Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/17

Today I did Cardio Slam which was 49 minutes and 322 calories burned. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Deb, Strong and Sweaty PHA has two sets of exercises and it repeats each set three times. I omitted the third repetition of set two. It was for time reasons, not because of any specific exercises.

Valerie, I’m the same about eating desserts. If I have one I want the original with the taste that I am craving.

Judy, thanks for the clip from HASfit lower back and hip. It looks good. I have developed a new appreciation for Cathe’s lower body mat work recently. She includes many of the same exercises that I see recommended in workouts for hips, knees, and low back.

Diane Sue, I love having my children come home. I wish they could live closer, but that’s not possible. We haven’t traveled much this past year and a half, but we like to travel to visit them sometimes.

Hello to Lori.

I did Cardio Slam Timesaver #1 no mat 34 minutes,average heart rate 142, max 179, met 9.30, 267 calories, 2,718 steps. I then did Lite Metabolic Bonus calorie crush, 11 minutes, heart rate average 141, max 169, met 9.0, 79 calories, 1,139 steps. I also did Strong and Sweaty bonus abs, 13 minutes, heart rate average 111, max 132, 197 steps, met 5.0, 50 calories. I finished off with Coffey Fit Raw Foam Roller stretch, 24 minutes, 66 calroies, heart rate average 91, max 115, met 3.0, 174 steps. Total time was 82 minutes, calories burned 462, 4,228 steps.

Deb, you might try some ashwagandha capsules. I seem to consume a little from other sources as well as the rest and recovery. I was taking one mid afternoon for awhile, then wondered why I was feeling so drowsy before bedtime. So, I just take it when I feel I need it. I think it takes adjustment for each individual on how much is needed. There are also different qualities of the product, like most natural supplements. Much of Dr Axe stuff is fermented, so that it is partially digested when you take it so it works better I guess. I have seen a few other companies do that.

Valerie, I make a lot of my icings with cream cheese or sour cream and once in awhile just light cream cheese with some whipped topping folded in and melted sweet chocolate and no powdered sugar. It usually goes over well with the family. I think one of the reasons I love German Chocolate cake is that I love nuts .
Also I like to make pound cake with berries and no frosting which is one that everyone loves.

I had two of my younger grandchildren here for awhile this afternoon. My daughter had a hair appointment. Luckily she got them to move it up and get home before the ice starts building. It is frosty right now, but as temps drop tonight it will be worse. There was no school today in anticipation of bad roads. I don't think the snow is coming though.

Judy, nice active recovery day. Thanks for sharing the stretch clip.

Carolyn, I really appreciate having my family all close to me. Not many have that. I was worried for awhile that my granddaughter was going to leave the state after she got married, but then she chose law school here and I think both sets of parents were happy for that. I see we both did Cardio Slam today, except I skipped the mat portion. Usually I do that without the mat, but just did not feel like doing those moves today.

Did a rev'd up rumble short one, about 30 min. should have started earlier, would have had time to do the whole thing. . having guests for dinner and got a little carried away with cleaning ( DH did most of it) and other prep. we still want to go to MT while the snow is good, since we can't seem to get lucky here. we usually clean before we leave so we don't come home to messy house, so felt it had 2 purposes

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Low Impact Sweat then one of my mix and match with Chelsie. She loved it. So we will do one everyother day and bounce the others. I also did another 40 min bounce at work. I love bouncing at work. Really gets my energy going.

Deb...the channel is BodyBarre. Their logo is on the start of the video so you know when you see it. They do not charge for their channel. The only thing I can think of is Youtube now charges if you want commercial free. If there is a commercial then it is in the beginning of the workout. So it does not interrupt your workout at all. Hope you had some relief with your hip pain today.

Carolyn....I thought they all traveled. My son lives close and we work together and I cherish our time. I know this will not always be the case and the time will come soon enough that he will be moving away. He has been talking about CA where his brother lives (his dad has 2 boys from a previous marrage). They are close and work in the same field, so I know this day is coming.

Diane Sue...do you follow Amy on FB or does she have her own site? As you know, I have fallen in love with rebounding and a tad obsessed. :). I love how you are very close to your family..both logistically and as a family. It is nice.

Valerie...30 min workouts can be good. We clean before we go on vacation too. I like coming home to everything fresh. Enjoy your company!

Judy...thanks for the link. Looks like a great stretch. Sometimes my lower back aches, especially after deadlifts. Going to keep this in mind. More unpredicted snow is our life here. So hard to get the weather right at times here in New England.

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I spent so much time on my feet yesterday, between going to 2 different classes, and having to go back and forth between them to switch dogs. Both my knee and hip felt great last evening. Kind of makes me wonder..

