives me crazy. Our basement is made up of many small rooms....I had them organized and set up for certain things, like one for all cleaning, painting, car stuff etc, but instead of putting things back on shelves, he just puts it on the floor in the room. Eventually you can't even walk in there any more. Same for the tool room and the planting/outdoor garden room, laundry room....you get the picture.

A workout, then maybe going to my friends to watch the finale of Suits..(finally!!)...class tonight,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did To The Mat with Icy Core 2. I have an appointment this morning so I will do a workout this afternoon. Chris is planning on going back to the gym tonight so I will probably go with him and do something there too.

Deb-I didn't know that the Pyramid dvd a had total body premix. I will have to try that. Chris has the Body for Life book. That would be good for putting together a gym workout. We usually look on Bodybuilding.com for gym routines and we've used one called "Max OT".

Diane Sue-Happy Anniversary! I don't think I've ever done the Pyramids total body premix. I'm going to take a look at that.

Valerie-Nice that you are getting the iPhone 7! I bet you will love it! I agree about Cycle Sweat, I prefer a countdown timer too. I do the same thing with appliance manuals. I have a plastic storage container with all of them. It makes it a lot easier when something goes wrong and I need a manual quickly.

Lori-Total Body HiiT sounds good. I need to do more of the Live workouts. Shadow is the same way, always at our feet and running ahead of us. I'm surprised she hasn't tripped us.

Hi to Caitlin!

Judy

it will be a first for us, two working phones. I've always been 'keeper" of the shared phone. we never needed a second one. people always look questioningly:confused::confused:o_Oo_O at us when we say we share one, like that's impossible. neither of us is that strongly connected to a phone. DH rarely needed one. we still use the land line and he didn't want to carry one around. it will be interesting to see how often we lose them when it is the only phones we have.
only made sense to get a similar phone. I didn't realize that when the 7 came out, that the 6 was gone. mine is a 6s. they seem to be the same size and use the same charging cords etc. we will get them at Costco and usually the guy at the kiosk walks you thru initial set up. I don't know if all the phone numbers/programs transfer automatically. will find out soon. it didn't sound like the phones differ much in features. we might get an otterbox for his.

Judy I keep all the manuals /receipts in a file cabinet. new appliances are always a rush to install. it's later you can look at the manuals and find out details. I'm still surprised error codes are not included. most appliances have a page for them.

if all 3 of us like the countdown timer, and it's not included, there must be other opinions. spinning is intense. adding tension, go faster, get up and down... I'm likely to work harder if an end is in sight.

yesterday afternoon got out of hand and I missed a workout. will do something today.

ETA we finished The Wire last night. wow. it was complex but very good. you need subtitles on this one especially at first. a whole lot of layers and complexity to this series. Gritty would describe it. language is pretty well filled with profanity but it seems right for the story line. if that bothers you, then not a series you'll enjoy. a lot of territory covered, multiple interlaced story lines. politics, police work, lawyers, drugs, family issues, it wound it all together. we watched at least part of it before, but a long time ago. I followed it much better this time, parts I remembered. most I didn't. I think we gave up because of no subtitles available then. we did Netflix disks, not sure if it's available for streaming.

Last edited:
My workout today was ICE Chiseled Lower Body Blast. I have a couple of errands to get to. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Today I did Cathe's Pyramid total body combo mix, 55 minutes, 286 calories (I used my calorie calculator as Fit Bit gave me 169 calories, Map my Fitness gave me 395 which is 1 calorie above the workout manager) I also did Ice Low Impact Sweat Workout 1 mix, 28 minutes, 191 caloreis to warm up and finished the workouts with Barre Amped Lower Body Stretch, 20 minutes, 42 calories. Total calories burned 519.Since we were talking about the Pyramid workout I thought that I would do it and post it. I had to go dig out my worksheets from an old binder.
weights
Legs
squats superset with weight 30#, 40# 60#; reps 12,10,8
plié squats weight 30#, 40#, 60# ; reps 12,10,8
leg press weight 30# 40#, 50#; 12,10,8 reps
Chest flies superset with 12's, 15's. 15's; 12,10,8 reps
press 12's, 15's, 15's; 12,10,8 reps
back
pullover superset with 12'#, 15'# 20#; 12,10,8 reps
double arm rows 15's, 20's, 25's ; 12,10,8 reps
Legs
leg press 30#,40#,50#; 12,10,8 reps
lunges 20#, 40#, 50#; 12,10,8 reps
shoulders giant set
back raise seated 5's, 8's, 10's ; 12,10,8 reps
side lateral raise 5's,8's,10's ; 12,10,8 reps
front raise 5's, 8's 10's; 12,10,8 reps
Legs
barbell deadlifts 30#, 50#, 60#; 12,10,8 reps
calves bodyweight
Triceps superset
dumbbell kickbacks 8's, 10's, 12's ; 12,10,8 reps
dumbbell overhead extension 15#, 20#, 25#
Biceps superset
hammer curl 12's, 15's, 17.5's ;12,10,8 reps
biceps curl 12's 15's 17.5's ; 12,10, 8 reps

Deb, I like Ice Chiseled Lower Body, it is not one that I have a dread of when I do it. Enjoy finishing watching Suits today.

