Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/7

Lori I'm so very sorry that your husband is having so many issues. And it's an especially tough time to have someone in the hospital. Sending healing thoughts to him and hugs to you both.

Valerie congrats on hitting the weight goal!

This morning as back to STS for me and the first disk of Meso 2. I like the longer rests and the fact that at the end of the workout they allow me to have everything put away except the very last weights I'm using.

I think when Nick eventually gets somewhere he can have an IP, I'll give him mine and get a combo IP/air fryer. Between you guys and my sister it's moved up my "I want" list.

Cathy-we love our air fryer. I had no idea how much we would use it. An IP/air fryer combo sounds even better.

I did 15 on the elliptical, 50 knee push ups, 32 triceps pushups, abs from X train, and 4 abbreviated pull ups. I definitely get up/down movement now but nowhere near full range. did not get to ski today so will try tomorrow.

also bicep curls with new bands.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Today I did Live Upper Body Shred, 48 minutes, 282 calories. Just a quick bit of info on this one, I liked it a lot, but she does a LOT of shoulder work, more than any other body part.

Carolyn, thanks for the tip on using the oven for that salmon recipe. We do have a toaster oven that can be used as a broiler so that is what I would do.

Cathy, good job with sticking with STS. It's a tough commitment, but worth it.

Valerie, nice workout combo yesterday!

Hi to Judy, Diane Sue, and Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did Step Blast. The third combo remains at the top of my favorite combo list. I have to say though, that I pretty much have to ignore the way Cathe cues that fast foot repeater move. Same with when she does it in Party Rockin' Step 1, I can't do it to her count. My feet do not compute it that way. Then I followed that up with the abs from P30. Really not my thing. I've done them before, but they aren't growing on me.

Valerie great job with the workout and the progress on the pull ups!

Deb great job on the Live Upper Body Shred. I haven't checked that one out.

This morning I did RWH Plyo HiiT One for 28 minutes and 203 calories burned. My average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 157. I did very little actual Plyo and kept it mostly low impact. After that I did Jane Adams Yoga for Beginners, Hip Opener practice. That was 30 minutes and 96 calories burned.

Cathy, great job with starting Meso 2 and Step Blast. I have been tempted many times to get an air fryer, but so far I have resisted. They seem to take up a lot of space and I have a lot of kitchen gadgets. I love to cook and I have a weakness for trying new things .

Valerie, great job with the elliptical and all of those push ups! Do you like the new bands?

Deb, nice work with Live Upper Body Shred. I felt like my workout yesterday, Metabolic Total Body, had a lot of shoulder work too.

Hello to Judy, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Yes I like the bands. I bought the set of 4. I already had 2 bands, one that was too easy and one that was too hard. I used both but had to be selective. I like 4 choices because I'm strong on some moves, not on others, and one always works. My old ones have big plastic handles that get in the way. I took them to MT where they will be fine for the workouts there.

we tried skiing again this morning but it was a waste of time. all that wet snow yesterday froze into boilerplate. ugh. no good. indoor workout again later today.

Carolyn I like the air fryer because its faster than the regular oven. IMO it does the same process but without preheating and faster. I can put squash pieces or chopped sweet potatoes in it and have them done in 15 minutes while the regular oven will take at least 30, de[ending on how big the pieces and how done you like them. I toast nuts in the air fryer too. I love toasted nuts. they go fast, need to be careful at first. mine has a loud fan that DH hates. I didn't think oven fries were better in the AF. the tray space is limited so it limits amount. I did cauliflower flowerets last night and same thing. either works.

I know what you mean.... gadget overload! I traded out my toaster oven for the air fryer, and took toaster oven to MT. there's only so much counter space. don't want every inch covered.

This morning was Disk 14 Legs. I’ve never understood why she rearranged the muscle groups, since it lengthens the time for certain areas to go without being worked. While doing that, I somehow managed to slam a weight into my left thumb and create a small, instant blood blister. I also repeated a bad word a few times. Was very painful. Really thought the nail would become a new shade, but so far it’s just the blister.