Valerie, How was the dinner? I clean like a mad woman before company. Well, the worse happened, with trying to manipulate the fabric of the weight inside the glove, and pulling the zipper, the zipper pull broke off. Ugh...I may resort to buying a new pair. I really like the way these are set up, to be able to add 1/2 pound at a time, but a very poor design. I can't imagine subbing sauerkraut for coconut? When are you planning on leaving for MT?

Carolyn, ahh.. that makes sense. I love how Cathe thinks of those types of premixes. Your children live in nice areas to visit.

Diane Sue, I hope you didn't get the ice that you mentioned. Do you think the ashwagandha is good for a sleep aid? I have been falling asleep easily lately, and not waking up until about 3:30...I wish I could just sleep longer.
Lori, thanks for the info...maybe that was it...YouTube asking me to sign up...not BodyBarre...It is so great that your son still lives close by and you can spend a lot of time together. Also that you and Chelsea get along so well.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

a good plan to have guests once in a while, so we get focused and clean everyth:ping! DH is a great house cleaner while I am as great. I've done it too long. so since he retired he does major cleaning. I do most of the spot cleaning during the week but for the big vacuum/dust/ wash floors, he does it now. if we are having guests, I do the cooking so we both are out of each others way.
We are hoping to head for MT this weekend, but now it sounds like we are in for another round of snow. there are factors like being the first "land" to get pacific storms. makes forecasting uncertain. might be more snow, might be cold rain, depending on convergence of weather systems today. a degree or two can make all the difference. I served the sheet pan dinner with the potatoes, broccoli and romesco sauce I posted a while ago, and everyone liked it. it was easy to make while everyone was here. I had all the ingredients prepped. it is a good "casual company" dinner.
off to do a walk since its not raining ( or snowing) yet. Deb, if just the pull came off, you can thread a big paper clip onto the remaining zipper part if the loop where it was attached is still intact. if it broke, then you can get a zipper repair kit at a fabric store, but the repair will end up costing as much as replacing the gloves.

Last edited:
Well, I took an unplanned rest day today. I didn’t get up early enough this morning to work out before my meeting. Of course, when I returned I had no enthusiasm for a workout.

Hello to everyone. I hope you are having a nice day.

Today I did Cathe Lite Pyramid Lower body, 45 minutes, heart rate 105 average, 161 max, met 6.5, 259 calories, 1,274 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw legs and glutes finisher, 17 minutes, met 6.0, 79 calories, average heart rate 106, max 154, 597 steps. I finished off with Lite extended stretch #1, 13 minutes, 40 calories. Total time was 75 minutes, 378 calories.
Pyramid legs and glutes weights reps for all but calves 12,10,8,10,12
rear slide lunges 8,10,12 10,8 lb dbs
step ups 3 risers 12,15,20,15,12 lb dbs
side slide lunges 10,12,15,12,10# db
elevated lunges 10,12,15,12,10 lb dbs
cross back sliding lunges 8,10,12,10,8 lb dbs
dead lifts 12,15,20,15,12 lb dbs
calf raises 30,25,20 25,20 reps 12,15,20,15,12 lb dbs
Raw Legs And Glutes Finisher timed
squats 20# dbs
no weight fast squats toes forward then toes facing out
front lunges with pulses 15lb dbs then regular lunges alternating
lunge shooters no weight
reverse lung down up down alternating 15# dbs
no weight reverse lunge touch down to the floor alternating
front/side/together lunge holding dumbbells together with a break so two sets 15# dbs
split lunge hop then out hop and back alternating sides
finishing with bridges in a figure 4 using a 10# dumbbell then bridges with feet elevated on dumbbells finishing with bridges knees in and out

Last night my grandson 18 came over and had dinner with us :) I was making tacos for my husband and he loves tacos. It is always nice to have him come to visit.

Valerie, it is always nice to come home to a nice clean house after being away. I guess guests are a motivator ;) I came to that conclusion when I had the zipper pull come off of one of my weighted gloves. I just decided to leave them as they are since I do have a 1#, 1.5# and 2# pair of weighted gloves. I probably do not need to remove the weight packets anyway. Eventually I will just get some new ones.

Lori, your workout plan with Chelsie sounds like a good one. That is great that she is enjoying it. Yes, once you got started on the bounce workouts, you were definitely hooked ;) Amy did have two facebook pages. She just announced she was getting rid of one of them and just keeping here family one which we can all go to. Then she said she just got things set up with equipment and was filming. She named a couple of the first workouts that she is going to put up. I will have to go look for that and post it. Did you check her out on Youtube?

