Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/19

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Agility class yesterday. The weather was beautiful...it got into the upper 50's, just like a spring day. I was a slacker with the house stuff yesterday...it was so nice out.

Diane Sue, I am surprised that a chain restaurant offers bison as a meat choice. Good to know about that S&S premix. Thanks for the info and link.

Valerie, thanks for the link and the recipe. We have a big butternut squash that I may try one with. Funny that you mention that issue on your foot, I have a tiny ball like thing inside the bottom of my foot, just under the ball of the foot. I had thought it was a sliver or something like that, but it is a tiny ball that you can feel from the outside. I wonder if it is one of those neuromas like you mentioned. Maybe not, when I Googled neuroma, it doesn't sound like it. Mine is more like a tiny ball that you can feel.

Carolyn, sometimes you just need to take a "mental" break from workouts as well as a physical one. Thanks for the info on the workouts.

Caitlin, good job on the hill walking! I have been in the Catskills and it is hilly there!

A short Live total body I think, and HouseMax for me today. We have our dog club's awards banquet tonight, Kylee got her Agility Novice Standard AKC title last year so we will be getting an award for that.

Take care,

Last edited:
Good morning ladies,

I have been keeping up with my workouts. My sons GF came over to workout yesterday. She wanted to barre and bounce...which I had no problem accommodating. Was fun having the 2 trampolines. We ended up doing a mixture of SB totaling 50 mins. 325 calories. She loved it. My son is here so they stayed the night and we will do another workout today.

Valerie...thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious so I printed out. I will be making this next weekend! Very nice having a doctor always available. What can you do about the nerve pain in your foot? Do you treat it or does it just subside? Was beautiful here yesterday. Took GiGi for a 2.5 mile walk. She managed to run thru every mud puddle too. :)

Deb...great you did a cardio coach workout. Good choice to get the ball rolling for you. Was so nice here yesterday too. Looking forward to the nice weather. Will be really messy for a while though. We have a ton of snow to melt.

Diane Sue...very impressive with 40# rows. When I did STS I remember being amazed with the weights I was lifting during meso 3. Never did 40# rows though! Nice. After my workout I am planning one of SB's stretches. She just posted a short one that looks really good. I like her stretches and should do them more often.

Judy...hope you are feeling better. My work bought me an IPad Pro and I picked it up on Friday. I do so much work related stuff on my personal IPad and at times have to delete my stuff for work stuff. I built a case due to extra responsibilities they have given me and my boss was awesome about it. Love my new CEO! I decided to get the 12.9 inch and it is huge!! I absolutely love it though and glad I went with the larger size. We also upgraded our phones to the 7plus. We had the regular 6 so this is another huge adjustment. Doing this did not increase our monthly cost and we now have unlimited data which we did not before so this made complete sense. So much competition between carriers now so it benefits us! We can get $150 each on Amazon for our old phones so win win all around.

Carolyn...I feel the same way at times with fast paced workouts in the morning. Sometimes I just need effective but not to intense. This is when I like to do a Jessica Smith workout.

Caitlyn...funny the cart is still there!

Have a great day all!!

Hi Everyone,

I am feeling a little better today. No workouts, but I did a yoga tune up on Friday. The weather has been so nice here, sunny and in the 60's. It feels so good to be out in the sun for awhile. I feel like I could do a workout today but I'm going to wait another day. I don't want to push it. I have an ENT appointment Tuesday afternoon for a follow up.

Deb-Great job getting back to your workouts!

Valerie-great riding! The bike path parking lots were full around here yesterday. Everyone was out.
I remember having a neuroma when I was running long distances, many years ago.

Diane Sue-40 lbs is great for 1 arm rows. 30 is the highest I've gotten to, during STS meso 3.

Caitlin-Walking hills is a great workout. We have a few hills around here that I like to walk when I get out.

Lori-That's great about the iPad Pro and the iPhone 7Plus. Did you get the Apple Pencil for the iPad too?

Hi to Carolyn!

Judy

The recipes are not complicated and very flexible. I use some kind of winter squash most often what I have frozen from the previous year. I absolutely love squash soup and use an immersion blender to make it smooth and creamy.

the neuroma has settled down. I still feel it a little walking barefoot and am sure it is from pressure during standing while spinning. I haven't done a spin in a week now and next time I will use different shoes and pay more attention. it's better when you can pinpoint a cause.

wow Lori what a bonus on apple products! I read a bit and neuromas can be caused by pinching from too tight shoes, or over use type things too, like running too much mileage. I'm taking a one week course of 1/2 dose nsaids since I had the hip pain also, but everything is good today. I wore shoes all the time since barefoot hurt, and backed off on the exercise I thought got the discomfort going. it's just an irritated spot, there is no bump or anything to feel. I've had this before but it's been a long time.
glad it's over with.