Judy, I still need to get To the Mat so I have my complete Ice set. I am sure I would use it once in awhile. The total body Pyramid is at the bottom middle of the menus for both workouts. It says Combo. They don't even have the chapters for it listed on the Workout Manager.

Valerie, when I had the iphones and ipads I only purchased the Otterbox cases for them. They protect well.

Carolyn, good job getting the workout in before errands. I have to go out and run errands. I would rather spend a relaxed day at home myself.

I am back from errands. I just ordered the Dr Axe special of the bone broth collagen and the bone broth protein since it was 50% off on the second item and today is the last day. I am not out , but I am on my second container right now of the bone broth protein powder and I have used the collagen before and liked it. It saved me 20 dollars. I looked at the Organic whole chickens at Sprouts today and thought that bone broth could get rather expensive when paying 15.00 for 1 chicken. We have been talking about buying a side of beef again and I will definitely take the soup bones. I am back to trying to incorporate a bit more fish into my diet. My appetite for meats and poultry has not been very good lately. Last night I got charbroiled smoked Salmon for dinner at the restaurant and was surprised that their veggie side was Brussels sprouts. They were really good. Then again they had butter on them. I went all out for the ceasar salad. I usually just get a dinner salad. They even had cucumber slices soaked in vinegar with some shallots and dill which was tasty. We have not been to Charleston's restaurant in a long time. I really did enjoy the food.

Good morning ladies...

I loved Live Total Body Hiit. Decided to use my jumpsport and it was great with this workout. It was close to an hour plus I added on a quick SB target. Total calories was 555. Yesterday I did a few SB bounces. A couple from her DVD and then a Body By Simone youtube workout. 53 mins/ 350 cal.

I tried the clips and within a minute a cord popped. That was it. I switched to the other. Yesterday I asked for a replacement. I will let you know their response. At this point I am not even comfortable using it knowing a cord could pop at any moment and when it does it smacks you in the leg. Hurts for a quick second. So you can see how this is not enjoyable.

Valerie...good luck with your phone. My husband and I could never share a phone!

Diane Sue and Carolyn..great workouts! And Happy Anniversary Diane Sue!

Judy...I love that you and your husband are both interested in fitness. My husband is slowly making it a habit. Right now he is so sporadic. He is still using the rebounder though. Go figure!

Have a great day all. I have a GM meeting today for our Region 1 managers. Another meeting I planned for 75 people. It is a one day event so it will be all over soon!

Have a great day all!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did the ICE Total Body Metabolic premix that has a Blizzard Blast and Muscle Meltdown Chest. I plan on doing each of these this week for a “one body part per day” rotation.

Judy, how do you like "To the Mat? I really did not care for it...only keeping the DVD because it has Muscle Meltdown Shoulders on it. Yes, the Body for Life workouts would be great for a gym workout. We keep all of our appliance etc manuals in a big brown legal binder....one of those huge ones with the rubber band thing that closes it. There were so many of them that I could not fit them in file folders any longer. Every once in a while I go through it and cull out the books from things we no longer have.

Valerie, I tried watching The Wire....but at the time I did not know about the Closed Caption option on the iPad....so it was difficult to understand and I gave up. I should go back and try it again.

Carolyn, I just did that workout Sunday...had to add it in because there is no Muscle Meltdown for legs.

Diane Sue, Nice job on the Pyramid workout...I think I will put the that premix on my "to do" list, now that it has come up, I remember how much I liked it. I wish I would have known about that sale on Dr Axe....I should try his bone broth protein powder. Now the collegen is for what again?

Lori, great calorie burn! I agree, you should not have those things snapping on your legs! Hope the meeting went off without a hitch! At least you didn't have to travel for it.

A workout, then class this morning…

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a Spinerval in the afternoon and went to the gym with Chris later in the evening. We did a total body circuit, leg extensions & curls, leg press, seated row, lat pulldowns, tricep extensions, preacher curls, chest press & rear delts, 2-3 sets of each. I was able to do good weight on everything but the leg press. I'm going to have to go to the gym more often to get my strength back on that one. Chris did really well and I think he is motivated to keep it up now.

Deb-I didn't like To The Mat that much at first. I like it for days that I don't want to do standing leg work. I really liked the premix that has the Icy Core segments mixed in. That's the one I'll do from now on when I do it.

Valerie-if Chris hadn't needed a smart phone for work I don't think he would have gotten one and he would have been fine with me having the main phone. Now that he has an iPhone he loves it and wouldn't go without one. He was the same way with the Garmin running watch-he said he didn't want one but I got him to use mine once and he was hooked. Now he can't run without his Garmin.