Deb, the ashwaganda really does help me to sleep. Funny though that everything says it helps with energy and promotes restful sleep. I see that on this reishi mushroom, and holy basil as well. All 3 are supposed to help with rest, stress, and cortisol levels from the descriptions that I have read. The ashwaganda is usually best if it is leaf and root. It seems to be a growing popular trend now. The same goes for the Four Sigmatic coffee and matcha drinks. I have used Lions mane for several years and now they are always running out of it on the store shelves when I go to Sprouts. I just pick up the elixer instead which actually has more lions mane in it anyway and put it in my coffee instead of having the all in one packet. The elixers have some other adaptogens and herbs added to them. I use it for helping the irritation from the nerve damage in my neck. A lot of people use it for mental clarity, but I had found it looking for something to help that itching and burning crawly feeling in the damaged nerve. It really does work, but I have to be consistant. I quit and that feeling comes back. I am generally falling asleep much more quickly. I still wake up at night, but that is usually for a bathroom break and not as early as I used to wake up. Sometimes I don't wake up till 4 am. Which means I have slept quite awhile as I try to go to bed between 9 and 10. Preferably 9. Once in awhile I pick up some of the Four Sigmatic Reishi elixer packets. It is not a nice tasting mushroom. They add a bit of mint and some herbs to it to mask the bit of bitter taste. But, in coffee with some cream it is not bad. I think the ashwaganda works better for me.
I am glad that your leg feels better even after the two classes.

Carolyn, I never have enthusiasm after being out. Enjoy your day off. We usually make up for it just fine after the break.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

edited to add: read the description of today's LIVE workout..and the post from Cathe afterwards......you will never see me doing this one! :)

Valerie, that works regarding cooking/cleaning. We always do a whirlwind of mostly "picking up" when we are going to have company. Our house is not dirty, but looks messy because we leave stuff around, papers, books, things like that. Yes, still not sure what to do about the glove. I can put a paperclip on the zipper, but it still won't open. I'm pretty sure its caught on the fabric of the weight inside.

Carolyn, sometimes those unplanned rest days are good. Hope you had a good meeting.

Diane Sue, good job on the pyramid lower body. Did you add those bridges at the end? I don't remember them, Then again, maybe I have not done that premix yet, I'm not sure. I think I will do what you are doing with the gloves, put the other weight in the one that opens, and just make them always be 1 pound gloves. I really liked the option to increase by 1/2 pound, especially on shoulder work, but it is what it is. Wow, great info on those supplements. You are a wealth of information!

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb, all four of my weight gloves that are Cathe gloves have stuck zippers. The bridges were on the Raw legs and glutes finisher. I added that to the Pyramid Lower. Kelly adds bridges to a lot of her workouts.
I think the live workout looks complicated for some people. Familiar moves, but learning the sequence would be a challenge for sure. I wonder if she will be all of the jumping on and off the step she does on calorie crush from the step workout.

Last edited:
This morning I did LiTE Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper Body + Abs 2 + Extended Stretch 2. My total time was 70 minutes with 358 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 165. I think a rest day was just what my body needed, even though it wasn’t planned.

Did anyone see the clip that Cathe posted on Facebook from her first video 30 years ago? How far we have all come!

Deb, that’s funny about Cathe’s Live Class today! I had a similar thought. I haven’t done the Calorie Crush with the step yet, because I feel like I need to look at it again. That Live class is a celebration of her 30 year anniversary.

Diane Sue, you had a great lower body workout yesterday with Pyramid Pump Lower and Raw Legs and Glutes Finisher. It’s wonderful that your grandson came over for dinner.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Lori.

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Home Gym Intervals #2 using the tread climber and 10# dumbbells, 36 minutes, heart rate average 124, max 159, 1,575 steps, 229 calories, met 9. I was surprised at the steps, but this one does have quite a bit of weight work and only three cardio intervals. I also did not take lighter weights downstairs, but still managed everything with the 10's. I then did Ripped with Hiit Upper Circuit, 48 minutes, heart rate 124 average, 161 max, 339 calories, met 8.5, 2,070 steps. I wanted a bit more of the upper so did Pyramid Pump triceps and biceps 16 minutes, heart rate average 112, max 137, met 6.0, 80 calories.
Total time 100 minutes, 648 calories, 3,858 steps
Pyramid Triceps and Biceps
super sets reps 12,10,8,10,12
triceps
standing kickbacks 8,10,12,10,8 # dbs superset with
lying extensions on the ball 10,12,15,10,12 # dbs
biceps
standing sweeper curls 10,12,15,12,10# dbs super set with
incline curls on the ball 10,12,15,12,10# dbs

Carolyn, sometimes it takes a forced rest day for us to realize we had needed that rest. Nice workout today. I like those extended stretches. The length is just right when I do not have time for something longer, but really want more of a stretch. I caught a glimpse of Cathe on facebook and remember her very first workouts. We have come a long ways since then.