Today is a rest day. No plans so far. Tomorrow I will do the first Rapid Fire workout and maybe grocery shopping.

Deb, this chain has several choices for burgers and meats used in taco salad and dishes. They also have veggie burger choices. The awards banquet sounds fun. I hope you have a pleasant evening.

Lori, that is nice that you got an ipad Pro from work. I have a 12 inch Samsung Galaxy tablet and I love it. I carry a large purse and it fits right into it. I did choose a thin cover for it and put a tempered glass screen saver over it. I bet it is fun having your son's girlfriend working out with you with the bounce workouts. I like Suzanne Bowen's stretch dvd. I use it a lot.

Judy, it is probably a good idea to give yourself one more day. I am glad that you are feeling better. It is in the 60's here today and supposed to be in the 70's for a few days. I need to go outside and do a few things while it is nice. My heavier weight is generally 30's and sometimes 35's when a workout is slower paced. I don't think I have done 40's in quite sometime. Maybe during the Body Beast rotation I might have.

Valerie, I was looking at my Practical Paleo cookbook yesterday and it had a butternut squash soup recipe in it that called for the juice of an orange and some orange peel in it. I am not sure I would like it with the orange juice in it though. I use orange juice in my marinade for pork tenderloin with garlic and tamari. That sometimes seems sweet to me.
My husband complains of numb feet. I started buying him Footminder inserts for his shoes which helped. This last time I bought some from New Balance and they seemed to work well for him. I always buy inserts for my shoes. I have the Crossfit Nano Cross trainers that I use mostly for weight work and cycling. They have a lot of toe room. I have some Addidas cross trainers that I like for cardio and step, but there is not a lot of padding in the forefoot.

I like both recipes. I don't think the OJ makes it too sweet, but it depends a lot on how sweet the squash is to begin with. mine is mildly sweet and the juice makes it a little citrusy- tangy nut not what I'd call sweet. I like the flavors together. there are a lot of squash soups with curry spices too but I know DH would not like those. .

Standing on the pedals while spinning puts a lot of pressure on the ball of the foot. my shoes are plenty wide and I use Superfeet inserts. this was unpleasant though so I will look for a way to lessen the pressure with thicker sole shoes or boots.

I took yesterday off, so something today, but not sure what.

Valerie, I made may try with orange juice. I think some of it is whether I am hungry for something a bit sweet or not. I have a coconut curry butternut squash soup that I have been wanting to try. I like a squash soup with sage in it. Since we were talking about it I got out my acorn squash and roasted it and made a recipe from Pinterest that was Coconut Acorn Squash and Carrot soup . It was the only soup recipe that I could find that I had the ingredients for. I would imagine it could be made without coconut milk and substitute a nut milk. It has a Tablespoon of fresh ginger in it. I took it down to about half of a tablespoon. It was a pretty simple low ingredient soup. Onion was the other ingredient and you use an immersion blender. I liked it , but dumped pepper in it as well. Tomorrow I am going to get ingredients for some other soups that I want to try.
I purchased Super Feet inserts once. I had a hard time adjusting to them. They were the green ones. They felt so hard and stiff and I felt like my feet were being pushed in an abnormal condition. I got used to them, but was happy when I was ready for new shoes and new inserts. I know a lot of people really like them. At the time I was looking for something for plantar fasciitis. It seemed I dealt with that for such a long time.

Caitlin, you posted on last week's check in. I guess you got a walk in even though they didn't have mass and confession every Sunday.

I weigh 109 now and a size 2 in gap jeans is too big on me, and I need a size 0. I need to find a church near here that has it every weekend.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Total Body Giant Sets Light Weights. A good total body workout, short but effective.

Lori, nice that you and your son's GF could do a bounce workout together...that had to be something to see! :). That is really good that they got you an iPad for business. It could get really inconvenient, using your personal one for work stuff.

Judy, glad you are feeling better.

Valerie, so you grow your own squash? Glad your foot issue is resolved.

Diane Sue, hope you enjoyed your rest day...was it a family dinner yesterday?

Caitlin, I hope you can find a church near to you....Those small towns in the Catskills can be tough for things like church and shopping.