Valerie sorry that your attempt to ski didn’t work. Cold enough here that our snow is going nowhere soon. As long as it’s off the roads, I’m good.

Carolyn great job with Plyo Hiit! Since we don’t eat meat, I’m not sure I can really justify getting an air fryer. Really don’t know that I would use it enough. I use my IP quite a bit, but I have a food processor that is lucky to get used once a month.

This morning I did a timesaver from Step Blast that was listed as 31 minutes, but that didn’t include a warm up or cool down and stretch. My time was 35 minutes after the stretch with 265 calories burned. My average heart rate was 135 and maximum heart rate was 166.

I wanted a short workout today because of WW meeting and I needed to go to the grocery store. I didn’t want to wait until tomorrow for grocery shopping since it will be raining.

Cathy, you inspired me to do Step Blast this morning. It was fun even though I couldn’t keep up with Cathe. I just tried to keep moving.

Valerie, I’m sorry that the skiing didn’t work out.

Hello to Deb, Judy, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Hi,

No workout today. For the last few weeks, I have had some pain in my calf, intermittently, mostly at night. Last night it woke me up at 2:00 am. I started thinking ( worrying of course) and could not go back to sleep. This morning I decided to call my DR and they ordered a Doppler test. I have that Factor V syndrome, which means my blood clots more than normal. My brother has it, and has had a blood clot in his leg, which started with pain in his calf. Thankfully it the test was negative. I do still have that Baker's cyst, which seems to be worse. Not sure what to do with that, or the calf pain. My yearly physical is at the end of the month so will discuss it there.

Speaking of bands:...can any of you put on that firewalker band standing up between exercises? I always have to pause the workout and sit down to put it on. I am envious with how Cathe just flips it on and off!! :)

Another good premix that I read about here on Perfect 30 is Pump Upper/Lower Body Mish Mosh Premix (54 min.). They describe it as PHA Supersets Live class where she does 2 or 3 upper body exercises to burn out the muscle, then 2 or 3 lower body exercises to burn out the muscle, etc.

Cathy, kudos to you for doing those Cathe step routines. She is way too fast for me. I bookmarked all those step tutorials she put on YouTube, but have not taken the time to run through them with an actual step. I think you would like Upper Body Shred. It's a great workout. I hope your thumb is okay.

Carolyn, good job on Plyo Hiit, Jane Adams yoga, and the Step Blast timesaver. I'm with you....too many gadgets already that we don't put to use.

Valerie, that's great that you have a nice selection of bands. Sorry about the skiing and lousy weather.

Hi to Diane Sue, Lori and Judy,

Take care,

good morning. I did 20 on the elliptical yesterday afternoon, let it get too late before I started..
made the shrimp creole from skinny taste for dinner. I thought it was sort of bland , DH thought it was too spicy to eat. he got thru enough of it, complaining all the way. there you go.... I didn't even put hot sauce into the dish, but saved it to sprinkle on my serving. I like it, and it was a 1 point dinner. had it over a mixture of brown rice and quinoa. he did eat the shrimp so a new possibility for low point dinners.

deb I have those bookmarked step tutorials and have not revisited cardio party for a while but will before I do it again. good to know the doppler was neg. DH has had calf pain but his seems to be from statins. he keeps trying but just cant take any amount of those meds for any time without getting muscle pains.

Cathe sure does rip thru those step routines. not even in my dreams! deb my loops are home made ones so maybe larger. i leave the loop on the floor and step one foot in and then the other. maybe your loop is smaller and tighter?

the old bands I have are OK. one is very cumbersome with big plastic end pieces that interfere with everything. I like these new ones. simple, without any interfering parts and nicely graduated resistance.

we did a hike this morning, near the water. it was snowing but not accumulating much. still, 2 hours of significant up and down hill. that's workout for the day. we have a challenging forecast for the next few days with possible snow and colder than normal temp. the DOT is not great at clearing roads since snow is not an "every year" event for us, so it will likely be a mess.
one thing I need to stay on top of is hummingbird feeders. ours hang under the roofline/ deck so it has to be pretty cold to freeze solid. when temps are in the 20's they do. one factor in hummers expanding their range is many people with feeders help them get past cold snaps. we did not have overwintering birds until around 2011. now they stay every year. I bring the feeders in at night, and hang them outside before light so they can tank up early. we have 5 or so that overwinter in our yard.. when its cold I've had them fly to the feeder before I even hang it up.