Deb, I agree, house is not 'dirty" but messy. once things are put where they should be, it looks better, and a quick run thru with the vacuum and a damp mop is all it takes. we seem to drip and spray coffee everywhere. if diane sues gloves are all stuck, maybe there was a QC problem with the gloves. sometimes its not worth the time and energy to try and fix something that does not want to be fixed.

went skiing this morning for 2.5 hours. it was beautiful out but snow was again not good at all. "bad" in a different way than last time. we didn't used to have this much trouble but some years are worse than others. snow had a thick crust that broke when we skied across it. nothing fluffy or powdery about it. it was barely OK so we called it "exercise" and quit and went back to the car. sometimes the lower part is nasty, but going up in elevation helps, but we were not going to get high enough to help.

Carolyn brave of you. I won't look at Calorie crush... way way too far beyond my abilities. I will stick to what I can do, and that is NOT step.

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I took a rest day. Yesterday was another active rest day, I did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga and a 15 minute total body workout from Walk Strong 3. Today I did an indoor ride using the Peloton app. I signed up for a 2 week trial of the app for cycling workouts. They have quite a variety of rides. I am enjoying the app so far.
I went to Home Depot this afternoon to finish getting set up in their system. I start this weekend. Saturday is an orientation from 9-12, then next week I'll be there Monday, Wednesday and Sunday for training.

Deb-I am the same way when we have company coming, I clean like a mad woman, lol! Our condo isn't dirty but it does get a little disorganized and messy at times.

Carolyn-Nice job with Stacked Sets Upper! Great calorie burn too. I always feel stronger after rest days. Today I felt so much better after taking Tuesday off and taking it easier yesterday. I saw that clip from 30 years ago too. Yes, we have come so far!

Diane Sue- Awesome workout today! That's very nice that your grandson came over for dinner this week. It's good to have family close by. That was great info on the supplements, like Deb said. I need to try Ashwaganda.

Lori-Doing yoga and stretching has really helped with my low back issues. For a while I didn't think I would be able to continue doing deadlifts but now I am able to do them regularly.

Valerie-Nice job with the skiing! The forecast doesn't look very good for this weekend. Are you going to be able to go to MT this weekend? Have a safe trip if you do.

Have a good night!

Judy

Valerie, sorry the snow is not good. At least you got some skiing in.

Judy, nice active rest and ride using the app. Do you think you will pay to continue using the app? I have liked using ashwagandha. It has so many things it helps with. I bought a packet of Ancient Nutrition Keto Meal to try for lunch today and it has ashwagandha and moringa in it. It had a lot of stuff in it and I added it to plain whole milk yogurt and I stayed full all afternoon. No desire for a snack which was nice. Keto meal is pretty expensive though.

Diane Sue-Thank you. I'm thinking about just doing a month or two so I can do one of the cycling programs they have. I might consider looking at a Peloton bike in the future too, but that won't be for a while.
I will try to pick up some Ashwagandha this weekend. It sounds like something I need.

Reactions: WD
This morning's workout was Lite Cardio Party Double it mix, 66 minutes, heart rate average 147 max 178, 451 calories, met 8.20, 6,534 steps. I wore 1# gloves throughout. Funny, my Fit Bit gave higher calories than map my fitness today. The other day I was sitting in the kitchen reading and my Fit bit app congratulated me for my 12 minutes on the eliptical LOL I don't own an elliptical and I was sitting. I also did Fit Split BOnus abs 14 minutes, 53 calories, met 5.0, heart rate average 99, max 143, 203 steps and Lite extended stretch #2 11 minutes, 32 calories, met 3.50, 17 steps. Total time was 80 minutes, 6,754 steps.
My husband is off today and we have reservations for a nice restaurant this evening. It is our sort of valentines day and his birthday which is next week celebration :)

Judy we are getting nowhere fast waiting for good roads. weather not looking good this weekend either. this week it was below zero a lot and that is also harsh for outdoor activity. we wanted to go , spend a week or so, be back by mid march. we both scheduled all health care appts in one week rather than scattered . we might have to do the drive in 2 days so we can get to our house early enough to deal with driveway snow if it's there. we have a remote camera but can't be sure, plus conditions can change quickly. will ask out neighbors to take a look for us before we leave. if we do a 12 hour drive we will not be eager to shovel out our driveway when we get there. if theres a lot of snow, might need to get it plowed. some years it gets build up, other times not. depends on the wind and how much snow falls.

Judy what is special about a Peloton bike? is it a spin bike with extras?

even though the skiing wasn't good, its a huge calorie burn. some years we can't hit it right! it was a gorgeous day but sometimes the sunshine with warmer daytime temps and then refreezing at night leaves a nasty crust on other wise ample snow.

Valerie-yes, the Peloton Bike is just a spin bike but it comes with a tablet that can only be used to stream Peloton classes. It measures your power output and other parameters and you can see how well you are doing compared to other participants, when doing classes. The classes cost an extra $40 a month if you have the bike, but the app is only $20 a month if you don't have the bike and are using an iPad. You only get the classes, no data if you go that route. The bike itself costs over $2000 so adding in the monthly fee, it gets to be pretty expensive.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.