A workout, and a call to Time Warner to get my email set up on the desktop PC. That should be the last of the "recovery" item I have to do to get everything back. I hate that I lost all my "Favorite" web sites that I had book marked. Those are not recoverable. :(

Take care,

I have blue and green superfeet boots and athletic shoes come with basically nothing so they created a new market for shoe inserts. I am fine with blue or green and move them between shoes
I did total body metabolic again today. I'm getting that one down to memory! I had to talk to my mother... went on long, Then DH had gym until 4:15 so I had basically 45 min to get my workout done. I never focused on one workout and repeated it like this
I made a corn chowder today but I don't like it. edible but not recommended. Deb this is squash from our garden in 2015. I have a supply I cooked from this past summer too but will use it next year. I cook a huge squash 30 to 40 lbs and freeze the flesh in 2 or 4 cup containers and us it the folllowing year

Deb, nice job getting in the live total body giant sets workout. No family gathering yesterday. My son in law is out of country and I have not heard from my daughter for a few days. I need to check on her. I am guessing she still has not got her computer and phone fxed. Shesaid sometimes she can see my texts but can't answer them. She went to the store and purchased a new anti virus program and Malwarebytes. I don't think that will resolve her problem if she was hacked. Things move around and change on her computer. It has also affected her phone. At gave her a new phone but the problem is still there. Oddly my so in laws phone seems to work and that is how I have been able to get a hold of her But he is in Haiti. I think they need to get a land line.
Do you have some of your favorites bookmarked on a tablet or another computer? That is how I was able to retrieve mine.

Valerie, I have always like corn chowder but have not had any in quite some time I have only done recipes in the past that used things like canned creamed corn or some creamed soup as part of the recipe. I would think finding a good healthier version would be hard. One that I made was from a Hungry Girl xookbook. I have not used those cookbooks in a long time. The recipes use a lot of pre packaged ingredients. As I think about shoe inserts I don't think I ever changed out the Cross It Nanos. I do well with them for what I use them for as is. The sole seems nice and wide and it works well for lower body weights and balancing stuff. I just don't like them on the step because the have a gripping tread that seems to catch on the grid of the step.

This recipe used a can of creamed corn along with frozen corn, milk, chicken. it was very bland. I used to buy creamed corn without added sweetener but I couldn't find it recently. this was sweetened. I was trying to use up some chicken I didn't like very much ( some pre cooked stuff I will never buy again) and it didn't camouflage it very well. I added hot sauce to mine but it didn't help much. DH thought it was good! so there you go! everyone is different.

I have a pair of 'studio" shoes that have a fairly stiff section across the bottom of the sole under the forefoot. they were supposed to be for floor exercise, aerobic step. I use them for road riding and will try them for spinning to absorb some of the downward pressure while standing. will wait a little longer before spinning again. I can't wear stiff soled shoes like most wear, to spin my feet get shredded in < 30 min.

I made some broccoli the other day and used the liquid aminos instead of soy sauce. I found it pretty similar but I think it's still a soy based product so if DH thinks it causes migraines, I'm not sure what we have gained here.

My neighbor has 2 iphones , ipad, and not sure what else, but she just got some sort of hack that she could not get rid of by clearing history. it came via Google she thinks, and she had to delete the google app to get rid of it. ( her kids both work in IT) she's pretty careful and says she didn't open an email that was suspicious but it caused problems anyway. apple products have dodged most of this kind of thing. just saying be careful out there.

Hi Everyone,
I had a quiet Sunday and a planned rest day. Today I did STS Total Body for the first time in years. I had forgotten how much I like it. I did it weekly for quite a while before I moved on to other workouts. I usually use 20 or 25 pound dumbbells for one arm rows. Today I used 25#.

Valerie the squash soup recipe looks delicious. I am going to print and add it to my list of things to try.

Deb, good job on getting a workout in. Something short that you enjoy sounds like a perfect choice.

Lori, that's wonderful that you have the IPad Pro for work. Good for your boss for doing that.

Judy, glad that you are getting better. It's a good idea to take it easy for a while.

Diane Sue, I love bison burgers. We had them for lunch one day last week. I am planning to make some soup today or tomorrow. I like to keep some in the freezer for quick meals.

Hello to Caitlin.

I have Giant steps but I did not it yet. I always kickbox with two pound weighted gloves Arms are later. I did get
cardio slam and to the max. Hello to all. I think the shopping cart will be there forever. My tris are burning now.