Cathy I eat more chicken and fish since being on WW but still not a big part of my diet. the WW program makes cheese a high point item so I have cut that way back. I miss that the most. I love cheese.
I use the air fryer mainly for vegetables. Judy's salmon recipe is an exception. DH and I eat huge amounts of vegies. the air fryer speeds the roasting process. capacity is not as big as you think. vegies don't roast well if they are piled up. they need to be spread out to get crispy. the small oven size makes this harder. just like in a regular oven, the top shelf gets brown faster than the bottom one. I use a food processor every day, and a hand blender several times a week.
when we had our big power out 2 weeks ago, I ran into the handle of the wheelbarrow in the garage in the semi darkness. I got a huge goose egg on my upper thigh and a massive bruise. it is finally shrinking back to close to normal. those little surprise hits can really mess up your day!

another product I find good is instant brown rice. its either Minute brand or store brand but cooks in 10 min on stove top and is good.

Last edited:
This morning I did Ramped Up Upper Body, one of my favorite upper body workouts. My time was 52 minutes with 237 calories burned. Average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 256.

Deb, I’m so glad that your test was negative and you didn’t have a clot. And no, I can not put on the fire walker loops while standing! I don’t know how Cathe and crew manage that.

Hello to Everyone and have a great day.

Sorry I have not checked in lately. I have been busy packing stuff and doing the virtual school. Even though it is freezing and icy they still have school. No zoom today though. We got another pod so we need it loaded up tomorrow for them to pick it up Saturday. Also I have had people come during the week days. I have someone coming to look tomorrow morning so I need to get things straightened up and stop packing this evening. I did Step Sync, 250 calories yesterday and today I did Cathe Live Low Impact 40/20 hiit today getting in 185 calories. I have still been getting in over 10,000 steps most days. I will be glad when we are settled. We found a house, but need a buyer soon.

did 20 on the elliptical, then 2 sets of push ups, bicep curls, dips, abs from x train, then 4 assisted pull ups. I've been stronger before, like when I did STS several times, but this time I seem to feel how to activate my back muscles better so, its not all biceps. I never have done a pull up or chin up even when I was young. hopeful this will continue to improve.

DH and I got our vaccines scheduled for this morning. we have been looking every day multiple times and yesterday we found an opening. location is about 10 min away. looking forward to getting both vaccines so we can relax a little bit. not a lot. guess we will see what happens with the variants popping up now. should be able to have an evening with friends who have also been vaccinated. guess we will wait to see how well this works.

diane sue congrats on finding a house and good luck selling yours! cant have one without the other.

This morning I did Lower Body Blast which was 61 minutes and 322 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 150. The floor work in this workout really burns!

Diane Sue, that’s wonderful that you have found a house that you like. I hope that you get a buyer for your current home soon.

Valerie, congratulations on getting that appointment. I was able to schedule an appointment for my husband, but by the time I entered my own information the appointments were all filled.

Hello to Deb, Judy, Cathy, and Lori.

back from vaccine #1. wow, that was easy. Drive thru process, on time, totally slick and organized. I am impressed! could not have been easier. my appt was half an hour after husband's because the 9:45 time slot was full, but they have people giving injections from each side of the vehicle. when we went thru the first check in point, the guy said don't worry, will do both at same time. 4 lines of cars driving thru two tents set up at local airport. line continues for the 15 min wait period after the injection and then out. we drove there, got vaccines, and were back in an hour. the sign up part was the only hard part. this could not have been better. second appt is set for march 5th. Pfizer vaccine.

sitting in the lines knowing this goes on all day every day for months ..... you get a better idea of how massive a project this is going to be.

