Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/28

Judy, what style of Hoka One shoes do you have? Do you wear them for your workouts or mostly walkin
Carolyn, I wear the Hoka Bondis for working at HD. I also have another pair of Bondis that I use for high impact workouts. They are so comfortable for work. I've been going through a pair every 2-3 months at HD. The Hoka Cliftons are similar in cushion but a little lighter.

Yesterday was STS Legs last one of Meso 2. Only 9 different exercises plus calves. Today was shopping so I opted for what is generally my rest day, but I need to stretch later. Bought stuff to take up to the boys, so they each have a sack. Nick's has far more in it since he does his own food. Four days out and weather is still looking good. Since temps all over the state will be highs in the 40's and some 50's those days I don't think it'll change so drastically as to snow. May be driving back in some rain though.

Valerie I have Sirius and use it quite a bit though I've traveled far less this second year of having it than I did the first year. I've almost cut my miles driven in half. Interesting that even when I'm driving through forested areas of the UP, I don't lose it. I wonder why you would out there. What's funny is that the only place it cuts out on me up there is by the dorms at NMU. And Marquette has superior service for pretty much everything over the rest of the UP. That's really too bad that your family was unhelpful about college. I had spent the majority of my K-12 years being bored out of my mind and the last thing I wanted was more school. To this day the idea is utterly unappealing to me. Went to work for the state about a month after graduation and by the time I was 21 I owned my own manufactured home, had a car and could cover all my bills. For about 3 years 89-91 I lived with my long time boyfriend, but I could take all his clutter (we are talking immense amounts) and bought a house. Around here back in the late 70's, a lot of the girls went to work for the State and the boys at GM.

Carolyn my sister has been getting one of those meal services for a couple months ordering plant based meals to try a few times a week and build up her recipe supply. For the most part they are really liking it. Great job on the workouts!

yesterday got difficult. I rode for 35 min on dh's mountain bike in the neighborhood because my bike had a flat tire. such a surprise when you pull if down from the rack and the tire is floppy. His bike is bigger than mine and has a lot of fancy features but the fit is not great.
we have not heard anything about our second vaccine so it is looking like we wont be going anywhere this weekend. disappointing. had a dermatology appt this morning. a 1 yr f/up. all was OK. we had about given up on the idea of going anywhere since we had a date of the 5th tentatively, and no clue now when it might happen. teachers were added to the 1b group of first priority and that's what pushed people waiting for their second shot to the rear of that group. damn. taking the day off today, its been a while.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jessica Smith’s Flow Fusion from her Feel Good Fusion dvd. My time was 26 minutes with 168 calories burned. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 154. The workout is actually 35 minutes, but my power went out briefly before the end. I couldn’t get back to my place, so I just finished up with 5 minutes on my on.

Judy, thanks for the info on the shoes. I need to replace both my workout shoes and the ones that I use for walking throughout the day. I have a pair of Reebok CrossFit shoes that I hate. They are so wide across the toe that I call them my clown shoes!

Cathy, nice job with STS Legs. I hope that the decent weather holds for your trip.

Valerie, taking a rest day is a good idea. Do you need an appointment for your shot? I hope it comes through for you.

Hello to Everyone. Have a wonderful day.

we are in the group of mostly older people for second shot. were given a tentative date of 3/5 and told to wait email link notification for day/ time. well, the 5th is here. we got nothing. so much for the MT trip. we needed to go this weekend or maybe monday or tuesday at latest. with no notice at all can't tell anything. there is a huge push here to get teachers vaccinated so kids can go back to school and IMO this took priority over the much of the first group ( 1b) getting second shots. they are adding a whole load of people this new group right now. all the people who were vaccinated a week or so ahead of us have gotten second shots. unhappy is an understatement! no clue when the follow thru will happen except within the next 3 weeks to meet the 3-6 week window after #1. so yes we need an appt, and it has to be in the group we were in for the first shot. I don't care when it is, but "sometimes in the next 3 weeks" is pretty damn vague.

that is odd about sirius. my car is in the shop right now so I'm using our newer Forester with Sirius. its fine on the freeway but on any side road signal is lost more than present. I usually switch to FM instead. really, its terrible. you get a few bars of a song, then lose it and get little flickers of the song so its better to turn it off or switch to FM. we had sirius in our truck/ camper. even added a special outside antenna on the hood, thinking our camper roof overhang was blocking. it helped but not enough. In Montana it works well. much less tree cover. enjoy it on highways but forget it where there are trees.