Last edited:
Today I did Rapid Fire Kick Box and Core Burn, 89 minutes, 638 calories. This one has you using 1# dumbbells or gloves(they use dumbbells) for the shadow boxing then they do not use any weight on the kickboxing. I started with the gloves on for the kickboxing but after the first punching segment I took them off. Then heavy bag which is another good one. I like that she does quite a bit of kicking the bag along with the punches. Then side kicks and back kicks at the end. Finishes with standing core and floor core with med ball and stretch. I went out to get some groceries and ingredients for a smoked chicken sausage and kale soup I wanted to try. I am subbing a yam for the potatoes though. I didn't take advantage of many of the BOGO sales. Most of the items were higher end items so even paying for one was up there.

Valerie, Sprouts canned vegetable area is pretty small and none of it has salt or sugar added to it. I don't remember seeing creamed corn there though, but then again I only go in that area to pick up some peas or green beans for my husband if I don't want to make a trip somewhere else.
It seems I remember making a corn chowder recipe that just had you putting the corn through a blender or something. I bet if you did a search you could find a way to make your own creamed corn our of some fresh or frozen corn. I usually buy the organic frozen. Bland soup is not good.
As far as Liquid Aminos, I don't know if soy causes migraines and headaches. I thought that it generally was MSG that is in some products. My tamari uses alcohol as a preservative. The Braggs is not GMO so that might make it better. No gluten.

I keep an antivirus on my cell phone but have not done it for my tablet. I don't use ATT for my tablet. Only my phone. I only get on wifi with my tablet at home. I avoid the cloud on my tablet. I only sync pictures and calendars between devices. When my daughter told me she was going to get anti virus and malwarebytes I suggested she buy the programs. I had a bad experience downloading Malwarebytes from their website. It fixed some problems on my computer but somehow dragged some viruses with it. I ended up having to take it in and they said when you do it online it sometimes takes other stuff with it. It cost me a lot to get it fixed. I went to Pay Pal to file a complaint but they would not do anything. The hackers seem to be able to get through almost anything. I keep my antivirus on a harder protection which sometimes makes it a bit difficult with some things I try to use. I gave up on coupons.com because Avast always says they are reported as a problem or something like that.

Carolyn, nice workout today. I really like STS Total Body and have used it quite a lot. I think with all of the newer workouts I have gotten kind of sidetracked from some of the ones I was doing a lot. I pick up Bison at Sprouts quite often and use it for chili and recipes like Practical Paleo Spaghetti Squash Bolognese. I love that recipe. It is much leaner than the beef. I think I will need to figure the macros on the soup I am making tonight as I am switching it to yams and I bought chicken smoked sausage when the person that posted the recipe says they used Eckridge kielbasa. Their breakdown has it pretty low in calories at 247 calories. I didn't see how many servings they had it at though. The squash soup I made yesterday was 1.25 cups per serving. I ate more like 2 cups. If it is the meal I think anything 1 cup is not much.

I don't think either liquid aminos or tamari I have have msg. thnk they are non gmo too. DH thinks maybe the soy is migraine related for him but I'm not convinced. I don't use much of either one because of it. I could not remember the specific reason I bought the liq aminos if they are both soy based. we don't care one way or the other about gluten . at this point, I think taste wise they are interchangeable. I certainly don't want to cause headaches but this was a very tenuous connection.

I think to get the "creamed corn" flavor, some sweetener is going to be needed. I prefer to use sugar rather than HFCS but then beyond that it it doesn't matter to me if I add the sugar or if the Del Monte did. I try to get the brand with the least added but it's hard to figure it out for sure. I suppose you could use the frozen or canned corn that is super sweet variety, but I don't like the taste of those and it seems that sugar is sugar and I don't want the soup actually sweet. .

Carolyn I think I have STS total body but haven't looked at it in years. I did STS several times 3, I think. I keep looking for an uninterrupted stretch of time to repeat it and it hasn't happened. I feel fine about my shoulder now, so that is finally not a reason to hold back. thanks for a reminder.

Good evening ladies...

I was short on time this morning so I did SB's workout that was scheduled for tomorrow which was Counter Top Upper Body. You do the workout against your counter top. I kind of liked it and felt it worked my tris. It was only 14mins. Not much of a workout but something. Tonight I did SB's advanced streaming bounce with the chair move leaning from the barre. First time I was able to get thru the chair move without coming out of it a bit! Yeah!!!

Judy...glad you are feeling better. I did not get the pencil. It was $100 and I wasn't sure if I really needed it. Figured I could always add on if I felt I did need it.