I have been angry that our state health dept did not seem to have a handle on the vaccine program but after yesterday, I feel I was not understanding. I can't compare to other communities but this was a well thought out operation. smooth and efficient. the sign up process for appointments was frustrating but once signed up, it could not have been easier.

my arm was sore a few hours after the vaccine but I also did 20 intense minutes on the elliptical. got that vaccine spread quickly! this morning minor discomfort is 98% gone.

we got a boat load of snow last night and still coming down. makes for an unholy mess here because it doesnt happen every year and we as a community are poorly equipped to make it less messy. out to shovel the longest driveway in the world.

Last edited:
Really thought I checked in yesterday! Thursday was no workout because I shopped and was awake way to many hours during the night. Yesterday was Disk 15 which is back and biceps. And ouch! my right forearm is really sore. My 1RM for barbell curls is clearly off. I used the weight but was about 4 reps fewer on every round than I should have been and my forearm really thinks using that weight was a very bad idea. Hoping it's better by Monday when I do weights again. Today I did Live Low Impact Cardio Hiit and was supposed to do abs, but wasn't feeling it, so I decided to see how long I could hold a plank. I do them on my elbows since a high plank bothers my wrists. 3 1/2 minutes! And then I stopped because 1) I was feeling it too much is multiple areas of my back and 2) I was getting bored. But I didn't have to stop because of my core which it great.

Valerie great that you were able to get your vaccines. My parents are on two waiting lists, but haven't gotten called yet. And they only live a few miles from Phizer's production facility. Hope you get your drive shoveled without too much issue. We're getting up to 3" today, not sure if we'll need to shovel the whole thing again or not.

Diane Sue fingers crossed that you find a buyer real soon. Packing is always a chore. We've been here since '97 and I'd move in a heartbeat, but DH is to settled. Between the time I was born and '97 I'd moved about 14 times with a 15-20 mile area. My Dad would build a new place and we've move out of where we were living and rent till the new place was built. My Mom was really good and keeping things pared down so moving was easier. And I moved a few times as an adult. I would be quite happy to move every 5 years or so for a new place, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Carolyn great job with Ramper Up Upper Body & Lower Body Blast!

Deb I hope you find a solution to your calf issue. Definitely makes working out difficult.

Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one. That was 25 minutes and 188 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 153.

I was finally able to get a vaccine appointment last night and I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this afternoon. Trying to get an appointment here has been awful, but the vaccine clinic was well run and things went very smoothly. My appointment was at a Kaiser Permanente facility.

Valerie, I‘m glad that your drive through appointment went smoothly. Some people here have sat in car lines for hours for drive through appointments. In fact, that was the case at the VA here this morning. My husband’s appointment is at a different facility on Wednesday, but at least he has one. I’m sure that my arm will be sore too.

Cathy, great job with STS disc 15. Barbell curls cause me to have pain in my elbows and forearms. I don‘t use the barbell for curls anymore for that reason.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, Deb, and Lori.

shoveling more or less complete. still snowing. at least a foot already. ugh. we pay to get our roads plowed and its 1 pm and nobody has been thru yet. our driveway and parking pad are very large and long, and our decks need to be cleaned off too. our driveway goes steeply uphill so we need to shovel it or we will never get out. when the snow melts, it will run into our garage so it needs to be moved off the driveway,parking pad. drudgery. done twice already, and still snowing.

Carolyn, my experience exactly. I got Pfizer too. all is great AFTER getting the appt. I heard about people who got trapped in the drive- thru systems for hours. this is a new process for almost everyone, and the first attempts were not perfect but it looks like learning happened. my arm was sore for a few hours last evening, and that followed the elliptical use. this morning it was fine, and I shoveled for 3 hours and its fine still. Hope your DH has a good experience too. that will be my work for today. yesterday I did 20 on elliptical and Core 2 from x train. I like core #1 better but this is OK too.

I got an EZ curl bar for doing curls. I could tell right away a straight bar isn't right for my hands and forearms. I never bought a straight bar. DH liked EZ better too. if you can find one t try, it felt 100% better to me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.