Lori-That is terrible about the jumpsport cords. I hope they give you a replacement.

Diane Sue-That sounds like a great dinner! I was going to do the pyramid premix today but after going to the gym last night I think I'll wait until tomorrow and do a cardio workout today.

Hi to Carolyn & Caitlin!

Judy

We loaded and unloaded about 2 cords of wood to start yesterday. Lots of lifting and twisting not a true weight workout but I am pleasantly sore today. Then the predicted rain didn't arrive on time so we did a 15 mile bike ride on the trail. Very quiet and pleasant riding and close to 60 degrees. Decided the phone could wait a day since rain was coming

Deb they cover a lot of ground in The Wire. Some storylines easy to understand, some not. I recommend with some reservations the language is annoying at first but I got used to it and didn't need subtitles that much after while. lots of slang, and nuanced f-bombs. Kind of an inner city Sopranos but grittier and lots of stories at once. we didn't find it streaming but went with Netflix rental disks. think it was made close to 15 yrs ago so we had several disks with skipping and stopping problems. You can also go online and read a little about it. I didn't do that until we were finished with it, and it would help with some more complicated parts. there is a huge cast of not well known people. sometimes someone shows up and you can't remember where they were from in the story earlier.

started this earlier but had to get up and going. raining today ...this has been one rainy year so far. will do phone today. we will see how good DH will be about keeping the phone with him.

Lori did it come with a warranty? it sounds like it needs to be replaced if the "fix" doesn't fix the problem. I've always thought a lot of companies make "exercise" equipment anticipating most people will buy and only use once or twice and then put it aside. you are NOT that person.

I forgot about my decision to do To the Mat. been busy and riding replaces leg workouts for me. not the same thing, but if my legs are already tired, I skip doing something I don't want to do anyway.

congrats on your anniversary diane sue. I've never had Brussels sprouts in a restaurant. I like them a lot, but I like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage etc. I would have enjoyed that salmon too.

Last edited:
Deb, collagen is supposed to help joints, ligaments, skin, hair and nails, gut health and I think Dr Axe mentions a couple of other things. Their is collagen in the bone broth as well. There are different types of collagen that address different areas. Dr Axe Collagen generally has more than one type in it.

Lori, they really should give you a not her jumpsport. They could face a law suit if someone is injured or even if several pop at once someone could really be hurt while jumping. I saw SB has some new workouts and a try th e m free. I will try today but I can never seem to get them to play anymore. I used to be able to just click on it and it would play.

Judy, great workout. When I had my Bowflex I could do my full 310 lbs for leg press which I think is probably about half what they say it is by feel. Having the equipment in the gym is a great advantage for being able to increase weight. Yes, a day between weights is probably a good idea since you just hit everything.

Today I did RWH Low Impact HiiT Two. I felt a slight twinge in my right shoulder towards the end when I was doing the flying angels. Maybe I was being too energetic with the arm lifts or it could have been the mountain climbers from plank position. I used some of the anti inflammatory cream that I have just in case.

Deb, good luck with the muscle meltdowns and one body part per day. I have done a few of them but it isn't my favorite weight schedule.

Valerie, unloading 2 cords of wood sounds like a weight workout to me. You can call it functional weight work.

Lori, I hope that the Jumpsport company replaces your trampoline. That is definitely a safety issue. I hope your meeting goes well today.

Judy, it's great that you and your husband can workout together. It is very supportive when you are working on similar goals.

Diane Sue, homemade bone broth can be very expensive. I like to simmer the chicken for about an hour then take it out. I remove the meat from the bones then return the carcass to the pot and simmer for a long slow time. I can use the chicken meat in soup, salads, or some other dish.

My workout is finished. I did a Rapid Fire 3 Premix from page 1, Rock Steady Core Blast 53 minutes (this eliminates the weight section) 417 calories, followed by the Heavy Bag segment 14 minutes, 75 calories. I finished off with Z cut six pack abs workout 2 with the stretch, 27 minutes 163 calories. This is the hardest ab workout that I have, I used a 5# dumbbell. I am always sweating through this one. heart rate was 115 average/ 143 max. Total time was 94 minutes, calories burned 655.

Carolyn, I was thinking that the taking the chicken off the bones would give me that to use for other dishes. I generally slow cook chicken or roast it and shred it to put in the freezer for recipes. It cuts off the step of cooking it first.

Hi all...i am at my meeting and decided to hop on and read posts.

This morning I did the new SB bounce workouts she just uploaded. The music was great and I enjoyed it. It is a nice easy bounce with barre thrown in. Was less than 15 minutes and that was pretty much all I had time for. I needed to leave early and will be home late tonight. Between this 15 minute workout and my running around today, I know I will feel worked when I get home.

I have not heard from Jumpsport as of yet but I am sure I will. Even though I am disappointed with the cords popping their customer service has been great. I feel confident they will make this right. I didn't want to sound like I was down on this company at all.

I will be back later to respond to your posts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.