Valerie...glad the neuroma is better. Every now and then the ball of my left foot hurts for no apparent reason and it lasts for a couple of days then goes away as quickly as it came. I love corn chowder and have fond memories going to a favorite restaurant with my mom just for the corn chowder. That scares me about the viruses on the iPhones. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Diane Sue...I usually have large purses so not worried about traveling with the Pro. I usually bring my laptop back and forth from work and it easily fits in my laptop case. My husband is amazed at all the sneakers I have. I have a different pair for pretty much everything I do. I am funny like that.

Deb...it was a lot of fun working out with Chelsie. She loved the barre and bounce workouts. Think she is coming over Saturday to workout again. She has a key to our house so I told her she could come over anytime to use our gym. She just may do this! Great job on the giant sets. That is a favorite of mine. Hard to believe only 8lb weights.

Carolyn..yes thanks for the reminder on the STS workout. Been ages too since I have done that workout! Which rotation are you doing? February?

Caitlin...I use 1lb hand weights for kickboxing if I am shadow boxing. I find 2lbs just a little too much for me doing fast moves. Good for you using 2s though!

Have a great night all!

Valerie, maybe less creamed corn in a recipe and more non creamed corn would cut down on the sweetness. I do not like the taste of diet sweeteners. A lot of the time when making desserts for my husband that I know I may eat as well I use some coconut palm sugar for part of the sweetener. I do this in the streusel topping etc. for the Crustless pumpkin pie I make for my husband. It calls for brown sugar. It is still sugar but I think the fiber and lower glycemic index is better and it tastes good to me. I would just try variations on the how much of the creamed corn to use till I got what I wanted. Sometimes it works.

Lori, good job on getting the workout in this morning. Also getting in the bounce workout. I have lots of fitness shoes but most of them I just wear for everyday. Nice work on the chair move today.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I got caught up in calls with Time Warner, and Microsoft, trying to recover my old emails and contacts. No luck yet. :(

Valerie, what are blue and green superfeet boots? Is it butternut squash that you grow and freeze? that is my favorite. First I ever heard of an Apple product getting a virus or being hacked.

Diane Sue, your daughter's problem sounds worse than mine was! No, my favorites were only on this one computer so they are lost for good. I really want my email back, with contacts etc. HP backed up the files, but for some reason they are not importing to Outlook. I should probably look into shoe inserts for bunions..if there is such a thing.

Judy, glad you are feeling better.

Carolyn, STS Total Body is a great workout. So easy to forget because it is a stand alone.

Caitlin, good workouts! LOL on the shopping cart. You would think the store would want it back. You should take it on your next hike down.

Lori great workouts! Did you update the Excel version of the Live list? What is the chair move?

Class this morning with Kylee....maybe get back on the phone with HP to see if they can figure out my file issue...

Take care

Superfeet are a brand name for arch supports. They are color coded for the type of support each offers. Probably at least (??) 15 different ones geared to different foot issues. they are otc and are sold in most sports stores. Boots and athletic shoes are sold with a squishy little inner liner. many people automatically buy a more substantial arch support to replace it something suitable to their foot type.Superfeet hold up absolutely forever..... decades. I swap them from boot to boot. I have a bad 1st metatarsal joint, left foot. It looks like a bunion but is something else. the joint is not pushed out of place at all like a bunion but is enlarged since there is not a joint there anymore. might need bone shaving surgery on it eventually. Arch supports stabilize things.

We grow two kinds of squash blue Hubbard and butternut. Hubbard get huge 20 to 40 lbs I chop them up and cook and freeze. The butternuts are smaller and mostly I peel chop and roast . Cooked Hubbard from the previous year is what I use for soup. I've used butternut too, but roasted butternut holds its shape and browns while hubbard goes to mush. so it's better suited for soups or pies. Google "winter squash varieties" to see the range of colors and sizes. Pumpkins are in there too, all closely related but wow ...different looking shapes and colors.

I did cardio supersets yesterday and will do ramped up this morning or maybe afternoon depending. meeting some friends for lunch today.

I too have not heard of many apple product hacks. they have been overlooked. the potential is there especially if they get more popular and hackers get better at hacking. my neighbor is no dummy and not careless. if it happened to her it can happen to anyone. I have been reading about ransome-ware and it's scary.
still confused about soy products. the liq aminos are a non gmo soy product. the tamari is organic soy based product, neither has msg. tamari does not use any wheat products to produce it, so both are GF. I think they are pretty much the same thing, produced a little differently.

Caitlin, shopping carts cost hundreds of dollars each to a store and usually identify the store. why not walk it back to the store it came from?

Judy hope you are fully back to normal now.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.