I worked in grocery stores to put myself thru high school/ college. I needed a future job in sight, not some vague bachelors degree. I was oriented toward medical fields and tried for several areas. I could not afford to go to the university in Madison. could have managed tuition but living expenses were $$$$ in a college town. I had no funds other than what I earned part time as a checker. I had two friends I roomed with for a while. together we could afford it and also live closer to the school. it was a challenging time. it made me brave about moving away from my toxic family. never looked back.

still no word on the vaccine tho its saying in the local paper that it hasn't been scheduled due of lack of the second vaccine. I feel everyone is working hard at this but it is disappointing to need to cancel another trip. if we get notified in the next few days we could still maybe do it, but looking like a no-go. Bummer.

did 30 intense minutes on elliptical yesterday.

my cousin suddenly passed away. he was a little older but has been in poor health for the last 2 or 3 years. still... upsetting. can't go to the funeral, too much air travel involved. they will stream the service online thru the funeral home.

Carolyn, we need an appt and are in a preset group based on first vaccine. it would be nice to get an update even telling us that no second vaccine has arrived yet.

I had a dermatology appt thursday. f/up that went fine. she suggested something else for the itching , as its possible to be hair dye but she didn't think so. constant itching pushed me to think about why I was continuing to fight mother nature. I usually respect her! my in the last year my hair has gone from brown to silver. I think what the derm suggested is working already. too soon to be sure , but its been an annoyance for years. it will be terrific if this itch settles it down.

Cathy that's great you get decent reception. I love sirius on the MT drive. so much to pick from. almost all interstate. out of western WA the tree cover is much less. where I grew up big industry, manufacturing. Men could get a well paying job. most of our fathers had been in WWII, did not get to college. decent wages did not require a degree then. mothers mostly stayed home. most of those businesses are long gone or off shore now. I used to apply for summer jobs everyplace I could get to, and never got anything back. made me motivated to go on to college. I didn't want to be a grocery checker all my life. even that field was overwhelmingly sexist, job categories rigidly divided into men or women. do you remember when the "help Wanted" ads in the paper were divided into men and women? we could be checkers, deli, or office. produce , shelf stocking or wrapping cheese were "mens jobs". no management options. most were decent paying jobs as they were union, but career pathways for women didn't exist. that all changed but in 1970 the writing on the wall ( and on paper) was damn clear. nowhere to go.

Last edited:
Yesterday was Back and Biceps and last of MESO 2. YAY! I had to do the barbell curls at the weight that gave me issues four weeks ago and this time I was able to do it, so definitely seeing improvements. Today I did Cardio Hiit and Core. Good workout but quite a bit of impact. Then I did Stretch Max with the band.

My parents were able to get their first dose of the vaccine this morning. My Mom has a lifelong white coat phobia and early dementia and we were just keeping our fingers crossed that my Dad could get her there as she's been emotionally going back and forth on it ever since they got scheduled. The place they went literally backs up to a Phizer plant. They've announced that as of the 22nd those over 50 here can be vaccinated, so closer to that I'll start looking for where we can get on a list.

Valerie I'm sorry you guys have gotten delayed on your second dose and are just left in limbo. So frustrating. Condolences on the loss of your cousin.

Carolyn great job on the workout!

I'm being extra organized for my trip this time. I already have my clothes packed, that way I won't have to do laundry last minute, plus whatever else I can do ahead of time. Thinking now that I'll head out about 8:30 which allows me time to check out the falls in Munising and maybe do walk the boardwalk. Can't get into my room until 4. Boys are still up in the air about when they can meet with me.

Today I did Strong Body Stacked Sets Lower Body + Extended Stretch. That was 52 minutes and 245 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 157.

I got my 2nd dose of the vaccine this afternoon. There was a long wait outside in line today. There was no line at all the first time. The Governor expanded the eligible group to include educators which is why there was so many people. I was surprised at first but then I started to notice how young many of those in line were. After talking with a couple of women I learned that they were educators. The facility was running about an hour behind schedule—I don’t think they were expecting the larger group today. Of course many were way too early for their scheduled time which was one reason for the long line. The security people were finely able to sort the line into scheduled time groups which helped.

Valerie, I’m sorry about your cousin. It’s hard to lose family members of any age. I hope that your second appointment comes up soon.

Cathy, great job finishing meso 2. I hope that you have nice traveling weather. It sounds like you are very prepared.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.